/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 will released on 7/7/2019; they will likely match or beat Intel's offerings in all categories. High performance Navi graphics cards will be released later in July. More Navi news at E3.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: chipset-cheatsheet.jpg (1510x849, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TAcMvJSMWIs
anandtech.com/show/14477/amd-confirms-pcie-4-not-coming-to-older-motherboards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, is the entry AMD build good or a meme?

Their CPU's will be king in a month in terms of price-performance.

Their GPU's are lacking near the high end.

is it worth waiting for this navi or should i just buy a 2070 now?

>want to upgrade my current poverty build to high end Zen 2, 2080 ti, 1440p and the works
>comes up to almost $4500 CAD
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa get me out of Canada

Attached: 1559013371179.jpg (600x338, 39K)

I can relate but they do eventually get better. I just sucks buying a card and having to wait for it to reach its full potential. I buy a vapor 290x on release and was disappointed it didn't beat out its competitor at the time, which was the 780ti. However now the 290x not only surpasses it but competed with a whole new nvidia generation, that being the 970. I can see why people are hesitant on AMD cards.

Attached: 1389368015996.jpg (278x278, 36K)

Obviously get the 2060. It doesn't really make a difference for mid range GPUs like that.

henlo friend

No, single fan small GPUs are bad and their reviews often reflect that if you bother to read them.

>find a based america bro
>just have him buy the shit for you and ship it

Done.

someone post that AM4 motherboard chart

single fan is fine for nvidia midrage GPUs they're very power efficient and don't need lots of cooling definitely get the 2060 1 fan instead of the 1660 3 fan

retard making retarded blanket statements

>how do I into currencies
After foreign exchange, it's pretty much equivalent

I thought with how many chinks are in Canada, they'd be using yuans :^)

Best CPU to pair with a 2080? My 6500 is shit with CPU-intensive games/tasks.

depends if you're targeting high res 60 or low res 144

Wait for the 3700X next month.

The 3700 and 3700X have very similar clock speeds. Why is the latter a full $50 more?

Waiting is a meme, you will be waiting forever. Just buy now.

Can't be sure until they are out and people test them. Presumably the 3800X is better binned and can handle higher overclocks, but that's just a guess. Even then it almost certainly won't be a big enough difference to justify the extra $

AMD have a long history of releasing the same chips with a slight bump in frequency for a much larger price. Generally the cheapest option is the best.

It has an orifice you can insert your dick into.

>Just buy now
Unless someone is getting a hell of a deal on a 2600x or a 2700x, wait a month.

so i'm planning to buy a 3800x, should i go with Asus or Gigabyte mobos ?

The amd is cooking with pci-e 4.0, nvidia might to a refresh for that.

poorfag here, does anyone know any decent PCI-compatible (yeah old I know) graphic cards that's easy to find and also performs decently when gayming? i'm on a tight budget right now so i'm just looking for a small upgrade (around 30-40$) while saving up for my future expenses

What CPU do you even have

>does anyone know any decent PCI-compatible (yeah old I know) graphic cards
dude.... any card you find won't even be worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=TAcMvJSMWIs
Here is one guy that cares about PCI

>want to upgrade cpu
>but that means I'll have to upgrade mobo as well
>but that means I'll have to upgrade memory as well

Attached: 1556568927348.png (1022x731, 643K)

>1280x1024
>games that are nearly 2 decades
do you really want to do this to yourself?

That's why we have consoles

core 2 quad q8400
you're right but i wanted to upgrade since the one i have right now doesn't cut it out quite well
thanks, i'll look into it
i guess so? the pc i have right now is still in good condition so i'm trying to squeeze every bit of usability possible before i start building a new one

Kek

how do you not have AGP

i got it prebuilt

What's the final verdict on the Radeon VII, disappointment or did it deliver?

Attached: 54643758659.jpg (200x200, 12K)

u get 1 lol

Is it worth spending 300-400AUD on a Vega56? Should I just go for a 1660 instead?

Buy whats better
What's so complicated

I'm just asking for some advice, user

Only things it does deliver is heat, nose and a meme-tier amount of RAM

Slew of questions about monitors:
Is there any downside to playing 1440 on a 4K capable screen, or is it better to buy a 1440 monitor for a mostly 1440 PC?
In the same way, if you buy a 144hz do you have to aim for 144 fps, or does G-Sync basically give you the same number of hertz as you are producing FPS?
VA or TN? LCD or LED?
Is curved screen a meme?
And how much of a difference does response time make?

