/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: stallmanpage-sunmidancing-1.4m.webm (1280x720, 2.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldfrom=7d
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox-bin
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice-bin
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium
github.com/topics/clojure?o=desc&s=stars
gnu.org/software/guile/libraries/#apps
github.com/search?l=Common Lisp&o=desc&q=common lisp&s=stars&type=Repositories
stallman.org/
stallman.org/archives/2019-mar-jun.html
dev.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_Linux_run_blazing_fast_(again)_on_Intel_CPUs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the best way to sandbox Firefox?
I don't want Mozilla having access to anything it doesn't need access to on my system.
I was thinking firejail + running it under a different user or a chroot jail.

Attached: 1495575150810.jpg (345x587, 59K)

Been on linux for 2 months now, mainly because i have an incurable itch to get rid of bloat and software and I don't need. I'm on arch now but i'm sick of all these dependencies that shit pulls down for no reason like gtk when it also has qt support.
I'm unironically thinking about using gentoo. I've heard about all its advantages, tell me the bad parts.
Btw ill probably install it on this intel i7 processor so i'm thinking the compilation might not be that big of an issue.

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

> the bad parts
Nothing really apart from the compiles and the bugs that crop up with all of the poor build scripting and code if you do anything less common. None of this is really Gentoo's fault, Gentoo pretty much only helps compensate for it with the ebuilds.

Just try it. Also, i7 is more than is needed for most packages to install comfortably - CPU are faster now than 15 years ago, so apart from bloat browsers and less than a handful of other packages even a Ryzen 2400G or something is usually done compiling and installing a package in a minute or two.

where does Firefox store its GUI's images and animations?

compilation of packages like firefox and chromium take a very long time even if you're using a i7.

as for dependencies, that's more of a hell on gentoo than arch. you run into bullshit about some package requiring that some other package was or wasn't compiled with some use flag all the time. and makes this most annoying is that you end up with package a requiring package b is compiled with USE="foo" but c and d requires USE="-foo".

also be aware that gentoo had a big active nice community around 2005 but these days it's a marginal fringe distribution which is barely improved or updated so you will be own your own.

>tell me the bad parts
There are none.

install Guix System

Not sure about chromium, but firefox takes about 28-33min on my laptop i7-2670QM.

damn if that had been a get i would have done it.

>as for dependencies, that's more of a hell on gentoo than arch
Wat?

> you run into bullshit about some package requiring that some other package was or wasn't compiled with some use flag all the time
It might happen when you're broadly tinkering with all USE flags, but once installed it doesn't happen often. Been doing this for 15 years on over 1000 packages on two machines.

> barely improved or updated
Wat.
packages.gentoo.org/
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldfrom=7d

And so on. And yes, Gentoo's tooling like Portage also gets updates quite frequently, although of course most are some minor improvements, things that have been around for so many years don't need revising everything every second month.

And even this rate of changes to package management tooling and stuff is a blistering fast pace as compared to the usual glacial pace of Debian/Ubuntu and comparable ecosystems most people are in.

how that's a nice attempt at making something which is in reality a joke of a system not practical for anything.

decided to try it out today because they are trying to do some interesting things. did guix pull then guix update and it decided to compile icecat. that's one annoying thing about guix, you never know if it will decide to download packages or compile them.

Now, looking at top, it is apparent that guix has decided to compile icecat with -j1. or no -j option, idk. it's using one thread. Thus, it's going to take all day. or more than a day, we'll see. not sure if I should just abort it right now because it will probably not be done by the time I power off.

even Gentoo's preferable to this bullshit, at least there you can set MAKEOPTS in make.conf. and another advantage is that if you ask on IRC how to set the number of cores to be used on a compile you'd get an answer. it appears nobody in #guix knows so perhaps it's just not supported.

Attached: guix-takes-forever.png (1932x1212, 315K)

Guix provides the best handling of dependencies in the history of *nix, period.

