What does Jow Forums think of this book?

what does Jow Forums think of this book?
Does it help build a programming mindset?

Attached: 10302096468.jpg (950x1500, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/books/computational-beauty-nature
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

programming helps build a programming mindset you fucking poser

>ein zwei drein nein hitler kaput

it's shit by design

I have spent a lot of time programming algorithms and doing mathematics. There's only a limit you can reach by not reading books and blogs.

/thread

>There's only a limit you can reach by not reading books and blogs.
that's the complete opposite of true
reading programming blogs is keeping up with the joneses
you're probably just a fucking dumbass

There's plenty of book recommendations in the wiki. You *DID* realize there's a sticky with a wiki link, which in turn has a book list article linked on the front page, you fucking imbecile.

>reading programming blogs is keeping up with the joneses
you sound like a butt hurt boomer who couldn't keep up with the changing technology and is probably still shitting in C

retard I never asked for book recommendations.
I specifically asked about this particular book. All you have to offer is some off topic retarded self fellating argument.

It's an okay book but it's unnecessarily long and has the worst fluff to content ratio ever. I've never read a book that was more overinflated, like the fucker could probably be 200 pages and you'd get all the main ideas.

programming blogs and online tech discussions are the bastion of the mediocre
if you find wisdom in that that means you're below mediocre

Go away, Big Yud.

funny how you would stick to just blogs and not books. Wish you rever read blogs written by eminent people of tech and not zoomer pajeets.

thanks

books have some value, blogs have none
all the most popular blogs are people tooting their own horn and posting trendy opinions
"eminent people of tech" means absolutely nothing
programming isn't about people

depends on how deep you're already in. I've learnt more about music and biology than about computer science from it.
but if you've never dealt with formal systems and gödel's incompleteness proof it's probably a great introduction.

>"eminent people of tech" means absolutely nothing
>programming isn't about people
why do I even try to argue with scathing cases of dunning krugger here.

formal systems and logic is the reason I was attracted to this book in the first place, makes sense. thank

how would you know if I'm dunning kruger
you don't even know anything about me
following others is path of the mediocre
and it's true of programming more than it is anything else, programming is between you and the machine, if you have a capable mind you don't need other people coming in and telling you how you should or shouldn't do things
if you cant achieve gnosis you should just go and do something else

Completely agree. Had to drop it halfway. Can't understand such high ratings for this intellectual masturbation.

>Can't understand such high ratings
Morons like OP think that reading will make them smart by osmosis. There's a huge population of morons that think something obscurely explained is smart. These idiots are easily identifiable. They have their normal moronic way of talking, and a formal way of talking, or so would they believe, in which they cite things literally to skyhigh cringefactors.

obscure jodorowski crap = profound
slowmo indie film = profound
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

I read it years ago. It goes around and around in agonizing detail. Just watch feynman videos and your mind will be freed.

it could be 10 times slimmer. the guy is a graphoman in the first place

aside from that it is the book about natural recursive patterns (structures)

>Since school time
>bowse normal books at bookstore
>bang 850 page brick
>*checks checks* ahh american

really

>programming is between you and the machine
>if you have a capable mind you don't need other people coming in and telling you how you should or shouldn't do things

and thus were the web frameworks created

one every fucking week

what does it mean?

Attached: watthefug.png (1265x1008, 1.24M)

Yes. It's a great book that treats the topic of recursion with a great deal of depth and respect. You may get a lot out of it but it won't magically make you a great programmer.

>books
true
>blogs
false

Based feynman video watcher

Imagine being this American

It’s not even about being American, it’s about being a worthless faggot.

The first 200-300 pages are just repeating themselves over and over, high noise to signal ratio. It could be this way by design since it's a book about self reference but generally you can just entirely skip those pages if it becomes agonizing to read. He rewrote that book with 'I am a strange loop' because nobody understood the first one.

A better book, that is intellectually superior is this one:
mitpress.mit.edu/books/computational-beauty-nature

Often both books are compared, since they 'light a fire in your mind' but GED will just make you angry reading those terrible dialogues over and over

>double reddit spacing
you need to go back

Protip: you will enjoy the dialogues more if you visualize Achilles and the Turtle as an airhead bishounen and a smug loli.