Trying to decide if I like tiling WMs or not

Trying to decide if I like tiling WMs or not.

Mostly I want to focus on the new window and don't care if it hides others. And if I do want it tiled I can tile it in a second with the keybaord on a vanilla gnome installation. But that doesn't happen all two often.

What are your thoughts on this?

Attached: one.png (1675x1049, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EO1Obko6mwQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The same. Tiling WMs are just unnecessary ever since the big DEs implemented their own simple tiling which is good enough for the vast majority of tasks.

Tiling windows is for autistic.

Attached: e33ph2d5dcj21.png (1024x576, 734K)

I think the same, floating windows are fine or better, since often you don't want to see both windows at the same time, we're not octopus. If anything sometimes drag things from one window to another and that's it

Tiling is a meme. Install openbox or windowmaker.

>Mostly I want to focus on the new window and don't care if it hides others.
then you should install dwm

is this mate?

any mouse based config for sway? I want to use wayland it's so fucking smooth baby
for_window [class="[.]*"] floating enable

Attached: fug.gif (480x288, 413K)

try olt-tabbing out of a window in this environment

You could do that on i3. I never used sway though.
You're fucked if you want Wayland + no bloat + not keyboard centered/tiled shit. Wayland haters need not comment.

It'll make the new window prominent _without_ hiding the other windows but rather it would "miss-shape" them. Which might not be what I want - I want the new one taking center stage and the old ones partly hidden until I summon them.

ah, it has a layout with center main window, but idk about hiding them partly

Tiling WMs are nice if you tend to arrange your windows next to one another anyway. But if you configure them to use gaps you're a retard.

>fsdg compliant
That's real neat. Have they applied to the FSF for endorsement yet? Can't find them on the non-GNU libre distro page.

for me, the best thing about tiling (i3 in specific) is how it handles windows
when I use xfce, I use the split function a lot, but it's hard to resize or drag them around, and switching windows is done by recent, not by the window left/right/etc of it
the idea behind tiling is having windows split in tiles on screen or screens, which require these things, and they should be intuitive, which they actually are. you know a window left of the active window can be gone to by going left
i3 in specific has support for tiling, tabbing, stacking (which is tabbing vertically), floating (which is "stacking" or default in DEs. moving between floating is also done on recent, but all others make sense. you can greatly decrease movement time by being smart with these, even nesting them inside eachother. this is more simple than searching the right one in your system tray

I figured this out when I kept trying out different tiling WMs, they all had a floating mode and overrides because certain applications would break when forced into a small window, and every guide recommended you keep some normal DE around like xfce or lxde around as a fallback.
Not to mention, stuff like bspwm, sxhkd, etc. don't have fall-back configurations installed by default, so you end up with a blank screen upon first install in debian, and you have to effectively trial and error your way through every fucking thing, I wasted the better part of a week falling for the tiling WM scam.

Attached: umaru :(.jpg (480x480, 24K)

herbstluftwm is great. its a manual tiling wm that uses frames so u have full control of where each window goes. and inside each frame u can tile full frame, all vertical, all horizontal, and all grid. also pseudo tile is in the bottom right. the floating mode is comfy too.

Attached: hlwm-example.png (1366x768, 47K)

A lot of programs, I just use in fullscreen. But It happens at least a few times a day that I have to copy/move something, view a reference, and so on. And every time that happens in a non-tiling wm, I have to struggle against the window manager, moving windows, resizing windows, changing focus, resizing again because they were overlapping etc etc.
I also never had any use for floating windows, so a tiling wm is a natural choice for me.

it clearly is coffee, retard. pic related is mate

Attached: Propiedades-nutricionales-de-la-Yerba-Mate.jpg (1920x1080, 91K)

i pretty much just use dwm in monocle mode except for the 5th tag which is where my terminals reside

youtube.com/watch?v=EO1Obko6mwQ

pretty much this. Tiling is great, and DWM brings some ridiculous stuff to the table by default, but for my average everyday use, I just need as little screen taken by my window manager while still being useful.

If I'm doing some really intensive terminal shit, I'll drop down to TTY2, but besides that...

Attached: 2019-05-29-161425_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 119K)

That's basically what dwm's monocle mode does. It only shows one fullscreen window and let's you cycle through them.
I wouldn't really recommend dwm though. Take a look at other WMs with dwm-style tiling like Awesome.

heres a webm example. u can also save a frame layout and keybind it. u can see the frames when i turn on their borders and how floating mode looks.

Attached: grab.webm (1280x800, 2.86M)

For me tiling isn't about making a window occupy a certain part of the screen (as in "tile it in a second with the keyboard on a vanilla gnome installation"). It's about structurizing all open windows. Working with >3 floating windows is a pain for me.
>set up 2 or 3 windows side by side for a task
>need to bring up some documentation or something for a moment but would like to keep it open below the main task so that I get reminded of it when I close the main task
>go back to the main task
>now need to refocus every window that I had there
>whenever you add or remove window from the layout, you need to resize manually the remaining windows
i3 handles that perfectly with tabs/stacks and fullscreen focus (since you can make fullscreen any container, not just single windows). Well, almost perfectly because while it does pretty much what I'd like it to do, it does it terribly. It's pretty inconsistent in behaviour.

Tiling is useful for programming and the likes, but a meme for nearly all else.
If you want tiling, use a dynamic window manager.

Wayland sucks balls i don't know why it even exists.
Imagine working for 20 years to then throw it all into the trash.
>my security
suck my balls

i'd bet on it being kde

Biggest meme of all time. zoom enhance hackerman core

>wayland

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

*breathes*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: b8.jpg (404x404, 83K)

sick wallpaper- any chance you'd be so kind as to share?

I hate them all, except for BSPWM which made sense to me for some reason.
I still use BSPWM and Window Maker only.

Attached: 1558987140153.png (698x1160, 470K)

>bspwm
based