If mac is just linux, does that mean is actually better than windows?

if mac is just linux, does that mean is actually better than windows?

Attached: 1540525139644.jpg (603x991, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NextBSD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mac is not linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1433636249392.jpg (750x563, 63K)

Mac is not GNU/Linux

It is better than windows.
If keyboards didn't blow and brew wasn't shit then it'd be great

Mac is a device.
Linux is a kernel.

mac is unix based
GNU/linux is not even unix based , it's just a piece software that is entirely different but works the exact same. It's a free alternative to unix that happened to get insanely good.
This is the reason GNU stands for GNU is not unix

what makes it different

no

Attached: 1558744698687.png (1440x1648, 2.07M)

>if mac is just linux
it's bsd not linux

>not even unix based
>is entirely different but works the exact same

Distros using the Linux kernel for the most part are intended to follow some of the same design principles that Unix systems like OSX and FreeBSD apply but they aren't actually related to them and while Linux distros look like a Unix system the similarities are only superficial. Most if not all software has to be recompiled to be run on different Unix-like systems.

I thought their OSX or whatever was built from BSD?

The OS is better than Windows. It took a long road for me to realize, but yes: Linux > Mac > Windows.

Attached: ASS.png (640x480, 56K)

OSX's software comes from many sources. It's officially a derivative of NeXTSTEP which is a derivative of 4.3BSD which itself is a derivative of UNIX System V. The kernel which was developed for NeXTSTEP is based on a Mach Microkernel design. A lot of the userland utilities and daemons are taken from FreeBSD. There's also some stuff that was developed in-house.

So it's BSD still.

It's definitely a BSD, it has absolutely no relation to Linux but I think it has or had some GNU components in there. At the very least the compiler toolchain was probably GCC until LLVM became a thing.

Does MacOS improve anything in BSD and have its commit taken upstream to other BSD forks?

Despite the similar names BSDs mostly aren't very closely related so when one improves something in the kernel layer its often very difficult to port it to the others. There was an idea a while back to create a FreeBSD derivative with OSX's init daemon(launchd) and related backend stuff but it stalled out almost immediately and has been dead for like 4 years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NextBSD

It doesn't use the Linux kernel.

I was already thinking the kernel was almost out of the question. But say anything userland, device drivers, etc?

Anything in the userland is potentially portable with just a simple recompile as long as it doesn't rely on kernel APIs. If it uses kernel APIs then those APIs have to be implemented first. With monolithic kernels the device drivers are a part of the kernel so it's usually as difficult to port them between different kernels as any other kernel level code. OSX doesn't really have a lot of device drivers that would be worth the effort. I would argue that it makes more sense for Apple to port their proprietary software to FreeBSD and drop the NeXTSTEP base instead.

No and yes.