/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Thomas Reed
Thomas Reed

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: //boards.Jow Forums.org/t/thread/861783#p861783

Previous thread: jowforums.com/thread/71054933/technology

Attached: stallmanpage-sunmidancing-1.4m.webm (2.6 MB, 1280x720)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldfrom=7d
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox-bin
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice-bin
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium
github.com/topics/clojure?o=desc&s=stars
gnu.org/software/guile/libraries/#apps
github.com/search?l=Common Lisp&o=desc&q=common lisp&s=stars&type=Repositories
jowforums.com/thread/71036110/technology
stallman.org/
stallman.org/archives/2019-mar-jun.html
dev.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_Linux_run_blazing_fast_(again)_on_Intel_CPUs
pastebin.com/Rf8WRJ5C
jowforums.com/thread/71054933/technology
superuser.com/questions/259001/asus-eeepc-1005pe-netbook-special-partitions-restore-and-boot-booster
docs.appimage.org/user-guide/run-appimages.html#
github.com/dylanaraps/pywal/wiki/Installation
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
shit
jowforums.com/thread/71104852/technology

Leo Watson
Leo Watson

What's the best way to sandbox Firefox?
I don't want Mozilla having access to anything it doesn't need access to on my system.
I was thinking firejail + running it under a different user or a chroot jail.

Attached: 1495575150810.jpg (59 KB, 345x587)

Ethan Ward
Ethan Ward

Been on linux for 2 months now, mainly because i have an incurable itch to get rid of bloat and software and I don't need. I'm on arch now but i'm sick of all these dependencies that shit pulls down for no reason like gtk when it also has qt support.
I'm unironically thinking about using gentoo. I've heard about all its advantages, tell me the bad parts.
Btw ill probably install it on this intel i7 processor so i'm thinking the compilation might not be that big of an issue.

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (119 KB, 666x800)

Alexander Hill
Alexander Hill

the bad parts
Nothing really apart from the compiles and the bugs that crop up with all of the poor build scripting and code if you do anything less common. None of this is really Gentoo's fault, Gentoo pretty much only helps compensate for it with the ebuilds.

Just try it. Also, i7 is more than is needed for most packages to install comfortably - CPU are faster now than 15 years ago, so apart from bloat browsers and less than a handful of other packages even a Ryzen 2400G or something is usually done compiling and installing a package in a minute or two.

Samuel Jones
Samuel Jones

where does Firefox store its GUI's images and animations?

Dylan Morgan
Dylan Morgan

compilation of packages like firefox and chromium take a very long time even if you're using a i7.

as for dependencies, that's more of a hell on gentoo than arch. you run into bullshit about some package requiring that some other package was or wasn't compiled with some use flag all the time. and makes this most annoying is that you end up with package a requiring package b is compiled with USE="foo" but c and d requires USE="-foo".

also be aware that gentoo had a big active nice community around 2005 but these days it's a marginal fringe distribution which is barely improved or updated so you will be own your own.

Justin Murphy
Justin Murphy

tell me the bad parts
There are none.

James Gomez
James Gomez

install Guix System

Connor Barnes
Connor Barnes

Not sure about chromium, but firefox takes about 28-33min on my laptop i7-2670QM.

Christian Jones
Christian Jones

damn if that had been a get i would have done it.

Jacob Brown
Jacob Brown

as for dependencies, that's more of a hell on gentoo than arch
Wat?

you run into bullshit about some package requiring that some other package was or wasn't compiled with some use flag all the time
It might happen when you're broadly tinkering with all USE flags, but once installed it doesn't happen often. Been doing this for 15 years on over 1000 packages on two machines.

barely improved or updated
Wat.
packages.gentoo.org/
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldfrom=7d

And so on. And yes, Gentoo's tooling like Portage also gets updates quite frequently, although of course most are some minor improvements, things that have been around for so many years don't need revising everything every second month.

And even this rate of changes to package management tooling and stuff is a blistering fast pace as compared to the usual glacial pace of Debian/Ubuntu and comparable ecosystems most people are in.

Parker Powell
Parker Powell

how that's a nice attempt at making something which is in reality a joke of a system not practical for anything.

decided to try it out today because they are trying to do some interesting things. did guix pull then guix update and it decided to compile icecat. that's one annoying thing about guix, you never know if it will decide to download packages or compile them.

Now, looking at top, it is apparent that guix has decided to compile icecat with -j1. or no -j option, idk. it's using one thread. Thus, it's going to take all day. or more than a day, we'll see. not sure if I should just abort it right now because it will probably not be done by the time I power off.

even Gentoo's preferable to this bullshit, at least there you can set MAKEOPTS in make.conf. and another advantage is that if you ask on IRC how to set the number of cores to be used on a compile you'd get an answer. it appears nobody in #guix knows so perhaps it's just not supported.

Attached: guix-takes-forever.png (315 KB, 1932x1212)

Liam Davis
Liam Davis

Guix provides the best handling of dependencies in the history of *nix, period.

Josiah Bell
Josiah Bell

if you ask on IRC how to set the number of cores to be used on a compile you'd get an answer.
did you ask the devs?

Oliver Thomas
Oliver Thomas

is the community really not that active? i've went and looked at the archives of their mailing list and they seem to be quite active
I definetly want to use something with a decently big community and good documentation as while i can mostly get by myself, ill always still need some online help once in a while

ok i know nothing about guix , redpill me

Colton Davis
Colton Davis

ok i know nothing about guix , redpill me
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

Sebastian Scott
Sebastian Scott

i just checked it out, it is one of the GNU approved distros with free software only. While thats great, my wifi card will not work sadly with it and i kinda need it

Ryan Diaz
Ryan Diaz

and jeez-louise, use a Emacs interface, it's how Guix was meant to be used

Cameron Thomas
Cameron Thomas

I don't see how the handling of dependencies is even particularly good.

Actually it just seems *overall* terrible from the most basics of basics up: The description format is fucking Scheme.

The whole Lisp language family basically never had any more successful project other than a second-rate text editor bloated to the size of an operating system in 60 or so years now. Why on earth would you try that again?

Robert Long
Robert Long

Remember to disable dbus, policykit, consolekit, accessibility and udisks and and mask the corresponding packages.
Use the patched gtk3 from the mv overlay which doesn't pull in dbus and mask the one from the Gentoo repo.
If you don't know exactly what every process is doing and why it's running when you look at htop, you're doing something wrong.
If there's a single service on your system that isn't running as a direct consequence of your behest, it shouldn't be running in the first place.

Kayden Jones
Kayden Jones

is the community really not that active?
Look at the links I provided in

Is that "barely improved or updated" to you? Because to me it is, and the other user doesn't know what he is talking about.

Nathan Brooks
Nathan Brooks

a second-rate text editor bloated to the size of an operating system in 60 or so years now.
what are you even doing in this thread?

Attached: download.jpg (898 KB, 1704x2272)

Cameron Nelson
Cameron Nelson

I fucking hate every single non-asian people who is actually into Kpop, because the vast majority of them are actually disgusting white obese incels who is only into it because they have yellow fever and has to stroke their dick to these animatronic wax dolls while posting "asian women are traditional and best!" memes to escape their miserable pathetic life

Attached: 1406652262820.jpg (76 KB, 393x315)

Gavin Rodriguez
Gavin Rodriguez

what are you even doing in this thread?
I'm doing what almost everyone else is: Not using any Lisp language family software even for hobby use, never mind professionally.

Noah Mitchell
Noah Mitchell

ok sure, ill read up on those.

yeah damn, that's more than enough activity. I should have guessed though, gentoo seems like the kind of distro that once you use you can't go back to anything simpler.

Okay i'm sold, i'll finish this uni anatomy final and do it, as i'm guessing this isn't the kind of install you can do mindlessly while doing otherthings. At least not if i want to set it up properly

Ryder Howard
Ryder Howard

at least there you can set MAKEOPTS in make.conf
You can change any build options, or indeed anything you want about packages or how they're build on Guix.
-j1 has nothing to do with Guix itself, it's just how the package maintainer decided to set the defaults.

I used GuixSD, but I will wouldn't recommend it for your needs. Of course anons get over excited and they just want to shill what they like to everyone. But I'm not here to fool you. I believe it's more important people know what they're getting.

So here's the bottom line. Guix can technically do what you need, but there is currently no customization options EXPOSED by packages.
What I mean is that the way you modify a package to, say disable GTK, differs from package to package. On Gentoo they have a whole system where the maintainer of the package can expose a flag to enable/disable GTK which is specifically tailored to that specific package, but can be set system wide so you don't have to know the individual nuance of each package.
Guix on the other hand would require you to know how to do it for each package. Sure you can set custom configure/build options en masse using Guix, but there is no guarantee every package does it the same way.

So currently, gentoo is probably your best choice.

Jaxson Perez
Jaxson Perez

packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox-bin

Nice version jumps. It is barely active indeed.

Gavin Phillips
Gavin Phillips

Well that's simply a failing in your knowledge. That's not Guix's problem.

I'll give you a hint at how wrong you are though. There is literally a feature in guix called build "challenging" where you can challenge a binary build on the repo to verify if it has been tampered with or not.
You cannot do that with any other package manager because builds are never completely identical. On Guix packages are often BITWISE identical even when built on different machines.

Tyler Garcia
Tyler Garcia

You can change any build options
How?

It's stupidly compiling icecat with -j1 right now. Tell me exactly _how_ I can change that.

