What's the best home database system that one can maintain on the local computer that doesn't run on a server?

What's the best home database system that one can maintain on the local computer that doesn't run on a server?

Currently I'm using SQLite and I understand that SQL and MySQL databases are server-based. It still feels that SQLite is outdated. Is there anything better out there?

Attached: 743174_8046_5.jpg (750x422, 34K)

Install Oracle

Attached: images (10).png (362x139, 5K)

>It still feels that SQLite is outdated
How? It's almost certainly a better solution that whatever you'd end up using

Fuck Oracle. Fuck Microsft SQL Server. Fuck IBM DB2. Use PostgreSQL or MySQL.

oracle isnt serverless pajeet

There's nothing stopping you from installing a SQL server on your home computer.

SQL Express is the standalone version of MS SQL.

not sure, I just had a feeling I would ask about different options, to not get sidelined by new technologies so to speak

thanks, I was about to ask.

Attached: xxx.png (1213x682, 76K)

no. Source: I use it at work.

What are you using it for? I doubt you'll ever get even remotely close to the hard limit of SQLite where it starts taking performance hits.

basically for very simple tables as in this pic: , its going to be mostly time series with additional information. Though the data is simple, it can likely become 100k new records per day. However, in the tables I could encode fields like "source" and "asset" to preserve space and not write out their full name.

I agree with you, but before committing to it just wanted to check whether I am completely wrong in using it (amid possibly emerging / established alternatives).

There's no committing with a database. If you ever hit a performance road block you can migrate your data to a better solution. But you won't know which solution is best for you unless you know which kind of performance hit you're taking. Will you have problem loading the data into memory? Caching problems? Writing problems? Querying problems? Unless you know what your problems are it's pointless to even think about optimizing. And when (if) the problems happen you can just migrate everything, it's the beauty of databases. You control your information and you can transform it as much as you please.

thanks a lot - that helped.

Are you tracking stock prices or something?

Run Postgres, you can do it in a Docker container. So easy there is no excuse. Don't use any windows dogshit.

yes, for some home experiments / hobby projects. there will also be model-output data though

SQLite or SQL Express
If you use visual studio, not installing SQLSE is a proactive choice. It is somewhat small and usable.

>Run Postgres
This.
Open Source.
Enterprise.
/based/

MongoDB in a virtual machine if you are using Windows 7, or in a docker container if you are using any other OS.

Attached: 1559389627319.jpg (2808x3584, 2.06M)

Is there any advantage to NoSQL at a small scale like OP?

Postgres is by far the best.

Anyone recommending some sort of nosql, what benefits does it bring over a modern file system for a small scale personal project? For a small website I get that it's easy and you get the benefit of a database that can be remote and replaceable, but if you just want to track information for yourself on your own computer, how does it do anything except add complexity over the age-old file/folder system?

NoSql is useful for when
1. Your database needs to be sharded over many servers to scale
2. Your developers are too inept to use a relational database and just store everything as JSON.

Access should be fine for someone of your caliber

Sorry I don't have MS Office installed. Also, I've found SQLite so far has been extremely easy to use / at least as easy as Access.