Claims to be simple

>claims to be simple
>requires the user to type hundreds of commands just to install

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (1024x1024, 60K)

>thinks simple = easy
wow, gtfo out of Jow Forums, come back after you know the difference between simple and easy

It takes about 10 min to set up. The only parts which might be challenging if you've never done them are setting up the partitions and boot loader.

silence, arch user

I can't, it's part of my blood contract.

enjoy pacman breaking your xorg.conf again , and install gentoo

>>thinks simple = easy
it actually is you brain dead mongoloid, do me a favor and check a fucking dictionary.
The main difference between those two words is that one is refereed to an object and the other to a task

>this house is easistic
>this math problem is simple

the first example easistic doesn't even exists because we use simplistic the second example our phrase would have another meaning and refer to the actual expression of the problem rather than the difficulty.

install gentoo

Install gentoo, at least we're upfront about what you're heading into.
All other distro shills just lie , we tell it like it is

this is literally just ubuntu with some scripts to install from the terminal without extracting the squashfs

neck yourself brainlet, it's 10 at most for a basic setup

simple
/ˈsJmp(ə)l/

plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation.
"a simple white blouse"

so i did, do your research first, brainlet

just to make it clear it's "simple in design" vs "simple to use", in order to be "simple to use" usually shit has to be "complex in design"

have sex

use antergos, arcolinux, anarchy, archlabs, etc.
there's no reason not to have a graphical installer

>install once
>yay -Syuu, if you want to get the updates
>no need even to upgrade the distro
get out

>"Keep it simple, stupid"
>linux
>systemd
>AUR
so i guess the target userbase is pseuds and placebo autists?

>post definition
>still thinks arch is simple
the cognitive dissonance is deep in you

Moving a brick one meter by yourself is simple. Moving a bilion bricks the same way is simple too, but not easy

they are easy for the user

Simple doesn't only mean simple to use.

Watch:
"I want to play a computer game!"

I give you a stone tablet, a chisel, and a rock to hit it with. I tell you to use it to design modern mining, transportation, manufacturing, then design a computer, programming language, compiler, OS, and finally make yourself a game.

The stone tablet, chisel, and stone hammer are simple. The task ahead of you is rather complex.

Compared to the stone tablet, chisel, and stone hammer, all the modern infrastructure that leads you to be able to install a game in one click with Steam is insanely complex. Having all that complexity behind you makes the task of playing a computer game rather simple, though.

* Arch is simple as the stone tablet. i.e., it's not very good.

i thought it was just a meme

Attached: scrot.png (886x134, 28K)

that's a play of words.
the criteria that defines simple stays equal but not the one that referees to easy.
moving a billion bricks one meter by your self is not a simple task

Arch is simple, install gentoo
basically, fuck all Arch users who think they're "advanced', or just arch users in general and fuck you too

Liking Arch is a meme. Everyone is just pretending so newfags end up installing a garbage distro.

Mint, Ubuntu > Arch
Convenient > Simple

Gentoo > Arch
Efficient > Simple

Ubuntu, Fedora > Arch
Reliable > Simple

Attached: udindu user.jpg (1024x860, 103K)

Simple is euphemism for bare-bones, I learned it the hard way.
If someone on Jow Forums describe something as simple, be it an OS, a programming language, an utility program, get away from it because it won't get you any job done.

I had Arch installed at my desktop PC at one point now I run Gentoo because it's better in every way. This is not about Arch being difficult (it's not, if you cannot figure out the install you are a brainlet) but about it being needlessly cumbersome with no payoff at the end.

>>requires the user to type hundreds of commands just to install
You need whatever exercise you can get,fatty.

It is simple. Simple in the same way that old car engines are simple. It's complex in the amount of simple parts it has, but each part can be understood individually and reconstructed in such a way that, given enough time investment, you'll come out the other end with a working car and working knowledge of your car.

