Real talk: do you feel like social networks were a bad invention? Why?

Real talk: do you feel like social networks were a bad invention? Why?

Attached: file.png (276x183, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YjbyDU0WzYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Theyre not all bad. I like bonbibonkers on tiktok

Attached: BonbiBonkers.photo_2019-01-12_00-25-58.jpg (1024x1280, 119K)

no
you're free not to use them, I don't

I can't imagine how much it would suck to have every single embarrassing moment of your life from day 1 being recorded and cataloged, and then uploaded to facebook for all eternity. I truly feel for kids who grow up with social media. Suicide rates among teens are going to be insane in the next decade.

No, they are interesting as a technology and part of culture.
However it's bad for you to use them. Even gaming(done right) might be more beneficial for you than browsing facebook.

Yes, because they enticed normalfags onto the internet.

Also yes, because they support advertising as a business model. We wouldn't have all the privacy problems we have today if it weren't for advertising providing a monetary incentive to snoop on people.

Is not bad, but for sure is causing ansiety.

>can't imagine how much it would suck to have every single embarrassing moment of your life from day 1 being recorded and cataloged

That's why you don't post stupid shit online.

Have sex

Discord

i would say they were a bad invention the same way the pet rock was a bad invention. it really was very unnecessary.

They’re great but capitalism ruined them.

Yes. It sucks the life out of the internet, enables and praises shitty self-destructive behaviors and has reduced public policy and decision making to favoring whichever group of squabbling dipshit toddlers cries the loudest and most obnoxiously no matter how uninformed and ultimately aimless they are.

But there's nothing we can do about it, Pandora's box has been opened and now we're stuck with this garbage forever, all we can do is make the best of it with competent memetic engineering.

Yes and no.
Yes, it ruined society almost completely.
No, It helped me get pussy.

Attached: 1542976461382.jpg (317x641, 32K)

My wife and I have sworn off social media since myspace flopped. I just don't see many positives to it.

>helped me get pussy

elaborate

Nice bait, u got me

Invention? They were inevitable, I just hate the fact that it's controlled by CIA monkeys. Not to mention that it helps ups connect with dumb and horny people mostly, very few sites like 4channel.

Attached: 1557439139804.jpg (750x730, 515K)

they control a significant portion of all human communication and have overshadowed traditional communication methods, and they are heavily monitored and manipulated by the companies that run them to generate revenue for themselves and their advertisers that pay them, and they do not respect your rights as an individual because they have enough power and influence to not have to bother

yes they're a bad invention, holy shit. anybody that says no is deluding themselves

satan post best post

no, but the motivation of growth upon growth quarter by quarter is sure to bring the unscrupulous forward.

Thanks for the wise words dark one.

you not posting it doesn't stop anyone else from posting it

yes they destroyed the internet

Based

Attached: 1551581764557.gif (480x270, 2.82M)

morningstar, light bringer dropping knowledge yet again.

Social Media is a massive brainwashing machine and has so many things wrong with it that it is objectively bad for our society

Yet society at large argues if video games are bad for you (they are not) but social media is almost universal it is has been adopted by all generations and nobody is realizing the chains they are putting on there feet social media brainwashes it converges all opinions to a centre it exposes you to the chaos that is the world and it can be extremely damaging i mean Jow Forums itself has demonstrated how social media can easily be weaponized

this is the simple truth

leave now before it becomes too late
you want to be on the outside trust me
you want to be living a happier life without distractions or bullshit focus on what is important

that being said i am not saying do not use a computer or do not utilize technology but rather use it as a tool rather than a toy and stop wasting away being fed bullshit and not having an original thought because your thoughts are all based on what an A.I is feeding you

The botnet is real and it is an evil machine masquerading behind pretty logos and flashing lights

I don't really care about them as I don't use them. Most probably never will use them in the future too btw.

They were a good idea, but got taken way too far. The cons far outweigh the pros. While its great that marginalized individuals have access to information and resources, the feeling of constant contact with people we dont actually care about is terrible for our mental health. Think about Seinfeld. After a breakup, it was over. That's it, kaput. You didnt have immediate access to each other, and, more importantly, you didnt need it.

The Zucc has too much of a monopoly (Facebook, Instagram, Whatsup), and social media changed when it moved towards identifying it with your real name and real life. Back when Facebook started shit like Livejournal was a competitor, I miss the old internet.

yes
nobody needs to constantly know what random strangers on the internet are doing

Everyone who isn't a serial killer is on social media. Your resume goes straight to the trash if I can't find your profile.

