CS degree requires Vector Calculus

>CS degree requires Vector Calculus
Isn't this useless in CS?

Attached: 1539187873886.png (447x437, 307K)

multivariate calculus is just an IQ test that's part of getting any non-meme degree, stop whining you little bitch

This is just sad.

>Isn't this useless in CS?
Yes, my school only requires Calc I, II and stats and I never used any of these.

FPBP

This is why I dropped out of college. Fuck those kikes and math fags for trying to make you jump through pointless bullshit hoops to get your degree. If I want to to take a math course I'll be a math major you fuckwits, stop trying to shove yourself into other programs just because not enough people are taking your classes and you need the money.

>Vector Calculus
the fuck school you go to? only calc 3, DiffEQ, and Linear algebra here.

It's probably useful in gamedev. Also like other user said, it's a course to filter out the low IQ or undisciplined.

calc 3 is often referred to as vector calc

Game dev does require a strong math background. At least vector calculus, linear algebra, and physics.

its a casual filter

>Base deep learning and a lot machine learning

Math is necessary for higher level programming, only kiddie shit like web devs don't need it. Kill yourself brainlet.

Attached: 1410236731696.png (186x186, 3K)

Vector calc is by far the easiest in the standard "differential calc -> integral calc -> sequences and series -> vector calc" track if you aren't retarded and could do the first two fine.

I hate seeing faggots complain about math in CS as if a CS degree is the same as a software engineering degree. High level CS and functional languages are just a coat of paint over category theory. If you can't sleepwalk through vector calc you are fucked if they start talking about monoids or optics.
t. Guy who didn't take abstract algebra and is about to get long dicked by a programming language theory final tomorrow.

>wants to work with super advanced computers
>fails at literal arrows
lmao

Vector calc is literal fucking brainlet tier and if you want to do fucking anything with machine learning at all what so ever, you need to be able to do vector calc and basic linalg in your sleep. If you don't like the idea of taking vector calc, you won't like a lot of your upper division courses.

>his school doesn't offer a BA in CS which requires basically no math to graduate
cringe

>BA in CS
>BA
Yikes

>muh discrete and calc level 10 are an integral parts of teh programming
Funny how you say that and then proceed to crap out horrendous code.
Yeah if I ever decide to finish my degree I'm going to do it at a college that doesn't make you take discrete or higher.

why are you complaining, it's the easiest shit

>can't learn basic mathematics
you aren't gonna make it.

wtf is vector calc

If you can't do algebra you have no place on a software engineering team.

have fun not being abet accredited, faggots.

>BA
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm talking about discrete and calc 2+ you idiot.

linear algebra still algebra frand

Vectors, Matrices are some of the most interesting courses of CS. If you have difficulty calculating the distance of a point to a line you should probably quit.

Why would it be?

Any form of basic graphics or modeling of geometry and you need more than that

I only have a BSc and work with process automation. Had to get graduate text books just to get ahead

prerequisites are just a way of charging someone 3x more than the degree they want to do

I mean, I agree I guess. But, the maths specific to high level programming are much harder than calculus. only requiring calculus is a blessing really.

Pretty much why I'm getting a certificate instead. It's literally just the degree with all the bullshit trimmed off, at the expense of not being able to say you have a degree in ____.

Am I the only one who chose CS mostly because they liked math?

Attached: 1559852368.gif (462x554, 171K)

just go waste money at a jabbascript bootcamp then, brainlet

You're happy to pay extra just because the college felt they could get away with tacking on those requirements without driving down demand -- so who, really, is the brainlet?

This is one of the most brainlet posts I've ever read. You don't program just to program when you have a job, you are actually working with things in the real world. Anything with statistics or data analysis needs calculus. Anything where you are working on any physical process or engineering type thing is going to require calculus, they won't even consider you if you dont know it. Data science and machine learning are literally just calc and statistics. You need discrete to work with algorithms regarding graphs. All the theoretical stuff in CS is high level catagorey theory. Databases require a good understanding of set theory. Graphics and games is all calc and linalg. Not knowing math pretty much limits you to webdev and piping data between shit for your smarter coworkers that know the math. Writing nice code is worthless if 80% of the problems in your field are intractable to you. You don't strictly need math to program, but a programmer competent in math is so much more fucking useful that you'd be stupid not to learn math

if it is in your abilities to get the CS degree then it should be available to work toward, alone. and if it isn't actually certification of CS competence, if people think "oh but he doesn't have a vector calculus degree so he's incompetent", then that's a failing of the CS curriculum.