Benjamin Powell
Benjamin Powell

gentoo seems like the kind of distro that once you use you can't go back to anything simpler.
It is really good at what it does and it sure has a lot of long-term users.

IDK if you'll require Gentoo or more complex for all your machines going forward, though.

Seems very possible that you at some point might not care much about exact deps or sauce patches or something else Gentoo makes a bit more convenient. You'll see. But for culling dependencies, it's one of the obvious distros to try.

Robert Morales
Robert Morales

Some more activity

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice-bin

packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium
Chromium should be on version 74.0.3729.169
Gentoo one still on 72
That is quite stale for a rolling release distro.

James Butler
James Butler

Sure, I'll tell you how, but there's 2 ways to do it.
So first just tell me are you installing it through Guix (e.g. by using "guix package -i icecat")
Or are you installing it through the full GuixSD system with icecat inside your system configuration file?

Landon Sanchez
Landon Sanchez

On the issue of more recent laptops with Windows 10 preinstalled, I have one bought last year which refuses to accept my Arch installation USB. I've put the .iso file onto the USB with Rufus making sure to check the option for GPT partition table. I've turned off 'secure boot' in the BIOS. But what happens when I try to boot to USB is that 'Secure Boot' is switched back on and a dialog comes up saying that the boot image "cannot be authenticated", which is to say it isn't Windows 10.

How the fuck do people install Linux onto modern laptops which switch BIOS options back on anyway automatically?

Eli Mitchell
Eli Mitchell

I already told you, I did
guix update

Benjamin Edwards
Benjamin Edwards

based

Joshua Hughes
Joshua Hughes

Well that's simply a failing in your knowledge
No, I'm quite confident about the Lisp language family nearly not having achieved any somewhat widely used software other than a text editor the size of an OS in 60+ years.

Absurd and pretty hostile (seeing how almost nobody wanted it in 60+ years) choice.

I'll give you a hint at how wrong you are though. There is literally a feature in guix called build "challenging" where you can challenge a binary build on the repo to verify if it has been tampered with or not.
That doesn't help at all with "handling of dependencies". You're bringing up some completely unrelated minor advantage.

Which doesn't really solve any practical problem that has appeared in the wild anyhow. Sure, they do address making it easier to detect if someone has fucked with the binary building toolchain on a distro's compile box - but this wasn't an actual issue anyone had with any regularity so far, was it?

Levi Rogers
Levi Rogers

sandbox Firefox
What is FF doing this time?

different user
I'm Switching TTYs like crazy and I'm addicted to it.

1) Have main account where literally nothing is going on.
2) Use main account(of Linux Mint) to create(in the GUI with 1 click) a new user like "shitpostign-user"
3) Press CTRL+ALT+F2 (or whatever) to get a empty TTY
4) login by typing

shitpostign-user
startx

get graphical desktop with web browser ready to go.

5) all applications think this is a new user
6) cookies don't work, Super cookies don't work, tracking does not work, google thinks this is a new computer.
7) Keep all your files on a root folder to exchange or add to your archive.
8) chamod 777 it(root exchange/archive folder) from time to time.

All web browsers think you are on a new computer, no need for VMs.
Privet browsing is for retards.

After you finish shitposting GUI-log out of the shitposting-user account you are in the console still logged in as shitposting-user DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT (!!!) .

Switch to your main account to mark the shitposting-user account to be deleted (I simply change the profile picture to a big red X).

After computer is shut down and restarted in the main account delete all users marked with the big red X.

And all cookies all tracking is forgotten.
Only how can I log out of a console TTY ? If I use exit there is a 20% chance the whole system becomes unresponsive/bricks itself!!!!

Rate me and advise me Jow Forums

Attached: X.png (9 KB, 640x400)

Joseph Wright
Joseph Wright

Hi guise , I have a question regarding midori. When I installed it on my rpi raspbian it had a much nicer appearance, looked like motif or something. Just installed it on my debian testing and it looks like shit (see pic related). How do I disable this horrible gnome 3 decoration bullshit? The windows decoration takes way too much screen space

Attached: 2019-05-24-112457-1024x768-scrot.png (191 KB, 1024x768)

Isaac Bell
Isaac Bell

This is kind of a non-answer to your question, but you should use IceCat if you aren't already. Even if you disable the default addons like librejs, it has about:config tweaks and has removed certain bits like Pocket from regular Firefox.

Jeremiah Cook
Jeremiah Cook

Rate me
I don't get you 5/10.
advise me Jow Forums
Why don't you just use application sandboxes? Firejail or bubblewrap or the IMO too cumbersome but capable systemd-nspawn or whatever. You could even use docker for the same effect regardless if it runs a full VM inside or a namespace container thing.

Plus "tracking does not work" is a stretch if you're still using the same connection.

Dylan Walker
Dylan Walker

why? are any of these seem bad to you?
github.com/topics/clojure?o=desc&s=stars
gnu.org/software/guile/libraries/#apps
github.com/search?l=Common Lisp&o=desc&q=common lisp&s=stars&type=Repositories

Luke Bennett
Luke Bennett

Then assuming you mean something like "guix package -u" you should uninstall icecat (guix package -r icecat) and then run this:

guix package -e '(begin (use-modules (guix packages) (gnu packages gnuzilla)) (package (inherit icecat) (arguments (append (package-arguments icecat) `(#:make-flags "-jN")))))'

replace -jN with whatever you want

I know it's not the most elegant, but they are adding new options all the time to rewrite package aspects. So I definitely forsee a simple --add-make-flag=-jN option or something similar in the future.
(there's also talk on the mailinglist of creating Gentoo USE-Flag like package arguments)

Some other things you might be interested in knowing:
* When doing an upgrade you can specify packages to not upgrade with the "--do-no-upgrade" flag
* You can check what will be compiled and what will be downloaded with the "--dry-run" option
Combining those 2 options should let you decide if you want to postpone upgrading certain packages which take a long time to build until the build server has one available.

Carson Phillips
Carson Phillips

BITWISE identical binary builds has nothing to do with dependencies
Are you a fucking stupid?

Logan Price
Logan Price

Also keep in mind that the package maintainers may have set -j1 for a reason.
I've heard of bugs that cause that to be necessary sometimes, even when building shit like GTK which is a fucking nightmare.
So don't be surprised if the build fails when you change it.

Ian Reyes
Ian Reyes

Retard here, I just installed Manjaro after Antergos decided to close up shop, but is it possible to replace the Manjaro version of the kernel with the regular Linux upstream kernel or is my entire system going to shit itself if I do that?

Zachary Edwards
Zachary Edwards

are any of these seem bad to you?
They're part of the body of 60+ years (almost all of modern computer history) Lisp that virtually hasn't done anything in terms of producing important software.

You could summarize that as "seems bad" if you want it in brief form, yes.

Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson

Nevermind, there's an actual kernel manager in the Manjaro settings where you can install any kernel you want

Wyatt Jenkins
Wyatt Jenkins

virtually hasn't done anything in terms of producing important software
yep, that would be software written in C
but it can be quite brilliant nonetheless. I don't understand your hostility.

Owen Gray
Owen Gray

Yes, no particularly relation to dependency management. It's just verification of an individual package in the sense of binary reproducibility. Whether the package even has *any* dependencies or not is entirely irrelevant.

And again, not actually a problem we had "in the wild"? I am not aware of any distro build server's toolchain becoming sabotaged to produce altered binaries, never it happening mind multiple times (suggesting you can't easily fix this by just managing a server's security).

Xavier Baker
Xavier Baker

did you read this?

Brandon Jones
Brandon Jones

user, the reason I said it's a HINT is because I don't want to spend an hour discussing all the superior nuance of Guix dependency management.

If you can't understand why a package built on multiple machines which results in identical binaries bit-for-mother-fucking-bit necessarily implies PERFECT dependency handling then I can see I made the right choice in avoiding having a more technical conversation about it with you.
I doubt you know half of what you think you do.

Jason Morgan
Jason Morgan

I'm a clueless newbie so cope with me, but what's the deal with GTK and Qt? Do I have to "commit" to one camp if I don't want to bloat my system? When I try to install a Qt program on Ubuntu it comes with like 50 dependencies and vice-versa.

Chase Myers
Chase Myers

yep, that would be software written in C
No, the threshold for a bunch of useful/relevant software isn't only at C.

Lisps fails to be even as relevant with a few handfuls of software as Go, Kotlin or the already dead Visual Basic. It's pretty incredible how little the whole language family has ultimately practically speaking achieved to produce in terms of relevant software in its long life.

You *really* don't understand this "hostility" if someone is trying to push this kind of dangerous failure once again?

Connor Thomas
Connor Thomas

50 dependencies and vice-versa
It's just 2 similar "tookits" that are kind of competing (not sure if "competing" is really the best word for it).

Some devs like one, some like the other. Some make their application with both so the user has the option of which to use.
Ideally you should only need 1, but in practice you might need both if you can't avoid it.

In my opinion though, both kind of suck. They're a bit more bloated then they really have to be, and neither of them lives up to the expectation of being truly "cross-platform" because they try too hard to appear "native" to whichever OS they're running on.
Also, GTK sucks a little bit more because it's developers are world renowned shitheads of the highest degree imaginable. I still use it though because it really dominates the GUI market. GTK is probably 90% and Qt would be something like 10%.