Not true, I've landed two pretty good internships (and I'm in finance which is full of normalfags) without any social media presence whatsoever.

that's just it, the people you see on these sites are anything but random.

no user
you don't need to stalk that girl

Video games ARE bad for you. They are literally the same brainless placebo timesink shit as social media, possibly even worse because they can actively suck your money, vs facebook which only does it passively. They also are mostly nonfree closed source software which means they are just as much of a botnet as facebook. Delete the fortnite and the league of legends now before they consume even more of your soul.

no, I use them to communicate with my family and friends. I only use the chat thought, I don't even know (or care) how to post in facebook. They are mostly a glorified Microsoft Messenger.

Fuck you, you'll be the first to go

this, get a hobby that makes you create shit. Games are passive (even if they have input) hobbies, just like movies and books (novels). Also, Jow Forums is social media and you should learn to be away from it, it's a time wasting machine.

yeah, don't you dare have a hobby that doesn't help in getting that next job.
fun, enjoyment? that's for the birds.

>Jow Forums is social media and you should learn to be away from it
I would categorize it as a forum moreso than social media. This place gets memed about a lot but it has genuinely impacted my life in a positive manner, in terms of personality, interests, and skills.

Ruined society by creating massive echo chambers.

Public schools? Academia?

I am learning 3D modelling, user. If trying to have fun creating things is too much for you maybe you are a brainlet.

why are you putting social media on the same page as schools and academia?

if it really helped you in a positive way, then more power to you and keep going. Sadly, the common experience for most people is the complete opposite.

He's one of those retarded that thinks public school is an indoctrination program that brain washes kids.

There's a difference between small community echo chambers and mass chambers. Small circles can be broken and reasoned with. Large ones continue breeding.

Obviously not every hobby should be turned into a business endeavor. That isn't the issue. The issue is that your hobby is a scam and botnet. These con artists will gladly trick you into telling you that you NEED to spend X amount of money on "muh GPU" and you NEED to install a bunch of closed source spyware trash on your computer just to have fun.

He's not 100% wrong but it's nowhere near brainwashing done by social media or any forms of consumer media.

Then he's right

have sex

with lolis

Attached: 1525645935872.gif (500x251, 1021K)

its all datamining and ai categorizing us in different lists building a profile of who we are. if you so much as use a smartphone youre fucked

I would posit it is indoctrination, prisons meant to pacify the unwashed masses, to make them accept how things are and to just keep the market going when they have done their time.

based

bring back techloli/g/y

Definitely a negative invention. Personally I think mass adoption/integration of the internet by the general public (especially in phones) was a bad idea, but social media sites seem to play off all the worst aspects of the psyche.

What if I just have Linkedin?

That's fine. The user that posted that doesn't know what he's talking about, or is just baiting.

Overall yes. Its weird how exploited the internet got so fast.

I thought MySpace was fucking retarded.

Still haven't used social media sites since.

But then again my generation was brought up to value privacy and D.A.R.E. taught us to not give personal information to strangers.

no. they allow me to socialize without dealing with people directly. problem is moderation on most platforms is shit but users on those sites aren't exactly better than mods so that's a given.

They're the worst thing humanity ever created as they influence elections since people are too fucking stupid to see which posts are fake blogspot shit or actual crap that happened.

Also echo chambers.

Not at all. It's literally a thot filter. Especially Tinder. You used to have to do social recon for this shit back in high school.

At first they seemed to be the solution to the people not socializing anymore issue, but now they do socialize, although superficially

my close friends and me we dont use asocial media, dont feed the troll, no problem to keep up with whats important plus no need to sift through others bs

echo chambers

>they control a significant portion of all human communication
They do not. You control the communication. They only provide means to communicate.

>have overshadowed traditional communication methods
Direct messages are faster than sending a letter. Nothing wrong with it.

>and they are heavily monitored and manipulated by the companies that run them to generate revenue for themselves and their advertisers that pay them
They have the right to do so, you agree on it during registration. If you don't like it you can just not use them.

>and they do not respect your rights as an individual because they have enough power and influence to not have to bother
Which rights? They have virtually no power over you. If you stop using their websites, they can't do anything to you.

evil trips of truth

Because is not an invention..
is a cross platform app between blog/forum/chat..
and it was desighn for total normies usage..
nothing good came out of this.. data harvasting has becoming google/facebook main goal..
people become sociopaths and lazy..
all the money time and energy that is still spending on that shit.