University is free in first world countries :)

your time, however, is not

I [spoiler]enjoy[/spoiler] learning things

>I can write shitty code because I so smaht XD
Mathfags, ladies and gentlemen.

>complaining about math classes that will literally make you smarter
>not complaining about the diversity elective classes that are filled with feminist/SJW garbage
Just a normal day on the 'chans I see

>attempting to spoiler on Jow Forums
leave tourist

grrr someone is complaining about having to jump through hoops and pay for the privilege... but what about feminists???

A guy who writes shitty code that solves a problem is worth infinitely more than the guy who writes nice code but can't solve shit. Either way someone who knows programming language theory can write way fucking nicer code than someone who doesn't.

>Isn't this useless in CS?
It's useful for AI and graphics, I suppose you go to a school that offers these courses, right?

>take vector calc with engineer friend because you need it here for some cs options
>we both fuck around and don't go to class
>fail accordingly
>the hard cs options (AI, security and shit) need vector calc
>the easy ones (webdev and business systems) don't need it
Do I take the shitty easy options so I don't have to do vector calc again? I fucking hate math

multi variable calc

lots of upset hobbyist programmers in this thread

A lot of fields in computer science research require a high level understanding of mathematics. It's why those fields get dominated by math majors with postgraduate cs degrees.
Your school just figures it should equip you for every possibility.

lmao this literal brainlet calling other people idiots

>ITT lazy faggots who should go flip burgers because they aren't cut out for any level of abstract thinking

It's a dumb filter, I've been a software developer for 10 years, I make software for private businesses across a number of industries. My job involves primarily requirements gathering, planning, architecture, design, testing, code reviews, and writing code sometimes. In my experience when it comes to design and actually writing code, there is zero math involved unless your app's business logic involves math. For most business apps, the focus for design is maintainability and testability. It's more important for your code to be easy to read and modify than anything else.

lol ive been a programmer in "real" languages for years and havent done any high level math, youre getting memed by kikes who want to take more college tuiton money from you and make you take pointless classes

what certificate? im interested in this as well

you should really just re-enrol into software-engineering or do programming in an IT degree
No place for retards who rather then learn mathematics confine themselves to coding.
Stop dragging everyone down with you

the math is for people that aspire to be more than a crud monkey

cope. all programming jobs are monkey tier. upper management is where the chads are

computer science has nothing to do with programming, you're thinking of software engineering.

LOL, imagine being this much of a faggot. Where I'm from, not only did I have to take vector calculus, but also "standard" calculus (integrals, derivatives, what have you), algebra, analytic geometry, physics and chemistry and even fucking epistemology before seeing a single CS-related thing. American education is a fucking joke kek.

you thought that CS is ricing distros and posting screenshots.
get fucked, now.

It's literally the basis of a good amount of numerical analysis results, basic ML theory, and a fuckton of CS theory, geometry, etc. I don't understand why you code monkeys are so easily slain by these basic bitch courses; they're literally background knowledge to do the interesting stuff. Muh comfy codemonkey job building CRUD apps may not entail more than the occasional addition operation here and there, but move aside for the people doing work in actual CS (that is, hardcore theory or hardcore systems, none of this trivial entry level software dev work)
t. TCS researcher

>t. full stack developer

when will you realise that you are doing a coding camp graduate's job?

Vector Calculus is only useful for like 0.01% of jobs like ML stuff and even then these don't use too much math, tensorflow abstracts all that away anyway, I'm a DevOps person, and before this I did database development. I have never done math for my job. I write code/scripts for infrastructure automation, building, deploying, and logging, and none of that really requires math.

It's useful for nontrivial CS, not codemonkey "industry software solution" work

Many years later, OP goes for his PhD since he wants big bucks in CS research (since lots of funding goes into that research over other traditional fields).
>His professor starts class: "Okay, we're gonna examine some canonical results from Fourier analysis on the boolean cube. You guys should recognize this from basic communication complexity"
>user: "hurr this is useless, hurr muh tensorflow, muh comfy desktop threads, muh CRUD, muh software solutions, I'm a real engineer guys"

Sure, that's why it was useful for a huge minority, it's cute seeing you guys who have no idea about the real world, most of this stuff doesn't involve any kind of math whatsoever, the most math I've ever used was some trigonometry to align some labels diagonally.