What the fuck are you talking about? You have Q8400, which means that you should have PCIE on your motherboard.
No one was using PCI (or even AGP) GPUs when this CPU came out.

But it's a prebuild user, that changes everything apparently.

Wait 5 years for fine wine to kick in.

Attached: mk6lSr1.jpg (5000x2813, 1.48M)

Vega 56 is faster than 1660. And it should cost more too.

Depends what the price difference is between it and your alternatives. Performance-wise it's better.

bathtub hooch > fine wine

So Radeon VII vs 2080, 2080 is the better buy?

I'm OC'ing my RAM and I think I finally got it at a comfortable timings for stability (3466mhz 14-16-14-18-32) but how should I lower the voltages to safely find the right amount for the timings?

Are the current voltages dangerous to stay at?

Attached: RAM.png (488x161, 6K)

I don't know if it's relevant either, but the stock XMP was 16-18-18-18-38 Micron E-die RAM

>So Radeon VII vs 2080, 2080 is the better buy?
if your going by what I said here
>Wait 5 years for fine wine to kick in.
GPU's will be out of this world and you'll probably want to upgrade cause ray-tracing will actually be feasible

3200mhz*

Is the sales tax included in the canadian prices?
I live in Germany and when I compared German prices to US prices the German prices were ~10% higher.
But as far as I know prices in the US don't include sales tax whereas prices in Germany do so it came out about even.

Sup RAM oc fren.
Try lowering voltage by 0.01 at a time then running 6-9 cycles of MT5 until you hit errors.
1.45v is okay but it's probably getting a bit too warm without direct airflow especially with summer coming. You definitely want to get the soc down a bit too if you can.

I have it at 1.44 on the mobo if it makes any difference, and RTC is reading the SoC at 1.18, so it's not as high as this thing is reading it.

so I should try for 1.43 and 1.17?
When should I stop messing with the volts?

As soon as you hit errors, take it back up .01 and thoroughly test, you want the lowest voltage possible that is error free.

4500 CAD is close to 3000 Euro, which isn't out of the ordinary if you're doing a "the works" 2080 ti build, although from my market research I expect (or at least hope, after delivery is factored in) to get it for 2 and a half. Will probably be less since I've decided to forgo the i9 9900k and just go for the 9700k unless AMD pull off the win and rescue me from Int-celdom.

1440p on a 4K screen will not look nearly as sharp as a native 1440p screen playing 1440p content. DO NOT get a 4K screen if you're not planning to run 99% of things at 4K.

If you're playing online competitive games a lot get a 144hz monitor, even if your system can't get you 144fps all the time you will still get benefits from running games over 60fps. 70-100+fps feels better at 144hz than it would at 60hz. Freesync/Gsync mainly just eliminates screen tearing without adding any input lag.

>TN
Best for 144hz gaming because there is basically zero ghosting/smearing of the image when motion occurs so it's easier to see detail of moving things in-game. Downside is worst image quality of the 3.

>IPS
IPS is the most well rounded, it has excellent colors and viewing angles and overall great and clean image quality with good uniformity across the screen. Has slightly worse ghosting/smearing than TN. Some IPS have bad IPS glow, research the models you're looking at.

>VA
VA has 3x better contrast than IPS and TN. Great for movies and singleplayer games because of the deeper blacks. VA usually has much worse ghosting/smearing than both IPS and TN. You can find models that have acceptable ghosting (Some Samsung VA monitors) Do your research. VA has better color than TN but slightly worse than IPS. Curved vs non-curved is totally up to personal preference. Response time basically just measures the ghosting/smearing of the monitor in motion, a lot of panels, especially VA, will lie about this number. Many VA's claim 5ms or 6ms but on non-gray colors are more like 30ms. If you're going for TN or even IPS you don't need to worry about response time too much, if you want the best possible 144hz experience just get a 1-2ms TN.

But should it really be lowered both at the same time? Shouldn't my soc be lowered much more?

>1440p on a 4K screen will not look nearly as sharp as a native 1440p screen playing 1440p content. DO NOT get a 4K screen if you're not planning to run 99% of things at 4K.
It will be as sharp if you play 1080p though. Probably will have a better contrast as well.

Nah do one at a time. DRAM to lowest stable setting first, then soc.

