Bros please help. I am 24, I currently work as a dev at a web agency

Bros please help. I am 24, I currently work as a dev at a web agency.

I have been successful for an interview where I can work remotely 2 weeks at a time, and just report in 2 days a month. The problem is the work sucks, it's WordPress shite. It pays £4k more than what I'm on now.

I have previously made large JS/Node projects at my currently place, and other shit I find even marginally more interesting than building a website for the local cattery so I will advance my skills more. I also manage a junior developer (indirectly).

What do I do, take the new tedious job for comfort and money for a while or keep grafting for Lead Developer role at my currently place?

My biggest concern is that the WordPress thing will look baaaaad on my CV. On the other hand, will the remoteness of the job give me more free time to work on my freelance projects and could I back myself up with that? It would also let me travel a bit which I've always wanted to do but fuck committing career suicide for a few nice pictures.

Attached: money_values.png (600x400, 227K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/technology-21043693
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bamp

If you're good at time management, with the wordpress job, you could be working half the amount of hours you normally would in an office. That gives you twice as much time to pursue your interests or more interesting work. That lets you become more attractive to an even better company that also gives you the freedom to work from wherever.

One of the worst mistakes I made in my early 20s was sticking to a company that didn't give me any substantial raise, made me come into the office everyday, and just kept piling more responsibilities onto me. But I stayed there because it was a comfortable job and sort of interesting.

Yeah this is what I'm feeling now. I have been here 8+ years and I'm still only at £28k but I am basically the lead developer and I have to have input on everything from specs to development and training of this junior guy.

They use my age as an excuse and keep mentioning "getting someone older, with more experience. but that means paying them more".

Therefore I feel like my only way to keep the ball in my court, is to make a move and work less for more. Even if the work sucks for now like you say in 1-2 years I can easily make a move to another remote company where I will have the same freedom.

>They use my age as an excuse
yea, that's a classic trap that naive young workers fall for. i fell for it too. i can guarantee you're not getting paid what you're worth and they're only getting away with it because you're too passive in pursuing a raise.

get lined up with the new job. as soon as they offer you the job and before you formally accept, talk to your boss/manager. tell them you're getting a job elsewhere. don't tell them how much more they're paying you. if you're valuable to your current company, they'll make you an offer as well. then you have control.

Im in the same boat as you were but I stay for the 6 figures and 1 month vacation a year. Cant find that anywgere else

>40 grand salary with a 1% raise each year, 2 week vacations are available but socially discouraged
>6 figures, 1 month vacation
different boat

If I had 6 figures (OP) i wouldn't have even wrote this post.

If it's anywhere like where I am anything is fixable it just takes 6-24 months of moaning and proving a point so it's not always a bad thing it's just slow and probably not in your best interests.

>probably not in your best interests.
this is the important lesson to learn when you're young and at your first "real job". it's very rare for the average company to decide to give you a substantial raise or do anything in your best interest. you have to fight for that stuff yourself, and if they don't give you what you're worth, you get another job and use that as a final "threat" to say
>pay me more and treat me better, or good luck without me
if you ARE replaceable, then that's not gonna work. so you should leave and find a job where you take on more responsibility and can become irreplaceable, which leads to more money.

Well, I started on £450 a month. Now I am on £2,300+ so in terms of increase of salary over time it's huge and normal people wouldn't be complaining.

As you said though I did have to threaten leaving each time to get that. The first time I got "headhunted" by an old client, the second and third time I said I was leaving and they gave me a progressive rise over 12 months.

Now I feel like if I did it again they would laugh at me.

But as you say it's not my problem and it's just how it works - someones willing to pay me more so they should be too if they value me. It's just down to me to man up and decide now I guess but everything points to accepting the other offer lol

Good conditions but the work is mind numbing. Money isnt everything

On the flip side, if you had to work 1-2 hour over ever day and had more shit going round in your head than you cared to imagine, would you enjoy it?

