/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

News: mageia.org/en/ v7rc released

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: stallmanpage-sunmidancing-1.4m.webm (1280x720, 2.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file
youtube.com/watch?v=vDtgjfu_RxU
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
debian.org/ports/powerpc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the best Linux distribution for a straight white male in his twenties?

Does rofi open files as well as launching apps?

WAKE ME UP

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-04_00-14-23.png (287x60, 10K)

That may be Fedora Linux which is now owned by IBM who were, and still are, a Nazi company.

Attached: ibm_hi1.jpg (775x438, 37K)

how do I make Arch remember my resolution instead of defaulting to 800x600?

in my imo, swap is only really useful for hibernation (might be different for low-memory machines)
you can also use a swap file instead of a partition, you just need an extra boot parameter if you want to hibernate into it
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file

Attached: memory.png (640x32, 872)

nvm figured it out
I tried this in the past but I had issues with .Xauthority and disabled it in the process

It depends on the amount of RAM but typically you won't need swap for regular use. But you will need it for hibernation. RAM is compressed when you hibernate so half to 3/4rds of the amount of RAM you have is a good size for swap.

I used to recommend 2*RAM "back in the day". These days I usually go for half.

Having a swap for hibernation is really handy, specially for laptops. I use the "hybrid" suspend option when I close the laptop lid. The Hybrid Suspend will suspend to both RAM and disk. This way it instantly boots unless you run out of battery or there's a power failure in case of desktops - in which case it will still resume from suspend, just slower.

btw, not having a swap partition is really annoying if you later decide to use hybrid hibernation or just regular hibernation. It's not a question of that much space.. in most cases. If you're on a 128 GB SSD then perhaps you'll want to live without swap.

you would need to use it as part of script in dmenu mode

why can't I connect to my phone's hotspot? laptop wifi works fine at home and work. other devices can connect to the hotspot. using networkmanager

Unironically Arch.
It will broke because you are a noob, and you'll lose time fixing it. You then will pass to Debian, just to broke it too, but this time is unfixable. You'll end to Arch again, but this time experienced enough to keep it running.
Artix and Devuan if you hate systemd.

this was me but with gentoo. I broke it and I love the AUR

Hey, i run arch gnu/linux without a DE.

For the past long time i have used GPG-agent to handle my ssh keys. But i don't want to type my password everytime i need a ssh-key, or even reboot.

How to SSH/GPG keyring with osX lvl easyness

I disabled the desktop manager, made a small bash in .bash_profile and .xinitrc for the windows manager's choice but xmodmap refuse to load .Xmodmap. Putting a sleep 20 && xmodmap "${HOME}/.Xmodmap" is stupid, there must be a better way.
Someone had and solved this (stupid issue).
I'll try Gentoo sometime, but I'm easily bored with compiling.

What are the most popular distros nowadays?
I'm genuinely interested.

Attached: 20160209salma-hayek-cannes-film-festival.jpg (4268x2845, 3.32M)

Arch and Debian
Ubuntu and Mint

I'm trying to boot into parted magic via live CD and the parted magic boot screen appears but like a split second afterwards the monitor keeps switching to "out of range" immediately and that's pretty much it. I already tried alternating the settings (live/default as 64 and 32bit etc) but it still won't work

It's just that one PC where it won't work since i've used that live CD on other PC's before

Any advice on how to get parted magic to work?

Attached: 1559363576220.jpg (198x250, 6K)

Manjaro

Nevermind fellas, i had a knoppix live cd lying around and used that one which booted flawlessly

I can see and copy all the files i wanted to see, awesome stuff

Can someone tell me what the GNUstep directory in my home dir is for?

sorry for the dumb question but what's the easiest way to copy text from a file to the end of another? is there a terminal command like echo from file to file, or a text editor with a shared buffer?

echo 'Memes' >> file

For bash :
cat file1 >> file2
this will read all the text from file1 and append it to the end of file2

>patching packages extensively so that they integrate better into the system
>only patch packages when its absolutely needed
which one is the better approach for linux distro, in a end user stand point?

install gentoo

danke

define integrate

Passt scho.

Am I allowed here if I use GNU free toybox/linux?

Is there a way for me to open a file in my current directory without having to 'ls' then manually copy and paste it?
Like how 'ls' will list all files in my directory. But lets say instead i want to just automatically input the first file in the directory without having to type it out manually or copy and pasting like i said.

type out the first few letters and press tab?

>echo "Hello World" | read A B
>echo $A
>should output "Hello"
>outputs nothing
Why? Why doesn't this work??

