Hi guys. I am collecting used Duracell 1.5V AA Alkaline batteries for an artwork. I need around 500-700 USED batteries...

Hi guys. I am collecting used Duracell 1.5V AA Alkaline batteries for an artwork. I need around 500-700 USED batteries. I am starting to get a bit nervous if they can catch a fire? I've read about the hazard of the 9V batteries. Are there anything to be nervous about? Thanks!

Attached: BATAA8DUR.jpg (500x595, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=47c5mhAtBnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

Don't let them connect in series or short circuit them.

just short-circuit them for a while and they will discharge, not sure how flammable they are but unless you intend to ignite them i doubt they would spontaneously combust

Also if they are used?

I want to make a large cross out of them. Is this secure?

So this means, that they cannot touch at all? :-(

Don't connect a bunch of them with the negative side touching the positive side of the next battery. Also, I think short circuiting them for a long time can potentially be dangerous.
I'm no expert so maybe someone else here will give you some real advice.

doubtful, but you should still try to not make contact between opposing poles

if you don't connect them head to toe wouldn't that make the art project look wacky? but problem is that connecting them head to toe will also create a large voltage so maybe you would have to insulate them or at least every 5th one

this, just use a bit of plastic in between them to prevent conductive issues

Could I bypass this problem if I put masking tape on the poles?

Really anything between them, like a clear coat.

he means the last and first batteries only.
and i dunno the voltages at which electricity begins to arc
youtube.com/watch?v=47c5mhAtBnc

Just found this. The "Bridge Tower Battery Sculpture", in this photo they seem linked/poles touching?

Attached: tumblr_inline_ns9067TEVk1qjwvnm_1280.jpg (1200x777, 397K)

>used
stop worrying about shorts, that shit wont happen on used up batteries, and start worrying about corrosion, the acid literally fucks everything up

Attached: tower-bridge-battery-sculpture-G85EJJ.jpg (1300x955, 192K)

hot glue is probably his insulator

that silicon in his hand is the insulator

You can arc with a static shock. Usually it requires very high voltages. That's through air, though. Something like enamel would prevent transmission entirely so voltages would remain at what is presumably a dead AA (1.4V).

but the poles of the 2nd last and 2nd battery would still be exposed to the air

If you coated all the poles, the batteries would be effectively inert, so the air exposure is irrelevant. Even in the case that they were exposed for every 10 batteries interconnected in series, you'd only have 14v (or less, perhaps 12V or even smaller depending on condition). That 9V video you posted had 11-12 9V batteries in series something like 99-108V DC, and the arc was less than 1cm. If he insulated poles from each other the batteries are isolated and not in series.

So if I understand this correctly; I just need to either, put some masking tape/coating or hot glue the together so the poles do not touch? Thanks in advance!

Roughly 1mm/1kV
I work with high voltage all the time
Your issue here is not arcing but instead coming in contact with one physically which is at the end of the line
Your skins resistance is overcome by about 50volts, so assuming they're all at full charge (which they're not) you'd be safe with putting them end to end for sticks of avout 30

yes