Zachary Collins
Zachary Collins

user, the reason I said it's a HINT is because I don't want to spend an hour discussing all the superior nuance of Guix dependency management.
It wasn't even a hint at anything dependency management related, and nothing about Guix' dependency management seems superior.

necessarily implies PERFECT dependency handling
It can even imply no dependency handling at all, or dependency handling with no / nearly no features.

You should realize ANY unpatched upstream package doesn't tend to build without its non-optional dependencies anyhow, and the perfection is mainly related to how exactly the dependencies are defined and pulled in [both the necessary and optional ones].

What you have here is only a reproducibly bit-identical build toolchain, which again on top of not being terribly related to good management of dependencies [on that end you just record what EXACT package ids and options you compiled with, what a genius innovation!] actually just solves NO particularly important issue in terms of what has shown up in the wild. It's only closing a more hypothetical security issue related to a possible late detection of someone tinkering with builds on the build server.

Christian Phillips
Christian Phillips

what's the deal with GTK and Qt?
Two different GUI toolkits - the main ones on Linux for most programming languages.

Do I have to "commit" to one camp if I don't want to bloat my system?
Yes-ish, but you may simply just be forced to bloat your system.

It's not like GTK software is generally bloating your system significantly less than QT or vice versa, so why did you accept that other one? Right, you wanted the GUI!
Guess what happens if you want a GUI software that happens to have used the other thing? Or even possiblyyet another less used GUI lib? Yep, no choice.

Adrian Sanchez
Adrian Sanchez

I'm honestly not convinced right now that you're not trolling.

What makes you think a package manager that can perfectly reproduce the build toolchain also can't perfectly reproduce the runtime?
That's the HINT I was fucking hoping you'd understand for yourself without me having to spell it out for you.
Because it CAN perfectly reproduce the runtime and all runtime dependencies too.

If that doesn't satisfy you then you're going to have to explain what you think "dependency handling" means (something which you honestly should have done already, and the fact that you haven't explained what you think it means and still claim that my posts are "unrelated" is what makes me think you're trolling)

just solves NO particularly important issue in terms of what has shown up in the wild
Again that's why it was a fucking HINT. I didn't intend for it to be a full smocking gun argument. I'm assuming you can do a web search and read some shit yourself.
But if you insist on being spoon fed then here you go, read:

Brody Carter
Brody Carter

Needs help installing HTML on his website
Is Stallman literally retarded?
It's like he addled his brain with LSD and communism and has lost his ability to use technology created after the 70's

Camden James
Camden James

Who are you quoting?

Luis Adams
Luis Adams

If u arent using arch linux or gentoo kys yourself lmao like stick 2 windows

Logan Gutierrez
Logan Gutierrez

Redpill me on Clear Linux*
I have been using ubuntu for about 4 months now and i mostly do GIS and development on my computer

Attached: clear-linux.png (12 KB, 200x200)

Austin Brown
Austin Brown

That wasn't very friendly.

Christopher Russell
Christopher Russell

Richard Matthew Stallman.

Sebastian Reyes
Sebastian Reyes

What makes you think a package manager that can perfectly reproduce the build toolchain also can't perfectly reproduce the runtime?
Unzip will do that too. Again, almost entirely unrelated to dependency management. To get reproducible builds, you only need to know which exact unique dependencies and settings were used (super simple to do) and do the build the same way again. And the only issue this then solves is the one I mentioned multiple times already.

This isn't at all indicating good dependency management, which is more related to how fast and reliable and exactly it can resolve mandatory and optional dependencies, and whether they're all exhaustively specified - as in absolutely every optional package in every possible version that works is listed for both necessary and optional dependencies, and every impossible package and version is blacklisted / not included, all checked against all relevant parameters (e.g. even if a compile option or presence of package x or anything else makes package y as optional dependency impossible on package z, it blocks).

Guix doesn't have these things actually specified very well yet from all that I could see.

Jacob Parker
Jacob Parker

This might be a stupid question but What is the best way to manage software i have installed from a git repository. Like if i installed something from source, how can i get updated easily if there are new versions of the software and i might want to update my version.
Is this a functionnality i have to learn to use git for?

Adrian Morgan
Adrian Morgan

Is Budgie desktop good yet?

Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Unzip will do that too
Unzip will reproduce the runtime environment
This is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on /fglt/
I'm not even going to read the rest of your post.

In the 1% chance that you're not either a troll or some very unknowledgeable butthurt anti-Guix fag, then I take solace in the fact that if you ever actually type "Guix" into a search engine some day to learn anything at all about it that you'll realize how wrong you are.
And in the case that you don't ever do that I still take solace in the fact that anyone else who has will be able to see through your bullshit.

Wyatt Price
Wyatt Price

no

Luis Peterson
Luis Peterson

git pull

Wyatt Smith
Wyatt Smith

fuck off troll.

Benjamin Murphy
Benjamin Murphy

thanks buddy, worked like a charm.
And to think all this time i thought it was complicated and it would be better to use the AUR. I'm going to reconsider some life choices

Nolan Harris
Nolan Harris

that webm in OP
So this is what archlores do with their frankenstein linux.

Tyler Rogers
Tyler Rogers

Anyone familiar with ffmpeg here? I'm trying to record a few hour programming sessions and I pieced together the following:

ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -c:v libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast "/mnt/Storage/$(date +%d_%B_%Y_%H_%M).mkv"

However there's two issues:
* Sometimes when I watch the video closely, I noticed that there's little artifacts going on around letters, any way to reduce those?
* Second bigger issue, sometimes there will be small tearing stripes of my desktop from behind the active window in the video output, how to remedy this?

Nathan Bailey
Nathan Bailey

It does. Take VM, unzip it, same runtime environment. Take binary, unzip it, same binary.

Apart from that, the problem here is the goal post move no matter how well or not well I explain this. It is simply *not* a great dependency management feature.

Reproducible builds are virtually only interesting for toolchain security; it makes it easier to trust a distro's build machine because you can reproduce the build tooling and result. But even this hasn't ever been a pressing problem anywhere.

Ayden Richardson
Ayden Richardson

Is intel venerabilities mitigation included in the kernel of recent releases of distros?

Attached: 1554895964866.jpg (165 KB, 854x1205)

Chase Smith
Chase Smith

INSTALL GUIX
DISREGARD THE DIM-WITTED

Attached: Wildebeest.jpg (265 KB, 711x1024)

James Morales
James Morales

I think the latest set of vulnerability mitigations were added to 5.1.2 upstream, whether any earlier versions might have received backport patches is obviously distro specific.

Christian Thompson
Christian Thompson

stallman.org/
I am looking for a few more volunteers to help install new political notes on the site.
what did he mean by this

Attached: anime-girl-with-three-questoinmarks.jpg (41 KB, 309x309)

Carter Davis
Carter Davis

A blog post from 18/5/2018

"Since Ubuntu 18.04 is a "LTS" release it will be officially supported by "AMD" with the "AMDGPU-PRO" drivers. These drivers are only available directly from AMD and are geared more towards professional applications. You don't need these drivers for gaming. Actually, the "gaming" part is almost identical to the open source driver. "

Regardless of what I can find on the subject I'm forced to use Ubuntu because the open source "AMD" drivers give me a random black screen upon merely just using my computer. The only way I can bypass this is by using "AMDGPU-PRO". When it goes black I cannot use the "TTY" or "SYSRQ", nor a restart. I have to force shut my computer and boot back in again and it will stop working randomly again until I install "AMDGPU-PRO".

These are some of my outputs:

[email protected]:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] (rev 80)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

[email protected]:~/Desktop$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMDGPU"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

The "xorg log" files give no indication of any problem.

I kind of want to use a better distribution/software so what do I do?

Attached: recherche-facila-aero.png (50 KB, 1980x1020)

Brandon Turner
Brandon Turner

Please write and submit blog posts for this subsection stallman.org/archives/2019-mar-jun.html
is basically what it means.

Wyatt Barnes
Wyatt Barnes

I see, Did the performance suffer due to these mitigations?

Attached: 1558091937948.jpg (450 KB, 1800x1199)

Logan Morgan
Logan Morgan

(cont'd)
BTW maybe he'll give you direct access to that part of the site. Imagine how many stories you could link to Jow Forums anime waifu OPs rather than popular news/blog websites.

I think there were mocking comments suggesting it does on Jow Forums, but I haven't verified anything.

Adam Sanders
Adam Sanders

What are recommended prefixes for custom commands in Emacs? I know C-c, but there was another one if I'm not mistaken.

Attached: sleepy.jpg (226 KB, 1080x1080)

Kevin King
Kevin King

I think there were mocking comments suggesting it does on Jow Forums, but I haven't verified anything.
Is there a way to disable these mitigation?
Without re-compiling the kernel?

Jaxson Butler
Jaxson Butler

Documentation/admin-guide/hw-vuln/mds.rst says yes, you pass mds=off at boot

There was one more, but I didn't read the other vulnerability's docs. Not very relevant to me, eh.

Hudson Allen
Hudson Allen

Thanks, I'm not running a server so I don't need those mitigation.

Nolan Hughes
Nolan Hughes

gentoo is doing its thing and I'm off to bed

Attached: IMG-20190524-214901.jpg (526 KB, 3136x1973)

Jonathan Morales
Jonathan Morales

add mitigations=off to your kernel boot parameters to disable everything.

add mds=off to just disable the mds parts. see
dev.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_Linux_run_blazing_fast_(again)_on_Intel_CPUs
for more individual options.