>needlessly cumbersome
like USE flags?
does Gentoo also read your mind and write your configs for you?

yes

REMINDER TO FORMAT YOUR DISK(S) USING GPARTED
INSTEAD OF DOING IT LIKE A SPERG WITH PARTED
CUTS DOWN ON THE BULLSHIT REAL QUICK

Yes.

As we can see from pic related, it takes hundreds (also known as ten) of commands to get a functioning install.
This process takes several hours (also known as couple of minutes).

From this, it's safe to say Arch is very hard (otherwise known as super mc fucking easy) to install.

Attached: 1558283883848.png (250x316, 3K)

hehe
you forgot to generate locale

Attached: scrot-2019-05-30-2210.png (1280x800, 270K)

>"hundreds"
>sync clock
>partition drives
>pacstrap
>set locale
>install bootloader
>set up networking
>done
l m a o imagine being this massive of a brainlet

Just thought about it, if you're using EFISTUBs, you don't need a boot partition, right?

>functioning install
Anything that doesn't count toward making the os bootable should count as post-installation
That includes time zone and locale settings.

But if you want to go down the route that making Arch actually usable counts as installation then
>hehe you forgot to install vim or nano or emacs
>hehe you forgot to install tmux/screen
>hehe you forgot to install bash/zsh
>hehe you forgot to install Xorg and i3/bspwm or whatever
>hehe you forgot to install xterm/rxvt
>hehe you forgot to install firefox
>hehe you forgot to CONFIG and RICE all this shit INDIVIDUALLY.
>hehe you forgot to brag about it on Jow Forums desktop threads.

gentoo has the best docs. way better then arch anytime im having an issue or want to learn about something i look at gentoo documentation.

>hundreds of commands to install
>4-6+ lines to partition depending on how many drives you have
>2 lines for languages and locale
>1 line for fstab
>1 pacstrap
>2 for grub
>1 for network manager
>1 for sudoers
>2 for root password and username
>1 for hostname
>1 to reboot
It's not even 20 lines

Attached: disgusted chris.png (723x699, 438K)

>OR uncomplicated

Arch is about as simple as it gets you simpleton. Things can be complicated and simple as the same time. Arch is simple in that it comes with a package manager, a text editor and some kernel majiggies that help with memory and processes. It's a simple OS for simple lightweight applications, or at least it used to be. Installing it is mostly straight forward. It's so simple you need different instructions to install it based on your hardware.

If it were complex as fuck and included everything the way windows or Mac is, it wouldn't be simple. It would be easy to use, but is technically complicated as fuck and mostly outside of your reach to work on or modify.

>hundreds of commands
Is this the power of a retarded winshitter?

Arch is simple, brainlet. In every single sense.

Simplicity of the end-user experience is not the same thing as simplicity on a technical level. User-friendliness is generally achieved through very complex underlying systems.

'hundreds of commands', anything above ten is obviously 'hundreds' for people who can't count

Arch is simple, if you can follow written instructions, if you can't Arch (and anything else in life) is hard.

>Things can be complicated and simple
>antonyms are the same thing
you people are to retarded for this planet.

Arch is extremely complex and not simple, you people are so retarded that mix minimalism with simplicity (arch isn't even minimal) stop with you brain farts already.

>Installs Arch
>has to install drivers because its not out of the box
>has to install encoders
>has to install a browser
>has to install a DE
>chooses crapy DE
>has to install xorg
>meta packages still missing important stuff
>has to install Bluetooth manager
>dongle doesn't work, has to install additional drivers o wait mouse uses other protocol has to install aur drivers
>retarded systemd has weird cron shit, has install and configure cronie
>has to disable 20 unwanted services launched by systemd that no one gives a fuck
>has to set a limit for systemd logs because if not they will fill your / partition
>install DE, it requires aditional configuration
and the list of details goes for ever, simple, easy minimal those are the features of my balls.

You say all that like it's a bad thing? Huh.

