/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 will released on 7/7/2019; they will likely match or beat Intel's offerings in all categories. High performance Navi graphics cards will be released later in July. More Navi news at E3.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/dp/B07MJWPSCY
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ln3dBb
newegg.com/arctic-cooling-acfan00090a-case-fan/p/N82E16835186198?Description=arctic fan&cm_re=arctic_fan-_-35-186-198-_-Product
newegg.com/p/1YF-000P-000J0?Description=arctic fan&cm_re=arctic_fan-_-1YF-000P-000J0-_-Product
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HhGMjy
pcpartpicker.com/list/vq7BMZ
amd.com/en/product/8456
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whoops, meant to amend the announcement to
>ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 will released on 7/7/2019. High performance Navi graphics cards will be released later in July. More Navi news at E3.

>8700K
are these even available still?

dang was gonna buy this to use with the 3600x when it drops but apparently it leaks? if so, does anyone have any reccs for a £60~ AESTHETIC AIO or should I just build one myself?

Just buy a NH-D15S and stop being a zoomer faget.

How are the AMDGPU drivers for RX 570 on linux? I might get amazon.de/dp/B07MJWPSCY for my host machine and wait until Navi to buy a second better gpu for passthrough to a Windows vm

Buy a 2060 or wait and see WTF team green announces next week?

Attached: 1538397572528.jpg (754x1158, 85K)

Forgot to mention, 34 UW 1440p with g-sync.

Yeah, though generally not cheap enough to bother getting over the 9700k

I'm a sucker for real cores, i was never a fan of hyper threading to begin with.

Attached: 2019-06-06 13_43_31.png (1426x302, 256K)

sorry, im a slave to aesthetics

Non-K for 300USD and unlocked for 350USD from newegg. If you're buying unlocked, may as well get the 9700K

You're better off asking in >>>/flt/

Wait

Europeans just confirmed for shit taste is all. They sold out within 2 months in America.

All AIOs are shit. Why would cheap ones be any less shit?

Even if they were, you shouldn't buy them or any Intel CPU with 7/7 only a month away.
Only people who can afford a $2000+ build with a 2080ti need even consider a 9700k or 9900k, and there's unlikely any situation where they absolutely must buy before 7/7.

been saving up for that sweet 3600. That's why I'm going to buy the Mortar Titanium. MSI is the only manufacturer with a white board right?

pretty much everyone makes white mobos but the b450 is the best budget mobo out there

does Asrock have one in handy?

Also, I'll be pairing the old R3 1200 with an old GT730, my mom will be inheriting it. Would it be okay?

idk just check
also that combo should allow your mother to fuck about on pintrest
im giving my 2400g to my brother

whats a good

don't worry, she just watches goo(k)-drama at

It's either ugly mesh box, glass fashion case or solid steel monolith, pick your poison.

They work, and better than the proprietary ones these days, AMD is pretty much deprecating the amdgpu-pro proprietary driver and upstreaming everything. Which is nice of them.

You will, however, want to run a current kernel. I had a problem with Debian testing (4.19) where my monitor and my card (an Asus 1440p Freesync screen and an Asrock 570, respectively) didn't like each other. X had some conniptions and there was corruption on one edge of the screen. When I booted Arch (5.1) that went away. If you don't run a bleeding-edge distro you'll want to use whatever your equivalent of Debian backports is to run a mainline kernel (and possibly mesa and some other stuff as well)

Note that although the driver is free you still need a firmware blob. So it's not nearly as bad as it is with Nvidia, but it's not Stallman-grade perfect.

bitfenix shinobi
cheap
solid build structure
nice blend of mesh and panels
great airflow if you install some fans
and most importantly aesthetic as fuck
it even has an option for a clear sidepanel if you're into that sort of thing

Attached: shinobi-l-6.jpg (1280x1024, 117K)

There were some white x570 boards shown. The new pro4 looks nice.
As far as b450 boards, the mortar titanium is one of the best mATX boards.

