PS2 thread

Anyone remember adding a modchip to their PS2?

Attached: iw5etx.jpg (1600x1200, 560K)

Other urls found in this thread:

r43ds.org/products/Phantom-Universal-Sega-Saturn-Modchip.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I still have my cousin's copy of 007: Agent Under Fire from when I installed FreeMCBoot

My nigguh

I think I have like 100 burned DVD-R games somewhere.

I added a modchip to both my Ps2 and xbox360
did it myself at the age of 12. That was peak of my life

Back to the manchild board

No because Free McBoot exists.

Modding is a very fun and rewarding application of technology. I've mod practically every piece of technology I have.

Nothing to do with Vidya, actually. You can run anything on a modded PS2.

In 2003 no such thing existed user.

I modchipped my OG Xbox.
Swapped the hard drive out, and that thing was a beast. Tons of games installed directly to the hard drive, internet radio, ripped movies, etc. It was definitely *the* HTPC of the early 2000s.

I was too scared to mod my wii (back in the day when only hardmods were a thing) and i paid some shady neet 120 usd (modchip and some burned games included) and he did an excellent job

When was that? By the time I got my hands on a Wii, I only had to put some files on an SD card.

late 2007. Also i could only understand very basic english at the time so i had no other choice.

how to get good at wiring stuff like that?
I bought a console and a modchip to fuck around.

Attached: 1f6a7127425c661a0f478f34313674e5.jpg (1080x837, 185K)

YouTube and patience

Literally just practice.
Soldering is a skill that comes mostly with practice, and decent tools. It's in the same realm as sewing, handwriting, etc.

If you're talking about designing modchips and how they wire in, that's Electronic/Computer Engineering.

FreeMcboot doesn't let you play PS1 games I believe. Not that it matters, you can run PS1 on a potato these days.

Where my swapmagic niggas at?

Voltar's routing is a thing of beauty.

no, i started with independence exploit, then bought a swapmagic set, then much later got freemcboot

My dad was kind of autist about those things so he came home with pic related someday. Then I started toying with this special linux for months, for absolutely no reason. But it was fun breaking everything. Based dad.

Attached: linuxkit.jpg (2448x2448, 804K)

Ps2 can natively run ps1 games, and I don't think freemcboot would somehow break the compatibility.

he means copied ps1 games, freemcboot doesn't get in the way of real ps1 games
i'm not sure if freemcboot can assist with booting ps1 copies, you can do a swaptrick to boot ps1 copies on any ps1/ps2 model, freemcboot or not

your dad is awsome i wish my dad will know how to use pc properly, everytime that he needs formating or fix errors he just buy a new machine and throw the old one at me

wish I had tools and/or at least some basic knowledge back then, I just paid someone ~10 bucks to do it for me

how are ps2s on modern tvs

i have a fat ps3 which im gonna mod this weekend. i am worried it's gonna die soon, but cba to change thermal paste because i dont have the right screwdriver.

wii seems like a good shout, cba with OG xbox nowadays.

anything below can prob be emulated.

>i dont have the right screwdriver
Get one of those sets that has every type of torx and security bit known to man.
They're not even that expensive off of Amazon or eGay.

I'm no EE, just a manuel labourer who likes consumer electronics.
I ordered a KSGER 60w station and some hakko tips.
I just don't want to make a bird's nest or melt any components.

Depends on the game but they can look pretty good over component

It all went downhill from there.

I installed one in my switch not PS2 tho as I don't think there's a benefit over freemcboot

once you've got rebug installed go into the webman settings and make the fan operate at higher speeds. It get super load though. You really should change the paste though I got 10c temp drops by changing paste and another 10 when I switched to liquid metal

generally pretty crap compared to a crt

But also can depend on the game some are better than others on modern tvs but will still get the job done

I remember.

Attached: mod.jpg (492x839, 111K)

Mine looks like complete shit at 4k but I guess if you don't care that much, then you can just deal with it. It might be worth getting a crt or even just emulating it if your PC is strong enough

Attached: 20190510_164606.jpg (4032x3024, 3.15M)

And this it from a slightly further distance. It's tolerable if you are sitting on a couch.

