GNOME Hate General

What kind of bullshit is this, GNOME developers now want distros to stop making custom themes.

stopthemingmy.app/

previous thread:

Attached: amessagefromgnome.png (542x434, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/3
simon.shimmerproject.org/2019/05/19/xfce-4-14pre1-released/
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem
web.archive.org/web/20110816053029/https://plus.google.com/106327083461132854143/posts/SbnL3KaVRtM
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70315
zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-switches-back-to-gnome-3-x-desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm the Director of Engineering at a major software company. When hiring, I always ask the candidates which Linux DE they prefer. If they say Gnome then I immediately know they're a brainlet who can't code, can't handle anything other than a tablet, and would probably fuck the company up with diversity initiatives.

Thank you Gnome for making my hiring decisions easier.

Attached: Linux DEs.jpg (677x1400, 199K)

GitHub issue: github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/3

>1 IP
>3 posts
imagine having a free software project living rent free in your head

FOOT
NIGGERS

Attached: 1531407921409.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

>bickering over desktop environments
I use tiling and non-tiling window managers and I don't act elitist about them, sperg.

>GNOME developers
FUD against systems, now against GNOME?

Attached: Screenshot_20190524-185718_Trebuchet.png (1197x467, 44K)

samefag

>don't act elitist
What, I just switched from normie 3 to DweebWM and I don't get to needlessly antagonize people for deviating from my very specific nichie usecase?

Attached: Screenshot_20190524-204720_Trebuchet.png (1269x372, 212K)

Must suck being a gnome-cuck.

Attached: 1542815834641.gif (710x828, 21K)

Gnome is comfy enough, you don't need themes

Instead of fixing theming, they want to remove it. GNOME devs, everyone.

Attached: dumbwojak.png (1300x2000, 206K)

Day of the foot SOON

Attached: 1548134297173.png (816x684, 489K)

>GNOME Hate General
more like hoes being mad

Attached: ...jpg (500x500, 55K)

Reminder that you literally cannot disable or control the onscreen keyboard in gnome despite it supposedly designed for babby touchscreens

The best programmers I’ve met use macOS or Gnome. They just want to get work done.

IIRC Linus uses GNOME.but I guess, if you only ever have a terminal open, your DE doesn't really matter.

>Linus uses GNOME
no

Attached: torvalds-on-gnome.png (1419x741, 237K)

That's because they don't know better. Baby duck syndrome.
Good at programming =! Good at computing

>wobbly windows
Never knew Linus was that based.

The white man's DE.

Attached: Xfce_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 298K)

if you're not baiting
what do you do if they say a tiling window manager

when was the last time they made an update?

4.14 is predicted for August. Xfce's development pace is very slow, but that's not a problem since it mostly just works.

sometimes, Linus is retarded
but he's spot on here, right down to this:
>I'm using Xfce. I think it's a step down from gnome2, but it's a huge step up from gnome3

GTK2-era GNOME was doing things mostly right. Maybe not perfect, but it was all quite sane and reasonable. I've got no idea how things got so bad.

The worst part is that they're completely right, and this is the reason native Linux applications look so bad. If you have no idea how your application is actually going to look to the user, you CAN'T make it look good. Themes should be application specific, at the very least. Then theme makers ccould make absolutely sure their stylesheet works well with the app in question.

Furthermore, the main issue here is not individual users using custom styles. They know what they're getting into. It's distros shipping their own shitty rice to every single user, forcing developers to design their apps around countless awful stylesheets that users are using by default.

Welcome aboard Mr. Turbo-autist. I know you'll work late nights and weekends making sure your code is as efficient as possible.

Attached: 1556471064763.jpg (1024x457, 68K)

Interesting. I might have heard it in an old gnome2-era interview.

Aren't they changing over to GTK3? If yes, I'm getting ready to press F.