ASUS new revised TUF is good but it's not white.

What are some suggestions for case fans you guys could recommend?

And don't say Noctua because I'm not about to put those ugly fucking fans in my sacred case

Attached: 1543693364275.png (270x321, 42K)

weird things are happening to my computer. for example, right now as I type this the text is appearing slower than my keystrokes and the whole page is moving like it has less frames than usual.

one of the games I play completely runs like shit now, while others that are just as performance heavy run just fine

does anyone know whats happening

also my computer is like 8-10 years old which is probably a factor, but I don't know what exactly is failing

noctua is coming out with black fans
bequiet is almost noctua tier and has black fans too

Sounds like your hard drive failing, your RAM getting faulty, or your CPU is dying.

You should try running a memtest.

>mortar titanium
What case?

I give up bros
I'm gonna buy an xbox huge noctua

Noctua Redux or Noctua Chromax, fag.

I tried them in 2017 and they were great.
Apparently even better now with Freesync support, and HDR here or coming, etc.

Shit airflow

As much as I hate bottom PSU shrouds, or bottom PSU in general, the Meshify C.
You can get Jonsbo cases from aliexpress, but good luck not having the tempered glass break in shipping.

Arctic 120mm PWM fans are 95% as good and quiet as Noctua and you can get 5 of them for the cost of 1 Noctua fan.

>bottom PSU in general
Wut

Bottom mounted PSUs became common for a reason.

You don't want a top heavy case.

I don't use a mortar.
But I used a Meshify Fractal Design mesh or whatever the fuck it's called.

I'll look into arctic

Is it better to get case fans with less fins or more fins? I don't actually know what the difference is.

Reinstall windows, install drivers

>Arctic 120mm PWM fans are 95% as good and quiet as Noctua
Stop being so dumb. They are cheap, they sound cheap and they look cheap. Those 5 fans won't last even as long as the 6 year warranty on 1 Noctua. Don't even get me started on the utter garbage PWM range.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ln3dBb
Will Ripjaws V ram be able to fit under the Dark Rock Pro 4 in this build? I only have Ballistix on this list because someone in an earlier thread told me to, but it seems a bit more pricey for basically the same amount of ram.

Attached: 2EC43824-B318-4059-B219-E45EC3B980FC.png (245x280, 269K)

Like whats the difference between these two.
newegg.com/arctic-cooling-acfan00090a-case-fan/p/N82E16835186198?Description=arctic fan&cm_re=arctic_fan-_-35-186-198-_-Product

newegg.com/p/1YF-000P-000J0?Description=arctic fan&cm_re=arctic_fan-_-1YF-000P-000J0-_-Product

Also I'm convinced Noctua costs too much for it's performance, like it really doesn't sound like it's much better than a lot of fans for it's price.

>that giant tower fan for that price
Just get a 240mm AIO

Also Ballistix is top tier RAM, don't downgrade to Ripjaws.

>buy 2060, knowing that AMD will probably offer competitive, cheaper alternatives later
>NVIDIA themselves will make it obsolete in one year
I AM A KEK KILL ME

Attached: 1528934935276.jpg (220x229, 9K)

>buying new Nvidia
Come on user, at least use your brain.

I built my current pc in 2013, and made a lot of mistakes. the biggest was buying a massive tower. I want to go small this time around. like, really small. What's a good, small case to build in?

>>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
What is this bullshit? Ryzen 3000 is already known to be able to beat it. Why don't you list the 9000 series for extreme mode high fps?