>if you ask on IRC how to set the number of cores to be used on a compile you'd get an answer.
did you ask the devs?

is the community really not that active? i've went and looked at the archives of their mailing list and they seem to be quite active
I definetly want to use something with a decently big community and good documentation as while i can mostly get by myself, ill always still need some online help once in a while

ok i know nothing about guix , redpill me

>ok i know nothing about guix , redpill me
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

i just checked it out, it is one of the GNU approved distros with free software only. While thats great, my wifi card will not work sadly with it and i kinda need it

and jeez-louise, use a Emacs interface, it's how Guix was meant to be used

I don't see how the handling of dependencies is even particularly good.

Actually it just seems *overall* terrible from the most basics of basics up: The description format is fucking Scheme.

The whole Lisp language family basically never had any more successful project other than a second-rate text editor bloated to the size of an operating system in 60 or so years now. Why on earth would you try that again?

Remember to disable dbus, policykit, consolekit, accessibility and udisks and and mask the corresponding packages.
Use the patched gtk3 from the mv overlay which doesn't pull in dbus and mask the one from the Gentoo repo.
If you don't know exactly what every process is doing and why it's running when you look at htop, you're doing something wrong.
If there's a single service on your system that isn't running as a direct consequence of your behest, it shouldn't be running in the first place.

>is the community really not that active?
Look at the links I provided in Is that "barely improved or updated" to you? Because to me it is, and the other user doesn't know what he is talking about.

>a second-rate text editor bloated to the size of an operating system in 60 or so years now.
what are you even doing in this thread?

Attached: download.jpg (1704x2272, 898K)

I fucking hate every single non-asian people who is actually into Kpop, because the vast majority of them are actually disgusting white obese incels who is only into it because they have yellow fever and has to stroke their dick to these animatronic wax dolls while posting "asian women are traditional and best!" memes to escape their miserable pathetic life

Attached: 1406652262820.jpg (393x315, 76K)

>what are you even doing in this thread?
I'm doing what almost everyone else is: Not using any Lisp language family software even for hobby use, never mind professionally.

ok sure, ill read up on those.

yeah damn, that's more than enough activity. I should have guessed though, gentoo seems like the kind of distro that once you use you can't go back to anything simpler.

Okay i'm sold, i'll finish this uni anatomy final and do it, as i'm guessing this isn't the kind of install you can do mindlessly while doing otherthings. At least not if i want to set it up properly

>at least there you can set MAKEOPTS in make.conf
You can change any build options, or indeed anything you want about packages or how they're build on Guix.
-j1 has nothing to do with Guix itself, it's just how the package maintainer decided to set the defaults.

I used GuixSD, but I will wouldn't recommend it for your needs. Of course anons get over excited and they just want to shill what they like to everyone. But I'm not here to fool you. I believe it's more important people know what they're getting.

So here's the bottom line. Guix can technically do what you need, but there is currently no customization options EXPOSED by packages.
What I mean is that the way you modify a package to, say disable GTK, differs from package to package. On Gentoo they have a whole system where the maintainer of the package can expose a flag to enable/disable GTK which is specifically tailored to that specific package, but can be set system wide so you don't have to know the individual nuance of each package.
Guix on the other hand would require you to know how to do it for each package. Sure you can set custom configure/build options en masse using Guix, but there is no guarantee every package does it the same way.

So currently, gentoo is probably your best choice.

packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox
packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox-bin

Nice version jumps. It is barely active indeed.

Well that's simply a failing in your knowledge. That's not Guix's problem.

I'll give you a hint at how wrong you are though. There is literally a feature in guix called build "challenging" where you can challenge a binary build on the repo to verify if it has been tampered with or not.
You cannot do that with any other package manager because builds are never completely identical. On Guix packages are often BITWISE identical even when built on different machines.

>You can change any build options
How?

It's stupidly compiling icecat with -j1 right now. Tell me exactly _how_ I can change that.

> gentoo seems like the kind of distro that once you use you can't go back to anything simpler.
It is really good at what it does and it sure has a lot of long-term users.

IDK if you'll require Gentoo or more complex for all your machines going forward, though.

Seems very possible that you at some point might not care much about exact deps or sauce patches or something else Gentoo makes a bit more convenient. You'll see. But for culling dependencies, it's one of the obvious distros to try.

