Let's discuss note taking and productivity

Why are all other Note-taking apps except OneNote so shitty?

>Google Keep
is alright and versatile for personal use but there is no way to effectively organize your stuff

>Evernote
lots of features but also clunky and archaic

>Notion
call itself an all-in-one workspace but doesn't even offer the ability to draw and annotate with a stylus, also complicated to use

meanwhile
>OneNote
intuitive to use, lets me organize my stuff easily, offers an easily editable infinite canvas, lets me but all kinds of different files and formats in one place have them interact with each other

honestly, Microsoft is miles ahead of the competition in this case, how can the others even compete?

Attached: CNHome_Image1_v2.png (1348x1024, 292K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xournalpp/xournalpp
noteanytime.com/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
github.com/xolox/vim-notes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Google wants you searching your own stuff to train their algorithms which is why Keep is crippled.

There's actually a new open source one called Xournal++ with full pen support, but I don't have a stylus so I can't speak to it.

looks like your standard open source crapware

Attached: screenshot.png (643x353, 46K)

That's the old Xournal. You want Xournal++, it's different. Why are you so bad at using search engines?

github.com/xournalpp/xournalpp

is onenote free?

Use mechanical pencil + college ruled loose leaf paper.

Why did samsung remove all the fun features from s note?

Attached: samsung-galaxy-note-101-3g-white.jpg (1280x800, 196K)

>using an app to take notes
Are you too retarded to use a pencil?

>OneNote
I wish MS would port OneNote to Linux.

For me everything except Org Mode feels like a toy.
>able to easily organize notes
>able to insert LaTeX snippets wherever the hell you want
>can make TODOs with progress trackers
>has a great agenda built in
>can make tables with formulas exceeding Excels capabilities
>can export to html, doc or LaTeX easily
>can be used to make slideshows
>ability to write code in lots of languages inline
>ability to execute that code from org mode itself
>can be written in and used very fast if you're used to it
>all while being plain text files for maximum compatibility

Nothing has revolutionized my organization like org mode has, it really is max comfy.

Attached: da1c865f4d7550fe78a27be44d4fa85b405f4ac0.png (278x267, 145K)

There is any real alternative to evernote? Free and open source?

The almost certainly will. Microsoft has been going hard on making their shit compatible with Linux. It sounds fucking crazy now, but I believe their ultimate goal (long term) is to ditch Windows.

gtk apps look disgusting holy fuck im not even trolling
it instantly makes me not want to use it

What about cherrytree?

idk org mode is enough for me

You're clearly trolling. Nobody gets that triggered by a UI toolkit short of MS Bob.

ditch windows will ditch itself kek

I have a physical notebook with thick paper and a good pen for taking notes. Please tell me how it's bad compared to your >20M botnet.

Is your pen open source?

>Imagine not using org-mode

>not using the best note taking medium

Attached: notebook.jpg (960x640, 192K)

nothing will ever surpass paper for note taking without getting into steno

noteanytime.com/en/

>Not using japan-made note taking software

Yes

You can use web version for now

not him but i feel the same about gtk
not because any properties inherent to the interface lib itself, but because i know that any developer who sees no problem with how GNOME and its developers act probably acts the same way
GNOME doesn't even try not to be trash for developers, fucking linus had to use Qt and C++ because gnome's documentation is just that bad

as a byproduct everything made with it is terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0

Basically, you're right. But I went to upgrade computers, or Office versions, and my shit didn't migrate properly.
So I googled "OneNote alternatives" and found CherryTree. It's basically the same shit, but it saves your work in an XML-like documents, so you can easily migrate what you're doing to other installations, or programs.

everyone jumped on the notion bandwagon but its hilarious to me how bad their retention rate is. their users just abandon using that shit its so hilarious to see everyone say how great it is like chris coyer over @codepen i bet he doesnt even use that shit anymore.

note taking is all over the place for me.
snippets on gist, notezilla, google keep, sending myself emails, googledrive, physical files, clipboard history (copyq) there is no one centralized area where i can find everything, because everything is all spread out across everywhere if that makes sense. I can not conform to one program to do everything for me like onenote is supposed to do. chrome bookmarks help i guess

>Why are all other Note-taking apps except OneNote so shitty?
Because OneNote is the only one you've bothered to learn and it was so hard you don't want to try any others.

All, and I mean ALL, of the apps I found on GH were pure trash. Electron or buggy as hell. There are some like typora with some novelty but I can't find anything where the workflow is better than text files inside a folder + git + sublime text (iopens instantly). It's always too cumbersome and instead of taking notes you end it up losing time trying to make categories, tags or whatever that it will actually be useful. And it needs to get so many things right, from how it shows code snippets, to versioning, fast sync, etc. I wish it also embedded images like in a single zip file like office. Not worrying about file paths or image compression ruining text. People from other areas must also have special requirements like formulas, latex, diagrams.
For me notes is the most important app and there isn't anything that good out there, that isn't made for simpletons and that doesn't removes functions "because telemetry". Can't be bloated like Jupyter.
And fuck any SaaS shit desu (outside the sync I mean).
Sorry, I'm a little extreme when talking about note taking apps.

Notetaking: Pencil & Paper (sometimes mini whiteboard)

Productivity: Amphetamines

next topic.

I'm not OP, and I'm a huge freetard. When I started college I used Evernote, but it was dogshit and I think the free version couldn't do what I needed, and I was unwilling to pay because it was shit. I tried some free program, and it was dog shit. Finally tried OneNote and it was kind of amazing how well it worked. The only problems I have with it are that Microsoft's equation system is total dogshit, and I had a hard time converting to and from other formats, even MS formats.

