/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! NEW KERNELS 4.9.x-5.1.x, YOU "MUST" UPGRADE NOW !!!
linuxreviews.org/YouMustUpgradeNOW

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: friendlylinuxthread-ChaeKyung-fancam-editonx.vp8.webm (1920x1080, 2.79M)

Other urls found in this thread:

build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:rncbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw ricing while high

Attached: 1477451470626.png (512x512, 193K)

good post

this is a repost

how does void linux handle ACPI signals? i am trying it out in vitualbox, but it seems it ignored the ACPI shutdown signal from virtualbox every time i want to shut down the VM

Isn't void one of those very bare-bones distributions? It could be that it simply doesn't handle ACPI signals. Gentoo doesn't until you install acpid. Other distributions have it handled by systemd and void doesn't have it. See if the acpid package is available for it. That's a general-purpose util which should work as well on Void as it does on Gentoo.

I though you were talking about video scaling for the monitor. Sorry.
Of course I don't have a 4k monitor, I'm not a brain dead consumerist.

does anyone use wayland?

Weyland Industries

A lot of people do. I'm not one of them.

Most programs scale just fine. Cinelerra appears to be using some kind of special custom toolkit which doesn't? It clearly doesn't care about X's DPI setting. I tried zooming in so I could see it's settings and found nothing there in terms of menu font size or icon size settings.

Everything in the GUI is just too small on my system. I guess it would be fine on a 720p or 1080p monitor. On 4k it's simply not usable.

>consumerist
It's just a lot nicer in so many ways, just like IPS monitors is superior to TN when it comes to colors. Some programs not scaling at all because they can't keep up with the technology is a problem, though. I'm not some "consumerist" because I'm not still using a IBM XT with a CGA monitor. Technological progress is a thing.

i'm curious to know what people use
toolkits? anything similar to openbox? replacement for xrandr? any problems with xwayland?

what nigga said that opensuse has shitty repositories? I've been memed on. if there's at least one good thing about it then it is its repos

I posted this in the previous thread, but I dropped the ball.

I have a bash function in my .bashrc file. I want to stop execution of said function whenever one of its commands fails. One way to achieve it is to ad "&&" to the end of each command. But I was wondering if that's the best way to do it or if there are other preferred options.

"set -e" doesn't work in this case, since it ends the whole shell session. Thanks for all the previous answers.

How does openpepe compare to Fedora?

*ahem* *adjusts the tie*
INSTALL GNU/LINUX

Attached: download.jpg (1704x2272, 898K)

>void linux
mentally challenged are not allowed here

How do I make GNOME not waste a ton of space?

by uninstalling it and installing something sensible like Plasma

Based. I'm partial to KDE and XFCE

That's not an option.

never really used fedora, but opensuse has its own package manager ZYpp, which is, according to different users, either the greatest thing or the lamest thing ever. it seems to me that ZYpper is more accommodating for middle-tier users than DNF because it has a decent GUI.

enjoy toddler DE than

install Mutter + Nautilus

Sway is an i3 port to wayland. There are probably other simple wm managers for it.
Gnome and KDE seem to support it just fine.
Note: On wayland the wm is the compositor.

The only problem I ever had, some years ago when I briefly used it on Fedora, was hotkeys not working on VirtualBox.

I just found out about "Maximum mount count" before automatic fsck during bootup, that you can see with
tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX|grep Maximum
tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX|grep Interval

It was set to -1 for all my partitions (i.e disabled). "Check interval" was 0 (i.e disabled). This is on Debian and Fedora. Should I be concerned? I read to set partition Maximum mount counts to different numbers so they all don't get checked at once, so I've set my partitions that have that setting to 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34 (tune2fs -c 30 /dev/sdaX) so they get checked about once a month, but not all on the same day.

what about xrandr? what's the method for controlling video-related things like gamma/scaling/modes/etc?

Yast is great and the distro is very polished. The repos are shitty compared to Debian and Arch.
I use debian but would give fedora a 9/11 score.

Much more polished.

Idk, I never used it that much.

Can I install Unity on Arch and have it work fine?

you don't use any custom modes? not even for 72Hz?

I only buy cheap stuff from good brands.

did you misquote? not sure how that relates

>The repos are shitty compared to Debian and Arch.
I'd like to interject for a moment. opensuse has community repos that are full of newest and working software thanks to its powerful build system, which is absent in debian, let alone arch
major gnu/linux developers use opensuse's community repos because it has great building tools, for example, R. Nuno Capela, the author of Qtractor, JACK Audio Connection Kit and the Linux synth suite:
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:rncbc

I'm not one of the people using wayland. I only buy cheap stuff from good brands, means that I very rarely buy a new monitor and I never had one that supports 72Hz.
Thanks for your polite and informative interjection. I would look more into it.