Some more activity

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice-bin

packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/chromium
>Chromium should be on version 74.0.3729.169
>Gentoo one still on 72
That is quite stale for a rolling release distro.

Sure, I'll tell you how, but there's 2 ways to do it.
So first just tell me are you installing it through Guix (e.g. by using "guix package -i icecat")
Or are you installing it through the full GuixSD system with icecat inside your system configuration file?

On the issue of more recent laptops with Windows 10 preinstalled, I have one bought last year which refuses to accept my Arch installation USB. I've put the .iso file onto the USB with Rufus making sure to check the option for GPT partition table. I've turned off 'secure boot' in the BIOS. But what happens when I try to boot to USB is that 'Secure Boot' is switched back on and a dialog comes up saying that the boot image "cannot be authenticated", which is to say it isn't Windows 10.

How the fuck do people install Linux onto modern laptops which switch BIOS options back on anyway automatically?

I already told you, I did
guix update

based

> Well that's simply a failing in your knowledge
No, I'm quite confident about the Lisp language family nearly not having achieved any somewhat widely used software other than a text editor the size of an OS in 60+ years.

Absurd and pretty hostile (seeing how almost nobody wanted it in 60+ years) choice.

>I'll give you a hint at how wrong you are though. There is literally a feature in guix called build "challenging" where you can challenge a binary build on the repo to verify if it has been tampered with or not.
That doesn't help at all with "handling of dependencies". You're bringing up some completely unrelated minor advantage.

Which doesn't really solve any practical problem that has appeared in the wild anyhow. Sure, they do address making it easier to detect if someone has fucked with the binary building toolchain on a distro's compile box - but this wasn't an actual issue anyone had with any regularity so far, was it?

>sandbox Firefox
What is FF doing this time?

> different user
I'm Switching TTYs like crazy and I'm addicted to it.

1) Have main account where literally nothing is going on.
2) Use main account(of Linux Mint) to create(in the GUI with 1 click) a new user like "shitpostign-user"
3) Press CTRL+ALT+F2 (or whatever) to get a empty TTY
4) login by typing
shitpostign-user
startx

get graphical desktop with web browser ready to go.

5) all applications think this is a new user
6) cookies don't work, Super cookies don't work, tracking does not work, google thinks this is a new computer.
7) Keep all your files on a root folder to exchange or add to your archive.
8) chamod 777 it(root exchange/archive folder) from time to time.

All web browsers think you are on a new computer, no need for VMs.
Privet browsing is for retards.

After you finish shitposting GUI-log out of the shitposting-user account you are in the console still logged in as shitposting-user DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT (!!!) .

Switch to your main account to mark the shitposting-user account to be deleted (I simply change the profile picture to a big red X).

After computer is shut down and restarted in the main account delete all users marked with the big red X.

And all cookies all tracking is forgotten.
Only how can I log out of a console TTY ? If I use exit there is a 20% chance the whole system becomes unresponsive/bricks itself!!!!

Rate me and advise me Jow Forums

Attached: X.png (640x400, 9K)

Hi guise , I have a question regarding midori. When I installed it on my rpi raspbian it had a much nicer appearance, looked like motif or something. Just installed it on my debian testing and it looks like shit (see pic related). How do I disable this horrible gnome 3 decoration bullshit? The windows decoration takes way too much screen space

Attached: 2019-05-24-112457_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 191K)

This is kind of a non-answer to your question, but you should use IceCat if you aren't already. Even if you disable the default addons like librejs, it has about:config tweaks and has removed certain bits like Pocket from regular Firefox.

>Rate me
I don't get you 5/10.
> advise me Jow Forums
Why don't you just use application sandboxes? Firejail or bubblewrap or the IMO too cumbersome but capable systemd-nspawn or whatever. You could even use docker for the same effect regardless if it runs a full VM inside or a namespace container thing.