No, I say because retards keep telling people that never used Linux to install Arch but those same retards probably just install the meta package gnome and then switch to Jow Forums and parrot simple simple simple.

...while criticising a Linux distribution
but to offset the lame-o factor you would need to do this wearing a baseball cap backwards
then you'll be having sex like a pro

You're misrepresenting his argument. Arch is simple in the way that you get a package manager and the essentials that you need to run a basic system and build off of that. It doesn't try to provide a complex and feature-rich desktop experience out of the box, instead you build your own using a simple set of tools. You can make your desktop experience as simple or as complicated as you want it to be; you don't have to use a DE, a browser or even a display server like X, some people don't want or need that, and Arch doesn't take the initiative to provide it to you, instead you decide what you want. If you want a feature-rich desktop experience out of the box, use a different distro.

>has to install drivers because its not out of the box
>has to install encoders
I've never had to do this.

>has to install a browser
>has to install a DE
pacman -S firefox gnome
Wow, that was hard and stressful, I think I need to lie down on the fainting couch.

>has to install xorg
If you're installing a DE it's included as a dependency.

>Bluetooth
Couldn't comment because I don't use it.

Wait, why nobody has made a script already with those commands? I mean everybody is just copy pasting the exact commands from the wiki anyway.
They could even offer customisation with a simple ncurses interface, like operating systems have been doing since the '90's.

yeah but, like. some people NEEDS to type these commands, so they know what are they actually doing, because otherwise they think that they're actually installing botnet or some shit.

Many years ago (probably more than a decade at this point) they did have an ncurses interface for installation, but decided that it was limiting, as an installation interface limits you to only what that particular interface provides. There are offshoots of arch that include their installation interface like Manjaro, or Artix.

>simple
>systemd
delusion in green text

>You're misrepresenting his argument. Arch is simple in the way that you get a package manager and the essentials that you need to run a basic system and build off of that.
Ye so what? all other distros have this... to claim the simple as you do other distros have to lack this "feature" they do not, Debian has this Ubuntu has this and plenty of other disrtos can be installed barebone.

we found him! the guy that installs Arch to then install the biggest meta-package and on top of that he just did a pacman -S

>to claim the simple as you do other distros have to lack this "feature" they do not
Now you're misrepresenting my argument. I never claimed other distros did not have these tools. Any other distro that is also barebones could be considered "simple" as well, it's not exclusive to Arch nor did I say it was. Distros that provide a full-featured desktop experience are not "simple" by comparison, often throwing the entire kitchen sink into their environments to make sure they can satisfy any possible need a user might have.

It is a (relatively) simple system with an install method that is (relatively) not that simple.

Now fuck off, brainlet.

>Distros that provide a full-featured desktop experience are not "simple" by comparison, often throwing the entire kitchen sink into their environments to make sure they can satisfy any possible need a user might have.
that's minimal not simple... and even if you try very hard to claim it being simple you have to ignore systemd to make that argument

>Mint, Ubuntu
>reliable
>Gentoo
>efficient
>Ubuntu, Fedora
>reliable
>Arch
>not simple, convenient, efficient, and reliable
Ask me how do I know that you're a brainlet.

I don't know how to partition disks with a graphical utility.

Simple and easy go hand-in-hand, you spastic. With overtly complicated bullshit comes a higher degree of difficulty.

>10 mins

You forget the dependency hunting after you've got your system up and running. Just because you can get your install up to desktop in 10 doesn't mean it's actually usable beyond some extremely basic tasks like running a web browser.

No, it's simple, you get basic tools and build what you want. Arch is not minimal, the majority of the packages it provides have every single build option enabled. Distributions like Gentoo can be minimal.

Using systemd is far simpler than handling daemons and services through shell scripting.

Throughout their history, automobiles have become more complicated, but easier to use. That is, as long as you are willing to be reliant on other people to do that hard parts for you. If you want to do things yourself, you want a simple car, and those cars are easier to use for those people.

