/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1508978053154.jpg (1349x902, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/opennota/findimagedupes
smarden.org/runit/
github.com/void-linux/void-runit
linuxreviews.org/Linux_5.1.5_released_with_IMPORTANT_Fix_for_Users_of_Encrypted_LVM_volumes_on_SSDs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux#Linux_kernel_criticisms
without-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_linux
islinuxaboutchoice.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Torvalds > Stallman

Is there a convenient way to sign PDFs using free software?

when I first saw pics of Stallman I thought he might have a manly voice, being a grown, intelligent speaker of ideology. it was quite shocking to see that he sounds like a whiny nerd

maybe if he wasn't such a soiboy cuck

Attached: CoC'd.jpg (640x427, 20K)

Get out.

This is the future you choose.

Attached: 1516729737569.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

They work in two different domain tho. On what basis do you compare them?

what the fug, I'm using icekot and suddenly I can't install add-ons for some reason
did jewzilla fucked up something again?

Ideology, attitude towards what is right, wrong and sensible when it comes to foss

Wait, that wasn't GIMP'd?

>mentally ill thread

Attached: the state of linux.jpg (600x510, 56K)

Torvalds has no ideology. He's a developer, not a thinker. He hasn't figured out the purpose of the gpl to this day. Comparing Torvalds to Stallman on this topic is retarded.

How do you actually use findimagedupes?
I've scanned a folder, and it output some files, but how teh fuck do i use it to get rid of dupes?

I have the following, with WinXP installed on it, and want to put a GNU/Linux distro on it instead,

>ASUS EEE 900SD
>CPU: 800MHz Celeron M Single Core
>RAM: 512MB
>VRAM: Shared UMA
>Int. Storage: 8GB SSD
>Ext. Storage: SD-HC Slot

It seems the low RAM and slow processor are dashing my hopes of installing Ubuntu 19. What other low resource distro is there that has a nice DE that this can run? With WinXP it can't handle flash in browsers or HD video. It can play a shit load of old games, but I don't play games anymore so fuck that. I just want to use it to listen to audio files and do minor browsing of the internet.

I can VM any distro I want, to test the layout/DE, but god damn there's just so many of them to choose from and I really don't have that kind of time.

I've got a question about virtualization. I have a headless server running Debian stable. I'd like to run a VM on the server for services which I don't fully trust to be secure and have to be exposed to the general internet. I also want to firewall this VM in such a way that it has access to the internet but not to my LAN, unless it's an incoming connection to one of those services it is running. Basically I should be able to SSH into the VM and reach a couple of things running inside from my LAN and the internet, but things inside the VM shouldn't be able to initiate communication with my LAN. I guess I want some sort of NAT/firewall running on the host to restrict what the guest can get to.

What would /fglt/ recommend I use to set up a VM and those sorts of restrictions? I was looking into KVM and hoping I could use some iptables rules to restrict the VM's network access, but I'm still confused about the network types in KVM. Is this the right approach, or should I use/do something completely different?

Make it output to an external program like eye of gnome, gwenview, etc. There you compare the set of files one at a time, and delete the dupes. Then when done you close the viewer and it should open up again with the next set.
Used to find dupes that way, now I just use geeqie.

Attached: scaled_Screenshot_2017-08-13_13-31-36.png (1024x576, 282K)

>install Ubuntu 18.04
>install and use xfce
>can't open synaptic for some reason
>can't open gufw for some reason

I have no idea why.

mentlely lel thread

Attached: .gif (749x632, 2.84M)

Is there like a package mega pack I can download for Debian? I need a network manager but when I boot up a live disk and dl the dependencies they just keep adding up

cont.

I can open both in terminal, by the way.

is it common for arch to take a while to load the desktop after the user login? my pc takes more time in a black screen past the login screen than for booting the pc

Now it wants shit that doesn't even exists so I really need it

Don't do Ubuntu 19, do Ubuntu 18.04, the latest LTS.

Get the ubuntu mini iso, it gives you absolutely nothing but a tty and barebones ubuntu. It's guaranteed to install. Then install whatever minimal DE you like, and a simple browser like falkon.