OneNote is also pretty shit though.

Org is great but there are two things missing in it which I would have liked:
MatyType (proprietary). I prefer inserting equations semi graphically and MT's shortcuts are sane and make sense, they don't require remembering what every LaTeX object is called.
Possible solution: Fire up an external equation editor which can output latex and embed its output. Should be pretty simple Emacs integration.
Or maybe I should look again into AucTex
Drawing shit (like in OPs example): I know you can draw stuff in org and even convert it to PNGs with ditaa, but a similar solution to my proposal with MT could also be implemented here.
Besides these two gripes, org is perfect.

>OneNote is the only one you've bothered to learn and it was so hard you don't want to try any others.
This user gets it.

I pretty much forced myself into learning Evernote and had to watch some videos as inspiration on how to use the damn thing.

Still I barely use it (with the free plan). I think I open Evernote, maybe, around 10 times a week.
I think a good linux port would make me use it more.

>users just abandon using that shit
why though? it looks feature-rich, but it does seem like there's something wrong with it. is it too clusterfucky or something?
I feel like my complaints would be the crampedness of it's canvases for notes and stuff, and the feeling like you have all this shit buried in different sections and subsections, and you don't have a solid grasp on your data, on what and where it is

there's nothing to learn in onenote you dipshit
it's simply better

>text+git
what's the best solution for syncing between android and desktop?
markor is based btw, it's almost perfect, just needs a text format and file sort default settings
>zip files and special file formats in general
that's bad and you know it

'Note-taking app' is probably a bit of misleading term to begin with

if you just wanna take some notes, a simple app like Keep will do just fine, if you need to take some notes and organize yourself more efficiently/professionally you can use something like Evernote just fine

but if you actually need the app as an all-in-one workplace for all kinds of different purposes and projects than OneNote seems to be without alternative (as long as Notion doesn't get a canvas and drawing function).

it should be called Workspace app or something rather than just Note-taking because it does way more

Tiddlywiki

Get on my level, fags

github.com/xolox/vim-notes

Attached: 2019-05-02-192835_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 886K)

I like OneNote, I've tried to start using it but just kept writing everything into the default notes app out of habit

based post ITT

I don't think anyone would shed a single tear for NT. I hope it takes NTFS with it.

Real talk can someone recommend me a nice note taking app with a similar featureset to onenote which can also sync across devices? Something that syncs between Linux and android would be nice. Pref open source

You can use emacs aorg mode and then sync it with syncthing. On your phone you can use orgzly

Does it have pen support?

Dropbox for organization word files, word for all the text and pictures, OneNote to grap cropped screenshots to put in the word doc. If OneNote fixes their shitty infinitely expandable document, I'll go back to just that.

Joplin is only way to go

I use Xournal++. I don't really know what kind of features the people here are even on about.
I want to create pages I can write on and write on pdfs. You have all your basic writing and drawing tools. You can put in TeX and pictures.
And organizing and syncing happens with through your file system. AND I certainly don't want to use windows.

What crack everyone else here is smoking I do not know.

notepad and mspaint

They are making windows as a service so now they are here to stay at least for the next 50 years imo

Emacs has something called Artist Mode (integrates with Org Mode), you can draw basic stuff with it. If your pen's input is interpreted as mouse input as well, you can get if for free. Otherwise, you can always draw the images in another program and embed them in the document.

Not free as in freedom

is that gtk2? Looks comfy

Use org-mode.

Nevermind you want to write on the screen lol.

Attached: 1544945621009.jpg (640x427, 46K)

notability on ipad is the best note-taking app i've ever used

How do I sync it to my phone?

What's the point of this?

If I am taking notes then they are actually worth keeping so I don't use any note taking software. I use single user wiki software.

Is there a good one?
I tried Wikidpad, but it's shit.

I tried to transition many times, but nothing beats pen and paper

How has nobody mentioned joplin yet?
Its pretty much the best FOSS note taking software. Standard notes is up there but its not totally free.

we've been having daily threads about people triggered by Windows 10 for years.

is a drawing tablet good if I want to write stuff by hand on the computer? I don't want to spend money on a full blown tablet that I don't need just for this one purpose

this.

>doesn't list xournal
what did he mean by this?

-take notes
-make shapes
-export pdfs
-import pdfs and write all over them
-copy/paste
what more do you want from note-taking software?

I liked sticky notes for windows until the latest update seperated each note into it's own window instead of having it all be one. Why the fuck did they do that.

Attached: stickshit.jpg (2265x646, 124K)

use pen and paper like a sane human being you retard

Because OneNote has been in fucking production for about 15 years
But it's retired now and in about two years, no more security updates.

MS is trying to force users to use the online OneNote, it's even part of Office 2019 now.
Most of the others haven't caught up yet but get an Android Samsung Tablet that supports stylus and just use it since it's superior

>force users to use the online OneNote
I hate this.
>OneNote is now F R E E
>Download
>Plz login to MSN
Fuck the cloud, I want the desktop version back.

>>zip files and special file formats in general
>that's bad and you know it
it's just a zip with images and some txt/xml/whatever inside, no different then using folder
this kind of "format" can be parsed as easily as any other
the problem is when you start using a custom format for metadata and things like that, but once you have image functionality it's always custom in some way, even markdown parsers can choose how to load the image (real path, dsl like path, path from the app's config folder, encoded formats, etc)

install snap and onenote launcher lol

cancer
aids