Alexander Long
Alexander Long

Plus "tracking does not work" is a stretch
Connection is dynamic IP can restart rauter to get new IP often to lazy to do so.

geotracking says I'm in a different city then I'm actually am.
I could use VPN if I wanted to obscure my IP geolocation.

stretch
Or I (IP/rauter) look like a cybercafey or university or public WiFi hotspot etc.
google is really not that obsessed over IPs in this day and age its all about the super cookies.

application sandboxes
To lazy. I get a new account where everything is tied to the account every application every system bullshit. and on Linux (or Linux mint at least) its super fast to set up it really takes about the amount of time like typing the name of the account and pressing create to get it operational not the windows bullshit.

Firejail or bubblewrap or the IMO too cumbersome but capable systemd-nspawn or whatever
interesting I look into them thanks for the info.

I don't get you
TTYs allow you to instantly switch between TTYs by pressing CTRL+ALT+F(key)

Excluding the main control account that I use there are 6 TTYs I can use to accounts and instantly switch between them for different reasons (shitposting, degenerate porn, banking, work).

Oh I almost forgot Jow Forums how can I get more then 7 TTYs in linux (linux mint)?
I want to have all F keys on a TTY.

How can I get more TTYs? since only 7 TTYs start by default.

I want F1 to F12 to be all TTYs so 11 TTYs excluding the main control one.
Word on the street is that linux kernel has 63 TTYs.

Attached: 300px-Steve-jobs-by-rware-d3af4rz.jpg (68 KB, 300x456)

Ethan Moore
Ethan Moore

Doubling the question from previous thread in more condensed form, since I still want to find out if someone encountered the irrelevant partition appearing by itself:
I found some weird partition on my netbook. I only noticed it when started preparing partitions for Linux installation. It was shown as EFI partition in Win disk utility and had all the actions greyed out. It didn't mount in Linux either. All i know about it is that it's empty, has a size of 18.4 Mib and fdisk also shows it as an EFI partition.
I don't know why would it have an EFI partition, because this netbook runs BIOS. But still, Win utility can't delete it for some reason.
So, wtf is this drive and what can I do with it?
Pic related, it's sda4.

Attached: IMG-20190523-223713.jpg (2.88 MB, 4608x3456)

Eli James
Eli James

IP can restart rauter to get new IP often to lazy to do so.
Yea, and you probably also leak other bits of information allowing tracking. And be it MAC addresses or fingerprintable default settings in your browser or whatever.

To lazy.
Nah - in particularly firejail but also bubblewrap are usually quite easy.

interesting I look into them thanks for the info.
Exactly. It should be even easier.

Hunter Ross
Hunter Ross

No clue - did you consult your search engine after finding out what stuff is actually contained in that partition?

Gavin Sanders
Gavin Sanders

What's so good about search engines that everyone recommends them over interaction with humans?

Brody Gomez
Brody Gomez

or fingerprintable default settings in your browser or whatever.

default settings in your browser or whatever.
default settings

I don't think you get it.
its a different account in linux OS.

Its basically like buying a new computer and for 1 purposes.
Its like starting a VM for only 1 purposes.
Only its not one of them not so costly and system heave.

EVERY setting is in /home/shitpostign-user
Every setting of this user is in
/home/shitpostign-user
EVERY browser configuration file.
EVERY personal configuration file.

And the best thing on Linux mint is that the fonts I install are only in the local home directory so google can feel free to watch this fingerprint however once the session is over this account and all of its configurations -> fingerprints go away.

I recommend you read I deleted because I did fucked up in encapsulating the code in tags and the new one is the corrected one.

I can get totally different ads in different TTYs at the same time and this is enough for me.

MAC address
Wait since when do browsers transmit MAC address to google?

Kayden Turner
Kayden Turner

that's one annoying thing about guix, you never know if it will decide to download packages or compile them.
"guix weather" shows % of things compiled
"--dry-run" option will show what steps it will take without doing them so you can see specifically what would be done

What you're doing is saying Guix lacks features compared to what you're used to when really you just need to learn how to use Guix.

Charles Campbell
Charles Campbell

anons
humans
Cute.

Gavin Smith
Gavin Smith

Okay so I'm a fucking huge noob, all I've ever done is install Xubuntu and fuck around in the console a tiny bit. How hard would it be to pick up Arch or Gentoo and throw that on my Thinkpad?

Josiah Sanders
Josiah Sanders

also, for the record the build servers are constantly compiling stuff, so if something isn't downloading, it just wasn't built yet. you can wait, you can build it yourself, or you can do a partial upgrade. e.g.

guix package --do-not-upgrade=icecat -u

Tyler Edwards
Tyler Edwards

is your wifi card a socketed mini pci-e card? if so, you can replace it with one that has support from linux-libre.

Jace Wright
Jace Wright

I started with xubuntu about 10 days ago. Arch was easy, Gentoo is a lot more involved and I'll let you know tomorrow if I fucked up

Benjamin Ward
Benjamin Ward

noob
Both will likely ultimately have you read docs for a bunch of hours. What makes you immediately require Gentoo/Arch instead of Xubuntu or such?

Julian Morales
Julian Morales

you could use a different environment. openbox lets you hide window decorations. not sure how to do this in gnome. good luck.

Adrian Lewis
Adrian Lewis

Are you literate? Can you input commands as shown in the instructions? Then you'll probably do fine.

Samuel Baker
Samuel Baker

some people think of it like gtk is gnome and qt is kde, but most things are gtk. I've used tiling WMs for years now and basically every graphical program I use is gtk and uses my configured gtk theme

Caleb Wright
Caleb Wright

Does it have ublock support? I compiled it yesterday just to find out that it has a ton of useless addons and a cheap ublock clone with a Russian description

Blake Morgan
Blake Morgan

Those are old news, it's all about Guix System and NixOS now.

Daniel Torres
Daniel Torres

Stop right there.
Anyone who recommends you get Arch or Gentoo is:
A)Troll
B)Autistic
C)Actually a MS shill trying to get people burned with Linux.

You play around in your Xubuntu and live with it for some time.
Brows the internet on it, download pictures and movies and keep them there. Watch movies on linux.

Do internet stuff on your Xubuntu or see if you can not do things like and once you are comfortable there. Try to do some projects or interesting stuff. Write some scripts it will come naturally over time.

And once your noob-linux is super comfy for you I recommend looking into other distros or trying to install them.

I remember laughing when a gentoo user needed to swap some kernal flags to get wine to work while mint did have it opened from the get go and it just worked in my linux.

You don't start learning mathematics by starting with learning exponential functions with imaginary numbers. you start with addition and move to subtraction etc.

Hunter Evans
Hunter Evans

He is only a programmer. He has never tried to learn other computer things like installing and configuring an OS. I think his degree is in physics.

Henry Price
Henry Price

freedo a cute

Attached: 1558701392783.png (74 KB, 626x612)

Adrian Perry
Adrian Perry

My ultimate goal is to lern2code, I want to get into C, Scheme, and Python since they seem to cover a fairly broad range. Whatever distro supports that best is what I'll go with. For reference I'll be installing it on an X230 thinkpad with an i7.

Attached: 1537236146538.jpg (100 KB, 962x1200)

Ryder Nelson
Ryder Nelson

You probably won't see a large difference between distros - just configure your vim and/or IDE and [continuous?] build tooling and such things instead.

If you hit serious issues that seem distro-related, you can switch distros then.

Alexander Ortiz
Alexander Ortiz

My ultimate goal is to lern2code,
I want to get into C
Let me stop you right there.
I learned to program C on windows there is no programming OS.

Whatever distro supports that best is what I'll go with
Practically every OS is good for programming excluding phone OS or joke OS.

Whatever distro
Practically everyone excluding joke distros.
Mint, Kubuntu, Red hat is good even windows.

You are more interested in the IDE the same way you are interested in the browser.
However you can write C programs and compile them in the linux command line since linux OSs come with gcc build in.
However look into IDEs.

Whatever distro supports that best
The only thing you need to know is that system scripting(yes they are programs) is OS dependent.

Linux has bash
Its a good scripting language I have no idea how to really install it in windows.

MS-DOS (YES DOS!) and windows have .BAT (or whatever the fuck that shit with the .BAT extension is because MS-DOS also accepts it)
Literally the only still in use high level programming language that supports GOTO no forget that .BAT can only be programmed using GOTOs.
Use this shit only if you need to or are interested in seeing what you can do with only GOTO programming.

This is the only exclusive thing in programming.

Andrew Reyes
Andrew Reyes

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hudson Hill
Hudson Hill

I'd just like to interject for a moment.
Did you notice I did not say linux is a OS?
I did say
Mint, Kubuntu, Red hat

Checkmate meme poster.

Logan Fisher
Logan Fisher

Fuck it, I'll just install Xubuntu.

Christian Turner
Christian Turner

blessed user

Austin Wood
Austin Wood

You be more interested in the IDE and IDEs are cross platform for the most part. Like browsers.

I learned to program C++ on a IDE that was not updated since 1999 and is written in pascal.

Its name is DEV C++. good times good times.
ONLY YOU MUST READ THIS WARNING
remember to always start your example projects in the "console project" category not "win32 project" because your learning exercises are console project. Many days of pure rage where made and of
Why is this not working!?
Before I realized it.

Xubuntu
look into its repo under IDE or programming.

