Are there any e-readers that are libre?

Are there any e-readers that are libre?

Attached: GUEST_2c158100-4a2f-47cc-bb9b-ae45f7104e1e.jpg (488x488, 41K)

Nigger just download an epub to your LineageOS tablet.

Nigger, the universe is libre, when you're a hacker.

Enjoy your eyestrain and inability to read out in the sun.

I don't want to read off a tablet.

don't think so, isn't e-ink trademarked or some shit and why we barely see any chink alternatives to the big one?
kobo might be the best thing we get, provided it still is even a thing after being sold to who knows where.

Some e-readers run android and since they contain an internal SD card for all storage so you could install whatever you want on them (if you can tolerate some driver blobs from freescale)

You will have eyestrain even if you read from paper. There are no studies that show whether or not e-ink is better for your eyes (maybe I'm wrong, tell me).

Attached: IMG_20190524_181806_131.jpg (807x623, 77K)

So are there any ebook readers that don't constantly phone home and don't record and store all of your personal data forever? I love the Kindle but I don't want my social credit score to be lowered because I read a Ben Shapiro or lobsterman book....

Attached: 1557177810846.jpg (680x798, 77K)

Bruh I don't need studies to justify personal experience. E-ink > lcd ez. I'm not OP, but I am also in search of meine Freiheiten.

Reminder that eink sucks hard if you're reading at night

>Ben Shapiro book
Is that just a novelization of his twitter feed or what?

Just wanted to list examples of "unacceptable" content that will get me put on a list. Never read one of his books. I did read the lobsterman book though.

Confirmed for never having used a Kobo with the adjustable color temperature backlight

Has anyone flashed Ochrebook to anKobo?

>So are there any ebook readers that don't constantly phone home and don't record and store all of your personal data forever?
Just disable wifi.
That won't fix the very low contrast.

Which ones have the backlight? Is it just the Aura or do previous models have backlights.

Pretty much any ereader you can buy now has a backlight, but most of them are blueish only.

Maybe some old sony

Yes, but what about the older ones you can install Koreader on?

Those all lack a backlight and are junk

I thought about this too. But then again, it's a dumb device, just take one without a Wifi card and you're set. It's not Libre but who cares.

The big issues is shitty ux , DRM, and different formats.

Is this a problem in current year? I convert things with Calibre to epub and everything seems to work on my Kindle. Thinking of getting a Kobo from Walmart to avoid the Bezos Jew.

The universe is also libre when you're a nigger.

Attached: image.jpg (813x850, 538K)

Do any of those Android e-readers use E-ink?

I've got an old Kobo aura. Do recommend.

By default, none.
If you're willing to put in the extra work, you can just keep devices offline, DeDRM any bought books and transfer them via USB. Still proprietary, but your information isn't going anywhere.
With the Kobo readers you can install a proprietary bootloader (Kobo Start Menu) and use it to launch KOReader (FOSS) or other software.

NOOK GlowLight is Android.

i have a kobo aura 2, from like 2014? it was 45 bucks of kijiji

It's as bad as a book, which isn't that bad at all. You just turn on a light

I have a problem with ebooks where there's always fuckyness with the formatting/display. I've tried every android app with different renderers and now have an actual ereader, there's always problems. Especially when the book tries to be fancy with the opening words/line of a chapter. I've rarely seen that shit work properly. An example from the book I'm reading now is that hyphenated words always triple hyphenate with the word after it. It's always unique but consistent within an individual book so it's not a huge problem but I don't get why it's happening in the first place.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what causes this?

Attached: garfield washed up.jpg (1600x1200, 227K)

Currently the best Android E-readers are both Chink-made. You have the likebook series, with models like the mars and mimas (which is currently the highest-spec e-reader out there) and the Onyx Boox, which also offer similar specs, though slightly lower and with a higher price. Neither one is easy or, as far as I'm aware, possible to root. This is a limitation in all E-reader ROMs. However both of them are android and so allow for VPN solutions like Blokada, which is FOSS, to fully protect your device when online.

Almost every single non-Amazon e-reader doesn't phone home at all and are usually constantly offline unless you specifically request to use the internet, like looking up a term on wikipedia. Android e-readers use the internet as any device, so you can control its access freely.

Awww he looks like a nice fella. I don't appreciate this picture user. Let the guy enjoy his phone.

It's the file. It was improperly converted, probably an older automated process from PDF to some other format like .mobi or .epub. It can also be that your reader is very old and locked down in firmware, so it hasn't been updated in a very long time, as in a few years. But it's much more probably the file. I'd suggest look for whatever it is that you're reading on #bookz or libregen

Arduino+sd reader+e ink display

>This is a limitation in all E-reader ROMs.
You can root the Nook GlowLight. The only downside is that it doesn't have a microSD slot. No idea if there is one internally.

How do you hold it all together?

Unfortunately the e-ink screens you find for sale are tiny and expensive with horrible resolutions.

Some ereaders accept HDMI-in, just connect it to an open sauce SBC and add some buttons

With my hands

Honestly these days I don't have that much eyestrain from reading on a screen, also I instinctively turn the brightness down and enable whatever Blue Light filter or other bullshit that would make it easier on my eyes. I love eink though, it definitely is comfy like a book would be and the battery lasts FOREVER. You can binge read for 4 months, put it down, then return to it 8 months later realizing you forgot to turn the damn thing off.

Idk why reading on screens got comfier these days. i've ended up reading a few books from PDFs on my laptop

The wifi on my kindle has been disabled for years

>e-readers that are libre

Literally books

Patent expired last May.
The reason we've not seen a veritable chinkwave of e-ink devices is because no western company has made anything for the chinese to copy. The market for e-readers and s too small because no one reads anymore.