Attached: 20190510_164508_1.jpg (2260x2126, 712K)

in brazil it seemed like every ps2 sold was already modded, so no. however mine used a trash modchip, and some games wouldn't run (the one i cared the most was gh3, god i was so fucking mad).
after like 3 years i paid someone to remod it, worked fine until the laser died. fun times.

Attached: 1529257202462.gif (235x235, 100K)

Fuckin' oath nigga! Playing through to the second level just to exploit the game.

Damn! I'm glad modding my GameCube was just 5 wires.

My dad gave me a modded PS2 back in 2004, played a fuck ton with it. Couldn't make it to play PS1 backups but a buddy discovered that hitting the power button twice will make the PS2 enter into PS1 and voila. Also applicable to DVD's.

My 90000 series came with a mod chip, the only thing that didn't work properly was the DVD9 release of Xenosaga. I still have it, it's white.

no but I remember swapping the cd in the drive with a james bond title and installing FreeMCBoot

What happened here? Did he try to eat a cap and get blasted?

and is still going downlhill

I'm also a retard and my first solder job was okay. Also using the KSGER unit with stock tip.

Open PS2 Loader lets you play them, IDK about burned disks, but from an HDD or network it works fine.

Why the random resistor though?

Lol

I bought mine with the modchip on.
I have like 100 games I played for less than 10 minutes. Burned at least 2 every week.

Now I buy one a month and even less. But try to enjoy them.

Stop laughing at my pain. It looks really shitty.

My uncle took my PS2 away from me when I was 11 and gave it back to me a month later with a modchip on it
It was white, probably a counterfeit of the MATRiX modchip
On an unrelated note, is it really necessary to delid a PS3 to get decent temps? I already attempted to delid one and wound up scratching the RSX, killing the damn thing

By that logic, coreboot ThinkPads with Linux belong on /v/ also...

What's your favorite OPL theme?

Attached: RetroOPL.jpg (3080x2310, 1.19M)

nice digits
and a cool theme you got here

Is that one guy on eBay with ridiculous prices the only source for fat Ghost Cases?

Attached: PS2.jpg (2560x1440, 533K)

Just buy chink ghost cases and swap them yourself.

I'd love to but I can't find any

Why use a modchip when this existed?

Attached: 48318.jpg (200x367, 66K)

I'm brazilian so my PS2 already came modchiped

>$30
elementary school students don't have $30 user

i was in college when i got a ps2

Never did, I only ever softmodded my PS2s

It wasn't a thing back then. Also, you can't just buy/copy a disc and be done with it, you have to patch everything. And there's nothing comfier than having your PS2 boot straight to OPL if you feel like using a HDD.

How'd they get around the issue that the PS1 chip was used for HDD access?

>i was in college when i got a ps2
college students don't have $30 user

Tried it.
Just didn't look right.

Attached: CopyQ.VyLIQo.png (160x160, 3K)

I bought mine at the 3rd world equivalent of Sears (Falabella) and it came already chipped lol. Used to buy pirated games.

Not him but my I'm pretty sure it's emulation. For some reason PS2 has an official PS1 emulator that some games that had PS1 games as extra came with. I think it's called popstart or something like that, it's not perfect and some games don't even boot, but it works.

Softmod only fag, what's the benefit to soldering in modchip vs. just inserting a memory card with FMCB?

Just did a research and that's exactly it, but it's called POPStarter.

there's not really any advantage over fmcb
keep in mind fmcb is a relatively new program, and didn't exist for most of the ps2's life

This. And why the fuck are people still using discs? The drive in PS2s is known to fail. Just load off a hard drive you retards.

Run burned discs without patching, run homebrew at startup, set output modes as default (NTSC/PAL/RGB), run burned PS1 games, play out of region DVDs and some other stuff. modchips basically have 100% compatibility with everything and some extra features, but if all you want is run games from HDDs, you are fine with OPL.

Only if you are using cheap media or some fat model. My slim I bought around 2006 sill has a perfect drive.

Well the Hard Drive part was the giveaway since only that Fat models had the slot.

no, my dad had the OG XBOX from new that he put an executer2 modchip in.

that was thrown away years ago but I picked one up for £25 about 2 years ago and softmodded it. Good fun.

