If you haven't yet trashed these by now, I feel sorry for you

If you haven't yet trashed these by now, I feel sorry for you.

Attached: 1528238875877.jpg (297x300, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Trashing working ones these days is dumb, especially since you can actually sell them now, unlike years ago.

Who cares if they work. They are inferior tech.

I'm glad I hoarded them in my storage over the past decades. People pay over 100 euros for shitty 17 inch Diamontrons and I have literally dozens upon dozens. Not even mentioning the high end and professional CRTs I have. Fucking Trinitrons and PVMs I've sold for 600-1500 euros that I picked up 8 years ago for literally nothing.

>They are inferior tech.
This depends entirely from the use case, there's certain media that will always be better on a CRT, meaning anything but a CRT would be inferior for it.
If you can't even see that or are just inexperienced with this topic, you shouldn't post about things you don't' know.

I remember having a shitty old CRT in the early 2000...
it was horrible

Using 4 of them side-by-side right now. Fite me.

Pics or it didn't happen, user.

I still have a samsung 755dfx in storage faggot.

The real reason why these will become more valuable over time is they are needed as movie props and often a movie company needs a row of identical ones not just ones from random brands.

Literally the only metric by which LCDs are superior is size.

I'm and that's true. I've rented out several CRTs and old computers in general for studios as movie props in the past.

LCDs are not the only flat screen technology.
There is no definitive "superior", depends on the use case.

Interesting point. I remember from school and visiting various government offices, there seemed to be a lot of variety in computer equipment, different makes and models, of different ages. I think an office type environment on film would more real that way.

Unless it was a shithole, it was usually specific models in bunches, this holds up to even today.

I'm not allowed to trash them, municipal won't take it. I have a few in my house and I'm trying to think of how to get rid of them.

>It works
>trash it
This is a major point of society that needs to change. A working CRT can still be used for many things at very little cost. Think as a garage TV, basically a monitor with the PC or antenna connections elsewhere. In areas where theft may happen this is perfect to leave out. People do this with old smart phones as well. Not knowing you can download offline maps and use the always enabled GPS to use as a map. Not to mention even deactivated phones can still dial 911 in the United States by law. So you can have an older charged phone in the glove compartment that you never have to pay for.

Attached: ATI-All-in-Wonder 128.jpg (400x222, 25K)

I suppose it was kind of a shithole. These days there is definitely more uniformity. I think back then it was breakages and budget issues.

it's comfy, nobody cares if they are inferior or not fkn nerd. imagine saying nobody should use candles because lightbulbs are superior, like dude people aren't trying to get the most OPTIMAL LIGHT POSSIBLE they just want it to look pretty.

idk, i didn't care too much about screen quality. when i think of these i think of usin a computer with my friends in the mid/late 00s lookin at newgrounds, they bring back good memories

based

also somebody 1v1 me on melee rn

Let's say for value sake what a CRT is worth.
>CRT monitor $free
>Raspberry Pi $35
>HDMI to VGA with sound out adapter $10
>Cheap ass PC speakers $5 or free
>SD card $10
>Game controller $10
or
>TV antenna $20
>digital box with channel changer $20

Now you have an emulation station for older games, PC to surf the web, PC that can connect to your network and stream moves to the cheap box. Or you have a TV location on the cheap. Idea is you can make anything with these old CRTs in neighborhoods or outdoors without giving a shit if someone is going to take the CRT itself.

Why would you use a Pi for emulation? Specially with a HDMI to VGA adapter, not the RGB addon?
If you're going to use a VGA CRT, get a small PC with VGA.
If you're going to get a high end TV CRT, get a Wii or small PC with soft15khz.

Will be even cheaper bought used, plus use a proper controller, cheap 10 dollar chink shit is unbearable.

Well I was going low power, low cost in case of weather conditions, over use or stolen and a more open to configurations than a propitiatory system.
I understand where you are coming from though. Get it done right the first time. Sometimes they dont have the full funds to do so or are just testing an idea and dont wish to fully invest into it on the first try.

There are entire store houses filled with these because nobody wants to bother dismantling the death circuitry and less people know how.

Attached: file.png (1024x683, 919K)

I just think that some 30 yuro shitbox with VGA and a multi core CPU from 10 years ago with more RAM than a Pi also would be more beneficial even on the budget, the power usage will be higher but so will the quality.
Since you won't have to buy addon boards / adapters like with the Pi.

