/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread:

Attached: ridiculous_question.gif (245x223, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Kraymer/F-dotfiles
gnu.org/software/stow/
y.com
pastebin.com/YnqJFtj7
youtube-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who is this, and how can she become my wife?

Attached: 1542635738138.jpg (960x1280, 128K)

he*
husband*

How do I install dnscrypt-proxy 2 on my SM-G950F phone?

What is best upub reader for Android? I want the one where I can read continuously like pdf.

I'm trying to turn what was once a bootable live usb created with dd back into a fat storage disk, but deleting and recreating partitions with parted somehow leaves some boot thing outside the partitions. (I can add/remove /dev/sdaX's, but there's boot data on /dev/sda). What should I do?

How do I make ungoogled Chromium my default browser on Win10 LTSB?
There's no installer for ungoogled Chromium and if I just unpack and launch it Windows doesn't see it (in the choose default web browser setting).
I tried manually editing some registry values but to no avail.

Attached: chromium.png (570x359, 87K)

isnt there a default browser setting?

So here is a easy question unixlovers:
How to symlink dotfiles from a unique repository/folder to it's intended locations (in $HOME/{.,.config,.local}... etc) using make and Makefiles?

There is this tool called "GNU stow"[1], that allows you to do exactly this.
Here an example of a dotfiles repository that can be deployed using this tool: github.com/Kraymer/F-dotfiles

THE THING IS: this tool is niggerlicious, and I want to know the non-niggerlicious way to do it.
I heard that is possible only using an old school Makefile, but I don't find anything related in the man pages or surely I'm just plain dumb nigger.

So, I just want to know if some of you have the answer?. Thanks in advance!.

...and disclaimer: excuse my retarded English, I'm a dumb habitant of an undeveloped country called Argenzuela.

[1] From the doc.:"GNU Stowis a symlink farm manager, useful for automatically (and safely) linking your dotfiles folder into your home directory"
gnu.org/software/stow/

Attached: volvecris.png (645x729, 32K)

What things should one consider before buying a TV? My budget is around $300–400, and I need something with 40–50 inch screen. Are Samsungs in this range any good?

Why does the first command fail and the second one succeed according to Bash? In both instances the wget itself works fine and downloads as intended.
# limit_rate is undefined
wget "$limit_rate" || echo "Failed" # prints "Failed"
wget $limit_rate || echo "Failed" # doesn't print "Failed"

Really stupid one: I have to work with a very bad PC at my job and I was thinking about testing Linux+Krita instead of Win+Photoshop.
Since this PC isn't mine, is there a way to create a bootable CD with the softwares already installed plus the wacom tablet driver?
How would I go about doing it?

Attached: Mummies, Disease & Ancient Cultures_0203.jpg (2234x2909, 403K)

>dat spanked ass

Should I just get a 55" Samsung Q80R this year and hope Nvidia will some day support VRR over HDMI (2.0b), abandoning my quest to find a display that size which does 1440p @ 120hz VRR with full RGB and possibly forgo VRR altogether?

Pic kinda related, but stupid expensive.

Attached: hpomenxemperium65prd1200x630car1.91.jpg (1200x628, 83K)

If i set a "watch -n 1 sensors" to watch over my cpu temperature it reports about 45 degrees on all of my cores, but when I turn on some load it instantly (in about a second or two) jumps to 75 degrees
I would even believe that reading - if the cpu had small thermal capacity, the case-to-radiator junction wasn't coupled properly (bad thermal paste) and the amount of power it consumed was high enough - that temperature spike could be reasonable.
What isn't reasonable is, as soon as I turn the load off, the temperature goes back to 45-50 degrees as fast as it spiked, which shouldn't be happening (because physics).
I assume this is because of some sensory prediction magic in my cpu, but this can sometimes lead to my system shutting down because it thinks it reached a critical temperature when irl it didn't.
Anyone else knows anything about it? Can it really heat up and cool down equally as fast? If the thermal capacity was small enough I guess the resolution of 1s of readings could be not enough to spot the difference in the heat up and cool down times I guess.

Is there any way I can permanently save power_dpm_force_performance_level to high? It keeps resetting each boot.

>Creating multi-boot USB for few distros and Windows and troubleshooting
1. I have a windows 7 DVD, if I wanted to create a bootable USB of that Windows 7.
Will simply dd the DVD into ISO would create the needed ISO file?
2. What application will allow the creation of multi-boot USB for windows 7/10, few distros (Puppy, Kali, Tails, Debian, Arch, Mint), and troubleshooting OSs like Hiren's Boot CD and Gandalf's and maybe some Anti-virus and data rescue software?
3. If I needed to update something or use persistence on one of the distros, is that possible?