I did put CFW on my ps3 yesterday though. New exploit came out for that in march that makes all consoles below 4.82 firmware exploitable.

ah yes, hot swapping an IDE drive from the xbox to a pc so you could install stuff on it. good times.

>New exploit came out for that in march that makes all consoles below 4.82 firmware exploitable.
Not a CFW tho.

I have one chiped and one with freemcboot.
PSP-2000 died a while ago
FFFFF
F
FFF
F
F

It allows you to flash CFW (provided you have a console with a datecode older than 1B) and there's also a homebrew enabler for 4.84 but it's kinda shitty as some things don't work or exist (the ability to reboot into OtherOS being one)

Attached: 1558363760349.jpg (854x960, 136K)

based machine commited sudoku to destroy the enemy.

NVM, I thought you were talking only about the SuperSlim thing

HFW allows you to flash NOR and get CFW even on 4.84
The only models that are completely fucked and won't do anything beyond HEN are the late Slim models and Super Slim models
Which is a shame, the Fat model sounds like a fucking jet turbine

So if i get a modchip i can get my fat PS2 to play PS1 and PS2 games right?
Are all of them the same or i have to look for a specific one?
Do they come with cables or i need to buy some too?

you can FTP to them with XBMC/UnleashX which makes things a lot easier.

should have said that it doesn't apply to the super slim

I use a PS2 with Linux to compile MIPS binaries that I use on MIPS controllers boards with worse specs. QEMU supports MIPS but it's buggy as hell. I also own SGI machines but Linux runs like complete shit on them, so I can't use them for development.

>Which is a shame, the Fat model sounds like a fucking jet turbine
Funny thing, I installed webman on my super slim and for some reason it set the fans to max automatically, shit sounded literally like a plane taking off, I've never seen a fan blowing so hard in my whole life kek
Do fats sound like that when in game? There's no reason they thought this was acceptable.

Sorry, but this is now a PS/2 thread.

Talk about the superiority of PS/2 and shit on USB and Bluetooth.

Attached: 838b26bb1dc05f5edc47d58883817bb6.jpg (300x121, 10K)

Yeah, Fats are well-known for being extremely loud when playing
It's even worse when the game demands more juice from either the RSX or the CELL, or if you're using the upscaler

Attached: TZAu6AO.png (908x444, 80K)

Sony tuned the fan curve very conservatively to keep it quiet.
All PS3s sound like a server farm full of 10k RPM fans but you only hear them when it's too late and the console is about to cook itself.
webman's fan controller curve is a lot more aggressive, it does everything it can to keep it below the set temperature which by default is around 65C or 70C i don't remember.

Attached: 1553032469916.jpg (720x472, 58K)

My optical drive shit the bed years ago, so a modchip would basically be useless to me outside launching homebrew, which is exactly what FMCB does with no effort.

Loading media via the network is the only way I can play but I currently don't have a way to play my ripped PS1 games. Any suggestions? I couldn't get OPL to load PS1

>tfw OPL lets me use DS3/DS4 controllers over bluetooth

Attached: rw8pjzp85ny21.jpg (550x514, 40K)

The design of the cooling system is what baffles me the most. I know it's supposed to blow to the sides of the outtake of the fan, but that's ineffective as fuck

I never really messed with the OPL PS1 emu, but there's a standalone build of POPS with a GUI that allows you to choose ISOs from a flashdrive, just search for "PS2 PS1 emulator" and you'll probably find it. I advise you that it's compatibility is pretty meh and most games I tried had at least slowdown issues once in a while. I would just get a new drive tho, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Very funny

That's pretty cool. For work or a hobby?

Get a new drive, unless you have a fat, they are cheap.

I hope physical media stays alive, if only to keep such a cyberpunkish thing as modchip culture alive.

I should put one like this in my Saturn and pretend it's still the 90s:
r43ds.org/products/Phantom-Universal-Sega-Saturn-Modchip.html

bread

popstarter.elf
POPS is an official ps1 emulator for the ps2 made by sony. Just convert your .bin to .vcd and use popstarter.elf. A lot of games are fully supported rn, I play pepsiman from time to time on my ps2 that way.

popstarter runs like shit on most games. it's easier to just use a modded PS1 or chip to play backups on cdr. Or better yet get a psone and a psio, or emulate it on an rpi or something.