PulseAudio + ALSA is the best sound system

>PulseAudio + ALSA is the best sound system

Attached: tAVlk8L.jpg (1600x900, 90K)

>systemd is the best init system

Attached: 1558666470.png (809x747, 770K)

PulseAudio is optional in Slackware -current. Devuan got rid of Systemd by forking. Adopting Poettering software was a huge misstake, but it's still possible to reverse.

*crackles, pops and distorts*
heh, nuttin personell

works on my machine
maybe you should've installed gentoo

There is nothing wrong with systemd

Attached: lukenew.gif (150x150, 12K)

>Hey please don't run this as root run it as an unprivileged user
>Only works properly if run by your relevant init as root

>Hey guys you know how you're plugging in devices constantly well what if you audio server had hotswappable audio devices
>Needs to be restarted to detect new devices
>but not all the time, just sometimes, when it's temperamental and being a cunt because fuck you red hat developers

>Hey guys wouldn't it be great if already-spawned applications didn't need to be restarted to see newly-plugged in devices
>Every time you plug in a new device you need to restart every single running application
>but not all the time, just sometimes, when it's temperamental and being a cunt because fuck you red hat developers

Pulse is a massive piece of fucking shit but ALSA requires a cold reboot to plug in new devices, and when pulse works, it works. What the fuck else are you gonna use? JACK? Fat chance. I feel like this dumb asshole except with pulse instead of systemd. Also the only reason pulse was included in 14.2 was because of bluez. There weren't that many packages in the base install that had to be recompiled to remove pulse from Slackware. The same can't be said of other distros.

What's nice about PulseAudio is the ability to manage outputs on a per application basis.
I don't even think this is possible on Windows.
Also I don't use systemd, bite me.

>I don't even think this is possible on Windows.
it is

*kernel dumps PulseAudio for Pipewire*
oopsie

>>There is nothing wrong with systemd
>*breaks*

It's genuinely shit

>posting pigs

PulseAudio switchable with jack2 for music is the best.

I use PulseAudio+ALSA on my Arch system, litterally nothing wrong with it, it just werks

>What's nice about PulseAudio is the ability to manage outputs on a per application basis.
>I don't even think this is possible on Windows
its been there for years

Based and shironekopilled

Why pulse and alsa at the same time? I'm new to loonix, don't bully.

pulse is a sound server, runs on top of alsa.

Am I missing something then? There's a whole lot of packages with alsa- prefix but I only have installed what was necessary for KDE. I've switched to linux somewhat recently (because windows got beyond unusable), and the only thing that I'm missing is the sound system. It's garbage on windows because you have to restart applications to change output, etc., but I swear that quality used to be better. I have an external usb dac, so it shouldn't be the drivers. If you happen to know any good resources that could help me configure my stuff properly - please do share them. I've already read related articles from arch wiki.
pacman -Q | grep -iE "pulse|alsa"
alsa-lib 1.1.9-1
libcanberra-pulse 0.30+2+gc0620e4-2
libpulse 12.2-2
pulseaudio 12.2-2
zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-1

alsa is the underlying sound system, it's the thing sound drivers are built around, and provides just the basics
pulseaudio is a more modern sound system, performing functions expected of modern system, such as dynamic streamdevice routing, mixing and resampling, hotplugging, network IO, etc
in typical configurations, pulseaudio uses alsa as a backend, though they aren't dependent on each other (you can run alsa without pulse, and pulse with another backend)

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

forgot to mention, pulseaudio doesn't handle what alsa does, namely the hardware/driver parts
you can't replace alsa with pulseaudio

go home user, you're drunk

No sndio

Honest to god question
How come windows and Mac halfway have their shit together on audio but the Linux community has so much trouble agreeing on something that works?

It's called the Volume Mixer on Windows.

>PipeWire
WHEN WILL THEY FINALLY SHIP THIS FUCKING THING

People think Pulseaudio is bloated because they don't understand the use cases where just alsa won't cut it.
They are also mad that some packages depend on Pulse, something I don't care about because I'm already using it.

>opined with a nonextended pinky
Sus(pect)

I'll file this one beside 'screen tearing' in my things that never happen folder.

>Pipewire
quick rundown?

>Let's add another layer of abstraction on top of the shitty Linux audio drivers and the ALSA interface
>Audio becomes even laggier
>A-At least we're not proprietary!

I just don't use linux audio for anything but listening to music

I reboot into windows to do anything related to mixing (or video games)

That's OK. The way to beat Baby Duck Syndrome is one step at a time. No point jumping into the deep end to learn to swim.

Systemd is the best service manager. That also makes it the best init system.

ONE MILLION LINES OF UNAUDITED KRAUT CODE

Good luck working with Symphony, Ensemble and other 'kids pool' interfaces on Loonix

I've experienced literally 0 lag, poorfag

That's because your brain has more lag than Pulseaudio, Linux desktop user.

Here's your (You)

Attached: HOjbEaOZ.jpg (227x222, 8K)

Took you awfully long to post this. 500ms lag confirmed.

I'm not a neet who instantly responds to Jow Forums posts

>Uses desktop distro
>Not a NEET
>implying

Came here to post this.