If wanted a car that was easy to drive, you would not go around telling people that you wanted the simplest car possible. That is the opposite of what you would want.

>Using systemd is far simpler than handling daemons and services through shell scripting.
t. somebody who never actually used systemv

No, I haven't used systemv, but I have used script based init systems in the past, and it definitely wasn't as simple as letting systemd handle my dependencies for me and typing one or two commands to enable and start the a daemon.

suckless drones are the worst type of poweruser in the whole history of computer technology.

it can be simple AND easy
it can be complex AND hard

Arch is a simple object. Installing it is not an easy task, because it lacks the complexity to do everything for you.

Installing it is an easy task though. You go through many of the same procedures you would in the installation of any other distro, only instead of setting your Locale through a GUI, you just edit the locale file. Instead of using a provided partition manager, you choose one of the avilable ones. It is only marginally more complex than using a GUI installer.

Listen faggot I already use arch you don't have to lie to me. Clicking next 5 time is easier than manually partitioning you drive and getting dabbed on by arches lack of wireless drivers

>dependency hunting
I fully agree, took me hours to install some softwares because of this

>go through tedious install and get Arch up and running
>everything works fine
>skip ahead less than one week and without updating anything
>unable to connect to wifi anymore without using wifi-menu. it just inexplicably refuses to connect using anything other wifi-menu in the terminal
>system started completely freezing every time i try to shutdown/reboot/log out
>think maybe I fucked the install somehow
>use various installers like Zen, Anarchy etc. to handle the install, maybe i missed something
>same issues each time
>go pleb and install ubuntu
>everything has worked without issue for a month now and counting

Attached: 1548674650155.jpg (473x591, 37K)

>wireless drivers
post-install
>Clicking next 5 time
You still have to set your keyboard layout, locale, timezone, partition your drives, set up networking and a user account. It's the same process and not in any way shape or form "hard".

How do you know that he is a brainlet?

why everyone is so mean here, can we just keep using our distros and not insulting anyone because uses some other distro??
i could be called a onions cry baby bitch, but dude so many negativity and passive-aggresive behaviour is bad for you in the long run

Attached: 1555974039392.png (1508x892, 321K)

>dependency hunting
what the fuck is that supposed to mean? pacman installs dependencies for you.

how is it not simple? you are just picking up and putting down bricks
meanwhile all you do to install arch is follow the bloody 30 paragraphs of required reading and you can make your operating system as simple or complex as you like, but by default is simple.

cfdisk is stupid easy

t. manjaro

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

not him but why would that not be a default?

idk

probably this
you likely only started the networkmanager service (provided of course, that you installed networkmanager and not something else) and so once you rebooted the service was no longer started (because you didn't enable it)

because systemd has both the option to start and 'enable' services. similarly there is a stop and disable option as you could probably figure out. on reboot start is reset, but on reboot if you enabled it it would restart automatically

NM is bloat. wi-fi menu is perfect

>autoconnection is bloat
are you a masochist?

I'm confused, don't you need a boot partition for grub? And I used much more complicated commands to install grub, did I get memed?

>this is your brain on systemd
once you create a profile you can script it, probably even create a netctl service. anyhow why even bother when you have bash history and autocompletion if you're lazy lol

ipoint was t's bloat for the archiso

In case you don't want to use network manager. Linux, GNU coreutils and systemd are the only "default" programs you're getting on Arch pretty much.

Don't actually ask me, retard. Trust me.

I cant unsee the fat guy silhouette.

Attached: 11xav7z4wlw11.jpg (961x1200, 148K)

No need to install Arch when there are installer that do this for you

t. Anarchy

As an arch user, I'll tell you OP it's an old Jewish trick. Fuck no it's not simple or easy when compared to Ubuntu, OS X or Windows. Fat Arch users twist words to get people onto their distro.

ITT: The baiter fell to the bait

/thread