For the DE, install icewm for a basic DE, or if you want even more barebones and don't mind a learning curve you can go keyboard focussed and even more minimalist and install i3. There's a massive community of autists for i3 so plenty of help.

It's not piping to feh
>geeqie
It never works, every time i open a picture its just a single solid color. Does this for all file types

What's findimagedupes?
Are you not talking about "fdupes"? It comes with flags to specify if you want files to be deleted and which copies to preserve (or even to prompt you to select one).

>What's findimagedupes?
gitlab.com/opennota/findimagedupes

How usable is the current version of Guix?

That's relative of course.
I've been using it and I find I can make it do anything I want to. Including installing proprietary stuff and running 3rd party binaries (like games). So for me it's perfectly "usable".
But I'd be lying if I said it was never frustrating to get something working, or a challenge, and not everyone would consider that "usable".

What's actually going on when you kill -STOP a process? Is its memory written to disk or something?

Is there a way to install proprietary graphics drivers like for nvida on there? Need my cuda shits.

nixos

did you do the full path to feh? had to do that if i remember correctly.

>Is there a way
Yes of course, you can make it do anything. It just depends on how easy it is.
If I were using an nvidia card I'm absolutely sure I'd have a package for proprietary nvidia drivers right now that I could even share with you and anyone else who wanted it. But I'm not using nvidia so I'd have no way to test it.
Until someone else makes one you'd have to do it yourself.

Is Mint still bad?

Okay, information noted down. Thank you, user!

no, all sigstop does it 'pauses' a process, that is, the process is not given any cpu time until the process is resumed (sigcont[inue])

Just installed Fedora. Wondering if I should switch to Xorg first before installing my Nvidia GPU drivers.

I'm curios. Can you convert OpenSUSE to Fedora? Will zypper do the needful when I type dup?

So, systemd or sysvinit?
Should I automate the process by making a script, so I can reinstall everything easily every time something shits itself?

I unironically want to use self-built GNU/Linux as daily driver.

Attached: images (7).jpg (281x179, 12K)

It's shit.

And yeah, can someone make a logo for me? I need a logo.

runit is literally the best init system currently in existence
>Should I automate the process by making a script, so I can reinstall everything easily every time something shits itself?
Use guix for that

smarden.org/runit/
github.com/void-linux/void-runit

GNU Shepherd

Just installed Ubuntu, two questions:
can I remove the stuff like the calculator, etc? I'm not touching system apps.

Regarding games that don't have a direct linux port - can I just copy the data over? I'd just prefer to use an external HDD with 1tb of games on it if possible instead of having do download them all over again.

I will check this.
Isn't runit known for shitting itself?
>guix
>>GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, and Enlightenment are available (see Desktop Services), as well as a number of X11 window managers. However, KDE is currently missing.
I need my KDE. With my own scrips, it is easy.

Should have checked the minimal install option if it was available. Know some spins have that which removes a lot of the superfluous packages. Hard dependencies will probably remove the DE if you try to uninstall that stuff now.

I literally just installed it so can do it again - I remember abut a year ago trying it on a yoga and it wouldn't install the linux drivers for wifi for some reason but that was with broadcom adapter.
I'll try the minimal install, thanks

Looking for something similar like qubes. Is there some os similar?

Attached: images.png (310x163, 2K)

>Isn't runit known for shitting itself?
Um, no? Void hasn't broken for me once in years.

LibreOffice
>They broke scrolling in last versions
>No mascot was elected
>Got bloated

OpenOffice CHAD
>Scrolling still works
>No mascot - no problem
>Not as bloated as LibreOffice

libre office:
active
open office:
discontinued

LibreOffice:
doesn't work
OpenOffice:
works.

Also, it is not discontinued for some reason.

Why is there so much hate towards gentoo?

A little help with mutt?

I seem to have deleted the sent file from my home directory, now I can't send mail.

Is there a quick way I can fix this that you can guys tell me without having to read documentation for one hour?

This one's actually rather important to some:

linuxreviews.org/Linux_5.1.5_released_with_IMPORTANT_Fix_for_Users_of_Encrypted_LVM_volumes_on_SSDs

Do care if you are
>using dm-crypt
>and LVM
>on a SSD
>on a 5.1 series kernel
if you are using that particular setup - upgrade to 5.1.5 or downgrade to 5.0.x. Everyone else: It doesn't matter.