Attached: 1558139974220.jpg (1225x1633, 153K)

> orthogonal keyboard
> bezel less design
> sub 13"
what's the mystery laptop in this pic ?

Attached: IMG_0555-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 45K)

interesting question, I'm monitoring the answers

Probably a prop.

I thought so but it's from a local non profit fablab and all other pics on the website are from real event/people so it may be a real laptop. I'm looking at open hardware laptop projects right now to see if it's not one of them.

Get the LG C9 instead. It's OLED, but as long as you're not a retard, burn in won't be a problem for years.

halp pls, o hallowed PC wizards

im paranoid about my home wifi being leeched off by a neighbor. randomly, especially at night my phone just keeps getting kicked off the connection. ive even just bought a new phone and the issue still persists. obviously my PC cant get disconnected because its directly linked to the router. how do i know for sure if thats the case and if so how do i deal with it

if i have a bookmarklet invoking javascript that takes current website's url, dynamically creates an element with mysite.com/?url=currrentUrl and clicks on it (effectively sending current url to my server where it saves the GET paramenter to database).
but thats quite insecure, especially when other parameter is a user (my) token to know whom to store it in the database to.
if i make it a post request and my end website is https, is there a way for anyone to see the token and url?

let me rephrase that.
I have a bookmarklet for my simple webapp.
it uses the feautre of "javascript:" invoked from URL bar that can operate on current website.
I use this with a code in the url of the bookmarklet, to send current URL to my server (aka save it). Im sending it via get paramenter using dynamically created link in DOM of the current page.
This is insecure, because its get paramenter.
If id make a dynamic form and used post, and my server would use HTTPS, is there a chance for anyone to capture me sending that?

what's your router/wifi AP model?

What is it about how monitors handle brightness that make them so different from televisions? I'm using my monitor to play my PS3 on, and while it looks good, of course, everything is too fucking bright and and unlike televisions, changing the brightness doesn't actually make blacks blacker, it just makes the screen dimmer.

I don't have this issue on the actual computer, only consoles. Is there any remedy to this? Sadly my monitor has no gamma setting either.

Attached: Dell-Ultrasharp-U2715H.jpg (1500x1500, 146K)

it suceptible to MITM attack, especially nowadays where embeded trusted CA root are not trustworthy anymore for everyone of them (see the Darkmatter/Mozilla debate for that matter)

I need to solder this which is left which is right which is ground

Attached: 20190604_090023.jpg (4608x2592, 2.99M)

PROLiNK PRS1241B ADSL2+ Wireless Modem/Router

this is what i get from typing router's login page

how tho?
from site X i send a post request to y.com
using dynamic form
where the middleman comes from?

and on this note, is there a tool/program i can use to monitor and possibly identify/manually kick/blacklist devices that i dont want in my network?

the default one that i have on my router's page just lets me see how many active clients are with no way of distinguishing between each other

if only there was some way to check...

from your computer. Presinstalled CA root certificates allow your computer to accept and trust SSL certificates from websites. If one of thsese by default/embedded CA roots isn't trustworthy and you computer use it to acept a rogue SSL certificates your browser will show it's a valid one even if it's a fake one that allow for MITM atacks.

> See also arstechnica .com/information-technology/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections

If you're asking it's that you don't have a continuity meter, otherwise just use it.

Attached: TRS-Pinout.png (397x504, 15K)

What's a normie friendly and secure messenger? Whatsapp sucks for privacy and security reasons (see recent exploits), Telegram is mostly cloud based and kik is max kiked. I've heard Snowden recommend Signal, anyone here use it or is it a honeypot?

Attached: c6ya605t4ui21.jpg (720x1662, 160K)

how do turn on tv?

discord unironically

Which x470 motherboard makes the most sense with a 3800X?

NetMeeting

really? I've got a shitty att router/modem thing and it keeps a record of everything ever connected unless I remove it

anything usefull on the security page of your router?

He can check it without a continuity meter with just a speaker and searching for something like "left-right channel test" on youtube
I didn't give him any pinout in particular because even though they are usually the same (left-tip, right-middle ring, ground-sleeve) they sometimes differ

If I was you I would change my modem for a stronger one (Ubiquiti or Cisco) or put it in bridge mode and let a stronger one (security wise) to handle wifi/DHCP/filtering.

If you can't change it for X reason, at least add a mac address whitelist on your wifi to prevent stranger to connect (they can spoof mac addresses so it's not bulletproff either, but it'll stop at least half of the scriptkiddies out there). Disable WPS at all cost, it's a security hole. Change wifi password at east once each quarter and if you can add radius enterprise authentification (which your router may not support).