They have been sitting in a warehouse, there's no death in that circuitry.
Recycling centers happily dismantle them anyways plus at some places you don't even have to pay since they are e-waste.

If the warehouse argument was true though, I wouldn't be able to sell them for ridiculous prices or get asked for movie props so often. Unless they are literally standing there and rotting away.

> Exploding tube
> Circuit can store over 20k volts for years in models without charge drains.

Don't fry your ass trying to service your CRTs user

>not putting a lcd on the case

nobody gives a fuck about your gay opinions, you rampant fucking pedophile.

let him die. the only way he'll learn the magic behind how a tv works is when a many thousands of volts is travelling up their arm. bonus points if it stops the heart.

Not to boast, but I've probably serviced more CRTs than the birthdays you've had.
What I was saying is that if they are in a warehouse, unpowered for years, they won't have much charge left and recyclers are professionals who are trained to handle dismantling CRTs.

Plus the flyback voltage depends on the size of the tube and if it's a VGA CRT or just a TV, anywhere from 10kV to 30kV.

>t-that's not true! they are good for *insert obscure reason*
Time to let go.

I've been young and dumb once, I used to dismantle flybacks for the sole purpose of messing around with them.
I've even gotten 50kV out of a flyback and had it zap my finger several times because I was not cautious or took precautions, the only damage (luckily) was a slightly burnt finger.

my father drilled it into my brain as a kid that messing around with internals of a tv is insta-death. i'd sit with him while he repaired our home televisions with new components, try and help, and he'd always remind me what was harmful/deadly even while powered off for a long time. i've been paranoid ever since, even with LED panels that run off 25w that i know are mostly safe outside the psu sections. kek.

I had a Viewsonic 17-inch, was it worth anything? Kinda miss it but I needed the space.

Attached: crt.jpg (500x562, 42K)

>tfw I got an F520

Attached: 1529245228778.jpg (560x577, 226K)

explain a use case that is better on CRT than modern tech displays

Resolutions lower than native

They're better for games. Probably better for working with photos and videos too.

What the fuck you're right they sell for good money apparently

Mine has some permanent markers on it (not on the screen), how the fuck do i get it off

As far as CRTs go, FW900 is pure shit though. It's the meme of the CRT meme.

Pretty much the same but by my older brother. I've always been cautious when dealing with CRTs. The flyback thing was my own stupidity though, it wasn't even in a CRT but had its own driver circuitry I made.

CRT is evil.

Attached: 1558827558062.jpg (500x254, 16K)

Basically:

Better for old/low resolution games, games that require CRT dithering, games specially made with CRTs in mind. Plus all kinds of video media, from low resolution with no better sources, unless you want to AI upscale it, which might not even give you as good of results as just a CRT.

Obviously for other kinds of media, there are flatpanels that bear CRTs in pretty much every way.
That's why you use the tool for the job and don't shitpost that there is one definitive way for everything.

IPA?

based retard

I have a 1080 ti, is there any way to use a CRT in it without fucking up the signal? I already use one dp to VGA, hdmi to VGA and then the iGPU from my CPU with native VGA and they all look like shit since they are low/mid end LCDs.
I might get an HD 2450 or something like that to upgrade to ryzen, so it will have one VGA on it.
Will I have to just configure the monitor for a few minutes or will I need some kind of adapter?

Why would you?
Yes there are HDMI/DP to VGA that can do +60Hz and even FreeSync, not the best solution though, still adds latency.

That's the thing. Latency and fucked up scaling or vertical syn or whatever the ctr has. The 1080 ti I have right now needs active conversion, so I guess I need the old gpu I mentioned or the iGPU native VGA. And even then I'm sure I will get a fucked up image.

What is IPA

I was talking about sharpie permanent markings

Don't bother. Nobody cares unless it's on the screen.

modern screens are unusable for any analog input due to the input latency. do you expect me to use a fucking projector or something?

Yes lets totally trash perfectly working compents to add to the crazy amounts of electronic waste in dumps. Great idea bro. [spoiler] It's not [/spoiler]

It's white supremacist slogans though

I used that screen during a particularly vocal phase in my early/mid teens

Can't sell the darng thing like that lel

>tfw got a 21 inch trinitron for free earlier this year but something about the contrast is borked and I don't know how to fix it

I mean what I mentioned would work, but unless you're being a tard and wanting to use it for modern, everyday content, the 1080 Ti is overkill. Just get a older GPU with an actual RAMDAC and VGA out and use the CRT for the things it shines the most.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Try rubbing alcohol