>echo "Hello World" > temp
>read A B < temp
>echo $A
>Hello
>works
WHAT THE FUCK.

Why doesn't read work with stdin?

Attached: 1559212387522.png (256x256, 86K)

What you're trying to do.

Works for me user

Attached: works.png (335x54, 3K)

Passive-aggressive isn't friendly.

Variables set im a pipeline are set in a subshell; read will indeed set those variables, but when the pipeline dies, the variables die with it.

$ echo "Hello World" | while read -r A B; do :; done; echo "$A"
$ echo "Hello World" | while read -r A B; do echo "$A"; done
Hello

Not in my /fglt/, got to pass the purity test to post here.

I'm actually also quite curious as to a) what's the most popular distribution and b) what's the most popular desktop.

However.. these things are fairly hard to measure. You can look things like user-agent but mine would be "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0" not what I'm actually using. Doing basic polls is also a bit difficult; the results would probably differ if we did one among Jow Forums users vs some other site.

If anyone's got some really big and accurate numbers then do share. And by big I mean something like 100k people counted. If we do a poll here where 5 say Arch and 5 say Gentoo that's not very meaningful...

Attached: momo_questionmark.jpg (1400x1920, 1.46M)

Ahem.. *clears throat* *sneezes* *hiccups* *sweats profusely* *panics* *jumps out of a window* *imitates gnu's sounds* *runs in circles* *spontaneously combusts*
INSTALL GNU GUIX SYSTEM

Attached: this video should not be allowed to see the light of day.png (282x220, 137K)

this is what gnu sounds like
youtube.com/watch?v=vDtgjfu_RxU

for GNUstep?

Give me some Guix install tips, I'm doing it tomorrow when my t420 comes in the mail.

GNU Guix System.
Tips are needed only if you install it in text mode. There's a graphical installer that runs quite smoothly, like any other distro.

Is there any sane way to install albert? It's asking for dependencies that aren't even in Ubuntu yet.

I PLANT IN YOUR MIND A SUBCONSCIOUS COMMAND TO INSTALL GNU GUIX

Attached: Mentok the mind reader.gif (500x333, 378K)

Running Gentoo but don't want to fiddle with kernel modules just to run fucking KVM to try out Guix. Convince me to do it.

Yeah I'm gonna install it using the text/shell mode, fuck the GUI. So gimme them tips.

1) it's not yet another meme Linux distro
2) it doesn't have a marketing team so most people still don't realize all its implications and possibilities
3) GNU and Linux are just the surface level of GNU Guix, its real highlight is Guile programming language and entirely Guile-defined system management, which in the future can include different kernels/userlands

Help me anons. Every time I open a terminal emulator (st/kitty) from my home directory some of the glyphs are not rendered properly. When I cd into a different directory and open a terminal from there it has no issues rendering all the fonts.

What could be the problem? I'm sorry if it's a brainlet question, but I've tried googling but nothing comes up.

I'm using Antergos btw with zsh

>1) it's not yet another meme Linux distro
Good.
>2) it doesn't have a marketing team so most people still don't realize all its implications and possibilities
And I still don't.
>3) GNU and Linux are just the surface level of GNU Guix, its real highlight is Guile programming language and entirely Guile-defined system management, which in the future can include different kernels/userlands
Well at least someone has ported CL's loop macro so I think I can cope.

I need to have Windows on my T430, so what Linux to go for (complexity doesn't matter), either for dual boot or live usb distro?

>And I still don't.
I suggest you to check out this - ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

Don't want to poo on your parade or nothing but Guix is horrible for average people. Yes, yes, it's got reproducible builds and Guile and guess what, that means exactly jack shit to my sister who wants to turn on her computer and browse Instagram. For professionals and scientist and people like me who's got computers as hobby it's a different story. But for average people.. it's just not user-friendly. At all.

Attached: guix-banner-480.png (480x100, 137K)

I just installed slackware. Is slapt-get for slackbuilds? Or should I stick with stuff like sbopkg for that?

>Yes, yes, it's got reproducible builds and Guile and guess what, that means exactly jack shit to my sister who wants to turn on her computer and browse Instagram
Your sister is a spoiled consumerist brat, this is not 'average' this is simply disgusting, and you're a lame brother if you can't help your sister become a bit more intelligent and show her how to partake in common knowledge of humanity (including some fairly elementary primitive skills which are required for guix) to save her from rotting away as a couch potato.

