pretty cool

Shit

Attached: L O S T.jpg (1280x710, 62K)

I don't think of it at all.

Shit but still better than Windows

Based.
Fuck GNU and fuck Linux.

Attached: reimu dab.jpg (480x480, 34K)

Pretty cool. Wish it had more attention and resources.

technically very impressive, but doesn't really suit any end-user purpose, wine runs most of what people need to run better than reactos can
it's the kind of thing which needs to be basically perfect before anyone will use it, but cloning an os is probably the hardest thing to get perfect

you made this?

Attached: reactlost.png (1600x1200, 960K)

>Fuck GNU and fuck Linux.
Based BSD user.

>ReactOS
this shit is windows open source project?

Attached: 32i9ax.jpg (666x500, 67K)

>Russian Botnet
The source is open and you can review it yourself. Unlike an actual botnet.
github.com/reactos/reactos/

Needs a w7 aero skin

>trannyhub
good bot

i just realized reactos is now hosted on a platform owned/hosted by microsoft
a literal windows clone
willingly and freely hosted by microsoft

Would've been a worthwhile competitor to Windows. Instead we got pic related.

Attached: 1556034200360.jpg (4000x5000, 3.76M)

You might as well run a full-featured copy of Windows in a VM. It's nowhere near compatibility with NT6 applications or modern systems. So, it's shit.

I tried it out recently, it seems to run pretty much everything Windows does.

WinPajeet shills on the job.

Stop developing kernel, and focus on developing wine.

Kek.

a cute novelty project

Works on my machine

Attached: bussy.jpg (1280x800, 369K)

Better than anything Linux has to offer for desktop that's for sure.

Thank you for reminding me that I was gonna download this.

It needs more killer apps to make it stand out from the competition

bretty good if it was 2002

Or heck, even a "ReactOS Experience Pack" would suffice

/thread

I have an questions: is it useful to use ReactOS in modern hardware or only in hardware made in early 2000s?

If its at its best in using it on 2000s hardware, whats the point of ReactOS?

Surely Windows 2000 would be better for most use cases? Windows 2000 requires no activations and works completely free from internet. You can use your old software in there.

This

Because it's that useless.

Why? Do you not understand what a driver is?

Pretty much this. But...

It's dreadful, and at least a decade late.

I think it can find its place in thin clients and single board computers like the rpi.
People will probably like it for its familiarity, and because it is easier to understand than Linux

Shit that will never be released.

it for running shitty windows compatible software in a VM or for evading use restrictions e.g. teamviewer because its so fast to install/reinstall

Pretty cool. Will definitely install on my old shitboxes once it gains some hardware support.

gay

I'm hoping for anything now. I used to like Linux until it got taken over by SJWs. BSD branches are useless and also infested with them.

So, I'm looking for any kind of OS that isn't spyware or driven by a political agenda and actually can run programs.

It's so close, yet so far. There are enough bugs that the system does not seem useful for day to day work for most apps that I've tried. But given they only claim to be alpha, I suppose that is to be expected. I hope to limp along with windows 7 and then be able to transition to reactos.

It feels like they are 200 critical bugs (made up number) away from being useable.

the day it supports the aero theme will be the day of windows 10 funeral

Cool product, but never going to become what people here want it to be

To be fair Chromium is open-source but still a botnet. Open-source doesn't automatically mean trust worthy.

I'm really excited about ReactOS because I don't like modern Windows, nor do I like Linux. There are a decent number of people like me.

>it isn't finished yet, so it's shit

and i don't have anything against that, but lets be realistic, when will it be 'good enough' to use as by an average person for day to day tasks?
are you currently using it?
why not?

like i said, i think it's very impressive what they've got now, but i don't see it becoming something people will actually use any time soon, if ever

You can install it on hardware from this decade. Obviously driver support is hit and miss. The goal is not to create a legacy OS for legacy software, it is to essentially carry on where Microsoft left off. Continuing the NT5.x system, and making it relevant in modern times.