The GTK3 port is practically done. simon.shimmerproject.org/2019/05/19/xfce-4-14pre1-released/

it's copypasta he posts in every thread about gnome. he's a neet with delusions of mediocrity.

GTK3 shitted my LibreOffice scrolling. Fuck GTK and fuck Gnome.

They should move to elementary OS/Pantheon if they don't want to have their apps ruined by custom themes. Pantheon has macOS levels of customization, so they shouldn't worry about customization.

I am using a dark theme for gnome but it is changing the style in firefox for everything. This doens't happen in chrome, but cannot use it. For example, if I open a website with light theme, the dark theme changes the text box, so it's dark which I can't see the text. Real mess. How can I stop this?

>icons that don’t express what the developer intended
>denies the developer the possibility to control their brand
>Just because our apps use GTK that does not mean we’re ok with them being changed from under us.
This is everything gnu.org's philosophy is against, GNOME should change their name to NOME and omit GNU. It was seized by so-called young successful design professionals and now is being completely rewritten according to their tastes and so-called brand philosophy.
GNOME developers' excuse is so-called health of an ecosystem, now read GNU's position concerning this word:
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem

>I'm the Director of Engineering at a major software company
blow me, Director of Engineering

quints of truth

It doesn't explicitly say that "protecting ones brand" isn't a FSF approved goal but it's fair to say it's also not very approved

what date was this?
I read that he tried kde but came back to gnome 3 in the early gnome 3 releases

>what date was this?
2011-07-26

Wasn't easy to find where I got that quite even though I had the google plus link. This shows a blank page and you have to look at the source of it to see the content.
web.archive.org/web/20110816053029/https://plus.google.com/106327083461132854143/posts/SbnL3KaVRtM

Attached: whothehellknows.png (1755x1098, 632K)

There's a Firefox bug that's been open about this for about ten years.

>fud
Stop lying:

>GTK2-era GNOME was doing things mostly right.
mostly because it was not significantly updated between 2005 and 2010.

>bug
It's the expected behavior.

All Linux DE are shit. What use now?

use a WM

KDE

Window Maker is the best desktop ever
and so is Motif

you don't need to use a DE

Nope, this bug is it's 19 years old.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70315
Reported: 2001-02-27

I miss windowmaker.

It's still available in most distros and BSDs. Slackware still includes it on the DVD.

What we really need is a Wayland clone of it, shinied up a bit for the noobs.

I just started using gnome today and its nice. didn't have to worry about setting up a lot of things I usually have to. takes a lot of the tedium out of a new install

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: 9224j7taohb21.png (638x1346, 526K)

>not the first post from this IP
You're not fooling anyone, footfag

What if Gnome is trying to make the Linux desktop dream come true by forcing such a change? Maybe they have to be huge assholes in this case to get everyone to straighten up or fly home, and then they'll sort out the pieces and replace those who don't fall in line. Eventually you'll be able to customize

>wm
Much work for simple things.

Gnome fell for the Tablet touch UI crap. Of course they were also trying to make the Linux tablet dream come true then.

It's a bad idea to appeal to a potential user base at the expense of the current one. Which includes people from other themed distros.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, Red Hat/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Red Hat plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Red Hat system made useful by the Red Hat corelibs, gnomed utilities and vital systemd components comprising a full OS as defined by CIA. Many computer users run a modified version of the Red Hat system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Red Hat which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Red Hat system, developed by the Red Hat Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Red Hat operating system: the whole system is basically Red Hat with Linux added, or Red Hat/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of Red Hat/Linux.

Attached: glows_in_the_dark.jpg (800x626, 165K)

Attached: no-themes.png (1123x822, 48K)

>make what is essentially a desktop theme
>package it and ship it
>"Look mom, I made an operating system!"
No you fucking didn't make an operating system. Maybe stop calling it _gaynamehere_OS and the real devs will stop getting so pissed off. Pic semi-related.