Evan Clark
Evan Clark

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Oh remember everything that is compiled will work on the OS from the start.

Everything that is interpreted will require you install a interpreter in the OS.

C and C++ are compiled so the compiler translates C/C++ into what the computer naturally understands.

Python is interpreted and the OS needs to have a interpreter that translates the raw python code to the OS in real time.

Oliver Phillips
Oliver Phillips

so I figured out that I'm sane and want a decent os so I decided to install debian

Landon Reyes
Landon Reyes

//boards.Jow Forums.org/r/catalog#s=eddit

Christian Jackson
Christian Jackson

Thank you, Richard.

I admit that I am totally wrong. It is indeed GNU/Linux, as it should be.

Everything I am I owe to you. Without the generous, benevolent work of you and the FSF, I would be flipping hamburgers in Helsinki.

I am not even worthy of washing your feet with my tongue.

Thank you for correcting my disgraceful errors.

Love,
L.

Ian Foster
Ian Foster

psst kid how about some debian

Attached: Bdale-pic1.jpg (297 KB, 1170x1752)

Aiden Ross
Aiden Ross

What about TempleOS?

Bentley Baker
Bentley Baker

MEMEPLE OS

Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey

How do I connect to a Windows file share in Debian with XFCE?

Cooper Morgan
Cooper Morgan

You can just put it into fstab to mount it and then of course it's in the directory it was mounted in.

Elijah Moore
Elijah Moore

Is it normal that different youtube videos have different max volume values? I'm using pulseaudio and in pic each video has the youtube player volume set to max yet pavucontrol shows them at different values. Why is that and can I change that? It's not really a problem I'm just curious why

Attached: file.png (69 KB, 940x683)

Angel Howard
Angel Howard

It's because Mr. Lennart "my way or the highway" Poettering thought it was a good idea for some unknown reason that literally nobody else on earth understands.

Just disable flat-volumes to fix it. Make the file ~/.conf/pulse/daemon.conf with the contents
flat-volumes = no
then restart pulseaudio with "pulseaudio -k" (and possibly restart your browser too if necessary)

Kevin Stewart
Kevin Stewart

thunar uses gvfs and if you have the gvfs-smb installed you can type in smb://$IPADDRESS/ in the file location bar

Attached: thunar-smb-shares.png (263 KB, 1592x1201)

Mason Hall
Mason Hall

Thanks. This was exactly what I wanted.

Jayden Watson
Jayden Watson

Anyone have experience with a wifi card gradually slowing down with use, (over a few hours).
OS is Arch/Manjaro, laptop is Lelnovo t430.
When you reboot, the wifi is back up to speed.
Is it buggy Linux drivers or a dying wifi card?

Nathan Richardson
Nathan Richardson

based user

Oliver Johnson
Oliver Johnson

Did that but it doesn't work. When I run pulseaudio --dump-conf it tells me that the config was loaded from /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and flat-volumes is set to no. Tried rebooting and nothing changed

Dylan Martin
Dylan Martin

I already said - it doesn't mount, I can't see what is stored here. But it's has 100% of free space, so I suppose that it's empty or has some dynamic file, like those readyboost ones.
Plus, all searches by query "efi drive on bios system" just return information about regular efi drives, so is right.

Christian King
Christian King

If it doesn't mount, it's probably not a valid FAT filesystem, which in turn means it's probably not a valid EFI partition.

Obviously you could try to figure out what it is, but at this point I'd just delete it and move on.

Thomas Sanders
Thomas Sanders

That's odd. I'm not sure I would trust dump-conf to list everywhere it's actually loading configs from.
Do you have anything in ~/.pulse?

Oliver Anderson
Oliver Anderson

My script.sh starts with

#!/usr/bin/env bash
source "functions.sh"
echo "$1"

I can read $0, $1, $* inside functions.sh, but not in the main script. It's always unset. How can I solve that without ugly hacks?

./script.sh "/home/abc/ok.jpg"
$1: unbound variable

Kevin Myers
Kevin Myers

No such file or directory. To give some background I got manjaro i3 edition and I ran the install_pulse script pastebin.com/Rf8WRJ5C

Grayson Evans
Grayson Evans

What kernel has the intel hyperthreading patch?

Sebastian Sanders
Sebastian Sanders

Linux

David Garcia
David Garcia

thought my animations were choppy, checked cpu usage and scrolling firefox halves out 24 cores on a v4 xeon ? what the fuck ?
anyone got an idea ? using an HD7970 with void linux

Attached: 2019-05-24-090117-3440x1440-scrot.png (172 KB, 1701x586)

Elijah Reyes
Elijah Reyes

What Kernel version?

Henry Ross
Henry Ross

All joking aside, what are some things that windows does inherently better than linux?
I'm curious, patent hoarding doesn't count.

Zachary Hall
Zachary Hall

Blue screen, force updates.

Austin Rodriguez
Austin Rodriguez

Windows users or normies starting with advanced distros is like taking kindergarten kids to some advanced university mathematics class and expecting them to understand or solve the problems.

Now class we will use matrix multiplication to arrive at the solution
What do you mean you don't know what matrix multiplication is?!
What do you mean you don't understand what a negative fraction is???!!!!!
What do you mean you don't understand the concept of a fraction !!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

There is a reason training wheels are on bikes for kids and why you actually start with the basics in school.

Attached: istockphoto-145783604-640x640.jpg (37 KB, 640x360)

William Cooper
William Cooper

Not a problem on linux mint with proprietary drivers.

James Clark
James Clark

have dilatate, trannerino

Aaron Myers
Aaron Myers

//boards.Jow Forums.org/pol/

Jace Long
Jace Long

Define windows and define better then we talk.

Windows managed to be the single biggest peace of shit imaginable despite having a monopoly and billions of dollars thrown into it.
Registry rot, crashes, internal failures the OS actually going insane and senile after 1 year.

MS is actively hostile and fucks over its own user base.

In contrast to the under 1% meme linux OSs manage to run circles around windows who lacks even the basic features tabs in window manager, virtual desktops for over 10 years not showing up.
Then MS demands you buy the game of the year edition of the OS to get the most basic features like more ram support or the ability to create software raid.

And then MS decides to remove features from the OS because fuck YOU!

No one wants to run windows the only thing windows has going for it is other software that needs windows API crap to load itself.
Imagine windows not having all the software it has and only the one you get on GNU+loonix.

The OS is worse in every regard. Windows looks like some schizophrenic abomination with over 6 different ways to store configuration that where abandoned over the years to finally arrive at the shit that unix did have from the start (all configs go in text to /home/user/).

No one would use windows if the playing field was the same. And this would have bean trivial if the government mandated one single unified API every application needs to use so every OS manufacturer can get 100% compatibility with all software.
Make the API code GPL and say that every API needs to be GPL or its a crime.
100% compatibility everywhere and MS is dead withing 1 year.

No one gives a shit what the API is or how nightmarish it is written if its GPL everyone can include it and use it.
Don't like the government API? Make your own only it needs to be GPL.

Liam Nelson
Liam Nelson

who else is waiting for the juicy 5.2 kernel?

Jason Long
Jason Long

juicy 5.2 kernel?
What is so great about upgrading kernels? My works I see no issue or need to change it.

Why change it if its not broken?

Ayden Gray
Ayden Gray

AAA FAKK U; WE WILL FORCE ALL TO JUICE AUR OWN API!!! FAKK LONIX!!! FAKK MAC!!! FAKK UR MOM!!!

-- Pajeet Pooinstreet, Microsoft Redmond

Gabriel Russell
Gabriel Russell

It's important to update Linux to maintain the security of your system. Linux is constantly being updated to fix bugs and other issues that could affect you even if your system "works" and you don't notice changes. If you want to update less frequently, I'd advise switching to the LTS kernel, which gets critical security updates backported so you don't need to update as much.

Mason Moore
Mason Moore

go read the 5.2 changelog, its already out but not stable yet

Jeremiah Peterson
Jeremiah Peterson

I once talked to win-slave some people are born slaves and you will wish genocide on every win-slave in existence.

I pointed out that the unix file-systems allow you to use every character except null and / (I like to also have the ability to use / in file names) so I can use ? and name folders ??? I think everyone can agree this is a good thing.

You never guess what the win-slave talked to me in his slave deluded brain.
Its a good thing that some characters are restricted
I tried to explain that you have special characters like ? and you still can use them in file names however it simply did not compute in the win-slave minds.

It was like seeing someone defend being only able to use the 8.3 filenames in this day and age.
It was not even a sentence or anything coherent. Its like these people want to be oppressed and slaves.

Attached: win-slave.jpg (48 KB, 532x266)

Jose Turner
Jose Turner

if you dgaf you should be on 4.19 kernel not any less

Noah Rogers
Noah Rogers

Linux keeps completely locking up on me, maybe it's X I dunno. Happens most quickly if I'm using a browser and open lots of tabs but also randomly happens other times. Happening on 3 different computers with different hardware. One with nvidia graphics, the other 2 intel.

wtf how do I figure this out? it's kind of a showstopper, but I haven't used windows in years and have no desire to return, and I only have OSX on my mbp it's not really an option for the desktop (hackintosh seems like it'd be troublesome).

How do I figure out what's going on? What logs to check? None of the X error logs seem to have anything noteworthy.

