/fglt/ - Friendly GNU plus Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

News: mageia.org/en/ v7rc released

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #

Previous thread:

Attached: 1F814D0E-4682-4556-8E98-135D66AB2E3A.jpg (749x749, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/788935/
wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/File-Systems.html
ix.io/1L3b
linuxreviews.org/HarmoniKR
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can i use stretch backports on buster? the package i need is only in sid and stretch backports

(OP)
I followed the gentoo wiki line by line for WPA_supplicant, but it still reads "Could not get status from WPA_supplicant" when I run WPA_GUI even in root. It might be the "bzless /usr/share/doc/${P}/wpa_supplicant.conf.bz2 > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf", where I get " bad substitution " when I replace the P with the number version of wpa_supplicant. What am I even supposed to do.

Bad idea. Buster haven’t been released yet right? So just use Sid or manually install the package from sid on buster.
You can also manually install it in /usr/local

First thing is to try another card or change the access point configs. Your driver might be being gay.

What's a good systemtray for windowmaker on slackware?

if it asks me to install dependencies should i try the package from stretch-backports instead? not by adding stretch-backports to my repos but just the 1 package.

Probably won’t make much difference.

no

Why not?

How do we end oppression of G/LFS (GNU/Linux Free Software) minorities?

Genocide them. Can't oppress what doesn't exist.

Does anyone know if there's work being done to make dnf faster on Fedora? I'm mainly talking about tab autocomplete freezing the whole terminal for a few seconds. It's fucking horrible and there are tons of reports about it.

How do i use firejial to point to a seperate profile dir?
So i have .local/share/program/user1 and user2 each having their own login thats seperate between each session

guix

Is there anything in particular to recommend about Mageia?

anyone familiar with libreboot grub configuration? I am increasingly annoyed that the 'default' config my x200 shipped with can't seem to boot many different distros (mainly non-debian-based ones)

By changing the access point config, you mean by changing the settings in the kernel config? Sorry, I'm new to gentoo and setting up the DE and installing and configuring programs has been a lot more difficult than installing the distro itself.

Stop supporting corporate projects. Start supporting community projects.
lwn.net/Articles/788935/
"The relationship between SUSE and the openSUSE community is currently under discussion as the community considers different options for how it wants to be organized and governed in the future. Among the options under consideration is the possibility of openSUSE setting up an entirely independent foundation, as it seeks greater autonomy and control over its own future and operations."

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king..jpg (300x300, 13K)

>i dont like how things are happening
>fork project and do them your way
OR
>i dont like how things are happening
>go on the internet and bitch from your chair and no progress with happen

INSTALL OPENSUSE

Weird, mine was able to boot ubuntu and then parabola without a hitch. Don't think I messed with it to get it to work either.

funny how opensuse community remains perhaps the most independent and freest user-maintained project among biggest linux names. Fedora, ubuntu, no thanks, fuck off.

Which shell and ARM or AMD64?

holy shit, Mint's repository search on the official site is the worst thing I've seen in years
are there better search pages for linux mint packages

Cheers man

if you dont use arch or debian you are a smoothbrain pleb

t. smoothbrain pleb

stalonetray

Noob here. What are the pros/cons of Mint vs OpenSUSE vs Fedora?

I found the problem. My CONFIG_MATCH_IFACE=m when it is supposed to be CONFIG_MATCH_IFACE=yes. Do I solve this with menuconfig?

Is there a point on installing putty when based Powershell comes with ssh?

Attached: a0ab83adf5f8340608b867e5bc732827.jpg (2026x2865, 514K)

Have recently installed GNU Guix on my machine and for the life of me I can't figure out how to automatically mount a drive at boot. I've tried the usual way (/etc/fstab) but it doesn't work.
I've been looking for the "Guix Configuration file" whatever that is. Can someone give some pointers?

Give me some more suggestions of 2 piped commands with no additional arguments than
ls | cat
pls

if you're asking this question, it doesn't matter. the differences are mostly superficial anyway desu if you want to get development work done they will all be fine

It's implausible it's in stretch-backports and Sid but not buster.
In any case you might be better off just building a backport for buster from sid.

wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

Just download the DSC from sid instead of testing. It's rather easy all things considered.