>no idea about the real world
I always see stuff like "the real world" hurled at me and anyone who appreciates theory. Theory researchers are not some ivory tower shut ins...the overwhelming majority of even the most theoretical results are usually motivated very strongly by a practical problem. Sure, the transdichotomous model doesn't add much to the programmer's toolkit, but something like the extensive proof as to WHY the Four Russians works is important because it demonstrates exactly why you can have tabled queries in linear time, which is ridiculously important in the field
>the most math I've ever used was some trigonometry to align some labels diagonally
See what I said earlier in A lot of interesting software engineering jobs are out there in cryptography, in scientific computing, in real time systems, and of course the entire field of industry research in CS dealing with all the math. Just because your job uses babyshit like trig does not mean the world runs on simple shit. Somebody had to write the real time code that interfaces with the physical components under hard constraints.

>but something like the extensive proof as to WHY the Four Russians works is important because it demonstrates exactly why you can have tabled queries in linear time, which is ridiculously important in the field
Do you prove that every time? most working developers don't apply actual math to optimizing code. It's more intuitive than that. You can remove unnecessary nested loops, optimize database queries, and use the right data structure for the task at hand even if you can't do the math behind those optimizations.

Hey Joey

>Unironically this. I'm a self taught developer, but I've spent considerable time outside of work filling in gaps in my knowledge that college grads have.

The theory and math required to pass a Google-level interview can be learned outside of college. "Big O" becomes very important for interview questions, as does a thorough understanding of how it relates to algorithm design and data structures, all of these are easy to self-study.

Calculus is a useful hoop. Feminism isnt.

>getting stuck in the plebfilter

Attached: 1546647486081.jpg (524x468, 51K)

>my shit uni didnt have linear algebra
where do I learn it by myself online?

>Do you prove that every time?
???
You prove it and publish it, the research teams in the industry read it, and they get the engineering team to put it in (at the very least, with the clients I've collaborated with). My advisor works with like 2 companies on algorithms that scale relating to online algorithms and cache oblivious problems, which is really important when you have something like running a series of promises for a million clients online (online in the sense you cannot examine any optimal solutions a priori, you have to try and make everyone happy the best you can given some cache model). The proof is important because it's usually constructive, which informs the actual method you'd use in practice (as well as demonstrating that it actually fucking works)
>most working developers don't apply actual math to optimizing code. It's more intuitive than that.
The crypto people I've worked with use a good amount of math to optimize their code. Theorists who write research code in the industry have to do the derivation and optimization by hand before writing it. I'm claiming that such things happen at the design steps when you do nontrivial projects. You don't really understand the nature of math and math research in CS

MIT OCW is your best bet. Basic linear algebra is easy as shit
proof based linear algebra is very nifty (use linear algebra done right and/or Friedman's book)
Both are indispensable when it comes to graphics processing

So in other words it's useless except for like 1 or 2 electives. If I don't intend to take any of these then why the fuck is required for everyone

It's not useless in the field. It's useless if your goal is basic bitch software engineering, but for nontrivial work, it's actually pretty crucial. They ask people to do it for the same reason they make engineering students do Fourier theory even though not everyone is gonna do communications and signal processing: its because you enrolled in a fucking stem degree and need to learn the most basic foundations of the field. It could be useful later on if you pursue interesting canonical shit in the field as a scientific field and even in some engineering work.

Stop being that kid in the back of the middle school classroom in math class saying "reeeeee when am I EVER gonna use this?" You only look like a baby

Also, such things go beyond the basic classes. It's in the field at large.

>Do you prove that every time
You don't learn math only to prove things, you prove it in class so you understand the "why" and then you figure out the real world consequences.
>It's more intuitive than that
It's not about optimizing the line by line, it's about things like algorithm development and figuring out the fastest way to accomplish a result.
As a really basic example, the intuitive developer can compute the n'th fibbonacci number in O(n). A dev competent in math can figure out how to do it in O(1) given 20 minutes. It doesn't matter how fast you make your code or how good your data structures are if your algorithm is exponential while some other guy found an optimization in the math of the algorithm that let's it run in O(n^3). For sone less trivial examples, the kernel trick is a massive mathematical optimization for an entire class of machine learning techniques and is an entirely mathematical rerepresentation of the initial problem, or the guy who wrote grep understood automota theory math really well and wrote a program magnitudes faster than the most optimized intuitive approach. Chances are that unless you only do really fucking trivial stuff, you bump in to problems that have that level of mathematical optimization available all the time without realizing it because you have no idea what you're looking at.

actually is the other way around, you learn programming so you can understand math.

but this is why college is fucking retarded nowadays. I want to do software engineering/coding as a future job,why the fuck can't I just focus all in on shit I'll actually have to use on my job, why waste time on stupid shit like history,circuits classes, when I can just dedicate that time to improve my software skills. What a scam

>why the fuck can't I just focus all in on shit I'll actually have to use on my job
They make more money that way. Simple as that. Colleges will accept any level of bullshit class as long as it bloats the curriculum so they can show off all the classes they offer.