>I never had one that supports 72Hz.
most monitors can do 72Hz, they just don't ship with such a mode by default, hence the use of custom modes
pic related, basic, cheap AOC "60Hz" monitor

Attached: IMG_20190602_001619.jpg (1024x768, 113K)

I have succeeded in installing Arch to a 32GB USB stick.
I feel fresh as a newborn.

Weird suggestion for the question—KDE is huge as well.

My mother had a PC with Windows 7 and Linux Mint on it.
Since she had forgotten the password for Win 7 I told her I would just install Win 10 over it.

Did it, but now when we reach the boot loader (which is now a Windows 10 looking one)l, I pick Linux Mint and it goes something like

file linux mint winboot wwubildr.mbr
status 0xc000000f

So yes it does not work.
In spite of having told her to backup both windows and linux files she said she did not backup the linux ones.

What happened?

If I'm running a service using postgresql, and I want to migrate everything to a new server, do I need to CREATE DATABASE and CREATE USER on the new machine before importing the sql dump? Is this the safest way?

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP-1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)309mm x 174mm
1366x768 60.00*+
1360x768 59.80 59.96
1024x768 60.04 60.00
960x720 60.00
928x696 60.05
896x672 60.01
960x600 60.00
960x540 59.99
800x600 60.00 60.32 56.25
840x525 60.01 59.88
800x512 60.17
700x525 59.98
640x512 60.02
720x450 59.89
640x480 60.00 59.94
680x384 59.80 59.96
576x432 60.06
512x384 60.00
400x300 60.32 56.34
320x240 60.05
VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
[/code

Windows overwrote grub. Easy to fix, duck go it.

Just use grub to overwrite the bootloader again,
What happened is that installing Windows modified the bootloader and it's a PITA to boot other operating systems from it, so just reinstall grub.
To do this, you can use a live usb/cd and chroot into your Mint install.
Google "grub repair chroot linux mint" to see how.

Yes.

Congrats user, you have ascended.

Now install guix.

Ah, thanks I did not expect that mistake because, I still saw Linux Mint in that Windows 10 boot, so I just assumed that it would make no sense for it to be there but not actually work, oh well, thanks.

do you understand the meaning of 'custom mode'?
mine only normally has 60Hz at 1920x1080 as well

Attached: a.png (1028x858, 110K)

Microsoft is trying to Embrace/Extend/Extinguish™ GNU+Linux.

xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 1366x768 --rate 72.00

Still no difference. Do I have to do something else because I don't really care that much about it.
If the monitor had a hidden 1080 mode that would be neet though.

Ok, it seems I have to find out whether my monitor really supports such hidden modes and then add it to xrandr.
How can I do that? It's just a cheap notebook panel I have no idea about the model or manufacturer.

new to windows, just installed linux
any tips

have sex

Do not do that It's a troll.

You need to install Guix adn watch anime.

that only selects a mode, you have to create one first
give this a shot;
$ xrandr --newmode "test" 100.80 1366 1374 1592 1600 768 771 872 875 +hsync +vsync
$ xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "test"
$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode "test"
if you end up with a blank screen or error message from your display, run "xrandr --output eDP-1 --auto" to switch back to your default mode

what you can use depends on the absolute limits of the monitor, here's mine;
> grep Ranges: ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
[ 27.122] (II) AMDGPU(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 83 kHz, PixClock max 175 MHz

-- speaking of "1080 mode", you can set your framebuffer to 1920x1080, scaled down to 1366x768
$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --scale-from 1920x1080
(this doesn't require a 1920x1080 mode, you can write anything there)

There's some flatearth style conspiracy going on which even Wikipedia fell for. The conspiracy says that Linus Torvalds has created the Linux system. Now, the reality is that actually the system was created by Richard Stallman; Linus Torvalds just created the kernel of Linux. That's thing you should always be aware of.

new to linux, just installed MINIX
any tips

Minix Protip #1;
Minix isn't Linux

Any hints? Is that really the best way to do it?

let's say I want to fuck around with Guix but the baremetal install won't work for some reason. what stable base OS should I install to run guix package management ontop of?

>the kernel of Linux
this suggests linux is more than a kernel
so if linux is the system, then;
>the system was created by Richard Stallman
is incorrect
your post has logical errors

new to linux, just installed Source Mage
any tips

install gentoo

INSTALL WINDOW MAKER

Attached: 12Untitled1.png (484x472, 286K)

My monitor really only goes up to 60Hz. This scale thing is interesting but everything looks blurred and tiny and I can't move the mouse cursor past the 1366x768 area.

I guess the tiny part would be fixed by setting xorg to hdpi?

How do I get a small script to run (as user not root) after I log in in Debian?

install guix

how do I install it from Source Mage?

make a systemd user service or add to xinitrc

Okay, that's just too much work. I'm officially giving up.