Attached: nickle.jpg (1220x1480, 298K)

Kekd. He should have a gnome hat though.

checked

Attached: we live in a clown world.jpg (2048x2048, 667K)

my other post was

+++ Update +++ GNOME devs ask users to just stop using file pickers instead of complaining about no previews. +++

This. The very last thing I want on computer screen are "brands", it's my computer not yours.

They removed shortcuts from desktop to stop users from using desktop as an app launcher, because they have a better one already in the "activities". I'm dissapointed Linus failed to understand that

>Not using Control+Alt+T for a new terminal window

Attached: pathetic.jpg (2048x2048, 943K)

literally just open settings and bind whatever you want. I can spam open terminals with super + t

Nah, he's back using Gnome.

zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-switches-back-to-gnome-3-x-desktop/

I agree with him actually. As long as you're able to hack Gnome to operate completely differently than it's devs intend, it's pretty decent.

Responded
>Why don't you guys worry about adding thumbnails to the filepicker before worrying about what other people do with your FLOSS software?

>he wrote on the Google+ social network

Attached: 3bbc7719.jpg (400x157, 12K)

I don't need to worry about it because I just use coreutils instead of gooeys.

Nuked already, man that was fast.

>touching gnomeshit after v2.x
bruv...

>74 replies
>42 different IPs
Now tell me that konqifags don't create these kind of threads just to feel like special snowflaked

>reee why do people actually engage in conversations and don't just leave threads after making a single post

>making a thread just to hate on a DE
>just samefagging and spitting memes
>engaging jn concersations
A thread died for this, and even if it was some intel vs amd shit, it was still more meaningful than this pathetic konqifags hideout

They've been doing that for years.

They have a point though if you actually read the thing. Just because distros like Ubuntu ship with their special snowflake theme doesn’t mean the developer of the application should be responsible for fixing shit that particular theme breaks and make sure it looks good even with that theme. They have nothing against users using themes for their stuff, they’re just saying if shit breaks because of your theme it’s your problem. Application developers receiving bug reports because someone creates a new hot GTK theme that breaks stuff in said application is ridiculous.

>ecosystem
Fuck right off.

that makes sense desu

based konqi

>GNOME developers
Again, read the fucking thing

It's the software developers who seem to be annoyed by the themes

>apps
they're called programs GODDAMNIT

Yeah, whether you agree or not, they do have a point. People are completely misunderstanding it.

>A thread died for this
>R: 37 / I: 7 How do you help to cleanse the world from itoddlers?
>R: 50 / I: 11 Computer chairs with real leather
>R: 13 / I: 3 How much ram do I need to lose my virginity?
How will we ever survive?

KDE is not shit. KDE is based, it's the most amazing desktop environment ever made FUCK GNOME

Mac osx has NONE of these problems. Enjoy your poor toys, fags.

That's just because osx is where these footfags want to take us.

Attached: 29347290.jpg (400x400, 17K)

kek

>t. furry degenerate

>Changing an app’s icon denies the developer the possibility to control their brand
Welcome to FLOSS. If you don't like it, you should have trademarked your shit like Mozilla did.

MATE is fine.

WAAAH DON'T THEME OUR UGLY APP THAT BREAKS GTK AND THAT WE REFUSE TO PROVIDE THEMING OPTIONS FOR!!! IT'S MY SOFTWARE NOT YOURS.

Do these retards understand gpl

so he probably is still using gnome, I don't remember where but it was at least after 2012 where he said that

Xfce or Mate.
KDE never, that shit always has bugs and has a function creep with tons of widgets and menus

>do they understand gpl
I think they do better than you, since they maintain some interesting gpl software.
Also their arguments are pretty valid, some themes, especially the ones that come with skinned ubuntus, simply breaks some programs. They stated that they don't want to remove theming ability and they just want distros to stop coming pre-themed. I myself hate pre-themed distros because most of these distros, since I like a fresh start.
tl:dr just do whatever you want if you don't like gnome just use whatever you like because you can install any de/wm on any distro