RIP the personal computer 2000-2010...

RIP the personal computer 2000-2010. Everyone bought one in 2000 because of "that new internet thing" and then stopped using them in 2010 because they could do it on their phones and tablets. 10 years... what a short lifespan for such a revolutionary product.

Attached: 1557892880977.jpg (3000x2000, 3.11M)

>> someone who doesnt have a job

I dare you to write a doctoral thesis or professional accounting or HR software from your phone.

I said personal computer, not work computer.

>then stopped using them in 2010 because they could do it on their phones and tablets

right they can stop pretending they're doing anything productive with their machines and treat them as proper portable dopamine doses

actually you could make a different but similar argument concerning video games, remember the fight stick they used to sell for games like street fighter and mortal kombat? well most people don;t know what the hell that is anymore and wouldn't be able to effectively use a fight stick when all they've ever known is a controller.
I suspect mobile vs pc could go down that same path. where mobile users are so good at using them they would be confused to have to use a pc.

>he doesn't work remotely
also they're still huge for vidya. I don't think it's bad that's a niche thing, what does a normie need a desktop for. And I wouldn't even say the PC died, it just evolved. A smartphone is literally a personal computer. The only thing that changed is the form factor.

when i read OP i realized i had nothing to contribute.
i still don't.
but then i glanced mechwarrior 2 on that monitor and wanted to say that it makes me happy to see. beautiful.

Back to your containment board manchild.

I wish normies would have never gotten into tech like they did. Smartphones were a mistake. Social media was a mistake.

I know a bunch of normies who don't game and have "no real need" for a desktop but still use them because they're good for daily use.
Laptops have shit ergos, displays, keyboards etc. They're loud, slow and run hot.
Phones need charging constantly, lack of hardware keyboards, OS is a pain to use if you're not a turbo normie.

You put a box under a desk or behind the TV, connect a nice keyboard and mouse and you got a top tier shitposting, casual gaymen or movie machine.

Now the phones are the personal computer. Once those desktop option efforts finally mature it'll be better than before without those ugly ass space waster cases.

Nah, phones will always have tiny, shitty screens and terrible methods of data entry.

For $10k:
What is a PC?

Your phone is PC too, unless yours is iToys.

>RIP the personal computer 2000-2010.
Man, if I've ever seen a zoomer.

Attached: 1558956411705.gif (248x253, 860K)

Most people I know have laptops mate. But obviously desktop PCs are still used in offices, or for gaming, or for workstations. You're a fucking idiot.

Pic related, my laptop.

Attached: macbook pro early 2015.jpg (1000x1000, 124K)

Y'know I was a bit surprised that things like Microsoft's Continuum and Samsung's DeX - where you plug your phone into a display and it basically becomes a desktop - didn't take off a bit more. The concept is pretty cool. But I guess, at the end of the day, a basic laptop or desktop doesn't cost that much money, and will be way more powerful for desktop uses. And the Continuum / DeX hardware itself costs money.

Maybe in the future, when phones are even more powerful, things like Continuum and DeX will be more compelling, like how laptops have replaced desktops for many consumers. Or maybe not - maybe instead we'll just have improved wireless connections from phones to bigger screens like computers and TVs, so that you can access phone content on your computer or TV seamlessly and easily. Obviously we have that now to some extent, but it could definitely be better.

Attached: microsoft windows phone continuum.jpg (1600x1194, 236K)

I agree the new iMac G4 IS a revolutionary product and it's built for the new revolutionary OS X

Then what the fuck am I posting from right now?

a chromebook

you can get a second hand laptop for

>maybe instead we'll just have improved wireless connections from phones to bigger screens like computers and TVs, so that you can access phone content on your computer or TV seamlessly and easily. Obviously we have that now to some extent, but it could definitely be better.
would want to plug your phone in to charge anyway
might as well just make it so you plug your phone into your monitor via usb, for power and video

That's a Power Mac G4 you fucking moron.

Yeah, that's why I said "at the end of the day, a basic laptop or desktop doesn't cost that much money, and will be way more powerful for desktop uses".

>would want to plug your phone in to charge anyway
Wireless charging is pretty popular these days so I don't think that's true. Many people seem to be happy to sacrifice faster charging speeds for the ease of just putting your phone down and not using a cable. Personally my phone has no wireless charging, and also I think I would rather have quicker speeds for the low effort of plugging in a cable, but wireless charging is pretty popular with many people, and saving the effort of plugging in can be compelling for busy people who just want everything to be easier.

>might as well just make it so you plug your phone into your monitor via usb, for power and video
Well that's basically what Microsoft's Continuum and Samsung DeX are. Continuum is basically dead now though since Windows Phone 10 is dead, and while DeX looks pretty cool, I don't think it's extremely popular.

Better wireless connections between phones and other devices can be compelling though. Microsoft released the "Your Phone" app for Windows 10 a few months ago which allows you to send/receive texts on your PC (with an Android phone, that is) and instantly see and transfer your Android photos onto your PC. So that's pretty cool. And I hope we see more stuff like that.

no its not liar i will kill u

>Wireless charging is pretty popular these days so I don't think that's true.
wireless charging is horrendously inefficient, i hope it doesn't catch on

-- besides, there are just as easy ways to plop a phone down to charge without going wireless

Attached: 2-PCS-Digital-Cordless-Phone-KX-TG9331T-Home-Wireless-Base-Station-Cordless-Fixed-Telephone-For-Offi (800x800, 71K)

They should just combine hdmi with USB, and then treat the monitor as a USB hub.

It seems to be popular with some people. My brother has a wireless charger for his iPhone X I believe. It's convenient, isn't it. Like I say my phone doesn't even have it, and even if it did, I would probably still plug in the cable to get faster charging, but who knows, maybe I would use wireless charging sometimes because it's cool and it's less effort.

Either way, my point was about the idea that wireless connections (for data) between phones and computers or TVs will hopefully get better. I guess they have got pretty good in recent years, with things like AirPlay and Chromecast for TVs, and Continuity on Mac, and "Your Phone" on Windows. But AirPlay, for instance, is only just starting to be built into TVs, and only very expensive ones. So hopefully in time that will be better. And you shouldn't need to buy a Chromecast - Google should get the TV manufacturers to implement a streaming protocol straight into the TVs, like Apple are doing with AirPlay.

Thunderbolt 3 can basically do that already can't it. But yeah Samsung DeX is probably the closest thing to what you're describing that is currently active (since Windows Phone 10, and by extension Continuum, is basically dead at this point).

already exists as part of the usb-c standard, usb-c can be switched to hdmi mode

Fightsticks died out because they cost more than brand new ryzen CPU. Not to mention hitbox (or keyboard if you will) is superior to it in every way.

Also fighting games were always niche.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 147K)