Stop using lossy image compression

Stop using lossy image compression.
>b-but I'm saving literal MEGABYTES!
We're in the terabyte age, boomer. To have images in their original quality is far more important these days than saving insignificant amounts of space on your hard drive.

Attached: angry homer.jpg (834x768, 76K)

>rants about lossy image compression
>posts jpg
i'm with ya tho

Who are you quoting? Saged btw.

Go take a picture with your phone and convert it to PNG and tell me how big it got.

the picture should be taken in a lossless format in the first place, taking a lossy image and converting it to lossless is pointless, if you can't create the image in a lossless format just keep the original

he used the quotes properly dipshit.

>hard-drive space
It's about bandwidth usage; we might be in the age of terabytes, but many western providers still cap the fuck out of their customers, and uploading a few hundred PNGs isn't feasible if you want to make sure you have the bandwidth left to download shit.

The camera is digital so it'll suck ass no matter what.

>le who are you quoting remark
Bumped btw.

The irony is that all those people archiving the (unironic form) of lossy images no longer exist and don't share their "le epic 4meme archives' with anyone because they're all dead. I've been asking for r9k screencaps, etc from 2008-2011 era for years, nobody has anything.

Attached: grrrrrr.png (1668x1536, 1.08M)

>tfw western country but no data cap
>download and seed 50GB bluray remuxes every day
feelsgoodman

F you pngquant is great for caps and there's no point in 3dpd.png

pngquant is lossy

Attached: homo.png (1668x1536, 438K)

because r9k was (ironically) a /b/ repost board at that time and the real shit was still going down on /b/, it didn't really get a "culture" until /s4s/ became a thing and /b/ was well fucked

b-but my mobile internet has 3gb limit...

Attached: 1492186608576.png (673x490, 374K)

>The camera is digital so it'll suck ass no matter what.
What can you even do about that?

I hope one day we will get a rule of maximum file size 500 kb, opening big images is a pain.

>he needs lossless caps

It had its unique 'gentleman poster' style by 2010, and was already known as the split soc/misogyny board. The point is, very few people really archived any of this material back then - or if they did, they're gone now. There was an official r9k archive in 2010, heinessen - but that's long gone and I think most of that was lost.

Then stop using bullshit grandma tracking device botnet garbage and use a real computer with real internet.

>*proceeds to post lossy images*
put your money where your mouth is.

Attached: 3e21b5afe9738db3db0ab4f5ce3cb8d6429cb932ab36d0492a1f7925edf22c9c.png (1024x1024, 268K)

reported
I do jpegs because they just werkz

Attached: 1557935665033.jpg (1920x1200, 516K)

> 500kb
> big image
You don't even need a fast residential connection for that.

Attached: stockphoto.jpg (612x493, 32K)

is this the true power of jpeg?

>I do jpegs
lol well, you think you do

Attached: yousuck.jpg (1920x1200, 311K)

did you run out of things to argue about, so now you're arguing about fucking image compression

It goes in that direction. Don't have anything to really illustrate the true power of JPEG right now.

anyway, even though I prefer losseless formats there are some cases where it isn't beneficial to use them over .jpg, at least that's the case with png. I remember seeing other lossless formats with minimal sizes but I can't remember their names, and Jow Forums isn't compatible with them anyway.

Attached: Cowboy Bebop 03 BDRip [Lat_Cast_Jap + Sub Esp] (1440 x 1080_x264) por camus10x (00:22:34.562) 0005.p (1440x1080, 1.22M)

that looks fucking terrible, like you printed and rescanned the image

By taking the analoguepill of course.

Attached: Cowboy Bebop 03 BDRip [Lat_Cast_Jap + Sub Esp] (1440 x 1080_x264) por camus10x (00:22:34.jpg (1440x1080, 118K)

PNG is fine if you make the background actually solid

Attached: PNGworks.png (1440x1080, 80K)

oh wait, how do you do that?

open up any decent image editor, get the paintbucket, set tolerance extremely low, click

depends on the image.
family and friends: compressed 640x480 jpeg
peta jensen's vulva: uncompressed 24-bit bitmap

Just ran through tinyPNG, it's not indistinguishable from but it's about on par with but way smaller

Attached: PNGworks (1).png (1440x1080, 25K)

This. The best image file format is raw - that is, zero bloat from a file structure or bureaucracy, with the data contained inside being simple RGBA pairs of pixel values starting from the top left of the image, going in rows to the bottom right.

There were "incel" posters on Jow Forums from the beginning, you newfag. That board only became popularly knows as the robot board (not talking about THE robot that is) when all the normalfags left leaving robot posters.

Almost this but unironically
For lossless compression, make file formats as basic as possible, and compress those basic formats with general purpose compressors.

just recreate them in html

You're very quick to accuse someone of being a newfag. I didn't say there weren't any "incel" posters there from the beginning. I'm a Wizard myself, from r9k and was there at the time. I mention soc because as I recall it, it was a combination of neets\"incels" (I appreciate that you put this in quotes) and "soc" type normalfags.

>To have images in their original quality is far more important these days than saving insignificant amounts of space on your hard drive.
>all optimized PNGs in this thread are lossy optimized
Really makes you think.

I do not need 1GB+ SCAN folders, TYVM.

Jow Forums doesn't let you upload raw images unfortunately.

taking a picture is inherently lossy

how is it important at all?