Lmao, thread has been locked

Lmao, thread has been locked
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
GNOME has the most toxic devs, just use KDE and Qt

Attached: Filepicker-1.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
developer.gnome.org/gtkmm/stable/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just don't get it, it can't be that hard to have thumbnails in the file picker when even mobile OS have that.

dont bother with it too much, it will be better if gnome dies and we can consolidate development effort

>gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
That's for Gnome 2 you fucking retard. Gnome 2 has been dead for 10 years.

Imagine you have a team of developers doing a big project. Your client complains all the time but can't fire or sue you and you don't have to listen to his feedback. You can choose to work only with the bits you like and throw away what you don't like, in favor of something easier to maintain. This hypothetical software project has no pressure to gain market share because it's installed by default.
But to answer your question: I have no idea.

While it's nice to that my patches were mentioned again, I know for sure that at least two things are going to block merging which is why I haven't bothered trying again.

First of all, the gtk3 patch uses a gtk menu instead of a popover. Functionally, the menu is actually much better, but I know that the devs will not like it and will want the popover. But secondly and more importantly, the patchset uses gtkiconview which is admittedly slow (although nowhere near slow enough to be unusuable) and the gtk devs don't like it and would prefer something else entirely. I haven't really looked into this in a long time, but the last time I checked, the other gtkwidgets that could potentially accomplish something like an icon view were all basically in beta/development states and not really usable.

Perhaps I could revisit this later when I get some more time though. If there is a somewhat decent widget that gtk devs are happy with (I doubt it though), it shouldn't be too hard to port the work over.

When originally opened, maybe, but it's still open for GTK/GNOME 3

>gnome 2 dead
>didn't check latest commit

gtkmm docs have been down for a fucking year, and just like this some random guy had to step in to fix it but they just ignored him
they're still broken
people are BEGGING on the mailing list to be allowed to fix it

FUCK GNOME

Attached: 1558930128782.jpg (1280x720, 157K)

I'm curious about the anime on the back

>Devs are toxic for locking thread when some guy is clearly spamming with unhelpful comments
Cool story bro

You're welcome to patch it yourself or make your own distro that doesn't package it by default.

developer.gnome.org/gtkmm/stable/
Seems fine to me desu

>t. gnome dev

>t. non-developer who got an open source desktop environment for free and thinks this somehow entitles him to boss around the developers and shit up the issue tracker

>thinking I use GNOME's garbage DE
The joke's on you bud.

>Please do read before adding comments that do not add anything new. Thanks.
What's there to add? Just fix this fucking issue already.

Attached: angry rabbit.png (565x289, 303K)

>lmao joke's on you i don't even use the software i was just complaining and shitting up the issue tracker for the lols xddd
Truly epic trolling 4 the win, you got me bro

What anime is this

Fuck off Gnome dev.

>Can't rip it out of firefox and use dolphin without a billion workarounds
Fuck GTK and GNOME just for this, holy fuck it is so annoying

Actually it's a lot easier now than it used to be. I think all you need is xdg-portal installed, kdialog, and then launch firefox with some environment variable I can't remember off the top of my head.

wow that's madass dooooood !
so rad. Hey, man like wow
this whole thread shows you are a towering mountain of
coolness
well done for choosing a thread where the majority of comments are at least 8 years old
and a pile of shit retarded fuck nugget of a GUI like Gnome 2

>beg for gnome devs to do something for you
>at the same time act rude and tell them to fuck off
And you wonder why issues get locked

saucenao it

Clover doesnt have that

I use KDE, the problem is that Gnome is the default for many Linux distros and is an embarrassment of a first impression.

Attached: Screenshot_20190604_083324.jpg (720x1440, 296K)

Neat

FREETARDS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: 5N011hkd1ENS7fDpPrEO50WKeKq.jpg (1920x1080, 151K)

Footfags on suicide watch

Works fine for me, have you considered that the problem is you?
Also you are aware that the project is open source and you can contribute any patches to fix any issues you might have, including the one in OP?

Any patches that get submitted are rejected. The fact that the thread got locked is proof enough it'll never be fixed.

Nice bait, but there were zero patches submitted in that issue.

>project says they develop X
>people want Y in X
>sorry, we just do X
>HURHURRRRR DURRR WHY DON'T PEOPLE WORK FOR ME FOR FREE?????????
unironically have sex, I just use dwm and call it a day. Gnome people are probably tired of getting this endless petitions which aren't bugs

Okay that's literally wrong. There were at least a couple. Go read it again.

No, I don't need to.

Also reminder that patches being rejected by an open source project means nothing. You can still use the patch and distribute the modified version yourself, make your own distro, etc. But you won't do this because that requires doing work instead of just complaining.

>No, I don't need to.
Okay so you admit you were wrong.

>You can still use the patch and distribute the modified version yourself
I literally do though. Nice projection friend. That's another strike.

GNOME devs just started a hate campaign against distros shipping patched code (Pop, Elementary).

lmao gnomecucks are such sad creatures
>see no bug, hear no bug, know no bug

>Okay so you admit you were wrong.
No, I admit no wrong or right.

>I literally do though.
So just like I thought, this thread is made entirely of trolls complaining about things which does not affect them.

>Nice projection friend.
Please avoid making these ridiculous accusations.

That's another strike.
No thanks, you can keep it.

>you aren't allowed to complain about GNOME's shitty development practices or else you are a troll
t. GNOME dev

Imagine defending developers that can't implement something even iOS has.

someone added it in a patch ~12 years ago, and they ignored it.

No

Attached: avatar.png (200x200, 45K)

That is correct, making random complaints and whining on the issue tracker is considered trolling and is typically not allowed, in any project.

It's actually funny how pathetic the GNOME devs are

i wonder if microsoft and redhat fund them to fuck up linux and make it worse

How hard would it be to write a QT5 filepicker for gnome? Sounds like a fun weekend project

don't bother, QT also suffers the same LOL NO THUMBS problem
it's kdialog that doesn't

A filepicker, not the buildin that's done portability and embeded use in mind.

There's already a project that swaps the Gnome file picker with the Qt one at runtime with LD_PRELOAD but I cannot find it.

Hardest part would be getting them to accept it :^)

>Just fix this fucking issue already.
Good joke. They're more likely to launch an initiative against file pickers and pressure devs into removing them than actually adding the damn thumbnails.

>Just compile it yourself!
>Just program it yourself! :^)

This kind of thinking is why opensource is still irrelevant as a personal computer OS and never will be

>unironically using a file picker in 2019

>This kind of thinking
The most retarded kind of thinking is people expecting opensource devs to suck their dicks while they're bossing said devs around. Not even paid devs from MS or Apple are giving a shit about you as an individual. So, why the fuck do you think that you're entitled to be a lord of the free project you're leeching on?
It's appalling how delusional some people in Jow Forums are, even though we're supposed to be "redpilled" and shit.

>Jow Forums - technology

Where is my proper scaling gnome dev!
I like gnome but your GUI is either too small or two big :(

I really like using GNOME and everything
but I wish I could toggle the view on the file chooser (between list and icons)
would make it easier to search for images

>If you have something actually useful to add, just ping any of the gtk maintainers on IRC or Discourse so we can unlock.
Didn't people make their own patches a long time ago but they never merged it? What is their problem?

I don't remember a single patch that wasn't a terrible hack that completely breaks everything the exact moment you're making one step out of the basic bitch usage zone.
Do you realize that Ubuntu, Manjaro and other distros would've already used the patches if there was actually working solution? They have zero problem with patching gnome's shit.

lmfao imagine gnome getting a file picker

>"Let's add 1000px borders around every thumbnail and waste as much space as possible!"

Next on the list:
>stopfillingourfolders.shittr
>We demand user stop filling folders with actual files, because that makes us look as incompetent as we are! :((((((

Attached: 1547491230259.png (300x300, 82K)

Are you 12 years old?

Why would you ever not want to be 12?

I'm fucking serious on this. One Two, mic check, you're whack, a piece of kek, getting shrekt

Attached: 1556941640268.jpg (800x792, 74K)

Gnome is such trash, why does firefox use this garbage by default?

you mean gtk?
just recompile it against qt

Apparently GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 according to the arch wiki but it didn't work on my machine.

Since when is that possible?

So this is the power of open sores? Someone offers a contribution and you refuse?

>Someone offers a contribution and you refuse?
Why not? If you don't deem the quality of the contribution high enough or are against the functionality/approach it provides, then, of course, you'll refuse it.

If it's your project, yes, otherwise people can add in viruses etc, retard.
You can literally just fork it and add file picker thumbs..

The patches were of sufficient quality, the only reason they weren't merged is because GNOME devs are toxic af

See

I wasn't specifically talking about GNOME or GTK, just the general practice of refusing contributions to open source projects.

Imagine wasting your time by working for free on GTK.
GTK was called the Gimp ToolKit and it's great for writing a paint program. But turns out it ain't the hot stuff for anything else.
And that includes writing a file picker with more functionality than Windows 3.1
The absolute state of GTK. Can't even get a widget right.

Reminder that At literally has NO images in it's filepicker.

I use them and they work just fine on my machine.

>have an open source project
>retards who can't code start asking for functions
>tell them to fuck off you're doing this project for yourself
>tell them to use anything else
>people start targeting you and posting decades old archives of things you say
>all because you didn't work for free for some retard
you guys are seriously delusional, then wonder why people make closed source projects.
Reminder that being FLOSS software doesn't mean you have control over the developers of the original projects.
It means you can use the code for free, modify it and redistribute it. That's all there is to it.
Neck yourselves

t. GNOME dev

any developer would be pissed that people reported as bugs features they want. It's fucking retarded

Literally the only reason I don't use Linux in 2019 (KDE is a bloated, buggy mess and their filepicker thumbnails aren't even half as good as Windows').

>Post feature request in official tracker
>ignored for years
>people post various patches during the years
>still ignored
>people ask why the fuck they ignore them
>Until we get a merge request that we can review, "random patches on github" are not something we're going to look at, sorry.
>Reiterating on commits somewhere on github or patched packages does not help. Neither does nagging on this issue.
gnome is truly the most retarded GNU project.
btw just use deepin, the chinks may be insectoids but even them are not as retarded as gnome devs.

cant even rename files in filepicker
gnome is a joke

Not him, but the problem is clearly gnome, and you're a douchebag.

shocking how much you can do via windows file picker

Attached: 1452068863643.png (249x250, 78K)

I submitted complainet about GUI and suggestion to Apple, it got implemented. GUI got changed.
I sent Steve Jobs a mail about an issue with my USB keyboard. Got quick mail from an employee with a tool to run a test on my system.

They get paid and GNOME devs don't, but KDE devs don't act like GNOME devs.
Open Source depends on colaboration. Dev. is part of it, but so are suggestions and feedback. Every project be it commercial or not thrive on listening to feedback.

*USB midi-keyboard

>Until we get a merge request that we can review, "random patches on github" are not something we're going to look at, sorry.
Wasn't the patch refused by devs? christ

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed start.jpg (1024x956, 81K)

Fuck you.