Nirsoft is your friend whenever you want a freeware specialized Win tool : www. nirsoft .net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

Can I upgrade my laptop's monitor using another 30 pin panel or does it have to be made for my model? I want to upgrade from 1366 to 1920 but my model doesn't have something of that resolution from the manufacturer.

IRC over SSL and PGP

Cheapest/Best option to stream on a TV? Can't be arsed to move my PC to the living room

you have to know what type of panel you've got and what type of protocol your laptop's mobo talk. You might have to put a translator between the two (FPGA based or else) but mechanicaly it's tricky given the few space available in a laptop.

thanks for the input, been thinking of changing routers but then i realized my third world internet provider is a real stickler on warranties and etc. ill see if i can manage with the nirsoft thing

add it to /etc/sysctl.conf

Miracast

ive seen people give good genuine reviews on cheapo chinese knockoff chromecasts

pastebin: pastebin.com/YnqJFtj7

```
# directories to create
dirs = \
~/yiffmedaddy \
~/yiff/me/abc \
~/yiff/and/carve/my/ass

# link destinatons
link_dests = \
~/.yiffmedaddy \
~/yiff/me/abc/config69

# all target
all: $(dirs) $(link_dests)

# target for dirs
$(dirs):
mkdir -p $@

# target for links
$(link_dests):
ln -sf $(shell pwd)/$(notdir $@) $@

# NOTES:
# 1. All the files and folder that you want to symlink
# (i.e the files in link_dests) should be in the same same directory
# as this makefile
#
# 2. Make sure that all the directory destinations are mentioned in $(dirs)
# so that they get created before you make symlinks inside them
#
# 3. This makefile creates folder:
# • ~/yiffmedaddy
# • ~/yiff/me/abc
# • ~/yiff/and/carve/my/ass
# then creates symlinks for files:
# • .yiffmedaddy
# • config69
# to their destinations defined in $(link_dests)

```

>you have to know what type of panel you've got and what type of protocol your laptop's mobo talk
Where can I find that out?

I'd try "identify laptop panel" on google

look also for service manual for your laptop. You may have to shell a few bucks for that on shaddy russian forum

What do you mean by protocol? Can not panels that use the same 30 pins be interchangeable?

OK guys, now I tried to help you, just try to help me back with your detective skills : )

You're welcome, don't hesitate to help me back on that one :

So I've got a backup.dat file for an old bitcoin wallet I haven't used in years. Is there any way I can find the wallets address or how much is actually in there without downloading 240+GB of bitcoin transaction data?

Attached: 1455264501279.jpg (683x642, 109K)

What's the best way to make a new Windows 10 installation? I remember for Windows 7 there was a "minimal installation" iso on TPB I downloaded and it was really nice to see I had like 10 processes at most in my task manager.

One time though I installed the wrong Windows 7 and I was stuck with the limit of 2GB of RAM. I'm considering to buy one of those cheap ass keys to get a legal version, any advice if there's a special iso I should use or something?

I wish I could help. Idk it myself.

What DNS are you using? I know archive.is is blocked by openDNS.
Wrong RGB levels maybe? Limited vs. full. It should probably be set to full.
Red button on the remote control.
A long HDMI cable.

You installed the 32 bit version. 32 bit has a limit on the RAM.

You can get the Windows 10 64 bit from Microsoft. You will need a key though.

its the " "

The limit to 32bits is actually 4GB you know? There was a special Windows version that used a software limit of 2GB ram (I think it was the starter edition). I had to reinstall another version of course.

Yes I know that much, I'm asking if there's any tweaks to the official versions which are more optimised. Even though I'm getting a new modern computer I really hate any kind of bloat.

You deserve a lifetime supply of furry lewd christian sex, my fren, thanks.

Attached: evolving.jpg (500x669, 71K)

I'm aware. But why?

What are some must-have add-ons for Pale Moon?

I got a 12 hour ban on snapchat somehow
I have root with magisk and i had snapchat hidden with magisk hide as well as randomizing the app name
I've never used a third party app and im not using xposed or any new varients of it

How do i insure my account dosent get permabanned?

Where do I start with pygame?
With both books and YouTube videos I feel like a neanderthal.

Attached: me.jpg (720x303, 27K)

Are there any design guides for CLI output?

I'm running Xubuntu and I want to install youtube dl and ffmpeg. From what I googled though the command you use has something to do with curl. The only thing I'm aware of is using sudo apt get to download them. Is that correct or is it different?