>30ms
maybe on the most garbage of bargain bin monitors. tftcentral do a ton of reviews on IPS panels and the AUO panel that literally every 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor uses has pixel transition times well below what is required to do 144hz, without ghosting or smearing

The 30ms remark was referring to VA panels, not IPS. A lot of BenQ, Acer, and other brands more affordable VA's have very bad ghosting on black, gray, and purple transitions and are literally like 25-30ms on those colors.

Will 3800X be the 2600K of this generation?

Thanks very much for the thorough response.
I would not be interested in playing 4k on the regular, only to say that I could. I don't get the impression the technology is really there outside of ridiculous 2080 ti SLI builds to have it at more than 60fps on current games, let alone games of the future, so I wouldn't want to throw away all the future-proofing of a strong build just by raising my standards to impractical levels.

I'm not really a competitive gamer, I'd probably get more satisfaction from having excellent singleplayer visuals than from being unable to blame lag for multiplayer games being unfun.
I like the sound of less motion blur, so I think I'd be in the market for a 144hz monitor.

I wasn't really clear about the difference between the three screen types, but I think I had heard that IPS was in fact the least suited for gaming?
Whichever way it is, I'd say I'm in the market more for a good quality visual that happens to have 144hz, so I'm not completely sold on TN.
And is there an ideal size for the different monitor types and resolutions? Because I've seen more TNs that are just 1080 at price tags that provide 1440 or even 4k on the other two. Do TNs suffer from going above 1920x1080?

Why do you say that?

And that will get me to a stable clock?

Yeah, once you're happy there's no errors run an hour or so of prime95 blend and an hour of OCCT to make sure everything is good.

1440 doesn't scale 1/1 with 2160. 1080 does, and so does 720. Literally on of the main reasons people want 4k is because it's perfectly compatible with not just one but both of those resolutions.

If Navi fails which RTX 2060 is worth getting? I want one with good fans that don't make noise.

>I had heard that IPS was in fact the least suited for gaming?

Nope, if anything VA would be if you were to get one with really bad ghosting, IPS never ghost worse than VA and at worst match a good VA in terms of ghosting. Really any PC monitor is great for 90% of games because modern monitors no matter the refresh rate all have extremely low input lag when compared to TV's.

>I like the sound of less motion blur
It's not really motion blur like you might be thinking, it's just certain high contrast areas of the screen having a smearing or slightly choppy effect in a usually fairly small area around the edges of the high contrast areas. If you value visuals and play many singleplayer games I would say go for a nice IPS or VA. If you don't care much about visuals and just want the absolute smoothest possible responsiveness in your online games get a 144hz TN. I know there are a lot of 144hz VA out there and some more expensive 144hz IPS but in my experience they're the worst of both worlds, the 144hz VA I tested (Acer and MSI) had bad backlight issues and the image quality was worse than a typical 60hz VA. But I could be wrong if you went with a more expensive 144hz VA/IPS. If you could get a 144hz VA/IPS that still had good image quality that would be the sweet spot for handling all types of games.

You are correct that 1440p doesn't scale as well as 1080 would on a 4K display, but there currently are no monitors in existence that do integer scaling. So even 1080p on the worlds greatest 4K monitor will look much blurrier than on an actual native 1080p monitor.

Can someone redpill me on x570/b550 vs 4 series motherboards?
Should I just get a 470 board now if I want to do zen 3000 on launch and don't want to spend $500 on a board?

450/470 are completely fine. You only need 500 series boards if you need all those slots.

AMD confirmed that all Ryzen 3000 chips preform the same on x570/x470, b550/b450 chipsets. The only thing your really getting with 5 series mboards is PCIe4.0.

PCIe 4 is available on 400 series motherboards too. It's a 'slot' on your processor, not motherboard.

Just ran 6 cycles on MT5, worked completely fine at the voltages so I think I'm safe to lower them.

Just annoying I can't do anything on my computer while I test them.

>If you could get a 144hz VA/IPS that still had good image quality that would be the sweet spot for handling all types of games.
That sounds about right. Unfortunately I'm not out to break the bank on the monitor. 400 euro would be the maximum I would spend, and I wouldn't be unhappy with spending much less than that if it could do 1400p with HDR, 144hz, G-sync.

Would you mind telling me about your monitor, the one you're most familiar with, and what you think of it?

How would 1080p fare on a 1440p monitor then?
Does curved screen exacerbate the issue with resolution differences?

Wait with component purchases that you are not 100% sure you will buy anyways.
Currently it looks like x470/b450 will be enough for an eight core Zen 2 CPU but we don't know for sure until 7/7.

what workloads would make it make sense for me to go for the 3700x over the 3600?