Cooler mustard h500 (no letter after numbers). Best airflow in a modern case. Not expensive. Looks like something a clueless Japanese businessman designed ten years ago to appeal to 12 year olds

Nzxt h500 works surprisingly well in its default exhaust only setup. Adding intake fans will increase your temps. The Reddit aesthetic

Fractal meshify C. Decent airflow. Inoffensive aesthetics. Add an extra fan

Nothing else has decent airflow despite marketing claims. Solid front panels choke fans despite marketing claims. You get better cooling/noise by running unobstructed fans at lower rpm

Attached: G39AiD0.png (1800x850, 242K)

>need new ram
>need new motherboard to be compatible with DDR4
>need new CPU to be compatible with mobo socket
>need new case to fit the mobo and heatsink

i forgot how wild mr. bones' ride is

Because they're just copy/pasting previous PCBG threads instead of actually adding new correct information.

Someone DID change it to 9700k a month or two ago, but some retards changed it back to 8700k claiming it was better cause it had hyper threading or some other dumb autistic shit.

>HT is better for higher single core performance tasks
Who makes these threads? Jesus J. Christ.

>eh i'll get a budget GPU
>eh may as well spend £100 more for a vega 56
>eh may as well get a 1440p monitor to use with the vega 56
>eh may as well get a 3600x to go with it
>eh may as well get a noctua to cool it
>eh better get a new PSU as well
JUST

>might as well get a 2080 Ti and R9 3900X

ey,
i got Xeon W3503 for 3$, and found X58 Supermicro mobo for rougly 25$. Should i got for it and build pfSense router out of it? Would it be enough for a home office? (6 PCs, 2 TVs, console, 2 APs, some IoT stuff and 2 servers (NAS and AI server))

Attached: xeon.jpg (640x480, 40K)

I just built a new pc and did a clean install of Windows for the first time in about 10 years.

What are the best sites to torrent Office 365 and Photoshop from nowadays? I can't reach the pirate bay anymore

Attached: cgci.png (1080x1920, 2.07M)

>Office 365
LibreOffice
>and Photoshop
Paint.net

Photoshop earlier version is free, isn't it?

> I can't reach the pirate bay anymore
it didn't go anywhere

>want 9600k for classic wow (muh guherz)
>better get a good z-chipset mobo with a nice vrm so i can Max freq for a shitty 15 y/o game
>better get good memory in case there's any truth to the memory speed fud
>gotta have an nvme m2 in case i can shave seconds off the loading screens even though literally everyone will tell you it doesn't
I now realize that given the money I've poured into my z390 platform i should've gone for a 9700k

not going that far
rate my build boys
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HhGMjy

surprised a 650w psu will be able to handle everything, monitor seems dank as well

>HEDT Xeon
>router

what a horrible waste of power

you generally want to use ultra mobile CPUs or ASICs for routers, so the power draw isn't a constant 100w+ load.

Also they recently fixed the engine so it benefits from more coears rather than ghz.

Cool build, Ahmed. Might want to get a 1440Hz monitor instead of 75Hz.

I did similar.

I had actually ordered a 9600k for pickup at microcenter, but when I got there I changed it to a 9700k cause after all was said and done, I was already spending $1000, what difference was another $100-150 at that point?

Why do people feel the need to constantly upgrade their PC?

My motherboard is 10 years old and GPU 6 years old, still does everything I want.

Attached: 1558492375733.png (1010x1008, 1.53M)

Really? The latest version I used was CS4 I think. A version similar to that is free you say?
For work-related stuff I do actually need the real Office unfortunately.
>paint.net
lol no

Hey
I'm the retard that bent a dozen pins and decided to go for ryzen wihout proper research. Got a ryzen 5 2600x on a motherboard without ps2 connectors.
Is there any way to add the chipset drivers to my existent w7 without booting to it? I tried on another machine and got 0x7b. Any workaround?

some people are consumerist whores. Others just enjoy playing with tech because they have the money. If your PC does what you want it to, don't upgrade.

Unless something changed recently, CS2 is free to use. If that doesn't fit your needs, then excuse me.

>still does everything I want
Not everyone has your low standards.

I upgraded my PC because I had a 1440p 144hz monitor and my previous components weren't powerful enough to get me the framerate I wanted with the games I was playing.