Adrian Martinez
Adrian Martinez

Ok, I tried searching again and I found out not only the actual meaning for this partition but for another one, too (I described it in previous thread jowforums.com/thread/71054933/technology). Turns out the EFI partition is a "boot booster". And another partition is a backup one, I found a way to hide it again through diskpart.
Here's the info:
superuser.com/questions/259001/asus-eeepc-1005pe-netbook-special-partitions-restore-and-boot-booster

William Hall
William Hall

And here it is the truth of it all if the government mandated a GPL API or forced everyone to release their API code under the GPL MS would go bankrupt within a year.

Think about it there is a standard electricity plug you don't get discussions like
Oh I love to switch to alpha electric, my beta electric provider is terrible. only all my appliances only work on beta electric electricity.

Or discussions like this:
I love to switch to a ford car however all the roads I drive on are are BMW roads so I lose access to all the places I go to.

Even if everyone decides to make their own API its not a problem to fit them in modern OSs.
you can see this with browsers who support chrome extensions.
Of course in this brave new world you get sails pitches like
This OS supports 12 APIs windows 98, win XP, win 7, OSX, Xbox, Play Station, Nintendo, Atari and even Temple OS.

Attached: yjhiW81.jpg (73 KB, 1000x667)

Bentley Perez
Bentley Perez

Name 5 security threats that are even remotely important.
It's important to update Linux to get the newest NSA backdoor and NSA spyware on your system
Fixed that for you.

Andrew Martinez
Andrew Martinez

Now, knowing about this, I'm rethinking again how to arrange the partitions. Boot booster and backup are not vital, but are useful in the long term, so I could disable and delete one of them only to recreate it on some logical partition again. But would they work on logical partitions? Because these features seem really low-level.
The other option is to copy my files from non-system partition, delete it, create an extended partition and return the files on one of the logical parts but then "date modified" could be lost.
Surely partitioning is the hardest part of installation.

Brandon Jones
Brandon Jones

i just like new stuff, 5.2 has plenty

Robert Richardson
Robert Richardson

Name 5 security threats
I dare you.

Ian Wright
Ian Wright

How can i port forward ssh securely? Is it secure to make this? Will i expose my network to some threats? What precautions should i take? What can i read to make it super secure? I want to let a pc running ssh and connect to it when i'm traveling.

Parker Johnson
Parker Johnson

And here it is the truth of it all if the government mandated a GPL API or forced everyone to release their API code under the GPL MS would go bankrupt within a year.
if copyleft shit was mandatory no one could make money from software
yeah no fucking shit you dumb cunt

William Jackson
William Jackson

i just like new stuff
I like things having meaningless increases in numbers pretending like they are meaningful, this is my autism.

Joshua Brown
Joshua Brown

API is all of software.
How can you be this retarded?
Government making the CD specification public and a open standard is communism
Government forcing me to allow all models of cars on my roads prevents anyone from selling cars or me making money on this road.

Samuel Jones
Samuel Jones

t seething MS shill.

Jonathan Garcia
Jonathan Garcia

Disable passwords. Use public key authentication only.

I also use a non-standard port and disable all users except mine, but that is not really necessary. As long as you disable passwords, you'll be fine. If you use port 22 your logs will probably fill up with people running various kinds of attacks, but they have no hope of success against a public-key-only server. Using a non-standard port will eliminate most of that stuff.

ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
PasswordAuthentication no

Connor Rogers
Connor Rogers

i dont care about security, i'm a kernel weeb

Easton Gray
Easton Gray

The government forcing me to actually tell everyone what voltage and frequency I use in my electric socket is communism!
The government protecting my """intellectual property"" by hunting down anyone who tries to test what frequency and voltage I use in my socket is capitalism and freedom.

Personally I think every OS must be mandated to GPL(or public domain however in essence it its GPL then) because a OS is to important nowadays(practically nothing runs on machine code alone so anyone can build a machine from the specifications of the hardware and get the code to work is no longer true) to be proprietary.
However making the API code GPL is a perfect balance.

if copyleft shit was mandatory no one could make money from software
You can not possibly be this retarded its like saying people can not sell software if the OS is GPL.
And there is steam for linux you retard, you can buy software on a GPL OS. And because whatever the Steam OS API is everyone can run these games forever because the API can be implemented everywhere.

And its irrelevant how cancerous or spaghetti code the API gets you simply take the GPL blob and install it in the OS and never think what the black box of spaghetti code is doing and have it work everywhere.

You are so retarded that you are literally on the level of saying this:
Because the internet TCP/IP are open standards and the web protocols are standardized open standards no one can make money on the internet or sell anything or sell access to online videos.
And this is simply not true you fagot!
Making every API GPL allows everyone to start making a OS and get all the compatibility of whatever the original OS was.

Are you some republican or libertarian?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720)

Landon Richardson
Landon Richardson

Ok thank you for answering, but this sounds so perfect to me, i mean just the key? What about my network will it be secure too?
Because i heard sysadmin people saying this kind of stuff is really hard to secure and all that.

Elijah Rodriguez
Elijah Rodriguez

Also, you can use ssh_config to define default users and ports on a per-machine basis, so even if you use different usernames and non-standard ports you can still simply "ssh home" or "ssh router" or whatever.

Use /etc/hosts to assign nicknames like "home" and "router" do different machines.

You'll want to be sure that your IP address is not going to change. I have found that residential connections generally keep the same IP address for years at a time even though they are not statically assigned. I use a dynamic DNS system anyway, just in case.

Carson Flores
Carson Flores

A public-key-only SSH server, assuming that it's free of serious bugs, governmetnt backdoors, etc, will not affect your network security.

Dominic White
Dominic White

Ubuntu 18.xx gave me hell with my RX 480, no matter what drivers I used.
I ended up going with 19.04 and now I have no issues.
Kinda wanted the LTS, but 19.04 works and 18.xx just didn't play nice.

Ayden Rodriguez
Ayden Rodriguez

Gonna need to know what distro you're running chief.

Matthew Ramirez
Matthew Ramirez

redpill me on manjaro or(inclusive) gentoo

Adam Baker
Adam Baker

maybe was just mesa?

Camden Martin
Camden Martin

redpill me
Gentoo does not really exist. It's a conspiracy.

Connor Hernandez
Connor Hernandez

Manjaro's "security" team idea of a fix for their expired forum/site certificate was to tell their dumbfuck users to roll back their computer's clock a week.

Nolan Reed
Nolan Reed

portage is the white man's package manager

Parker Cooper
Parker Cooper

Is that true? Because that is pretty funny.

Noah Hughes
Noah Hughes

Is that true?
Yes.

Ryder Fisher
Ryder Fisher

best way to make a webm of my screen? right now i am recording a mp4 and converting it with this: ffmpeg -i grab.mp4 -c:v libvpx -crf 10 -b:v 0 -b:a 128k -c:a libopus grab.webm
is there a better way? the quality is good but it blinks every few seconds.

Juan Clark
Juan Clark

Yes yes, i know all that. I'm never going back trust me. But i'm just wondering, what does it better? Is there something that is better/more logically written in windows than gnu/linux/bsd? They have to have something going for them?

Jose Scott
Jose Scott

This wasn't 'the security team' , retard.

Jayden Barnes
Jayden Barnes

Yeah I guess you can't call someone who comes up with such an asinine solution "security" anything. Stop defending that cuck distro for reddits, you pbitch fuck.

Jack Anderson
Jack Anderson

install manjaro
open Firefox
transfer large folder from one disk to another disk
5 minutes later it crashes. It's happened twice so far. If I decide to cuck myself and install some ubuntu derivative, will this keep happening?

Hudson Fisher
Hudson Fisher

Only because some retard maintaining a forum for a distro gave a bad advice doesn't doom a whole software project - ofc, unless you're king of the memes.

Hunter Richardson
Hunter Richardson

Windows is malware. Stop searching for something good in something that was born to be bad.

Luke Baker
Luke Baker

linux STILL has problems copying large files to FAT32/NTFS USB

Attached: 1556503093533.png (175 KB, 896x722)

Austin Cruz
Austin Cruz

What are some good replacements for xfce4-terminal?

Leo Carter
Leo Carter

I switched to Ubuntu 6 months ago and haven't been interested in any other distro. Now NixOS caught my mind thanks to my love of functional programming.

Should I install it?

Attached: computer-science.gif (2.42 MB, 320x240)

Blake Sanders
Blake Sanders

install virtual machine software
download OS image of choice
install OS to virtual machine
play around, do stuff
decide if you like it by having firsthand experience using it
profit

Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson

Now that is way more patient and reasonable than I usually do things.

Charles Bennett
Charles Bennett

not linux problem

Jeremiah Jenkins
Jeremiah Jenkins

Is it possible to change the text colors of a terminal... through the terminal?

Currently running Ubuntu via a docker image

Henry Russell
Henry Russell

Urxvt, st, termite, terminology, cool-retro-term

Ethan Wilson
Ethan Wilson

Is it possible to change the text colors of a terminal... through the terminal?
Yes
Go bare metal, retard.

Adam Wilson
Adam Wilson

Anyone else have a handful of slightly intensive graphical games under Linux (some native steam game, Overwatch under wine with dxvk, maybe CSGO but I can not recall and barely played it) with an nvidia card (950 gtx) with official nvidia drivers occasionally lead to complete system freezes?
It is not common for me but when it happens the last portion (fractions of a second) of sound will be looping sounding like some mechanical grinding noise
nothing responds and the only solution is a hard reset (e.g the numpad lights do not toggle, cursor does not move)

I originally thought maybe it was overheating but even manually setting the fan to full blast still causes it to happen.
Maybe it is that I am using the efi framebuffer and nvidia does not like that?
or perhaps it is a [ram] memory issue?
what happens if you run out of video memory, applications just crash normally?

it has never happened in other games like lagolagends or SC2.
it is a very hard issue for me to debug too since what logs are you supposed to have available if it is a freeze rather than a crash?