Yes, how dare you disconnect your brain for a couple of hours a week!?!?!

Yes, I blame them in general and there data collection and "tailored content" practices for both the recent rise of the extreme right and the dramatic polarisation of western political discourse that has come with it.
There are too many people trapped in too many echo chambers and its fucking everything up.

>do you feel like social networks were a bad invention?
Yes.
>why?
I ccouldn't fit in there.

Holy shit. All social media datamines the shit out of users and even nonusers. It is a massive invasion of privacy. Kill yourself.

You agree on that when you register, brainlet.

Datamining non users is bad, but it's not specific to social media, every large IT company does that. Just use umatrix to avoid it.

She blacked

You are a disgusting piece of work you know that

>hiring people based on weather they use a brainwashing machine
>not based on there skill and competency

You are an absolutely disgusting narcissitic piece of shit people should be hired based on one thing and one thing alone how good they are at doing there job

Not there skin colour
not weather they use facefuck instafag or any other disgusting monster that is indoctrinating our youth and turning everyone into psychos

You are disgusting you disgust me to my very core

i hope you and your company miserably fail and you end up homeless on the streets with a crack addiction

you do not deserve what you have

>what are ghost profiles

there could have been pure intentions at the beginning, but the thing is that it's just so fucking brilliant business model to sell data (minimal expenses to store it, easy to move, does not require huge worker pool etc etc) that it is very easy to go corrupt along the road. also when communicating through machines, it's very easy to dismiss unfortunate/sad/personal things/emotions very trivially because those things are hard to encounter in person, which leads to hurting people in ways that were not intended. in the end all humans are dependant on communicating with other people and placing a machine in between that communication could indeed lead to unforeseen consequences that are unfolding right now as we speak.

youtube.com/watch?v=YjbyDU0WzYI

Dropping this here

based
true

normie safe space and normie doesn't belong on these internets

they're not a bad invention, it's the fact that everyone's on it that it's bad.
It was better when they were the cool kids club only

good thing I have better things to do than being on social networks: I have minecraft

>I have to voluntarily numb myself to forget my useless existence

just use drugs and get high, faggot

but it is user. Dressing boys as girls and making them use lipstick doesn't have any academical meaning.

On a large scale - yes. Great when used properly, but overall very bad because people are retards especially the ones growing up with it.

Basically this

>They have virtually no power over you.
Sure they do, you don't think HR peruses Facebook for every candidate to see if they're stable? You don't think they're going to hedge their bets by discarding people without Facebook accounts? They sell data too, they literally produce profiles to help identify people, that would streamline the employment process if the dipshit in HR decided to implement it. That's just one example though.

What do your peers think about you not having a facebook, and what about potential mates? Your co-workers? Your family?

"Hey, I know you from high school"
Didn't have that opportunity without social media since most of these people I never ever ever see again in my life.

>mom,dad,brother sign up for facebook but not me
>mics on, cameras on, family photos, untagged posts with names
>facebook already knows what i do, what i like and has a profile of me based on collected information off other people
>HURRR they not Invading yous they cant's do nothings!!1
Neck yourself retarded nigger

>the common experience
the common experience is not anonymous image boards, Jow Forums is objectively the best platform just for being anonymous and very lightly moderated, so much more people can make good use of it than

why

Attached: ss.jpg (800x652, 90K)

parents would because they are faggots who use children as a status symbol.
They will post about how you shit yourself at the family bbq when you were 13. Or just any kind of emotional thing you confess to them that you thought was private goes online.

If company cares so much about your facebook, it's probably not worth it. Mine doesn't.

>What do your peers think about you not having a facebook, and what about potential mates? Your co-workers? Your family?
My friends do not use facebook, we talk using Wire and Discord. These few female friends I have do not care and doesn't use it much too. Co workers do not give a fuck. My mother literally have a troll account with fake name on it.

Sucks for you. No need to get mad your family is retarded.
Also move out and they won't be able to collect much data anymore.

>you not posting it doesn't stop anyone else from posting it

You not doing stupid shit in the first place does though!

>t. friendless virgin NEET with an alienated family comprising a twin brother that was raised in a foster home
Your anecdote is meaningless.

it's a time waste machine, you found it helpful? fine, good for you, but that doesn't happen to most people. I am not saying you should stop coming here, I am here, right?

In its current form yes. I remember the Myspace days when social media didn't permeate through every aspect of life. It should have stayed that way.

I hope a tranny sues your company