Nevermind, turns out this file is generated automatically and mutt was conflicting because I created a directory called sent because I was trying out suckless' sent.

Is that GTK3 to blame?

Attached: yes-2019-05-25_15.57.59.webm (1366x768, 994K)

Just did a libreboot on my x200, Arch, Gentoo or Debian 9.9?

you're a meme

You're all retarded.

Just use WPS Office.

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Attached: 1558577515486.jpg (1024x429, 80K)

should I ask this here?
how do I apply pic related? I've never messed directly with bytes and hex so I have no idea how to search for 0x448988 and change it to 0x40240000
help?

Attached: cursed webm maker.png (1400x180, 38K)

>proprietary software over free
Nice one Cheng.

Many people ask "why all the hate against Linux?", "is Linux-hate a meme or is there something reasonable behind it?", "is it true that Linux does not follow the unix philosophy?", "is Linux bloated?", "is the code too complex to audit for security?"
Let's break it down.

Linux is:
- developed by asshole developers
>Most people are absolutely terrified of mailing the list lest they get flamed for their inexperience, an inappropriate bug report, being stupid or whatever. ... I think the kernel developers at large haven't got the faintest idea just how big the problems in userspace are.
- bloated as fuck
>The kernel is huge and bloated, and our icache footprint is scary. I mean, there is no question about that. And whenever we add a new feature, it only gets worse.
- too complex
>Linus Torvalds stated that Linux has become "too complex" and he was concerned that developers would not be able to find their way through the software anymore. He complained that even subsystems have become very complex and he told the publication that he is "afraid of the day" when there will be an error that "cannot be evaluated anymore."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux#Linux_kernel_criticisms
without-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_linux

>- developed by asshole developers
The end user does not ever see this
>- bloated as fuck
A kernel built with "Y for all options is less then 5 mb compressed.
>- too complex
End user never see this

Imagine being so angry that you set up a website. islinuxaboutchoice.com

Does somebody use herbstluftwm?
How to show battery info in their pane?

Panel* of course

Which distro should I get if I want something bloated, user hostile and doesn't work out of the box?

suse

Debian.
It works OOB

Unironically Arch.

>i disagree with people literally developing the kernel
OK kid

>i only agree with 3 of thousands of people that contribute to Linux
OK KId.

What is the best distro?

see

It's funny how arch is only bloated and unstable when you can't install it. And when you can install it there's no bloat or problems at all. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Linux sucks.

lincucks btfo

based and redpilled

Fuck off lunduke.

for years their mantra was 'arch is minimal' and arch users would repeat this ad nauseam, but when it came time to adopt systemd instead of maintaining udev and offering an alternative system like gentoo did the arch devs reneged on that community mantra and turned it into 'w-well it's minimal for the maintainers'

not gonna use dos

If systemd wasn't the default I'd install it.

>yfw yet another package update for kernel and have to reboot both proxmox machines again

Attached: 1470082585270.jpg (540x495, 31K)

What's wrong with systemd?

Which of the following is more stable: KDE, or GNOME? Barring all other points between the two.

Attached: 1557510369227.png (490x750, 508K)

>updating his packages ever
unless it's security fixes there's no real benefit

Kinda want to switch to xubuntu
Don't really feel like downloading and installing it on my system
Can I just install xfce and uninstall gnome easily?
Because I've had issues with gnome throwing a shitfit before and I'm not sure how to cleanly get rid of it

Attached: 1544934596699.png (1024x1004, 1.01M)

use a window manager

What is the most efficient DWM mode?

KDE

what's dwm mode?

yes you can
>cleanly
not sure about that

the devs know it can be better, but that doesn't mean it's worse than the alternatives

Is anyone familiar with nohup, disown etc? I have a script that starts a vpn and creates tun0, it then needs to add some routes, but it can't add them as tun0 doesn't exist yet. I have tried making the route adding a seperate script being called by the first, but no amount of fucking with exiting the first in different ways is successful

>tfw kinda want to do a clean reinstall of an 18 month old debian system but there are so many tiny little tweaks I've made I can't remember them all and will have to figure out how to do them all over again

How to list all non-pacman packages?