And then you freak out and don't know what to do when C++ and the ilk start incorporating lambdas and non-mathlets start using them

truth is once you get an internship you can get promoted and they dgaf if you actually finish college
hard to get an internship unless you're already in college, however

>i saw an inductive proof for fibonacci numbers in class therefore everything has a closed form solution that can be found in 20 minutes

Attached: keklul.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Because pointers, recursion, and calculus are key components to fizzbuzz out people who hurt the rigor of the degree and program

t. can't do a triangle fill

*anyone* could go on wikipedia and see that the fibonacci recursion has an analytic solution
I agree people should learn about time and space complexity, but knowing math has helped me little. For instance I implemented FFT in Lisp before knowing jack shit about complex numbers, just used my experience in programming itself and followed what the book told me.

This. OP confirmed for getting BTFO'd in upper level courses. Plus vector calc isn't even that hard.

>third semester math course
>upper level

Vector calculus is there to filter out brainlets away from computer science. Too many math morons today.

Better include a YMMV there friend. Vector calc was the hardest math class I ever had to take and I majored in ME.

>Data science and machine learning are literally just calc and statistics
This is only half-true... the calc part of ML is literally the most boring part, and the field is quickly being split up into software engineering (aka 95% of the actual problem-solving) and applied math (i.e. "call in a math geek when you have a new and hard optimization problem to solve").

At the end of the day, all of this shit turns into linear algebra, so if you can get your head around doing complex multidimensional matrix multiplications you're golden. For almost everything else any interesting problems are probably going to be intractable for all but the most trivial cases.

>what are graphics

Something most programmers will never work with in their careers
OP is a moron though calculus 3 should not be difficult to any competent student.

General recurrences like the Fibonacci are pretty trivial to put into closed form if you understand anything about diagonalization of matrices. All you do is get an integer formula with small irrational corrections because it’s basically it’s two approximations multiplied together that end up giving you a discrete number (I believe it’s sqrt(5) for correction in Fibonacci). Diagonalizing a system based on the recursive definition of the sequence gives you what you need.

So yes, if you know what to look out for, you can do it in 20 minutes.

Are you under the impression that the only recurrence relations that exist are linear?

>Game dev does require a strong math background
lol no

>but this is why college is fucking retarded nowadays
you're the one complaining about the rigor and actually learning nontrivial stuff that actually teaches you how to solve problems, not how to do tech support when you need to look up solutions
>I want to do software engineering/coding as a future job,why the fuck can't I just focus all in on shit I'll actually have to use on my job
what sort of job? Look, if you wanted to write basic database query code, "satisfy client requests", and make incredibly basic shit that basically involves plugging and chugging basic bitch software patterns, then be my guest. But this is the shit you learn by yourself, is readily available on the internet, and is shown on your resume. It's not experience you can gain in class.
>why waste time on stupid shit like history,circuits classes, when I can just dedicate that time to improve my software skills. What a scam
Drop out of the CS program. Deadbeats like you are the people who give CS the bad name for being engineering lite. The people who complain constantly about the basic shit that's actually important in computer science: read, you signed up for a CS degree, not a "hurr give me classes about pushing the buttons i need for my comfy 100k start job, i just want basic skills i can learn by myself and pay thousands of dollars just to learn how to type on a keyboard" degree. Software skills are shit you learn on your own or in groups. Work on that in your own time. CS as a field, even in undergrad, is about CS as an academic field, and even then, most programs water that shit down to suit brainlets like you.
Kindly fuck off from the program and rot in the deadend trivial node.js trend. you'll have saved a couple thousand dollars by the end of it

The proper statement:
Writing game development tools and backends like physics simulation, animation / graphics interfaces, game logic resolutions, etc. takes a lot of mathematical and physics background. Graphics as a field spans everything from diff geo to comp. topology.