/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: compile-kernel.jpg (962x908, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.die.net/man/1/rsync
github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/4c37048d6dd7b8f65481c8c86ef8cede2e782bb3/usr/src/cmd/yes.c
github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/Research-PDP7-Snapshot-Development/LICENSE
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
youtube.com/watch?v=jOYqXlsgo78
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Despite Antergos being discontinued, is there any reason it can't be installed for the forseeable future using the last iso? six months from now it'll still install, then you can just update everything and it would be exactly the same. maybe I'm not understanding the point of "iso refreshes" for rolling distros

Antergos was just Arch Linux with some packages on top. The last update to Antergos is a meta package which removes those and turns it into plain Arch Linux. And you can always just uninstall the Antergos-specific package if that last update (or all updates) becomes unavailable 2 years from now. I see no reason why that installer can't be used to install Arch.

Does the old radeon driver still get performance upgrades/fixes or is AMD only focusing on the amdgpu/amdgpu-pro driver?

sup Jow Forumsentoomen

looking to move away from arch to something else rolling release/bleeding edge. I don't mind systemd, have to use it at work anyway.
what would you guys recommend?

How do I make the clock on my computer make a *ding* sound every hour?

User-level systemd timer with OnCalendar=hourly, the corresponding oneshot service could be something like ffplay -nodisp ~/.local/share/ding.wav.

Also, is it correct that the free version of RHEL is free for its entire lifespan or is there a 30 day trial limit? According to distrowatch's recent review, they say it's 30 days but it might not be the free version.

>distrowatch's
Stopped reading there.

Deleted this because fuck it I'll do fresh installs.

Since you read that far into the post, what is the answer to the question?

>maybe I'm not understanding the point of "iso refreshes" for rolling distros
support for newer hardware is a major point, especially disk and network drivers which may be necessary for installation

Don't know. Don't think ibm will be knocking down your door if it were just a 30 day trial regardless.

I had to do some work on binary files (save files for a game) yesterday.
The situation with hex editing on GNU/Linux is major fucked. Bless fucking crashed. Ghex was shit.
hexedit (the terminal thing) sucked ass (but mostly worked)
diff'ing is annoying and shit af. vbindiff has another ass interface.

new to linux just installed arch. so firefox is super slow so im building chrome from the aur. how can i remove firefox and other files?

lol never thought I would need this.

pacman -Rsc firefox
if you also want to get rid of your profiles;
rm ~/.mozilla -rf

I have to ask, did you install any graphics drivers?

>yay -Syu
>5.1.5-1 is out
>spend 30 minutes compiling it
>5.1.5-2 is out
ffff

no i should probbaly look into that before assuming the problem is firefox.

Pop! OS vs Fedora Gnome Wayland
Tried both Fedora seems more bleeding edge and Wayland is the future which works better with every month.
This is for laptops only mind you.
What is your take?

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 with Wayland, and the session dies/crashes repeatedly sending me back to GDM.
It's getting there, I remember earlier Wayland versions were even worse.
I also tried 19.04 briefly and it was good. 19.10 should be perfect.

Arch, Debian or Gentoo

>new to linux just installed arch.
Every damn time.

what's the best portage gui? I already know how to completely use portage but I miss using graphical package managers

I didn't have any problems like that with Fedora, they put more work into Wayland since it's their flagship. You should give it a go. Right now I'm testing Pop but I will probably go back to Fedora.

okay im installing intel graphics video package. another thing is two touch scrolling on touchpad makes it where hte mouse delays occasional when trying to move horizontally. do you know how disable this in the libinput?

I've been trying to figure out how to implement this for 2 hours now, all the links I'm finding say to do different things. Mind helping out? I got hourlyding.timer and hourlyding.service.

timer is
[Unit]
Description=Hourly ding timer

[Timer]
OnCalendar=hourly
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

service is
[Unit]
Description=Prints the date every minute

[Service]
ExecStart=ffplay -nodisp /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/service-login.oga

Ubuntu, openSUSE, Manjaro or you aew autistic

woops, desription on service is supposed to be: ding every hour

how ironic

What's that supposed to mean? The question was very simple.