I don't know, it could easily be another 5 years at this rate, and even then it'll probably only be beta. I really want the development to speed up, but not enough people are seeing the point of it. I'm not sure why exactly people are enthusiastic about random Linux distros but not this. Is it literally because it's Windows-like?

I play with it all the time in VMs. I have one up right now, playing Solitaire, because Windows 8 doesn't have Solitaire. I've also installed it on real hardware, and so far gotten the LAN to work, which I thought was quite good.

I really like it so far. It's XP, but with an installer like NT 4.0 and the lightness of 2000. Once / if it's finished, it should have a dedicated following within a certain crowd.

>I'm not sure why exactly people are enthusiastic about random Linux distros but not this.
probably the same reasons as linux would have been in the mid-late 90's, reactos just isn't as useful right now
>Is it literally because it's Windows-like?
probably to some extent
>It's XP
it targets 2003 currently (NT 5.2, XP is NT 5.1)
>Once / if it's finished, it should have a dedicated following within a certain crowd.
for sure
would Jow Forums use Windows XP more now if it could run on modern hardware and had enough software? you bet.

The hope right now is to use its kernel and implement it as a replacement for Xbox emulation. Google summer of code is already set to work on that.

XP, 2003, same difference.

that's like saying vista and 7 are the same thing

Stop being pedantic. They're both basically versions of XP. XP x64 is the same codebase as Server 2003. They're the same in the way 98 and 98SE are the same, 8 and 8.1 are the same, and all the versions of 10.

While we're on the subject Vista and 7 basically are the same thing as well. 7 is bloated, buggy and slow enough anyway. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

>Stop being pedantic.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I know you were just trying to point out the difference.

for 55 seconds at least

It's shit for its intended purpose, as of now. That's what I think they're saying.

Unironically runs well on my bare metal C2D tower.
I had to turn off USB in the bios before the install and I was able to turn it back on after.

The generic graphics drivers work but they suck for anything past minesweeper or solitaire so I dedicided to dip back into my old windows style of hunting drivers on the net (I haven't used windows in 6+ years) and it felt pretty archaic but I installed the dedicated graphics drivers and my soundcard for my soundblaster and
I'm able to run all of my 95-98 and some XP CD games on there.

Got a nice little RetroPC now without the botnet.
Also I have BTRFS as my root partition so it's been pretty comfy.

fuck open source, linux, commies

Once it's up it's decently stable.

fuck you too

>old windows style of hunting drivers on the net (I haven't used windows in 6+ years) and it felt pretty archaic
This experience is why people choose windows.

Is it? As much as I like Windows I've never really enjoyed that aspect of it. It's easy if you have OEM machines though.

It's a nice dream and I wish them the best

divide and conquer

Linux is still pretty good from a user standpoint. It's not like you're directly supporting them financially either. I wouldn't worry about it unless the quality goes down.

yikes.

It could be still a spin-off like GNU/Gine.

We'll all appreicate it in the future when windows starts to go away.

Distro wars is one of the worst parts of linux and I really hope pointless ROS distros never take momentum.

Attached: 1320117110083.png (125x125, 39K)

THANK GOD SOMETHING THAT ISNT APPLE RELATED
BASED OP! I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK

Early forks of a project are usually good.
greenteaos.github.io/
For example this is a fork trying to work out 64 bit support.
They barely have any devs to work with though

You use it every day?
Is there a way to update it without deleting everything?

Have you tried using the upgrade option in the text mode installer?

>whats the point of ReactOS?
Well its existance does help wine development and by extention proton development.

kinda breaks every time i try that.

That is nice but I don't see why should it be a separated project

you have a project
it gets forked
team a does one thing
team b does other thing.
both important
eventually they merge.
now team a can focus on second thing
and team b can focus on another thing.
both important,
repeat.

Also sometimes you might not have the same priorities as the main dev team, or they do not want to waste donation funds on something that you probably cant do for whatever reason.

it's great

Understandable, now I just hope they come together and don't continue as separated things.

China has lots of money. Have they got any interest in this?

It won't be usable in the next 10 years.

Attached: 1559120713993.jpg (583x611, 36K)