Don't lie pajeet, nothing would make you happier

as far as I know slapt-get is simply replacement for slackpkg

I need a fairly modern distro with support for an ATI rage pro 16mb GPU, a 450mhz PPC CPU and 512mb of RAM

I just browsed its packages:
- apparently no non-free kernels (or modules) at all
- pretty old KDE
- pretty old Evolution
- very old version of (a free) Firefox (clone)
- no q4wine

I think I just won't bother after all. Even if I install it in a VM and like the system configuration part of it, it'd be completely and utterly worthless to install as my desktop system.

install gentoo

debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Ok, it's your PC, buddy. By the way I also use opensuse, when I feel like playing a game or using more varied repositories with stuff like wine guis, newest multimedia tools etc.

>3) GNU and Linux are just the surface level of GNU Guix, its real highlight is Guile programming language and entirely Guile-defined system management, which in the future can include different kernels/userlands
The highlight is the Guix package manager, which uses the guile programming language for it's configuration.

yup that would mean
>entirely Guile-defined system management

kys pajeet go poo on your sister.
stop role playing as a Jow Forumsentooman, we all know you don't use it because you couldn't learn lisp.
loser.

Attached: 1503434168526.jpg (800x1143, 94K)

fuck SUSE
hail openSUSE

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 25K)

Guys, does anyone know which flags are responsible for the audio post processing in Firefox like gain control and echo cancellation? I want to turn them off for clean audio but I cant find those particular flags in about:config. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Attached: 1559574999385.jpg (500x457, 37K)

>fedora
>young white male
it all adds up

Attached: Untitle1d.png (268x354, 118K)

>its real highlight is Guile programming language
There is nothing special about Guile. Guile is not the highlight of the system. It was used for the guix package manager simply because it already was the default embedded-able programming language of the gnu project.

>entirely Guile-defined system management
Guile is not a magical language, you could create a scripting interface for APT in guile and build debian systems from guile configurations. It wouldn't be the same as guix, it would be just plain debian. Because on guix the star is the package manager and it's so because it's purely functional.

So the real highlight of the guix system is the guix package manager, which is a purely functional package manager that happens to use the guile programming language as it's interface.

Yes, I'm autistic.

Attached: 955dbccd54921415.jpg (1000x803, 320K)

>There is nothing special about Guile
how many other distros use a full-fledged programming language?

Running KVM. Can I assign the entire resource of a host to a VM if I plan on running only that one VM?

So you are the "full-fledged programming language" guy. What you mean is turing-complete.
The answer is idk and i don't care. You could use a turing complete language to configure an ordinary package manager and it still would not be the same as guix, because having it's configuration written in a turing complete language wouldn't make an ordinary package manager purely functional.
Put more effort on your shitposting and stop being so smug about stuff you don't know, it's a fucking anime forum.

stop posting western

Attached: 4e80a2fac9873baa.jpg (884x931, 407K)

Technically yes, but if the guest comes close to using all the resources the host will misbehave and perhaps freeze.

How do I increase mouse speed without enabling acceleration speed with xorg (i3wm)?

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

is what I use but it's incredibly slow...

Attached: 105897.png (2560x1600, 49K)

why didn't you use Cinelerra?

install gentoo

>i3
>mouse

Attached: 2177277327_1aedf983fa_o.jpg (500x650, 335K)

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>Friendly
>Ad hominem

im not a resident of /fglt/ so it's fine

there is nothing unfriendly about installing gentoo

>stop posting western
nope

Attached: 976.png (157x190, 56K)

Attached: saged-reported-called-the-cops.gif (720x405, 1.53M)

say it to my face kiddo

Attached: Wildebeest.jpg (711x1024, 265K)

Aright.

Pretty sure I would come across the same problem...

Post your home address, phone number and credit card info and I will.

Attached: 1541889751722.jpg (900x420, 41K)

>home address
Hoxha's bunker
>phone number
666-66-66
>credit card
never had one

just showed up and you weren't there
nerd

Attached: 373c778ae9e973e7.jpg (1031x1589, 210K)

because I AM the Hoxha, kiddo.

that's me rn btw

then u r in for some trouble cause i brought a friend

Attached: 9e305b67ec259cec.jpg (640x475, 44K)

le me = destroed

+1

:*

Hello?

I'm using ncdu for analysing file usage and deleting cruft. I'm thrilled with it. However, is there any way to open files directly? I know I can switch to the shell with "b" and then use xdg-open, but I would like to skip that extra step if possible.

Why don't you set a AccelerationNumerator and a AccelerationThreshold to 1?

Hmm is this mic on. Test. Test. Ahem.
FUCK MP3
FUCK MPEG-2
Thanks for your attention.

Attached: GrandpaPhil.png (300x499, 81K)