Is it worth it to switch completely from Windows to Linux...

Is it worth it to switch completely from Windows to Linux? I know the basics of Linux but is it really worth it to do so?

Attached: 1554861468380.jpg (250x241, 7K)

no

Not really, no.

Not really worth switching if Windows does everything you need it to do and you have no problems with it

If you can't answer that yourself, then no. Would you also decide to switch from an automatic transmission BMW to a handmade manual transmission car? Personally I would, but I also use Linux and I realized a long time ago that all I did by recommending Linux was waste people's time.

Depends.

>I know the basics of Linux but is it really worth it to do so?

Run both for a while, on the same computer or separate. Try to not use Windows. You'll know the answer to the question.

I haven't played games since Quake 2, and after I got youtube out of my system and stopped making videos with Sony Vegas, I never booted Windows again. That's the real test, do you like things that are just better under Windows.

they say linux is free if your time is worthless

no, linux is only good for underpowered hardware

yes
yes

>they say linux is free if your time is worthless

for the most part that no longer holds. Much of linux just works, except maybe wifi on some laptops, like my Toshiba where it works for an hour or three then dies, and nothing I've tried will bring it back up except a reboot. If that were my main computer it would be a deal-breaker.

no

why not just dual-boot OS's, you goober? that's what I do. I run W10, Windows Server 2012, and Kubuntu

Depends on your line of work.

If you find yourself in the need to edit M$ office documents a lot then Winblows is sadly a must. I tried to rely solely on OpenOffice (which otherwise I love) for a long time but the compatibility with Word is iffy, the formatting always gets fucked up when you open the same document in Word which I need to do for printing or sharing with coworkers.

However, if you solely use your computer for coding with no gaymen and no need to use office then you can go with Linux alone.

Myself, I've always dual booted since 2007 (now I'm running Win 8.1 + Mint + a partition for files only to access them from the different OS + a persistent live USB with Void) but I try to use Winblows as little as possible.

>no gaymen
Most of my games work fine natively or through wine/proton

is there any chance my hardware will not be compatible with linux? My computer is only a year old and it has an excellent cpu+gpu

hi

Attached: 1554841690419.jpg (200x164, 32K)

God no

Attached: 1558926862401.jpg (1171x936, 87K)

If it's a desktop it will probably be as easy to install linux as any other OS. Some laptops work perfectly. As I mentioned above, I have a relatively new and decent Toshiba laptop that sucks on linux wifi.

Nah, get a cheap thinkpad and play with Linux on different machine.

Meanwhile most supercomputers run linux

depends what you need it for. Just a Jow Forums shitposting machine? Sure why not. Need to do SolidWorks or play the latest game from the DLC machine? Probably not. Going to play Classic? Absolutely.

These days Linux is the most compatible OS. A kernel compiled with nearly all the modules like Ubuntu kernel will probably run on anything, possibly even better than windows. For example, I have a laptop that windows can't run on without special drivers for everything including the keyboard touchpad and network cards, meaning windows can only be installed with a specialized disk that has these drivers preloaded. Linux generally works on more hardware and is more likely to have generic drivers that function if specific drivers are missing or broken.

>having to edit dozens of config files to get basic programs to work

Attached: 1547863161577.jpg (960x960, 82K)

Not really, unless your computer runs like shit on windows.

We'd have to know what hardware you're talking about in order to answer that question.
But for now my answer is: it'll probably work fine.

its really fucking painful because nothing works
its like switching from windows7 to windows95 and trying to run modern software and tools

I did it and I havent had any problems. I feel more in control of my computers now.

If you have to ask then there is no reason for you.

As a Linux-autist, honest answer:

If you don't give a shit about FOSS, and/or you're just going to use a DE, no, not really. You're basically going to be getting roughly the same user experience as Windows with half of the software compatibility. This isn't -totally- the case, however--I generally find KDE to be pretty damn usable these days, and much more functional than Windows, and I generally find Linux (even with a DE) and the terminal to be -much- more flexible than Windows, but it tends to be less polished nonetheless, and if you're just a turbo norm that wants buttons to click on and shit to justwerk, stick with Windows or MacOS. On that note, if you have very specific software requirements, Linux probably isn't for you (even though it can be worked around with GPU passthrough or Wine [especially for games]).

Where Linux really shines is being able to set up an environment -precisely- how you want it and setup a workflow specifically catered to your needs. A lot of terminal-based software is exceptionally powerful and handy, and not really all that hard to learn. Tiling WMs are fantastic. You can very easily optimize and automate a lot of tasks that would otherwise be a huge pain through a GUI. If you care, you can also set up an environment that is extraordinarily low on system resources, very stable, and very fast. Lastly, as I mentioned earlier, if you have specific needs, you can pretty much always find a way to make shit work, even if it requires a little bit of elbow grease. The downside is this whole approach requires a lot more initial investment and know-how than just booting up a "WYSIWYG" OS.

>after I got youtube out of my system
so what do you do with all your free time? I just replaced it with shitposting on here.

You probably won't completely. Becoming knowledgable in Linux and using it as a daily driver for a while can be useful. There are many many systems that run Linux and need to be managed.

Make an experiment: install some stable distro that isn't too stale and try to use it exclusively as long as you can. Take notes about minor inconviniences, try to look into how using Linux can enhance your standard workflow.
If you haven't gave up before two months mark, look up your notes and ask yourself whether it's worth it or not.

Glowy ass niggers

Attached: Terryok.png (958x718, 974K)

Get a templeos.iso like a white man.

no

If you like to program yes.

Depends on what you do on your computer and how high end your PC and internet connection are.

>linux
I'm sorry to intrrerupt you but you must understand that Linux is just a kernel and is useless by itself unless it's used along with the GNU userspace components, in which case the complete operating system is called GNU/Linux. Please use the name GNU/Linux to avoid confusion and to distinguish the kernel from the rest of the system.

Do you like spending all your time going through an inane amount of work just to get gimped functionality out of the shit you're used to being simple on windows just to say you did it and it's possible? Then sure.

And are irrelevant to the average user

Unless you do anything besides develop software, audio production, video production, etc. Then you can get fucked

I'm a mathematician, I teach, write papers, make programs and interact with people on forums. On my spare time I use the computer to chat, shitpost, read, watch movies, hear music, edit some memes and play videogames. The only reason I'd need Windows is for the latter, but I don't play games that often and most modern games run just fine with Proton or Wine.
I just can't see a reason to use Windows in my particular case.

Helpful copypasta.

if you want to gossip with your bearded lady friends about how much windows sucks while tipping fedoras, than yes it's very much worth it.
also if you want to run servers.
otherwise no.