Did he ever say what he wanted to happen with his legacy once he's gone?

Was his OS mostly for himself or did he want it to become something for as many as possible to find and enjoy?

Attached: 1515110836670.jpg (800x1095, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/minexew/Shrine
invidio.us/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He gave it away as public domain software for all of us to use, enjoy, and even sell.

He demanded it be burned into CPUs.

More seriously, I think some user is maintaining it on the hub of gits.

is ultimate goal was for Intel to a develop a new architecture to run TempleOS natively and distribute it to the masses

He said he wanted it to be a C64 like system for people to program and play/write games in.

Why does Jow Forums care about this guy so much?
What has he contributed in the long run?
It's impressive that he wrote his own OS, but what did he do with it? What purpose did it serve?

It brought us all closer to the god

Terry's OS is actually very important, because it proved that a fast programmer's operating system doesn't have to be a complex bloated clusterfuck; and demonstrates the advantages we could have if we would be satisfied with simplicity. Relying on complexity makes the individual programmer a helpless indentured servant; and the money flows towards companies large enough to be able to deal with that complexity, so they get to tell us all how we ought to live. There are real lessons in there.

He was one of the best programmers to have ever lived. He improved the C syntax and wrote his own fucking compiler.

because he said nigger a lot

Let's not forget that every single line of source code in the entire thing is viewable through an internal inspection tool - and modifiable too.

>what did he do with it? What purpose did it serve?
A lot of fags here running loonix so...

Thanks for the explanation. But I still don't get why there are continuous threads. Take the principals and work towards something with his principals in mind. I agree that a user should have the ability to tailor their system to what they want as an individual, but we are not moving towards that kind of future for the most part. I'm still learning to program so I can't take on that kind of project but I'm sure a lot of you could. For example, I'm really into music production, but I don't participate in circlejerk threads about the artists who inspire me the most, because I'd rather listen to the music, learn from it, and work on my own things using the inspiration. Take pieces of what great minds have demonstrated, and move forward.

He wrote a compiler, kernel and full OS.

>Thanks for the explanation. But I still don't get why there are continuous threads
because he was like a friend and a lot of us related to him, and provided us with lots of good times, now he's gone and we miss him

Attached: 1538224476997.jpg (480x360, 35K)

It was us that drove him mad, sending him calls, getting his channel taking away, and teasing her with Physics Girl.

If you made an improved variant of C, used it to develop your own filesystem, compiler, kernel, and operating system all while constrained by a mental illness that would be impressive. His work is being continued with ShrineOS, and leaves plenty of potential for people to build on for their own games and projects just like Terry wanted in the first place.
github.com/minexew/Shrine

He only wanted rid of niggers and "jews" and you all did nothing.

>github.com/minexew/Shrine
>networking

absolutely haram. the prophet has already spoken.

>Why does Jow Forums care about this guy so much?
Jow Forums = Technology.

>What has he contributed in the long run?
Created an OS that is going to be God's official temple for the next 10 centuries.

>It's impressive that he wrote his own OS, but what did he do with it? What purpose did it serve?
See above.

Then there must be alterior motives... Try not to think what those might be.

based jordan is based as usual

Lots of glowing posts in this thread

Because he's the smartest programmer that ever lived.
invidio.us/watch?v=mBgIBF9Y6PE

Yikes, buddy. You sound like a fag who believes everything revolves around him - but is currently too insecure about his own underachievements that he detests somebody (anybody) getting acclaimed for what they did.
The fact you brought up two of your hobbies (you advanced nowhere in) evidences this.
The fact you said two times "Take what great people did and move forward" indicates trauma from some past failure.
Thanking anons is also a signature of non-confrontational personality and that you desperately desire that people like you.

Attached: 4chan_cringe.jpg (600x693, 56K)

>i still dont get why
>i agree that
>im still learning
>i cant take on
>im into music production
>i dont participate
>id rather

holy fucking shit user not everything is about you jesus christ go blog somewhere else, if you can't understand the importance of terry and his relevance to this board, you need to go back to plebbit. this board killed this man, and as yeezus himself said, you'd only care enough to kill something you love. terry was us, what we can be and what we are, flaws and all. he was a man. he wrote templeOS.

Yeah it's bullshit.

The temple is complete.

>fast programmer
You know that nigga worked on it for years.

Nobody seems to have discussed to programming side of TempleOS, so I'll try to address it. Terry himself was amazing, and the amount of work he did in the time he had puts him up there with some of the greatest programmers IMO. But Terry himself aside, TempleOS is interesting from a academic point of view too. By forgoing modern ideas like memory management and multi-user capabilities, his OS could achieve around 3 million context switches per second, unlike say Linux or Windows which will only even try around 100 max. This enables some serious multitasking. He also had some interesting ideas which he implemented in his language, HolyC. Ideas like storing strings under 8 bytes in the registers of an x86_64 CPU, for much faster and simpler text processing.

Sadly, TempleOS will likely never be used outside of old ThinkPads and VMs for memes, but it definitely shouldn't be forgotten. It should be picked apart and analysed. Terry was a brilliant programmer, and even if his OS isn't used, it would be an insult to bury his ideas.

well put. We need more people like Terry who aren't afraid to go against the status quo and try new ideas in operating systems, but it seems even most hobby projects are just UNIX clones these days.
Windows, Linux, and MacOS have become 'too big to fail'. They aren't the most popular because of their functionality, but because of the wide array of drivers and software developed for them.

He wanted someone to add networking capabilities to it.

no he didnt?

literally haram

post THAT webm

*masturbates on camera in a van*
Here's my legacy, degenerates.

based

day of the rope is comming for the silicon valley elites.

He would have wanted people to make their own operating systems for having fun with the computer.

everyone has their low days

He mentioned he wanted to use serial cables while he was out on the street to run networking but he did not want traditional CAT networking.

hahahahahah

is there some way to install templeos without burning it into a CD?
i have an old thinkpad i want to use it for

I saw a post about his last livestream at a public library.
Apparently his last response to a live broadcasted Q&A about Temple OS
was in relation to security and networking
and the questionaire viewer was assumed to
represent OpenBSD in some form based upon their stances and tone in question.

Basically it was pertaining to future TCP/IP integration TLS implementations, DNSsec and the sort which I didn't read much into.

Somewhere a long the line it seemed Terry
was getting a little distressed about these prodings and half phrased insults and she blistered out a rant like so

"AT LEAST MY SYSTEM IS LESS OPEN TO PUFFY'S PROFUSE SMACKIN' JIGABOO LIPS YOU FUCKING -explicit- LOVER!!!"

To the terror of surrounding library guests to which he quickly realized and quieted down again.

Later in the convo when later asked to define his arguments without profanity he said calmly and aptly in one phrase without breaks "my system is properly airgapped you glow-explicit" then snappily blurting out "JUST TRY IT"

I can't be certain of all these events because Jow Forums but take it with your own grain of salt.

MY SYSTEM IS LESS OPEN THAN*
(refering to his TempleOS machine not his Ubuntu laptop obviously)