>My monitor really only goes up to 60Hz.
didn't work?
that mode not working alone doesn't quite prove it can't do it, idk what is though, since i don't know what the pixel clock, horizontal frequency and vertical frequency limit are for your monitor

>This scale thing is interesting but everything looks blurred and tiny
because it just takes a 1920x1080 picture and scales it down to 1366x768, it doesn't make anything sharper, so it has limited uses
>I can't move the mouse cursor past the 1366x768 area.
you should be able to, not sure why that's doing that for you
>I guess the tiny part would be fixed by setting xorg to hdpi?
yea, but that'd be pretty pointless... scaling down just to scale back up at a different layer...

install guix

>that mode not working alone doesn't quite prove it can't do it, idk what is though, since i don't know what the pixel clock, horizontal frequency and vertical frequency limit are for your monitor
I looked up Xorg.0.log, there ware some high frequency modes but only for 1024x768, which looks bad on 16:9.

>yea, but that'd be pretty pointless... scaling down just to scale back up at a different layer...
Yeah, figured it out.

why the fuck "mv" command overwrites files by default without even logging it?
how is this even considered normal behavior?

Attached: 1558121550817.png (400x383, 187K)

I thought Motif is cool, but then I discovered twm

>it has limited uses
to be clear, it's not useless, it's good for;
- superscaling games with no support for superscaling
- using low res modes not supported by your monitor
- using programs with a minimum display size requirement over your monitor (especially good on old computers/netbooks with low res displays)
to name a few

>I looked up Xorg.0.log, there ware some high frequency modes but only for 1024x768, which looks bad on 16:9.
same, mine has a 1280x1024 75Hz mode preset
that fact is has such a mode means 60Hz may not be the highest possible you can get at 1366x768

linux is not windows. it won't hold your dick.
you typed the command, you pressed enter, it
assumes you know wtf you're doing.

if you want a safety net, add something like alias mv='mv --interactive --verbose' to your .bashrc

Im tired of i3 and tiling shit and want normal desktop back. Is Fedora good and stable distro or I should go full g mode and install gentoo

but user, the current terminology used is referring to the system as 'linux' and to the kernel as 'the kernel'. that's how language works and when linux means gnu and kernel means linux, it's only correct to say that rms crated linux and torvalds created the kernel

Attached: 1549049305219.jpg (313x161, 7K)

install Motif

What did you delete user?

Yeah, already had that, but I used it in a find command, and of course it didn't take the alias, and I had forgot that by default mv doesn't ask, because used to the alias I had set up.

It is indeed a blessed day.

I see you are trying to jest me. Although I shall remain with pacman for its efficiency and amusing name, I will kindly remember your humourous suggestion for its initiatory nature.

>stable
no
>good
maybe

For stability install Debian or Centos. Full gentooman mode is now to install Guix.

Hello bros, I wanted to install ubuntu on a HDD but I noticed in the live demo that I get flickering on screen where horizontal green lines of varying thickness across my screen? I noticed it in the other distros I tried as well. I could find anything about this online and was wondering if there is some kind of fix for this issue. I'm running AMD R5 1500x and an RX 580, and my monitor is running at 1080p 75 Hz if that is relevant.

gentoo is boomer tech
install arch

You can install the guix package manager on other distros too.

Anyone have I guideline for what settings I should have checked on my Gentoo kernel config if I have an NVIDIA GPU. Last time I installed Gentoo, I encountered a ton of problems and I couldn't even reboot without holding the power button.

alias ln='ln -iv'
alias cp='cp -iv'
alias mv='mv -iv'
alias rm='rm -Iv'

This generated additional fun when you're working on a different system that doesn't have these aliases but you're used to them.

if you can't find the wiki page for it yourself you should probably stick with manjaro

>working on a different system w/o these aliases
hahahahah i felt that user
taught me to double check every command before i press enter

Is UnixBench a good benchmarking software?

Attached: E9D96438-C846-4D66-91CA-57DC39744A56.jpg (719x960, 125K)

All I had downloaded this week.

It could have been worse.
Idk. The phoronix suite is good I guess.

Attached: putin and natasha.jpg (650x448, 53K)

Sounds deprecated, judging from the name.

for((i=0;;i++)){ printf "\e[38;5;2$((i%5+26))m%$(bc -l

It's kind of .. double-edged. Being used to Gentoo I found it really annoying and nanny-like to use a distribution with alias rm='rm -i' like I need to be asked about every damn file when I already made it very clear that I want the files eradicated when I typed rm. Why else would I type rm *, eh? But I also see the value in it, specially on production systems where a mistake will cost the client lots of money.

Just use the alias if you want mv to ask you about every little move.

Opera hasn't got a licence for ffmpeg so when it updates I install libffmpeg.so from github in the opera directory. However, after updating to version 60.0.3255.109 this method isn't working and videos aren't playing. Any ideas for a solution?

Attached: 1548613633212.png (120x40, 947)

You can still do "\rm" or "command rm" to bypass the use of the alias.