Picked this up for $15 at a thrift store it doesn't have a power cable how do I test if it works...

Picked this up for $15 at a thrift store it doesn't have a power cable how do I test if it works? it is from 1949 and doesn't look like a normal plug

Attached: FridenSTW10-513-IMG_2662-5.jpg (500x353, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1X3ivZfSfW4
archive.org/details/FridenSTWServiceManualEnglish
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fabricate your own.

You're pretty fucked

You can make your own with some tinfoil and two knives.

Pretty sure a lot of these use fairly standard two-pin detachable cables.

>look on machine for voltage it takes
>look on machine for Amps it needs
>get variable power-supply with alligator clips
and so and so forth

>normal plug
more like botnet

It's an early calculator. It doesn't support PRISM access so it's illegal to use today.

Just stick it on ebay as untested and let the buyer deal with it.

Why would you buy something you clearly don't have the skills to troubleshoot and repair on your own?

Every idiot that goes out and buys old electronics and electromechanical equipment to "collect" because they saw some asshat on youtube doing it takes a piece of history away from a collector that does actually have the relevant skills to restore and refurbish the damn thing. All it's gonna do in your basement is sit there collecting dust until you inevitably throw it away.

I actually repair electromechanical calculators as a hobby. They're not rare. I don't care if some asshat buys one to sit on a shelf, they do look cool.

If that's true then why are you asking how to re-terminate a plug. It's a basic skill that anyone that does repair should know.

LOL, good luck!
youtube.com/watch?v=1X3ivZfSfW4

Attached: Untitled.png (851x435, 858K)

have you tried inserting it into your anus?

Spend a little time and you may be able to find a manual/repair manual.

That's one thing nice about older stuff like this, its straitforward and everything is big, easy to work on, and testable usually.

To learn

The amount of work that went into electromechanical calculators is incredible, same with old teletypes and linotypes and a million other kinds of machines. I met a guy at a phone museum who is a retired military teletype repairman and he had a beautifully working 1950's vintage unit on display there for people to demo.

It will take dedicated autists to conserve and repair this kind of stuff, it's all obsolete commercially. Keeping stuff like this in operation is a noble pursuit and for the right kind of person can be an extremely satisfying hobby that has the potential to be a career.

It won't be too long before every camera repair person, teletytpe repair person, etc. has passed on and autists will be the only people who can get and keep this old gear in operation.

>its straitforward and everything is big, easy to work on
He spent an entire week trying to diagnose a small part in the guts of the machine that was slightly bent out of shape and jamming the entire clear function.

It has an integrated power supply so it's just a matter of rewiring a normal cable to fit the jack. To test you could hack the end off an old IEC cable and wire it directly in behind the socket, though it would be ideal to use a variac to power it up in case it starts smoking. anything that gets fried on a device that old will be easily replaceable though

>look on machine for Amps it needs
you don't need to do this, it will only draw as much current as it needs.

youre making it sound like autism is a good thing

for fuck shake why do you faggots always get amazing shit for nothing
I fucking hate my country, nothing good ever comes on the thrift store

go on OP, answer this one.

how the fuck could anyone design this monster

they must live in big cities or something.

the economy there is more efficient because you can actually sell used stuff on craigslist locally. So of course they get lots of good deals from people wanting to turn X product into 50% of it's original cost.

loled at this piece of truth

That's exactly why you need to know how many amps it *NEEDS*, otherwise you risk of underdriving it.

archive.org/details/FridenSTWServiceManualEnglish

hope this helps

True

I'm not OP, fucking obviously. Can you fuckers read?

Carefully

Sad but kekd

>takes a piece of history away from a collector
Kek, being a "collector" does not give you any special rights, in fact if you call yourself a "collector", you should not have any rights at all.