Plus "tracking does not work" is a stretch if you're still using the same connection.

why? are any of these seem bad to you?
github.com/topics/clojure?o=desc&s=stars
gnu.org/software/guile/libraries/#apps
github.com/search?l=Common Lisp&o=desc&q=common lisp&s=stars&type=Repositories

Then assuming you mean something like "guix package -u" you should uninstall icecat (guix package -r icecat) and then run this:
guix package -e '(begin (use-modules (guix packages) (gnu packages gnuzilla)) (package (inherit icecat) (arguments (append (package-arguments icecat) `(#:make-flags "-jN")))))'
replace -jN with whatever you want

I know it's not the most elegant, but they are adding new options all the time to rewrite package aspects. So I definitely forsee a simple --add-make-flag=-jN option or something similar in the future.
(there's also talk on the mailinglist of creating Gentoo USE-Flag like package arguments)

Some other things you might be interested in knowing:
* When doing an upgrade you can specify packages to not upgrade with the "--do-no-upgrade" flag
* You can check what will be compiled and what will be downloaded with the "--dry-run" option
Combining those 2 options should let you decide if you want to postpone upgrading certain packages which take a long time to build until the build server has one available.

>BITWISE identical binary builds has nothing to do with dependencies
Are you a fucking stupid?

Also keep in mind that the package maintainers may have set -j1 for a reason.
I've heard of bugs that cause that to be necessary sometimes, even when building shit like GTK which is a fucking nightmare.
So don't be surprised if the build fails when you change it.

Retard here, I just installed Manjaro after Antergos decided to close up shop, but is it possible to replace the Manjaro version of the kernel with the regular Linux upstream kernel or is my entire system going to shit itself if I do that?

> are any of these seem bad to you?
They're part of the body of 60+ years (almost all of modern computer history) Lisp that virtually hasn't done anything in terms of producing important software.

You could summarize that as "seems bad" if you want it in brief form, yes.

Nevermind, there's an actual kernel manager in the Manjaro settings where you can install any kernel you want

>virtually hasn't done anything in terms of producing important software
yep, that would be software written in C
but it can be quite brilliant nonetheless. I don't understand your hostility.

Yes, no particularly relation to dependency management. It's just verification of an individual package in the sense of binary reproducibility. Whether the package even has *any* dependencies or not is entirely irrelevant.

And again, not actually a problem we had "in the wild"? I am not aware of any distro build server's toolchain becoming sabotaged to produce altered binaries, never it happening mind multiple times (suggesting you can't easily fix this by just managing a server's security).

did you read this?

user, the reason I said it's a HINT is because I don't want to spend an hour discussing all the superior nuance of Guix dependency management.

If you can't understand why a package built on multiple machines which results in identical binaries bit-for-mother-fucking-bit necessarily implies PERFECT dependency handling then I can see I made the right choice in avoiding having a more technical conversation about it with you.
I doubt you know half of what you think you do.

I'm a clueless newbie so cope with me, but what's the deal with GTK and Qt? Do I have to "commit" to one camp if I don't want to bloat my system? When I try to install a Qt program on Ubuntu it comes with like 50 dependencies and vice-versa.

> yep, that would be software written in C
No, the threshold for a bunch of useful/relevant software isn't only at C.

Lisps fails to be even as relevant with a few handfuls of software as Go, Kotlin or the already dead Visual Basic. It's pretty incredible how little the whole language family has ultimately practically speaking achieved to produce in terms of relevant software in its long life.

You *really* don't understand this "hostility" if someone is trying to push this kind of dangerous failure once again?

>50 dependencies and vice-versa
It's just 2 similar "tookits" that are kind of competing (not sure if "competing" is really the best word for it).

Some devs like one, some like the other. Some make their application with both so the user has the option of which to use.
Ideally you should only need 1, but in practice you might need both if you can't avoid it.

In my opinion though, both kind of suck. They're a bit more bloated then they really have to be, and neither of them lives up to the expectation of being truly "cross-platform" because they try too hard to appear "native" to whichever OS they're running on.
Also, GTK sucks a little bit more because it's developers are world renowned shitheads of the highest degree imaginable. I still use it though because it really dominates the GUI market. GTK is probably 90% and Qt would be something like 10%.

>user, the reason I said it's a HINT is because I don't want to spend an hour discussing all the superior nuance of Guix dependency management.
It wasn't even a hint at anything dependency management related, and nothing about Guix' dependency management seems superior.

> necessarily implies PERFECT dependency handling
It can even imply no dependency handling at all, or dependency handling with no / nearly no features.