In our system config, under operating-system you should have file-systems
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/File-Systems.html

OpenSUSE is basically a distribution by and for autistic Germans using KDE.

Wait, just to be clear, you're using Guix System right? If you're running Guix on top of a different distro then you should solve this issue the way you normally would on your distro and it would have nothing to do with Guix at all.

I just installed GuixSD today so I'm not 100% sure yet what all of my config is doing but it gave me a fully functioning luks encrypted install so maybe it'll help: ix.io/1L3b - I recommend just reading and re-reading the docs, they're pretty detailed.

Putty does more than just SSH you know.

stop memeing people into using guix

pls respond

>with no additional arguments than
I don't think that's correct english.

Pure Guix

Guys i fell for the arch linux meme after the antergos shit, i fucking hate it. the installation went very smoothly (a part from getting wifi to work before and after the live image) i installed bspwm and after a week of tinkering, i still didn't get shit to work.

I finally got fonts to actually look good yesterday, i still don't have a good way to language input, i can't get my touchpad to work, my polybar is half working (i can't get the nm-network and nm-language(?) to work) there's just a lot of shit missing from my system, i kind of broke it a couple days ago but it was just a conf file in xinit.

what do Jow Forums? this just seems unproductive and i want to actually get shit done, should i just get kde or gnome or something? will that make shit easier?
at least i'm learning a little about my system now

that's it. I am done with this board. I have never seen a greater demographic of overweight neurotypicals than this place
>ask question
>"HURR DURR THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR GRAMMAR/WHY DON'T U JUST INSTALL GENTOO?!"

>I want to get shit done
Them why the fuck are you using a meme distro?

Your question is nonsensical. Are you ok?

I didn't knew that it's a meme distro D: hence the "i fell for the meme"

You do realize that because of this wrong grammer that your question doesn't make any logical sense and thus cannot be answered, right?

Which one of these is the most lightweight WM?
>IceWM
>Fluxbox
>JWM

Attached: 1558781705172.png (1686x1440, 324K)

I get all this, but I don't know where the system config is.

I don't know where the installer puts it by default. You just put it anywhere you want when you do a manual installation.
But it should be somewhere in /etc. Try finding it with:
>find /etc -name '*.scm'

just use manjaro, the only bad thing about it is the shit logo

>the only bad thing about it is the shit logo
Yeah, this is why fglt is always flooded by manjarofag with their ultra trivial problems or shit that doesn't exist for every other distro. because the only thing bad about it is the logo.

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

I haven't updated my kernel in a year and a half.
I'm using Arch and I can't boot with any kernel more recent than 4.13.12-1. If I pick anything newer in grub it hangs on
Loading initial ramdisk...
I've tried changing the hooks and modules in the ramdisk with mkinitcpio. I've tried alternative kernels like lts and zen. I've tried something about adding logging with grub commands (I forget what, it was months ago). Nothing different happens.
Anyone know what else I can try? Or do I just live with it until I can be fucked to upgrade my otherwise functional toaster?

Compile a custom kernel? Unless you have a setup that requires initramfs because separate /usr, encryption etc. just can just include your storage controller in the kernel and boot without initramfs.
It's not that hard, just a bit time consuming (for the first time).

I'll try that, thanks. How do I know what I need to compile into the kernel? "Your storage controller" doesn't mean much to me.

nigger you use Arch and doesn't fucking know what a storage controller is?
Holy shit.

Why would I? I've never dicked around with the kernel before. I can guess it's a kernel module for accessing drives from the name, but that doesn't help me compile it into the kernel.

remove 'quiet' parameter and then see what gets printed

he means include your storage controller module (driver) in your kernel image itself, rather than as a module
if you include what is required to access and mount root into your kernel image, you don't need an initramfs

That was one of the things I tried. Nothing else was printed.
I understand that. What I don't know is how to find what storage controller I'm using and how to compile it in.

>I understand that. What I don't know is how to find what storage controller I'm using and how to compile it in.
one way is to just extract your initramfs and look in it's modules folder

That doesn't seem reliable - there's stuff like 'floppy' in there, and I haven't had a floppy drive in over a decade.
I supposed I could just include them all anyway and worry about extras if it actually works.

make sure you're extracting the normal one, not the 'fallback' one, the fallback includes a lot more stuff, not relevant to your current machine

Yes, that was the regular one. I checked the other in case something had got mixed up, but that had 400 modules rather than 40.