Hows the Samsung C32HG70 ?
I heard its one of the better displays out there currently, but it never gets suggested by people ?

The used 1070ti I got does not work with my mobo. Guy tested it on 3 separate ones beforehand and it worked. We both checked online for over compatability and apparently the mobo can accept every card BUT the 1070ti. Yes, a 2080 is okay, the 1080 and the ti work, the 1070 works but the 1070ti doesn't.

It's not though. Even if it may technically be possible, it's enforced disabled by AMD on non 500 series boards.

Can i cheap out and get a B350 mobo instead of B450?

don't fell for the VA meme, most of them are shit with gray uniformity problem and actually the "deep" black meme and high contrast will make your eyes bleed

If you're lucky and it's updated for 3000, yes.

Where does it say that?

What would you suggest instead?

Why are you so fucking retarded?

>How would 1080p fare on a 1440p monitor then?
>Does curved screen exacerbate the issue with resolution differences?

1080p will look even worse on a 1440p monitor, even on a really good 1440p monitor. It might not bother some people if they sit far enough away but it's definitely much blurrier in a side by side comparison between an actual 1080p monitor displaying natively. Curved has zero effect on any of this, purely just preference.

I'm currently using a Dell S2419NX. It's only 1080p@60hz but it has extremely good and balanced image quality (the main things I look for). It's usually pretty expensive for 1080p60hz, like $200+, but I got it manufacturer refurbed for $120 and it was well worth it. The gray and black uniformity is the best I've seen on any monitor, the input lag is extremely low (3ms I believe, there's an in-depth review on displayninja), IPS glow is at a minimum, and most importantly the screen is just sharp and impressive looking and even the contrast seems higher than other IPS. It's no frills at all but has really good image quality and is one of the few modern glossy monitors out there (low-haze/semi-gloss finish), I'm totally autistic when it comes to displays I know, but the screen finish is very often overlooked, glossy and semi-gloss finishes really do boost image quality and make perceived contrast and sharpness higher and boosts clarity. Matte finish (like 99% of monitors) look softer and duller in comparison and have an added graininess in the image due to the anti-reflective materiel used on the screen. It's really hard for me to "upgrade" monitors because I refuse to use matte screens and glossy monitors are increasingly rarer these days, there's only like 3 or 4 1440p ones in existence I believe.

TN if the only thing you care is frag hard like a E-cuck. IPS for everything else, every one of them is affected by backlight bleeding and IPS glow. The lottery is based on finding the one with less problem

Is a quad core Ryzen 3XXX enough for Witcher games maxxed out? Already have a RX 580 4GB that I had to buy in emergency for 160$ CAD (old GPU died and no VGA on MoBo)

I'm going to put together a work PC for home as my dual boot personal/ work PC (with separate drives for each installation of windows) seems to have too many issues arising.

I figured I might as well make it as small as possible since there's no GPU - would a mini-ITX support a 4690k and 2x 8gb of gaymer RAM (and would there be any you'd recommend?)

Attached: 1540625423016.png (465x465, 203K)

Where do I get a windows 10 iso for winedit/NTlite usage? I used to know but I forgot
Is this even the right place to ask? If not I'll leave

Also I couldn't find any questions I can answer so I can't contribute :(

How are there still people who haven't played that fucking game

Am I supposed to know these things without asking them? Or did I say something specific that upset you?

Thanks.
I appreciate your "autistic" display knowledge. From the sounds of it that monitor sounds good in a lot of intangible ways that are hard to put in a product summary. Unfortunately I feel obliged to take the plunge either to higher Mhz or 1440p this time, and I'd probably prefer a larger one, although I'm reconsidering a more basic model similar to that, since I'm only really pressed for cash on the monitor because it's being bought along with the computer itself, and I might be able to upgrade in a year or so.

Sounds reasonable. Is there a price range where this is more likely to happen in your eyes?

Cap Witcher 3 to 30fps and yes, you can play on highest settings.

anandtech.com/show/14477/amd-confirms-pcie-4-not-coming-to-older-motherboards

dont be retarded

Buy a decent board, decent 16 or 32GB ram (used), the 3700(x) and a 1080ti (used). Miniscule performance difference at less than half the price.

It doesn't say that you fucking Intcel shill. They literally had to disable it because the chipset is made by ASmedia and Intel so they blocked it but work on a way to enable it on older boards