You should realize ANY unpatched upstream package doesn't tend to build without its non-optional dependencies anyhow, and the perfection is mainly related to how exactly the dependencies are defined and pulled in [both the necessary and optional ones].

What you have here is only a reproducibly bit-identical build toolchain, which again on top of not being terribly related to good management of dependencies [on that end you just record what EXACT package ids and options you compiled with, what a genius innovation!] actually just solves NO particularly important issue in terms of what has shown up in the wild. It's only closing a more hypothetical security issue related to a possible late detection of someone tinkering with builds on the build server.

> what's the deal with GTK and Qt?
Two different GUI toolkits - the main ones on Linux for most programming languages.

> Do I have to "commit" to one camp if I don't want to bloat my system?
Yes-ish, but you may simply just be forced to bloat your system.

It's not like GTK software is generally bloating your system significantly less than QT or vice versa, so why did you accept that other one? Right, you wanted the GUI!
Guess what happens if you want a GUI software that happens to have used the other thing? Or even possiblyyet another less used GUI lib? Yep, no choice.

I'm honestly not convinced right now that you're not trolling.

What makes you think a package manager that can perfectly reproduce the build toolchain also can't perfectly reproduce the runtime?
That's the HINT I was fucking hoping you'd understand for yourself without me having to spell it out for you.
Because it CAN perfectly reproduce the runtime and all runtime dependencies too.

If that doesn't satisfy you then you're going to have to explain what you think "dependency handling" means (something which you honestly should have done already, and the fact that you haven't explained what you think it means and still claim that my posts are "unrelated" is what makes me think you're trolling)

>just solves NO particularly important issue in terms of what has shown up in the wild
Again that's why it was a fucking HINT. I didn't intend for it to be a full smocking gun argument. I'm assuming you can do a web search and read some shit yourself.
But if you insist on being spoon fed then here you go, read:

>Needs help installing HTML on his website
Is Stallman literally retarded?
It's like he addled his brain with LSD and communism and has lost his ability to use technology created after the 70's

Who are you quoting?

If u arent using arch linux or gentoo kys yourself lmao like stick 2 windows

Redpill me on Clear Linux*
I have been using ubuntu for about 4 months now and i mostly do GIS and development on my computer

Attached: clear_linux.png (200x200, 12K)

That wasn't very friendly.

Richard Matthew Stallman.

>What makes you think a package manager that can perfectly reproduce the build toolchain also can't perfectly reproduce the runtime?
Unzip will do that too. Again, almost entirely unrelated to dependency management. To get reproducible builds, you only need to know which exact unique dependencies and settings were used (super simple to do) and do the build the same way again. And the only issue this then solves is the one I mentioned multiple times already.

This isn't at all indicating good dependency management, which is more related to how fast and reliable and exactly it can resolve mandatory and optional dependencies, and whether they're all exhaustively specified - as in absolutely every optional package in every possible version that works is listed for both necessary and optional dependencies, and every impossible package and version is blacklisted / not included, all checked against all relevant parameters (e.g. even if a compile option or presence of package x or anything else makes package y as optional dependency impossible on package z, it blocks).

Guix doesn't have these things actually specified very well yet from all that I could see.

This might be a stupid question but What is the best way to manage software i have installed from a git repository. Like if i installed something from source, how can i get updated easily if there are new versions of the software and i might want to update my version.
Is this a functionnality i have to learn to use git for?

Is Budgie desktop good yet?

>Unzip will do that too
>Unzip will reproduce the runtime environment
This is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on /fglt/
I'm not even going to read the rest of your post.

In the 1% chance that you're not either a troll or some very unknowledgeable butthurt anti-Guix fag, then I take solace in the fact that if you ever actually type "Guix" into a search engine some day to learn anything at all about it that you'll realize how wrong you are.
And in the case that you don't ever do that I still take solace in the fact that anyone else who has will be able to see through your bullshit.

no

git pull

fuck off troll.

thanks buddy, worked like a charm.
And to think all this time i thought it was complicated and it would be better to use the AUR. I'm going to reconsider some life choices

>that webm in OP
So this is what archlores do with their frankenstein linux.