If you don't need to upgrade, don't upgrade. But don't pretend everyone else is doing the same shit you're doing.

1440hz 1440p is expensive as fuck and I don't think i'd notice because I don't play fps games but I might be wrong

Thanks for the recc though Jamal Fuentes

I just bought an SSD and HDD and I'll be keeping my gtx 970 until it craps out, is this a good start for a new build? After a few more paychecks I can get some shiny new peripherals but I think that for right now everything I have should work fine.

pcpartpicker.com/list/vq7BMZ

>1440hz 1440p is expensive as fuck and I don't think i'd notice because I don't play fps games but I might be wrong
You'll notice 144hz on pretty much everything, but it's only really necessary for fast paced games.

it's still nice to have otherwise. Just not going to give you any massive advantage, it'll just be smoother. Which is always better.

>Ryzen 3000 is already known to be able to beat it
Not necessarily in gaming, we'll see. Anyway the pricing is pretty similar between the 3600 and 8700 and 3600X and 8700K. The major difference is upgrade path

More about the price difference between the 8700 and 9700K

is it worth sacrificing 5 inches of screen size and paying £100 more? Genuinely curious as I genuinely don't think I could tell the difference unless both were in front of me

>Not necessarily in gaming, we'll see.
I was talking about the pubg benchmark. I don't think games differ that much on the cpu, so we can safely assume that a golden sample heavily OC'd r5 or r7 will be best for gaming.

>we can safely assume
You can't safely assume anything from AMD's own "benchmarks".

Wait for it to actually release before making these kinds of statements, right now you're just talking out of your ass relying on biased company provided presentation slides.

>BENCHMARKS DON'T MATTER!

>we can safely assume
Nope, even by AMD's other benchmarks (in the slide with CSGO, PUBG, LoL, etc) the new CPUs might not match Intel's current in gaming. AdoredTV just ripped AMD a new asshole for not trying to take the gaming perf crown, but of course he's too stupid to understand that both Intel and AMD are hitting a clockspeed wall

>best
Of course 'best' might mean 'better considering price' but we'll have to see just how much different they actually are.

>I don't think games differ that much on the cpu
They don't, which is why the 2600X is a great CPU, because it's plenty good

No shit, these are AMD's marketing benchmarks. Likely GPU limited in the PUBG benchmarks anyway, which is a shit way to test the capabilities of a CPU

Is it worth it in to liquid cool with new tech? I have a top tier 2080Ti that boosts to 2010MHz out of the box, and intend to upgrade to the Ryzen R9-3900X. I'm fully on air cooling and it just seems like everything (sans the i9-9900k and other such nuclear furnaces) is able to reach really high boost clocks on air.

>GPU limited
Absolute brainlet detected.

or being too stupid to understand that both CPU's do things differently.

It doesn't mean that when an intel CPU domintates the competition in lower-resolution testing, automatically means that it has more headroom. It's because it specializes in utilizing its single core advantage. Basically having a GPU bottleneck means that you're good to go, with whichever you choose.

Intel and AMD solve problems differently. Intel wants to leverage its single core advantage, while AMD wants to leverage its multi-core advantage.

Idiots are being clouded by their console-war idiocy.

redpill me on x v normal ryzen models
are they worth it especially considering you have to pony up another £50 - £80 for a yuge meme cooler?

it's a different case per generation.

>1st gen
X has XFR, but no cooler for Ryzen 7
>2nd Gen
X has beefier cooler, non-X has stealth

>Why aren't people like me?
Because they are not you.

And assuming Intel gets out of the 10nm rut, They're also focusing on Multi-core advancements.

huh, interesting
so hyped to see what ryzen 3600 comes with
lets hope it costs £150 -£200

>Adored is right when hes negative of AMD

Attached: tomsintelmerchant.png (500x500, 70K)

Goddamned idiot. user wasn't saying Adored was right, he was straight up saying he has no clue.