Attached: 1556954172874.png (136 KB, 457x512)

Elijah Wright
Elijah Wright

that's pretty gay

Sebastian Hill
Sebastian Hill

There is literally nothing wrong with being gay.

Aiden King
Aiden King

yes it is. the problem only occurs on linux, which makes it necessarily a linux problem

Juan Barnes
Juan Barnes

You're confusing Linux with an operating system.

Connor Morgan
Connor Morgan

why do you use inferior, ancient and outright shit file systems?

Colton Wilson
Colton Wilson

there may be people in this thread, right now, using the windows wsl
you may help some guy having fun with cool terminal commands on windows
correct way to deal with these thoughts?

Gavin Peterson
Gavin Peterson

My girlfriend is Korean and says that it's creepy that you guys save videos of K-pop idols.

Cooper Russell
Cooper Russell

if the linux operating system with the gnu kernel is so great then why is fglt always talking about windows?

Hunter Ross
Hunter Ross

linux operating system
gnu kernel

Attached: retardman.jpg (29 KB, 499x376)

Christian Robinson
Christian Robinson

Man, you never know about user. It doesn't matter. That's the nice thing. Just be nice, always. This generates a niceness chain reaction; user, whoever he may be, will enjoy the feel you gave him by helping him and he will help the next guy. This works for any board and any topic.

Attached: 1541867743016.jpg (75 KB, 491x1000)

Chase Hughes
Chase Hughes

mfw installed GUIX

Attached: this..-is..-beautiful.gif (762 KB, 245x150)

John Adams
John Adams

Welcome home, daddy. You have been waiting for this so long.

Attached: 1495140079252.jpg (86 KB, 768x768)

Kevin Jackson
Kevin Jackson

Attached: cheers.gif (2.32 MB, 348x323)

Jacob Diaz
Jacob Diaz

Welcome

Attached: 1543592723319.gif (634 KB, 500x460)

Carson Perry
Carson Perry

not sure I will use it tho lol

Grayson Lopez
Grayson Lopez

Any reason to run "startx" instead of "xinit"?

As far as I can tell, all it does when run without options is run xinit with an option that sets the location of the X authority file in /tmp. Is there a reason not to use the default ~/Xauthority?

Bentley James
Bentley James

did you try to install a free driver for Nvidia

Tyler Thomas
Tyler Thomas

If I put two OS's on a laptop (Thinkpad?), Windows and a Libre Linux distro.

How compromised will my laptop be? I need Windows for work unfortunately.

Mason Jenkins
Mason Jenkins

always hear Jow Forums talk about how DEs are shit and WMs are superior
could never be fucked to set a WM up or learn the keybinds for a tiling WM so just used DE anyway
recently, i fucked up my sddm and i couldnt be fucked to fix it, so i threw together a quick desktop with openbox+tint2+compton as a temporary fix
turns out it's slicker and much more comfy than pretty much any DE i've ever used

I should have done something like this sooner, honestly. I mean, KDE does still have some merits that warrant its use, I feel, but this rudimentary Openbox setup blows every other DE I've used out of the water in terms of speed, simplicity, stability, and lack of jankyness, without compromising on functionality. This is probably the first time I've used a desktop on GNU/Linux where I can drag and resize windows without them turning into disgusting laggy messes, for example. I'm just kind of impressed that it works so much better than something like XFCE.

Attached: 1556438776675.png (167 KB, 441x611)

Liam Howard
Liam Howard

Why not use a VM?

Carson Morris
Carson Morris

Yes, microsoft could be fucked enough to waste resources spying on your special snowflake device.

Adrian Ramirez
Adrian Ramirez

someone got a nice guix commands list to share?
as much as I enjoy reading manuals, and I have been doing that too, sometimes it is better to have them listed out for perusal.
getting my head around emacs-guix too
what the fuck would be the point then? how about just keeping the device with work stuff and keep your linux elsewhere? not like thinkpads are all that expensive.

Easton Gray
Easton Gray

Just read the manuals, ADHD zoomer. Or g back to whatever babby distro you sprang from.

Angel Ramirez
Angel Ramirez

I need to use Photoshop and other adobe programs, which is very heavy on the GPU and processors.

Isaiah Lewis
Isaiah Lewis

What does it mean "compromised"? Free software is not a moral superiority sect with a set of rules. You can use whatever you want in any combination, but having particular closed-source proprietary programs simply can be bad for you because they can possess harmful functionalities, and because the developers can have unjustified power over you. As Stallman has said, I'm not going to scorn you for using proprietary software, it's not your moral fault that you're in a jail because of developers' whim, but leaving the proprietary jail is your right, and you can exercise it in practice with GNU and other free programs.

Joseph Jenkins
Joseph Jenkins

rude/arrogant person misrepresenting Guix and its great community. I'm sorry for him.

Samuel Ortiz
Samuel Ortiz

ADHD zoomer
Rude, I'm not asking for a jewtube vid or some twitch stream.

Caleb Perez
Caleb Perez

I did not, has nouevau really come that far?

Luis Kelly
Luis Kelly

3 years ago, Nouveau gave you roughly 50% of performance of Nvidia drivers, I think it has improved.

Austin Gomez
Austin Gomez

Is there any program similar to pacolog that will actually output the git diff of the new package?

Chase James
Chase James

Dual-boot is fine if you must use windows. Just setup full-disk encryption on the linux partition, most distributions do it for you automatically. Then you're good to go.

Charles Murphy
Charles Murphy

Attached: guix-refcard.png (485 KB, 3508x2479)

Xavier Williams
Xavier Williams

Real question, how do I get busybox onto a system? Am I just retarded? Did I miss something?

Gavin Nelson
Gavin Nelson

libreoffice
me scrolling page with touchpad
jaggy scrolling, sometimes in right direction, sometimes in wrong
other programs scroll like butter
try enabling smooth scrolling
fucking nothing
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? HOW DO I FIX THIS PIECE OF SHIT?

Jose Green
Jose Green

Screw your (((distributions)))... I'm falling for LFS meme, at least there I won't need fixing shit, since everything will work like it was intended.

Gavin Ortiz
Gavin Ortiz

Do you have a package manager?

Dominic James
Dominic James

So I recently installed Debian on my laptop and chose Cinnamon just to see what it's like, but I'm already turned off by it.
What DM should I try instead? I remember using XFCE a long time ago and that was good.

Jayden Allen
Jayden Allen

xfce is still good

I won't need fixing shit
everything will work like it was intended
Prepare to be bamboozled.

Grayson Morales
Grayson Morales

Literally all distro maintainers do fucking weird and unnecessary patches, which cause fucking problems.
LFS doesn't have this problem, since my fixes ALWAYS work, since it will be used only on my machines. Also, it doesn't have any easy method to update shit, so, you won't update it without need.

In meantime, I add fucking fedora repo to OpenSUSE, because nazis fucked up really badly this time.

Cooper Harris
Cooper Harris

Btw, now I kinda get why Windows is superior. It doesn't have fucking repos, which means all dependencies are already in the software you're installing, meanwhile on any Linux distribution, it is complete mess

Brody Phillips
Brody Phillips

Lightweight distro that just werks? Recommendations? I've been running Linux Mint 17.1 LTS for way too long and things are starting to get fucked up.

Attached: 1547741516566.jpg (25 KB, 607x710)

William Adams
William Adams

short answer is you can't. gtk3 and gnome are a blight on every system where they're installed. the devs force their ugly shitty giant title but no menu bar theme into everything and then cry endlessly when users try to change it. if you're up for a bit of a challenge you can try installing luakit. it's a lightweight keyboard driven browser that uses webkit and vim keybindings. it's a pain to get used to but once you have it figured out you can work really quickly in your browser. i believe debian has it in its repos.

James Ortiz
James Ortiz

Sorry for blogposting, but this is epic.
I converted OpenSUSE 42 into tumbleweed, now I will convert OpenSUSE to Fedora. Kek.

Attached: this-can't-end-well.png (259 KB, 1228x684)

Jackson Gutierrez
Jackson Gutierrez

it might just work. zypper is known by anybody with wisdom to be the best package manager linux has. those germans have autism to spare.

John Peterson
John Peterson

How is Lubuntu these days?

Joseph Jenkins
Joseph Jenkins

Would be epic, but it is too much conflicts...

Adam White
Adam White

It now uses LXQt. I personally liked LXDE much better but the GNOME world is going to shit so fast and trying to force everyone on to GTK3 so the change to Qt was smart. In a year or two LXQt will probably have caught up to LXDE in terms of usability, even if the resource usage is notably higher.

Adam Gutierrez
Adam Gutierrez

How do I edit an AppImage? I'm retarded and haven't used Linux in like 12 years and GUI apparently still isn't a thing... I just want to make my prints look good without having to use my wife's windows10 machine

Attached: 2019-05-24-221136-734x458-scrot.png (169 KB, 734x458)

Mason Price
Mason Price

can we just call it gnux pronounced like nukes or nooks

Evan James
Evan James

Yes

Nolan Gutierrez
Nolan Gutierrez

The easiest way is simply to install an OS that defaults to busybox

One of the better and more popular ones that can be server or desktop is Alpine,

Joshua Miller
Joshua Miller

In any case, snapper should fix da shit.