>ffmpeg
install it from ubuntu repos
apt install ffmpeg

>youtube-dl
Download it from their official site: youtube-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl
make it executable
chmod +x youtube-dl

Then invoke it with full path, or put it somewhere in your $PATH.
Note: if you put it somewhere your normal user cannot write you need to run it as root (with sudo for example) to use the auto-update function.

How can i find a "Lite" version of windows for use in virtualbox? its not gonna be connected to the internet so i dont need any updates or security stuff.

unironically pirate bay, search for "windows lite"

Look for "verified" uploaders and check the comment to see if its safe.

thx

Is there a tool to crack VMWare?

Can I make ubuntu prioritise the network activity of a couple of cronjobs over every other user-owned process?

Oh nevermind, I forgot that those are running on my NAS. Then I'd want my router to prioritise that over any other device connected to it.

So I have speakers plugged into the back of my computer, and headphones plugged into the top. For some reason ever since I installed win10, the headphones work fine, but my speakers only play audio from certain sources. For example, youtube/spotify audio goes through them fine, but Vocaroo doesn't come through at all, and fmovies only lets background audio through (no dialogue).

I've never encountered such a weird issue before, being the fact that the speakers definitely still work, just certain websites don't with them (but headphones work fine with everything??)

Set up either of them as the default output device

Not a stupid qurstion per se, i just don't want to make a new thread for it.
How are sandisk SSDs?
They're often on sale and i can't help but wonder if there's a catch so to speak.

Attached: 60.jpg (750x422, 16K)

Just tried it and that didnt work. I toggle between the two outputs with an autohotkey script that changes which output is "default" back and forth between speaker and headphones. I dont think its a codec issue wither because both outputs operate off the same drivers.

Certainly

I have owned several and they never broke for what it's worth.

they are getting cheap because SSDs in general are getting cheap.

I got it working with rc.local before I saw this. Thank you nonetheless user

windows embedded standard 7, use the image builder wizard (ibw) to only add the components you need

roku have options even for old tvs

What up Jow Forums, I'm a Jow Forumsizen here trying to put together a PC with some money I earned with my tax return. So if any of you guys could help me out with recommendations I would really appreciate it, I have some ideas of what I would like and I read the wiki. But parts picker has so much stuff I'm really lost for what I want to do.
So I would like to describe some of the my needs and what I would like my computer to be able to do and maybe u guys can recommend me stuff and I can explore parts from their website.

What I would like it to do:
-Process videos and video editing programs, I enjoy downhill biking and skiing in the winter. But I want to upgrade over my imovie projects i've done so far.

-light gaming capability, really just needs to be able to run league of legends or Warframe with little to no lag. I already own a PS4 and me and my friends share games amongst ourselves so no need to get into PC gaming. I know it's better. Not interested.

-Photo rendering, photoshop etc.
-maybe light coding? I've dabled with java and html, I might pursue this in the future but not sure.

I WOULD LIKE THIS SETUP TO LAST ME 5+ YEARS. I AM 21 NOW SO THIS IS A LONGTERM BUILD

So now I would like to lay out somethings I would like to get but can be convinced otherwise:

CPU - I would like an i7 or better. I do not know a lot about CPU's

RAM - I'm thinking 16 gb, I want this to be heavy duty since I already own a fast loading laptop.

STORAGE - probably HDD since it is cheaper

POWER SUPPLY - I'll figure this out when I decide on a case

CASE/TOWER - No idea here open to any recommendation.

Thanks Jow Forums for any recommendations stay based.

The PC building general can help you:

How do I deactivate windows 10 telemetry to the fullest extent? I installed Windows 10 LTSC and disabled most telemetry options via the GUI, but I can see that windows is still trying to deliver some telemetry logs.

Can I do this without using a closed source program?

there are plenty of batch files and guides floating around the net which do the same thing as spybot antibeacon, however most of them are not comprehensive.

>How do I deactivate windows 10 telemetry to the fullest extent?
Bleachbit.

I just need to get rid of some telemetry reporting, since LTSC seems to have minimal telemetry collection, I guess I'm going to use Bleachbit since it's the only open source alternative

So I have just gotten out of highschool with a CompTIA A+ Cert and two TestOut certs, one for networking and the other called PC pro. What certs should I get to have a high paying IT job within the next 5 years? Preferably as a network or system administrator.

This is assuming I get a help desk job within the month also, forgot to mention that.

What's the best way of installing subversion on ubuntu when I only need to commit using the cli?
the subversion package includes fucking everything.
I'm also considering using a docker image just for this, nay or fuck nay?
I just don't want to install that shit

What exactly is the appeal and benefit of switching from Apple/Microsoft to Linux? Would someone that barely knows anything about computers even be able to switch to Linux?

Thank you