Anyone familiar with ffmpeg here? I'm trying to record a few hour programming sessions and I pieced together the following:
ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -c:v libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast "/mnt/Storage/$(date +%d_%B_%Y_%H_%M).mkv"

However there's two issues:
* Sometimes when I watch the video closely, I noticed that there's little artifacts going on around letters, any way to reduce those?
* Second bigger issue, sometimes there will be small tearing stripes of my desktop from behind the active window in the video output, how to remedy this?

It does. Take VM, unzip it, same runtime environment. Take binary, unzip it, same binary.

Apart from that, the problem here is the goal post move no matter how well or not well I explain this. It is simply *not* a great dependency management feature.

Reproducible builds are virtually only interesting for toolchain security; it makes it easier to trust a distro's build machine because you can reproduce the build tooling and result. But even this hasn't ever been a pressing problem anywhere.

Is intel venerabilities mitigation included in the kernel of recent releases of distros?

Attached: 1554895964866.jpg (854x1205, 165K)

INSTALL GUIX
DISREGARD THE DIM-WITTED

Attached: Wildebeest.jpg (711x1024, 265K)

I think the latest set of vulnerability mitigations were added to 5.1.2 upstream, whether any earlier versions might have received backport patches is obviously distro specific.

stallman.org/
>I am looking for a few more volunteers to help install new political notes on the site.
what did he mean by this

Attached: anime-girl-with-three-questoinmarks.jpg (309x309, 41K)

>A blog post from 18/5/2018

>"Since Ubuntu 18.04 is a "LTS" release it will be officially supported by "AMD" with the "AMDGPU-PRO" drivers. These drivers are only available directly from AMD and are geared more towards professional applications. You don't need these drivers for gaming. Actually, the "gaming" part is almost identical to the open source driver. "

Regardless of what I can find on the subject I'm forced to use Ubuntu because the open source "AMD" drivers give me a random black screen upon merely just using my computer. The only way I can bypass this is by using "AMDGPU-PRO". When it goes black I cannot use the "TTY" or "SYSRQ", nor a restart. I have to force shut my computer and boot back in again and it will stop working randomly again until I install "AMDGPU-PRO".

These are some of my outputs:

user@desktop:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] (rev 80)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

user@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMDGPU"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

The "xorg log" files give no indication of any problem.

I kind of want to use a better distribution/software so what do I do?

Attached: recherche_facila_aero.png (1980x1020, 50K)

> Please write and submit blog posts for this subsection stallman.org/archives/2019-mar-jun.html
is basically what it means.

I see, Did the performance suffer due to these mitigations?

Attached: 1558091937948.jpg (1800x1199, 450K)

(cont'd)
BTW maybe he'll give you direct access to that part of the site. Imagine how many stories you could link to Jow Forums anime waifu OPs rather than popular news/blog websites.

I think there were mocking comments suggesting it does on Jow Forums, but I haven't verified anything.

What are recommended prefixes for custom commands in Emacs? I know C-c, but there was another one if I'm not mistaken.

Attached: sleepy.jpg (1080x1080, 226K)

>I think there were mocking comments suggesting it does on Jow Forums, but I haven't verified anything.
Is there a way to disable these mitigation?
Without re-compiling the kernel?

Documentation/admin-guide/hw-vuln/mds.rst says yes, you pass mds=off at boot

There was one more, but I didn't read the other vulnerability's docs. Not very relevant to me, eh.

Thanks, I'm not running a server so I don't need those mitigation.

gentoo is doing its thing and I'm off to bed

Attached: IMG_20190524_214901.jpg (3136x1973, 526K)

add mitigations=off to your kernel boot parameters to disable everything.

add mds=off to just disable the mds parts. see
dev.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_Linux_run_blazing_fast_(again)_on_Intel_CPUs
for more individual options.

>Plus "tracking does not work" is a stretch
Connection is dynamic IP can restart rauter to get new IP often to lazy to do so.

geotracking says I'm in a different city then I'm actually am.
I could use VPN if I wanted to obscure my IP geolocation.

>stretch
Or I (IP/rauter) look like a cybercafey or university or public WiFi hotspot etc.
google is really not that obsessed over IPs in this day and age its all about the super cookies.