Is there some simple command line program which would allow me to convert pdf file into text?
something like
cat poop.pdf

pdftotext

pandoc

pdftotext (part of poppler)

thanks, turns out pdftotext is already present on my distro and it works great

I'd like to make a script to auto concante using ffmpeg,videos that were recorded that day. But due to not having this script i have a sizable backlog of videos that need to be merged.
They all share the following filename format
%ID_%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S_%3N where id is a generated name.
How can i have a fire and forget it script that will find the videos based on id and then date, and then create a concat file and have ffmpeg concatenate the list?
I've got the ffmpeg down, but struggling on how to do an entire folder at once

okay i figured this out i linked the xf86 synaptics conf file because i was actually able to disable vertical and horizontal two finger scrolling using that so the mouse dont stick anymore. no longer using libinput one.

>Users may receive an error citing circular dependencies due to gpm and ncurses. If this is the case, add -gpm to sys-libs/ncurses and update the @world set once more.
>add -gpm to sys-libs/ncurses
what does this mean? add a file -gpm to the folder?

install gentoo

disable it by adding -gpm to your global flags in your make.conf

too late
thank you

when i build a pkg i put directory in /usr/local/bin then it put the binary in /usr/bin for me.

where does normally store directorys for working binary files? if you build a package from say arch linux aur how do i update that package or find out if its up to date in future?

Noob question.

I have bagina.txt and .benis.txt, rm *.txt will only delete bagina.txt. How to include the hidden benis.txt?

I forgot to mention, I don't usually make small changes like that global but I'm pretty sure I will never use gpm and I'm sure you won't either unless you're always using a tty

>crouching bagina, hidden benis

yeah if it solves my issue and I'm never using it anyway I don't see why not. only time I use tty is when changing/borking my DE/WM. I'm still very new to linux, let alone gentoo, but learning a lot atm. thanks for the help

RM {.,}*.txt

Attached: 1537714068460_0.jpg (524x700, 50K)

It's "rm" actually, sorry for phoneposting

if you need to delete everything in a directory, it's usually a better idea to just delete the directory (and recreate it id necessary)
be careful not to force rm to delete '.' or '..'

That's why i'm asking.
Is this safe, also when using -rf?

considering "ls -a {.,}*" (gnu ls) doesn't list the . or .. entries, it's probably file

Are copy/paste file transfers more reliable than on windows? Like doing multiple TB in thunar from one drive to another.

It is. Moreover ".*.txt" doesn't match "."

rsync baby. learn it, love it.

i don't think thunar does anything special but rsync automatically resumes where it left off if it gets interrupted and you run the command again
linux.die.net/man/1/rsync

Thanks!

I use it, I'm just curious. Also rsync still takes foreba when I sync the 10TB I use with my various backups.

this, definately use rsync for huge transfers
or at least use rsync if you use another method, but it gets interrupted
thing about rsync is that it syncs plain folders, doesn't require anything special about them or the transfer, so you can 'resume' a broken copy with rsync, even if you didn't use rsync in the first place

Trying to change the trackpoint and touchpad settings on my X230, which of these files am I meant to edit?
I'm noob as fuck when it comes to linux, never really had to make changes to settings that didn't involve a GUI menu.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-27_20-56-53.png (837x348, 12K)

-- oh, it's also good to get the hang of it for it's more unique uses, like updating a backup, or doing network transfers

Not in thunar, ouch.
Run rsync inside screen.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Senryuu Shoujo - 08 [720p]_00:04:35_02.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

How much data can a variable hold?
Is something like x="$(curl site.domain/file.ext)" reliable or should i use a temp file?

yes | pv > /dev/null

post em

4.25GiB/s on my laptop with anime playing PM me for stats when not playing anime.

