Ah yes, the perfect text editor

Attached: emacs logo.png (1024x1024, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=elNEJLIY-Yc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*fixed that for you

Attached: 1200px-Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

only good for slime and geiser. lispfags only like emacs because it's written in lisp. i would much rather write guile in vim if i could.

>a shitty shitty emacs clone is the perfect editor

Attached: 1480506830524.jpg (385x419, 39K)

The perfect Lisp interpreter*
but yes, emacs' text editor is the best, as it can take any form and shape and do much more than any text editor, as GNU emacs is more than that

>hijacks control key
nothing personal kid

>guile
opinion discarded

Attached: textedit-icon-100053678-large.jpg (580x525, 47K)

What?
Emacs is evolving!

Attached: A0F45510-9EB8-4E8B-9714-5F5B32EDF572.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>trying this hard to fit in with misfits
wtf?

Spacemacs is super comfy for writing as well.

check yourself guy
youtube.com/watch?v=elNEJLIY-Yc

or write guile in an editor written in guile.

>i would much rather write X in vim if i could.
Opinion discarded.

but that's not the nano logo

Attached: scrot.png (1366x768, 351K)

bloat

I mean, best editor maybe, but not perfect. It would be better with a consolidated backend and with lua or python as the scripting language.

Modifying the more complicated packages is a nightmare. Try modifying ace-windows and you will see what I mean. I don't like that sort of technical debt, I want to be able to fix stuff that breaks quickly.

I end up using a mix of emacs and sublime, along with the usual notepad/gedit/leafpad/nano stuff. I wish I could just use emacs, but I'm afraid to rely on it and get burned.

Maybe lime text will save the day. Go seems like a good enough language for the backend, and there's 3 different frontends being developed.

Also it's really gonna stick it to those sublime proprietary bastards

>lua or python as the scripting language
What am I reading? Those options look like retards when compared to Emacs Lisp.

Attached: 1559053106923.jpg (634x754, 62K)

Yeah it’s damn good but I always forget it’s more arcane commands in between uses and end up opening nano.

I respect and use emacs, but I dont like how its being the hip trendy thing to use now that people are waking up and not using vim as an option. But i personally perfered everyone buzzing over vim than emacs.

>writing lisp using a line based editor

So much damn bloat. It's a good starting point if you're new to Emacs, but it just too much for normal use. Seriously, just configure your own shit once you know which features you'll actually use.

lisp just isn't the right interpreted language for massive projects, which emacs has become. If you want people to contribute relatively low effort plugins that they would have otherwise kept for personal use, maintainability should be the first priority.

Lisp was a great choice, as evidenced by the fact that emacs is as capable as it is. But if one wanted to surpass emacs, Lisp would be the wrong choice.

Writing it's successor in Haskell as we speak. Should be finished in time for Haskell's domination of enterprise computing.

If one wanted to surpass Emacs, you would use a general purpose lisp like CL or Guile, not a less powerful language.

I was using vim before it was cool 12 years ago and i'm 3 months into emacs and I hope the buzz picks up because this shit is confusing as hell. I feel like i'm missing the paradigm or something. nothing in vim is natural, but emacs is another level. it's not even all the ctrl and alt key presses since I did that for years in other applications. I really feel like i'm missing the point in not knowing lisp. I even tried some editors like text adept because i'm more familiar with lua. Now someone mentioned a golang based editor and i've wanted to learn go as well... There seems to be big gains in text editing with a proper language behind you but I can not seem to unlock that part of things. Don't mention vimscript because that shit is too weird and i need to learn something that translates to other programming duties/routines. also i hate python

EMACS is a great text based OS with a less than optimal default test editor.

>startup is now 1 minute

C-h r brings up the manual, and you can read the Elisp tutorial there.

it's awright. I changed from beancount to ledger and org mode as an agenda.

The point of Emacs is to use it, it's not only a text editor to edit text, it has a lot of stuff. If you don't use "that stuff" just use something else.

just learn spacemacs

Attached: harsh reality.png (1920x1080, 412K)

your gay

Attached: next1.png (1920x1286, 390K)

isn't haskell for math

Haskell is for parsing and highly parallel garbage creation

Does nano even have linters or autocomplete, or are those bloat?