For what purpose?

not sure why yours includes a floppy module, it won't hurt anything though

posted this in tpg but no answers, i'm trying to get an egpu setup working with a corebooted (seabios payload) x230 (16gb ram), I got it working on a windows partition with a DSDT override, but when I boot arch with it connected i get a black screen with the cursor flashing, looking at dmesg, it says the PCI i/o allocation is invalid and doesn't load the nvidia driver, if I change to 1gb ram then echo 1 > remove the pci device and echo 1 > rescan, modprobe nvidia loads the driver, anyone have any ideas to get it working with 16gb? tried booting with pci=noCRS in kernel params

So I'm having this little problem with cpu governors or whatever. The policy and the governers are set perfectly but the cpu frequency still drops down to the lowest fucking value.
This is only when on battery (yes, this is a laptop). And this also happens even when the cpu load should be high (like when I'm using a web browser or an ide).
Can someone help me with this? I don't know what to change anymore.
Is it a hardware problem?

Attached: fuck-my-cpu.png (668x181, 26K)

Ran guix system reconfigure, getting this error:
symlink: Permission denied: "/var/guix/profiles/system-4-link.new

>guix system reconfigure /path/to/your/system/config.scm

I did that.

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be "other than"
Basically he just wants tips on useful pipe combinations where either command doesn't require arguments. Either someone new to shell scripting or it's an assignment question.

How can I check if a link is up or down on Linux/FreeBSD? I have two providers, the first on em1 and the second on em2 on pfSense. I want a simple command just to check if I have internet connection/the link is up through each connection, preferably with a response of '1' or '0', 'UP' or 'DOWN', etc. Can this be done with ping or fping? If so, how? I don't have much of a clue as what to do.

You're running it as root right?

Literally the first result in a web search.

sudo works, right?

Yes, but personally I still like to actually switch to root (sudo -i) for major operations like those involving package management. There's subtle differences in env vars and such.
No offense, but are you sure you want to be using guix system before getting more experience first?
It's cool if you do, just know that guix is pretty difficult to grasp (conceptually and functionally) even for more advanced users.

I made a script that use commands known only because they are included on my path via the .profile
The thing is that I would like to call it from a cron, which doesn't source that file and don't know those commands.
Is there a way to source it ?
If I try doing a source /path/to/.profile, it creates a new bash session whenever I run it manually.
Any idea ?

I installed Debian XFCE. When I open Thunar file manager new window by shortcut Ctrl+N it opens exactly on top of previous window. How to make it appear not exactly/completely on top of previously opened window?

Attached: Dolls_House_1202.jpg (300x300, 141K)

Liliput and Blefuscu.

I've had experience with other distros in the past, so nothing is too alien.
one last question: I can't seem to run the final command (herd restart) what service do I need to restart in order to finish the upgrade?

GNU/Linux*

It already takes care of it all. That's just a message it prints out as a just-in-case it fails to automatically start/restart/stop the necessary services you can do it manually.
I've never had to do it though.

Install HarmoniKR
linuxreviews.org/HarmoniKR

It's the Korean Linux OS

Attached: [4K] 160306 여의도 우주소녀 (WJSN, Cosmic Girls) 팬사인회 성소 직캠 by Spinel.webm (842x720, 2.56M)

thank you.

Botnet

Attached: 1559829999399.png (1280x532, 161K)

dumb phoneposter

dumb spyware shill

Neurotypical means non-autistic or non-retarded.

anything | more
anything | less

How do I improve the font rendering on Qutebrowser? I installed Noto Sans CJK fonts and set the fonts to Noto family but it still looks bad compared with Firefox.

I've already searched for this before and didn't find a solution. I only want to monitor if my internet link is up or down, but ifconfig says it's up no matter if I have connection or not, even if I disconnect the cable it says it's up and active.
The only thing I need is monitor the link through Zabbix. I can already monitor the traffic (through LLD), but I don't know how to monitor the link status.

Attached: a.png (1374x768, 94K)

Stop using Google

Attached: are you satisfied now you fucking gay nigger.png (1374x736, 142K)

stop using windows