You know, I want to like Linux. It's 2019, Windows 10 sucks, everybody wants some free software in their life...

You know, I want to like Linux. It's 2019, Windows 10 sucks, everybody wants some free software in their life. Just when you think you're ready for some Linux, something happens that makes you remember why you FUCKING HATE IT.

So here I am trying to install OpenMediaVault; I burn the installer to a USB, pop in another USB to install the OS to. But it's Linux, so of course, nothing can ever be simple. Despite the fact it detects the USB stick I want to install it on, it refuses to format it when I select the disc. At first I thought it was surely the USB, but no, every fucking USB I try doesn't work, and I have to physically restart the machine every time I unplug a drive because as soon as you hotplug something, the installer loses the root directory somehow. Are you KIDDING me with this shit? Does Debian just refuse to boot from one USB and install to another? Looking for solutions gives me answers like "try removing all your ram sticks except one" or "do a debian netinstall and install OMV over it" or "try burning a DVD and install from it" or "install to an actual sata disk"

It's 2019, why do we still have problems like this? I shouldn't have to do any of that shit, it's just installing an OS, can these people even code? I don't even own a fucking optical drive anymore, it's TWO THOUSAND FUCKING NINETEEN.

Fuck it, post your Linux horror stories, I need some comforting words.

Attached: fuckmylife.png (500x401, 52K)

Fedora Media Writer always works for me.

>Fuck it, post your Linux brainlet stories, I need some comforting words.

Linux sucks, OpenBSD is much more organic and sustainable.

Just use Ubuntu

all problems I have had with gnu/linux have been solved with one or two searches

KDE works on Debian if you clean it up a bit.

I ended up as an applefag

Linux is nice in theory but the UX is abysmal, I'd better pay $500-700 more for macOS than struggle with Linux or Windows

You are doing something horribly wrong.

>be me
>install ubuntu
>tap to click is enabled by default
>tap to click does not work in gdm login screen
>do terminal voodoo to fix
>watch movie i downloaded
>ubuntu heats up my laptop
>install windows 10

correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that you're trying to install OMV to replace your Windows 10 installation, is that it? Is that for your desktop or for your home server?

Just install xubuntu and learn how Linux works before you go installing something more advance.

I have Linux on my exercise bike and half of the functions for Youtube don't even work.

sudo dd if=omv.img of=/dev/sdc

wow so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wtf are you doing nigga. Ubuntu and mint have pre-installed programs to burn usb, and if not just fucking google how to do it with 'dd' is a fucking line of text.

>Struggling with windows
>Retarded brianlet

Pick one.

>you have to change your entire distro to get something simple to work

dd comes with every distro fucktard.
It's just typing this () on the console to do what the OP wanted to do.

No need to install any fucking program.
Reported for troll thread or brainlet, regardless you don't belong here if you can't figure this out with google.

there are no comforting stories linux just plain sucks for desktop.
on the other hand comforting story: i install macosx just to check it, click calendar - works, lots of tiny practical details, mail - good, notes - good, ok this is very usable system, let's install something, go to apple store, you have to pay for every tiniest shit, fuck mac.

>Linux UX is abysmal
>Can be literally anything you want if you're not a brainlet
user, I have some bad news.

this. I only started using linux a month ago but you quickly realise that using the terminal isn't a snowflake neckbeard meme. Its actually much easier and more efficient in many cases

At least for me, linux never got stuck in a permanent update loop that prevented me from using the OS altogether. W10 did.

No, I know what I am doing, I'm not a complete retard. I'm installing it on a NAS, which I know to be perfectly fine; I have the installation disc on one USB, and attempted to install the OS onto another. Apparently, Debian takes issue with this? The installation media is fine, the USB I am trying to install to is also fine. I can see the name of the USB sticks and their sizes, so they are being detected, but the installer simply doesn't want to format the damned thing.

Alright. I've installed OMV several times on my NAS, the best way I could suggest is 'simply' to install Debian 9 and then add the OMV repos after the installation. The OMV installer is trash.

I know how you feel OP. 2019 and they still haven't managed to develop a proper display server

With a pretty fucking standard cheapo PC build I still have to apply the same 6 fixes before anything else. I have to keep around a fucking textfile just for loonix fixes.

I like openbsd but it is seriously lacking in hardware support including things that are absolutely necessary for me. I'm curious how you define organic and sustainable. Personally I just like that it stuck to the old Unix distro design and has a very conservative approach.

If I had all the time to fuck around, I'd try a bsd/nix system to try and get the best of both worlds.

I use virtualization heavily, idk of good solutions or support on bsd, seems like Linux and windows are better for virtualization

>doesnt enable hardware decoding in mpv
>puzzled why laptop gets hot
>blames entire OS
brainlet

It might be shocking for you but, Linux is just a kernel. And despite being the most important component of an operating system it is plain useless on its own. To get it in the context of a functional operating system, it needs the use of an userland, usually GNU, which is comprised of shell utilities and libraries. The combination between the two results in a complete operating system called GNU/Linux which is what you're referring to here. Please call it GNU/Linux to avoid confusion and to distinguish it from the kernel alone and to give GNU credit.

> post your Linux horror stories
I maintain CentOS 5.

>"burn usb"
>calls anybody but himself a nigga

>post your Linux horror stories
Had Linux Mint installed on a laptop, it worked perfectly fine, nice working machine. Shut it down, let it lie around for a week, boot it up, system doesn't boot up anymore. It shat itself without me using it. Or: Somebody broke into my house and diddled with it (impossible, but who knows). Either way: Horror story.

WiFi sharing in Linux/creating a hotspot. Sometimes they only let through 100kbit/s. Why? Nobody knows. There are endless threads and questions on the web, all pointing fingers at each other.

Linux has a "code of conduct" nowadays.

Most (mainstram) distros use systemd and SELinux nowadays.

Replace your file manager, click "show in file manager" in Firefox or some other shit. Your original file manager will pop up instead of the one your replaced it with, despite what you told xdg.

Only Konsole shows the currently runinng process in it's title.

There's no file picker. Not a bug.

Most android phones run horribly outdated kernels.

I hope this was comforting enough for you.

>Only Konsole shows the currently runinng process in it's title.
for zsh:
precmd() {
print -Pn "\e]0;%n@%m %~\a"
}

>There's no file picker. Not a bug.
only in GTK shit, Qt works fine

Hi stallman how has your day been my dude

Google Calendar sync.

Not one of the DEs is capable of taking my events and notify me on time about them. Or at all. Neither KDE, nor GNOME.

Userspace isn't the OS. You might as well call it X.Org/GNU/Linux.

>It's 2019
OP, people younger than you are now were installing Linux a decade ago. In 2019, you have it easy.

>It's 2019
what is this meant to mean?
things should be perfect now because... now?

why are you shitting on linux for something which seems to be an openmediavault installer issue? (if not a pebkac issue)

try formatting manually, you should get some errors at least
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb status=progress && sync

unironically could be stallman himself

Attached: 1558778737659.jpg (450x557, 73K)

Kubuntu 19.04 + latest KDE ppa
you won't regret