>single thread
kek

I use Sublime. It's pretty and powerful.

Ah yes, the perfect text editor.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-30 23-28-44.png (405x181, 20K)

what's the font? it looks lovely

good ol' Terminus
it's bitmapped so you don't get aliasing artifacts

I'm just getting into emacs and i'm sad that as i get more into it, all my urxvt+i3 configuration will be pretty much pointless.

Based.

Why do people insist that you need to know a bunch of shortcuts to use vim? Even knowing just a couple is enough to be more productive compared to a simpler text editor.

This. Despite all the Guile Emacs wanking (usually pushed by people who don't actually know any Lisp), a new Emacs would be better written in Common Lisp, as it's already more similar to Emacs Lisp. In fact, the latter influenced the design of the former.
And for the record: no, Lisp isn't an "interpreted" language. In fact, the most popular Common Lisp implementations compile to native code by default.

>he uses vim/emacs to edit colors in his configs just to "seem cool"

Attached: ec535f97-aa93-421a-ab3e-2e7af4fa9d2f.jpg (590x421, 19K)

Why? Emacs plays very well with tiling wms, despite what Vimfaggots believe.
A single Emacs instance can spawn multiple windows (Emacs calls these "frames" to distinguish them from internal windows) and you can have your wm arrange them. I'm using it with Xmonad and it's very comfy.
Spawn a new frame with C-x 5 2 and watch tmux become the obsolete piece of shit it is.
Needless to say, you must use the GUI version for this to work.

emacs has always been bloat

Yea, I don't understand people who uses just VIM to edit dotfiles and then switches to some crap like VScode to program. Just use VIM all the time.

I thought i'd "had" to migrate towards exwm, anyway i'm just starting out so i guess i'll see

>Welcome back!
but I never left

How do i use i3 within emacs?

*blocks your path*

Attached: obsd_acme.png (1130x930, 55K)

You don't. You use Emacs within i3.
Just use multiple frames instead of internal Emacs windows.
>C-x 5 2 opens a frame
>C-x 5 0 closes a frame (or your wm's kill shortcut)
>manage them with your wm's shortcut (using mod4 doesn't conflict with Emacs usually)

>not sublime
Kys faggot

vim with like 2-3 plugins and tmux is all you need. vim's key bindings are god tier. you don't even have to know a lot of them, I only know 10-15 and I've been using vim for 3 years

You don't need them

Based

Attached: 2019-05-31→15:18:15.png (914x58, 11K)

>ed-tier
>emacs
dumb weeb

Ahem

Attached: download.jpg (239x222, 21K)

for me, it's sublime text

Attached: absolutely based.png (512x512, 35K)

> hijacks escape key
nothin personnel kiddo

>lisp just isn't the right interpreted language for massive projects, which emacs has become. If you want people to contribute relatively low effort plugins that they would have otherwise kept for personal use, maintainability should be the first priority.
What are you talking about, lisp is used in very complicated projects like calculating airtraffic fares, spaceshit ,....

>lisp just isn't the right language for massive projects
Why not? You need to actually explain your ideas if you want to be taken seriously.
>interpreted language
No such thing.
>maintainability should be the first priority
How is Lisp not "maintainable"? Your post reads like someone with zero knowledge of Lisp wrote it.

>vim with like 2-3 plugins and tmux is all I need.
ftfy

>I only know 10-15 and I've been using vim for 3 years

The brainlet prefers vim, shocking.

>no multithreading
Unusable. VScodium is the only sane choice.

why not atom?

Attached: 1548390791736.jpg (750x750, 58K)

Emacs does support a limited form of concurrency as of the latest version, though. Hopefully it's going to be developed further.

It’s acceptable for fosshit
But professionals use real tools

Attached: 4C2E134D-F23A-4267-981D-4DDADB1351F0.png (400x400, 17K)

atom is slow as shit, use sublime or vscode