>application sandboxes
To lazy. I get a new account where everything is tied to the account every application every system bullshit. and on Linux (or Linux mint at least) its super fast to set up it really takes about the amount of time like typing the name of the account and pressing create to get it operational not the windows bullshit.

>Firejail or bubblewrap or the IMO too cumbersome but capable systemd-nspawn or whatever
interesting I look into them thanks for the info.

>I don't get you
TTYs allow you to instantly switch between TTYs by pressing CTRL+ALT+F(key)

Excluding the main control account that I use there are 6 TTYs I can use to accounts and instantly switch between them for different reasons (shitposting, degenerate porn, banking, work).

Oh I almost forgot Jow Forums how can I get more then 7 TTYs in linux (linux mint)?
I want to have all F keys on a TTY.

How can I get more TTYs? since only 7 TTYs start by default.

I want F1 to F12 to be all TTYs so 11 TTYs excluding the main control one.
Word on the street is that linux kernel has 63 TTYs.

Attached: 300px-Steve_jobs_by_rware-d3af4rz.jpg (300x456, 68K)

Doubling the question from previous thread in more condensed form, since I still want to find out if someone encountered the irrelevant partition appearing by itself:
I found some weird partition on my netbook. I only noticed it when started preparing partitions for Linux installation. It was shown as EFI partition in Win disk utility and had all the actions greyed out. It didn't mount in Linux either. All i know about it is that it's empty, has a size of 18.4 Mib and fdisk also shows it as an EFI partition.
I don't know why would it have an EFI partition, because this netbook runs BIOS. But still, Win utility can't delete it for some reason.
So, wtf is this drive and what can I do with it?
Pic related, it's sda4.

Attached: IMG_20190523_223713.jpg (4608x3456, 2.88M)

> IP can restart rauter to get new IP often to lazy to do so.
Yea, and you probably also leak other bits of information allowing tracking. And be it MAC addresses or fingerprintable default settings in your browser or whatever.

>To lazy.
Nah - in particularly firejail but also bubblewrap are usually quite easy.

> interesting I look into them thanks for the info.
Exactly. It should be even easier.

No clue - did you consult your search engine after finding out what stuff is actually contained in that partition?

What's so good about search engines that everyone recommends them over interaction with humans?

>or fingerprintable default settings in your browser or whatever.

> default settings in your browser or whatever.
> default settings

I don't think you get it.
its a different account in linux OS.

Its basically like buying a new computer and for 1 purposes.
Its like starting a VM for only 1 purposes.
Only its not one of them not so costly and system heave.

EVERY setting is in /home/shitpostign-user
Every setting of this user is in
/home/shitpostign-user
EVERY browser configuration file.
EVERY personal configuration file.

And the best thing on Linux mint is that the fonts I install are only in the local home directory so google can feel free to watch this fingerprint however once the session is over this account and all of its configurations -> fingerprints go away.

I recommend you read I deleted because I did fucked up in encapsulating the code in tags and the new one is the corrected one.

I can get totally different ads in different TTYs at the same time and this is enough for me.

> MAC address
Wait since when do browsers transmit MAC address to google?

>that's one annoying thing about guix, you never know if it will decide to download packages or compile them.
"guix weather" shows % of things compiled
"--dry-run" option will show what steps it will take without doing them so you can see specifically what would be done

What you're doing is saying Guix lacks features compared to what you're used to when really you just need to learn how to use Guix.

>anons
>humans
Cute.

Okay so I'm a fucking huge noob, all I've ever done is install Xubuntu and fuck around in the console a tiny bit. How hard would it be to pick up Arch or Gentoo and throw that on my Thinkpad?

also, for the record the build servers are constantly compiling stuff, so if something isn't downloading, it just wasn't built yet. you can wait, you can build it yourself, or you can do a partial upgrade. e.g.
guix package --do-not-upgrade=icecat -u

is your wifi card a socketed mini pci-e card? if so, you can replace it with one that has support from linux-libre.

I started with xubuntu about 10 days ago. Arch was easy, Gentoo is a lot more involved and I'll let you know tomorrow if I fucked up