>AMDrones can't even tell when they're replying to a fellow AMDrone.

you're wrong

>5500 people were stupid enough to buy Intel in May
That's a lot of collective buyer's remorse.

why wouldn't you get something more energy efficient for pfSense? Like holy shit 130W TDP for a dual core.

>AMD should have 5GHz because I'm a brainlet who likes how it sounds
>doesn't matter that the higher IPC means Zen2 @ 4.5GHz >= Coffinlake @ 5.1GHz
>AMD should have clocked the chips higher even though they win at lower clock speeds
I didn't even hear shit this dumb back when it was Athlon 64 vs P4. Only a brainlet would defend teh 9900k in the way they defended housefire Pentium 4s. How stupid can you be to not learn from history?

What new computer with monitor could you build for the price of one monitor stand?

BONUS POINTS: Include peripherals.

Attached: cheap.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

>That's a lot of collective buyer's remorse.
Far more than that, that source is a single german retailer.

5500 people in germany bought intel in may, and likely another 2000-3000 more from various other retailers in germany.

This isn't even going into other countries sales.

same here senpai

Attached: shilling image 02.jpg (1624x1125, 921K)

amd.com/en/product/8456
based
can't wait to finally branch into 1440p gayming

Attached: Screenshot_20190606-210042_Samsung Internet.jpg (720x1480, 160K)

Absolute moron, quit posting

>Basically having a GPU bottleneck means that you're good to go, with whichever you choose.
Agreed, but there are plenty of competitive games where you turn the vast majority of settings to Low to gain a framerate advantage (for example PUBG), so it's worthwhile to see what framerates you can achieve while not GPU limited (or as free as possible)

>Intel wants to leverage its single core advantage
Which is arguably tiny at this point, but there might be other things like latency that differ between the architectures. Additionally, some games might simply not work well on Ryzen, which has certainly been the case up until now, especially in PC-centric titles. Probably not until new consoles get Zen will the vast majority of games and engine begin to fully utilize the Zen arch

X get XFR and PBO

>AMD should have 5GHz because I'm a brainlet who likes how it sounds
Literally what AdoredTV said, not what I said, retard.

>doesn't matter that the higher IPC means Zen2 @ 4.5GHz >= Coffinlake @ 5.1GHz
We're talking about gaming here, retard. There's more to gaming than single core, for instance latency and developers playing nice with Zen

>AMD should have clocked the chips higher even though they win at lower clock speeds
>win
You got a crystal ball or something, shithead? Independent benchmarks aren't out. Again, by AMD's own benchmarks, they don't claim to be able to beat Intel.

Get fucked AMDumbo

>X get XFR and PBO
Not officially.
PBO is officially only supported on threadripper according to AMD

>PBO is officially a feature only designed for and tested with 2nd Gen Threadripper products. You may have found that some motherboard makers have experimentally exposed the feature for non-TR products, but you should know we did not define/test/deploy the feature for anything but TR.

That's directly from AMD on reddit 2 months ago.

Interesting, although it seems that most mobo manufactures implement it for X CPUs

Yup, AMD are just covering their asses and making it clear, if the motherboard decides to allow your CPU to clock beyond what it should, or to pump a dangerous amount of voltage through the chip because you've got the cooling to handle it and it fries itself, AMD aren't the ones responsible.

I tried just restarting my computer and now everything is back to normal. Before that I tried the memtest thing but it said there was no issues. I would think the memtest would detect a memory leak, and a memory leak would affect everything pretty much equally so I don't get it.

I was gifted a 2700x + motherboard, should I use that instead of my i7 8700k?

Anyone use the MSI 2080ti Ventus? It's my #1 option for my 2080ti right now.

only if you're doing something that will actually benefit from the extra threads of the Ryzen CPU.

Otherwise in most generic use-cases, the higher clocked 8700k will be better. remember, MOST things are single core oriented, or at best 4-8 cores.

So unless you're doing something that is gonna USE more than 12 threads, the 8700k is likely the best bet.