Obviously "good" jobs are probably places that fall somewhere in the middle but there probably isn't a lot.

>Now I feel like if I did it again they would laugh at me.
they're already laughing at you for paying you such a pittance. i don't know the cost of living where you are, but that's about $32,000 USD which is lower-class. enough to feed you and pay rent but 0 growth.

>£28k

Holy fuck, Bongs don't get paid shit. I make more than double that easy and I think I'm getting stiffed.

>Yeah this is what I'm feeling now. I have been here 8+ years and I'm still only at £28k
Bruh I'm 21 and work as an executive assistant, no degree just a year experience before and I make fucking £32k.
Get the fuck out these niggers are scamming you. Just to put in perspective average graduate wage is £23k. You earn £5k more than a fucking graduate and you've been there almost a decade. Move now, you have done enough time, any more and it will look like complacency issues £28 fucking k for almost a decade jesus christ.

Attached: image_2.jpg (350x254, 50K)

Take the job and hire out some Indian to do the work for half the price. Then work on your personal projects.

take the new gig. it's a known fact that when people work in an office, they only get real work done for about 3 hours in an 8-hour day, so even if you work on the new gig for 4 hours a day at home, you'll be kicking ass. Plus, no commute, so no lost time or money spent on gas and shit. And, you get to eat at home, so no $10 lunches. Also, and this is suuuuper nice: you can take a nap in the middle of the day if you want. Or go for a run. Or go fix the toilet or change the oil in your car. You can go have lunch with your kids or gf.
I've been doing this for 30 years, and it is freaking awesome.

Welcome to yurope. Best part is we get taxed more too to fund our cultural enrichment from the third world.

Thank you I needed this

Fucking lol this is actually a good idea

Fucking yes man. Do you still feel as motivated about work though? Or does the comfort take over...

Do both at the same time you retard.

If that was an option I would have already taken it. It requires that you be available for calls at certain times.

450 a month? 2300 after 8 years. You are getting fucked mate.

So just take the phone calls in a discreet and professional manner. If the lower-paying company really has a problem with it, then let them fire you.

I started at 16 with not even high school qualifications man.

but you're not that anymore.

Lead dev means £35k+. Ask for more money or leave. They will likely give you more money. Just make sure the threat of leaving is genuinely so they know you dgaf

Not him but in UK they don't give a fuck. Most wont even consider your arse if you've got no degree.

Take home after just taxes for £28kpa is roughly $22,580 USD. How's that?

Just make sure the job that directly follows it contrasts greatly. Like it's clear you needed so much more than the wordpress gig.

Now I know why your called yurpoors. All your shit is expensive as fuck too, what is exactly the meaning in continuing to live in such deprived stagnant nanny states? You're not even white cultural paradise you used to be, all major European attraction zones and cities are third world ghettos.

Attached: 1548405195651.jpg (412x519, 61K)

>Fucking yes man. Do you still feel as motivated about work though? Or does the comfort take over...
I stay motivated to work because I work on projects that I'm genuinely interested in. Plus, it's a nice work/life balance, so I'm motivated to do the work required to maintain this lifestyle.

TRUE i will move to poland to live among whites all these countries turned to shit

>moving east of the Berlin wall
Lmao.

make sure to setup a proxy on your own network for the chinks to VPN through, to avoid link related
bbc.com/news/technology-21043693

Attached: Outsource.png (654x430, 116K)

Holy shit. Once you have the offer on the table, you tell your employer that you have another offer, but don't tell them how much. Only (maybe) stay if they beat that offer.

Replacing you will be expensive amd have tons of "hidden" costs. If they have any idea what they are doing, they know that even a significant raise is better in the long run.

I make a comparable amount as a grad student in a low COL area, LEAVE NOW.

>£28K
How are you still working there? Get out pronto, I'm currently an intern making that much and haven't even graduated yet. You're meant to be averaging at least 50% more than that, at LEAST.