Attached: Kd8yxNZ.jpg (593x745, 277K)

% dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null status=progress
13303889920 bytes (13 GB, 12 GiB) copied, 10 s, 1.3 GB/s^C
i have an emerge -j2 running in the background

3.09GiB/s
compiling something atm

$ yes | pv > /dev/null
^C77GiB 0:00:10 [ 281MiB/s] [ ]
$ busybox yes | pv > /dev/null
^C.5MiB 0:00:10 [4.14MiB/s] [ ]

Quick, someone compile this github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/4c37048d6dd7b8f65481c8c86ef8cede2e782bb3/usr/src/cmd/yes.c and do it's the 1979 original unix yes

>emerge -j2
>using dd with 512 byte blocks

jesus christ

Attached: painthuff.jpg (480x270, 15K)

github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/Research-PDP7-Snapshot-Development/LICENSE

114MiB/s versus gnu yes on my machine atm's 3.11GiB/s

> gcc -o yes yes.c 2>/dev/null
> ./yes | pv > /dev/null
^C48MiB 0:00:06 [ 124MiB/s] [ ]
> yes | pv > /dev/null
^C.5GiB 0:00:07 [3.22GiB/s] [ ]

hey i had this issue i posted up here remove the libinput one and use the 70 synaptics conf. make sure its linked to original file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d then edit it using wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics all the options here.

Fixed that for you.

Attached: 1558937198848.jpg (962x908, 609K)

would unironically use that terminal but it crashes constantly for me

is btrfs raid56 safe yet?
friend wants to make a nas sometime in the not too far off future, and i'm not really sure what the best option is atm
zfs? inflexible, can't just add a new disk
btrfs? raid56 has been questionable
btrfs over mdadm? can this handle bitrot?
bcachefs? not mainlined yet, is this stable/usable?

unironically install gentoo

I've got a spreadsheet in Libre Office Calc to keep track of my TV shows. Is there any way to have it automatically sort by column B first, then column A? So far I've been doing it manually every time before I save it.

Thanks user, but how do I check if the files are linked?

No.
Use ext4(alot of small files) or xfs(alot of large files)
btrfs is a persistent ALPHA status software. The devs have publicly stated that they dont know how things work and why things didnt work in their own code

---> INSTALL GUIX

Attached: Mentok the mind reader.gif (500x333, 378K)

xfs looks nice, but can it be shrunk?
why are there so many nice filesystems for linux that all have one thing which ruins them?

>The devs have publicly stated that they dont know how things work and why things didnt work in their own code
there are better options like ZFS.

>add a new disk
I don't think you understand how it works, there are no disks.

No it cannot.Read the xfs docs

zfr is solaris meme bullshit

>I don't think you understand how it works, there are no disks.
exactly, i can't say, make a 4 disk raidz1 and add a disk to make it a 5 disk raidz1, since you can't add disks to vdevs, only vdevs to pools, so afaik, the minimum upgrade to a 4 disk raidz1 is to add another 3 disk raidz1 vdev

>zfr is solaris meme bullshit
wow, zfs = destroed.
great attitude, you'll have a great understanding of computing with it.
And by the way, it's not a solaris project for more than a decade.

well it should show up as a different color in your terminal then just a plain text file.

you can link it like

# ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf
[/code

>not a solaris project
When what niggas created it then faggot?
Dont mean shit if 90% of the code base is solaris garbage
Fucking retard
There is no reason to use zfs, even in enterprise applications, ext4/xfs cover eveything you need

pandas

Thanks

take that dick out of your mouth and repeat what you tried to say.

Amber! Now that was a terminal color!

Attached: 1545158320523.png (376x341, 103K)

Eben Moglen more like EBIN Moglen

Attached: 1557975342130.png (499x338, 38K)

better hide behind your anime pics

Terminals went pretty much downhill compared to the possibilities back in the day. youtube.com/watch?v=jOYqXlsgo78

>that ghosting

Attached: 1517646189482.gif (200x200, 2.47M)

>reading forums from 8 years ago where people are optimistically talking about btrfs no longer being a testing fs

Can anyone help me out with Wine? I'm running Linux Mint x64 19.1 Tessa.
I'm on staging and today upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9, and some of my games broke. I have found instructions on uninstalling to downgrade wine, but i am unable to locate a wine staging 4.8 install to i can use.

please help? i think i saw source on wine's github but i know nothing of building from source.