Liam Parker
Liam Parker

Linux Mint 17.1 LTS
Are you the same idiot from the last time?

Luis Harris
Luis Harris

Wtf are you even trying to do there?

Jordan Phillips
Jordan Phillips

cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x dildo.AppImage
./dildo.AppImage

Mason Morgan
Mason Morgan

actually my bad, see you wanted to do more than just run it. looks like such a pain to edit the contents.
--appimage-mount didn't work as it should have since apparently those need to be type 2 appimages.
you might have to extract it, do your changes, then make another appimage after.
docs.appimage.org/user-guide/run-appimages.html#

Jeremiah Hughes
Jeremiah Hughes

I like your style user

Xavier Wood
Xavier Wood

Just use void
use anything but fucking gentoo

Thomas Myers
Thomas Myers

i mean he almost has a point

Jordan Howard
Jordan Howard

Anybody else experiencing a bug with text color in the Breeze Dark theme on kde? Well, I was just fucking around on my system, and found the way to fix it. Go to the plasma System Settings and follow these steps,
1: "Look and Feel" -> Breeze
2: "Plasma Theme" -> Breeze
3: Colors -> Breeze Dark

(Previously: all set to Breeze Dark)
For me, Dolphin previews for plaintext files were unreadable. The font color was off-white, on a text-preview background of white. For a while, I thought Dolphin's text previews were broken in general. But, I confirmed that the text was still there using the "laptop screen trick": tilt the LCD screen back a few degrees, suddenly contrast goes way up... (& eventually as angle increases colors get inverted due to polarization).

I have only noticed people complain about this particular Breeze Dark color bug on Arch and Manjaro, seems relatively new. So the steps I'm listing here should count as a workaround, since normally if you want it across all of KDE, then you set everything to Breeze Dark, right? Or does it make more sense to -not- subdivide themes into normal vs. dark?

Attached: kde-theming.png (26 KB, 450x450)

Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper

Shit didn't work.
Well, OpenSUSE is retard-prove Linux. Even I can't break it completely, but nazis can, fucking faggots. How am I supposed to downgrade?

Adam Scott
Adam Scott

no wait, the text color doesn't stay solved.
It's fine as long as I open Dolphin -while- the light Breeze colors are set.
It's fucked when I switch to dark colors + reopen Dolphin.
..anyway, pic related is the difference I was talking about.

Attached: screen-21-19-05-24-2019a.png (44 KB, 950x820)

Wyatt Jackson
Wyatt Jackson

Fug. They had rip'ems on their website.
No fuckery with Fedora repo was necessary. FUG :C

Attached: FUG.png (9 KB, 182x154)

Julian Hughes
Julian Hughes

last time
Like six months ago when I posted last?

Luke Perez
Luke Perez

# Add local 'pip' to PATH:
# (In your .bashrc, .zshrc etc)
export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/.local/bin/"

complete newbie here can someone please explain what I'm supposed to do? I open bashrc and I'm supposed to paste that line? I installed a pip3 package for --user

Juan Howard
Juan Howard

I renamed the file because I am a brainlet that can't get file semi complex file names correct if I have to type them from memory... I just want to update the CURA resources file with the new hotness that is only supported on windows and Mac, but I'm too cheap to upgrade from Vista. on my OC core2 quad 6600...

Attached: 2019-05-25-000524-1680x1050-scrot.png (195 KB, 1680x1050)

Nathan Long
Nathan Long

Then there must be another chucklefuck still running the same non-LTS version and crying about it.
Try debian netinstall, pretty lightweight and just werks.

Levi Butler
Levi Butler

compiling from source
ever

Attached: 12Untitled.png (236 KB, 341x357)

Daniel Turner
Daniel Turner

most things only take a minute or two. seconds for small packages

Leo Campbell
Leo Campbell

Yes, that's what you're supposed to do.

PATH is a variable that contains a list of directories where your shell looks for programs. The commands that you enter on the command line, e.g. "cd" and "ls", are just the names of executable files that are stored in one of the directories in your PATH. That line adds ~/.local/bin to your PATH, so that you will be able to run programs that you put in that directory from the command line without needing to specify their location within the filesystem.

I don't know why you would need to do that instead of just installing your software to one of the usual places.

Daniel Thompson
Daniel Thompson

being in a hurry for software to install

Alexander Rodriguez
Alexander Rodriguez

oh I see. its just what it says to do here
github.com/dylanaraps/pywal/wiki/Installation

Andrew Sanchez
Andrew Sanchez

some programming languages are widespread because students are taught this or that language in universities because their professors once were students too, who were taught the language because their professors used it, and these professors used it for purely subjective or incidental reasons, like language's marketing success. Academicians always treated languages as crude tools whose differences are unimportant, so more interesting or clearer language couldn't get the recognition it deserved.

Julian Myers
Julian Myers

That pages gives you one set of instructions for a "system wide" install and another for a "user install". The former would not have required this step. It doesn't really matter, though.

Oliver Morgan
Oliver Morgan

im tripping on some lsd and this stupid fucking image legit tripped me the fucked out

Jayden Ramirez
Jayden Ramirez

Huh thats weird. Reinstall firefox and post results

Benjamin Ross
Benjamin Ross

Finally a brain that works here.

Attached: smile.png (162 KB, 500x271)

Alexander Rogers
Alexander Rogers

write "thankks daddy Bdale" and trippy Debian code will come to you

Sebastian Flores
Sebastian Flores

Lisp language family basically never had any more successful project
JS doesn't exist
go back to python faget

Jayden Garcia
Jayden Garcia

What makes a successful project anyway?
How much vc funding it gets, perhaps how many fortune 100s use it daily, or maybe how many stars in github it has? Don't get the criteria in the first place.

Brayden Lee
Brayden Lee

use GIMP, use Inkscape, use Blender

Jonathan Murphy
Jonathan Murphy

gentoo told me not to do the system wide one

Bentley Sanchez
Bentley Sanchez

this: or use windows and don't bother dude
He was just ranting.

Bentley Ortiz
Bentley Ortiz

gentoo once told me to drop my pants and put a sharpie in my boipussy

Levi Cruz
Levi Cruz

It is still a valid question I think.
We know there is an obvious marker of success for proprietary software.
Not so obvious when we talk about free software.

Jason Lopez
Jason Lopez

Doing a libreboot with a RPI. Is this how the 8 leg bios is oriented?

Attached: IMG-20190525-013747.jpg (2.17 MB, 4608x2112)

Parker Carter
Parker Carter

anyone?

David Cooper
David Cooper

on debian

$ unzip /usr/lib/firefox-esr/omni.ja

Luis Campbell
Luis Campbell

Why is the system manager sometimes just unable to close a process?
What do I do when it cant close something

Owen Murphy
Owen Murphy

actually it could be.

Evan Watson
Evan Watson

void does not have this problem

Dylan Cooper
Dylan Cooper

What is THE meme distro that I can be one of the cool nerds online? Is it still arch? Void?

Ethan Brown
Ethan Brown

Guix

Daniel Torres
Daniel Torres

None of you faggots replied so I wrote my own that scrapes the website for the diff

Attached: 1.jpg (36 KB, 348x400)

Isaiah Anderson
Isaiah Anderson

Is gentoo still relevant?

Joshua Watson
Joshua Watson

alpine
desktop

Attached: 1558773377195.gif (1.72 MB, 368x368)

Wyatt Harris
Wyatt Harris

I'm new to linux, is there a little desktop widget thing I can use with xfce that shows stuff like CPU temperature, RAM usage, clock speed, etc?

Joseph Reed
Joseph Reed

can anyone recommend a good download manager? specifically for mega nz links

Jeremiah Robinson
Jeremiah Robinson

GNU/Linux
megatools

Jayden Cox
Jayden Cox

thank you, but not sure if I'm being an idiot here

Attached: Screenshot-from-2019-05-25-21-37-13.png (23 KB, 1228x72)

David Reed
David Reed

megatools provides several mini programs like megadl etc. Type mega[tab]

Eli Nguyen
Eli Nguyen

How would you scrape the quotes from a wikiquote page using cli utilities? For example from en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
And before I do stupid html parsing, does wikiquote provide an API?

Thomas Anderson
Thomas Anderson

You are, read the manual

Luis Rogers
Luis Rogers

okay I'm using it

megadl --path - <file link>

like it says in the manual and I'm still getting "event not found". its a public link

Jack Ross
Jack Ross

Just run $ megadl shit
It's not that hard.

Eli Russell
Eli Russell

still says !ZsQTgQDB?M5ARTayY event not found so apparently it is

Austin Hernandez
Austin Hernandez

event not found
Oh, i think i know ehat's happening. Your link contains an !. You have either to escape it \! or put the link in single quotes 'link'. ! is related to bash history events.

Hunter Murphy
Hunter Murphy

is it common for arch to take a while to load the desktop after the user login? my pc takes more time in a black screen past the login screen than for booting the pc

Cooper Rogers
Cooper Rogers

that makes sense, thank you. I did notice the same but I'm not knowledgable in these things

Jace Nguyen
Jace Nguyen

I prefer megacmd over megatools

Oliver Price
Oliver Price

New thread, new luck.

John Powell
John Powell

thankks daddy Bdale
kek

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit