Your power supply can fail at any second and scare you to death with exploding capacitors, fry all your components...

>your power supply can fail at any second and scare you to death with exploding capacitors, fry all your components, or start a fire

You're not using a old or low quality PSU are you Jow Forums?

Attached: power supply.jpg (800x533, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=are coolmax psus any good?
hardocp.com/article/2019/03/28/seasonic_x750_750w_psu_10_year_redux/6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My old PSU failed, it just burned itself without damaging anything else.

lucky you

My psu cost 250usd so no lol

>You're not using a old or low quality PSU are you Jow Forums?
As if that saves you
Had a 1200w SEASONIC gold PSU and the mofo blew up and burned down my gpu

Computer power supplies don't explode.

Attached: 1557954404745.png (900x676, 410K)

You've clearly never owned a DiabloTek PSU

For the last year I've noticed that whenever I've stressed the computer somewhat and then turn it off, the PSU fan stays on for like 30 seconds.

Is it gonna burn my house down soon?

Attached: 1492440932836.jpg (250x236, 5K)

Reminder to buy a surge protector or your PC will die during a storm.

1.4kW PSU owner here AMA

>30 seconds
oh no, stop the presses

My generic PSU in my Athlon XP setup caught fire back in 2004. All the other components still worked despite the motherboard PSU connecter being scorched.

This hasn't been a thing since the 90's

>not using a Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium
>92% efficient at 50% load
>12 years warranty
Who even gives a shit about the price with that kind of warranty on the table.

>surge protector
Nice placebo.

Kek.
Buy a double-conversion UPS and stop being faggots.

Better be safe than sorry. Also unplug your pc when you hear thunders.

absolute unit

Attached: OL2200RTXL2UN_L.jpg (2000x2000, 563K)

if its not a server psu then why?

they sell line conditioners that are essentially a dual-conversion UPS with no batteries in it. Unfortunately I don't think ferroresonant conditioners are a thing anymore.

To give you an idea of how old my power supply is, I got it the same week Fallout New Vegas came out. It's not modular, and it even has molex connectors.

Attached: file.png (968x510, 159K)

my power board already has a ground
why do i need a surge protector?

>buy this to protect yourself from a billion watt lightning bolt
nothing will protect you if a lightning bolt hits around your house. even some meme UPS thing.

Is Coolmax an ok brand? been using a 500w psu from them for several years.

lmgtfy.com/?q=are coolmax psus any good?

Attached: 91022_index_g.jpg (395x395, 17K)

im living on the edge with a £35 850w from ebay supplying power to £2k hardware

Because you're not safe from voltage spikes.

I just pick up whatever I find at ax-man and shove it in.
The caps might be from the 70's, but hey, whatever works brah

I know, right? They just replace those giant cell towers you see off the highway every time there's a thunderstorm. Oh, wait...

but my psu handles that?

>but my psu handles that?
no sweetie it doesn't

The PSU has some built in protection, but not enough to withstand repeated spikes if they're big.

Would an old 1930's lightning arrestor hooked to the Positive wire from the wall keep the lightning from frying out my circuits?

They just put a MOV in the power supply. It's like a 5 cent part. Handles voltage spikes about as well as anything with a shitty wall plug ground can. Short of a proper power conditioner or online UPS anyway.

forgot pic

Attached: IMG_0771.jpg (1210x1613, 671K)

PSU is only 9 years old, so it's still pretty young.

I love my seasonic psu and trust that it won't ever blow up my pc within the time that I use it for

they replace quiet a bit of the nodes during the course of the summer thanks to lightning strikes no matter how advanced the lightning protector is.

If it were backed by a modern MOV array, probably. Assuming the tube still works.

i blew up a psu by switching the voltage on it once. There was smoke and shit coming out of it lol.

all the parts that were connected to it still work though except for a hard drive that failed a couple of years after the fact

I'd rather blow the fuse on my surge protector than the one inside my PSU if it has one.

The only issue with a MOV is that they loose effectiveness from transients over time and if they do experience a surge they are done for
Not all PSUs seem to feature a MOV

>They just put a MOV in the power supply. It's like a 5 cent part. Handles voltage spikes about as well as anything with a shitty wall plug ground can.
a MOV won't give you a stable consistent voltage output like a battery in a PSU
it may help versus ex tempore spikes to a degree but that's it

I have no data for this but I expect irregular voltage is the #1 cause of psu failure

>PSU
UPS durrr

>desktop PSU could explode entire neighorhood street like gas leak explosion any second

Shiet OP, gonna dismantle my desktop parts and put this thing innawoods somewhere. Nope, better dig a 6 foot hole at the very least and bury it there to be extra safe.

Attached: shiet.jpg (246x232, 20K)

Attached: we-asked-someone-what-it-feels-like-to-be-struck-by-lightning-1413241849934.jpg (1563x1125, 171K)

It's the lightnings fault for being a nigger

Woah you actually put in effort rather than reposting a wojak?
I think you outgrew this shithole

Reminds you of better times, huh?
I saved the edit btw, thanks it made me chuckles

The battery in the UPS doesn't do anything for spikes. They have line-interactive UPS where the controller can dump charge to/from the trafo to cover line transients, or some kind of constant conversion system where your equipment is always air gapped. The former is still limited and the latter is very expensive.

Or a SHAW PSU

Attached: $_35.jpg (300x225, 14K)

^

Funny you post that as I ordered one over the weekend before finding out how bad they were. Thankfully it hadn't shipped yet, so I cancelled and got this instead.

Attached: 110-BQ-0750-V1_LG_1.png (600x600, 119K)

I have an evga 600B.

I think mine is 12 years old. Bought it first when building my Oblivion machine

EVGA 1000 G+

not really much of an upgrade from my Rosewill 1300 watt gold from like ten years ago, except the cables are a bit easier to hide.

I still have a Corsair PSU from 2011 running 24/7 in my server. Also, OP is a fag.

Attached: 1350014455750.gif (250x250, 993K)

I have a DiabloTek 675W, been running for over 5 years now.

>Just got a Cooler Master 650W 80+ to replace it though cuz muh modular cabling

yes pretty damn old but I just bought new parts yesterday should arrive soon

Attached: 3-BEE68-B5-E197-43-FD-93-AF-8-E29-A84-B276-B.jpg (640x480, 113K)

Been using low end PSUs for years. Try harder troll.

How the fuck do you allow it to get so dusted. Literally just usa a vacuum nigga.

>tfw electronic engineer
>Using cheap power supplies which are also pretty good
>Boss wants me to design a single PCB for all of our power supplies
>I have literally no idea about power electronics
>I'm probably going to blow some shit up with my shitty design
Don't buy cheap power supplies, we don't know what we're doing.

Is there any reason why my Corsair ax series sometimes flashes and pops when I reconnect it to the mains? Should I be concerned? It still works fine and doesn't seem to fry anything.

hardocp.com/article/2019/03/28/seasonic_x750_750w_psu_10_year_redux/6
>the Seasonic X-750 did see measurable performance degradation after ~10 years of use. However, unlike those previous examples this unit was still within specifications
Looks like I'm in good hands.

I wanted to buy a modular PSU around that time, but the fucking things cost 100€ more even for the old end models.

my hermaltake psu made a loud bang and flashes blue, scared me to death

i had to replace my PSU after 12 years becuase the pins started to fall off the connectors, the PSU was still working fine

EVGA G2 750
> 355W peak draw