Which one is THE DE for toasters in current year?

which one is THE DE for toasters in current year?

Attached: de for toasters.png (720x540, 101K)

XFCE

LXQt is basically a shitty KDE clone.

You're a fucking moron. It's Qt (a toolkit) + openbox + compton (on most distros). It's faster than GTK environments, and it is only related to KDE via both making ample user of Qt. It is actually the lightest DE around now, yet feels cleaner than both Mate and Xfce (and in most tests has been shown to be faster). Saying lxqt is a shitty kde clone is like saying that xfce is a shitty gnome clone. It's just dumb.

LXDE > XFCE > LXQt

Xfce is the only good DE on linux in general. LXDE is basically a worse Xfce and also abandonware, LXQt is the inferior KDE.

>compton
Compton is absolute garbage. If LXQt uses it it isn't light nor good.

Switched from XFCE to LXQt and have been loving it, it weighs almost exactly the same but I run in to the "I can't do that because I'm using a lightweight DE" feeling a lot less (though it still happens a lot). On the dev end, Qt is better than GTK in so many ways that I lose count, and most of my programs use it already anyways. My only gripe is that the default file browser is not very impressive, and the settings menus for theming can be hilariously combattive for certain things, but you only run in to that while ricing.

*crack, sip* Let me tell you, LXQt kicked my ass yesterday.
>be running Debian 10 testing LXQt 3.14
>check out the menus
>try appearance
>first option is Qt widget style
>imitation of MS windows classic style looks comfy
>try each option
>last one is for blackberry
>click apply
>screen elements increase in size 8x to a touchscreen form factor
>apply and close buttons sacrificed to the vengeful ghost of RIM
>screen resolution already maxed at 1366x768
>commence 5 minutes of blindly tabbing and tapping spacebar to trigger the apply button for another style
In retrospect, I probably could have used the window menu's move window option, then held the up arrow to move the window up above the top of the screen to bring the apply button into view.

you dont HAVE to use it, retard

went from the shittiest to the best

xfce

bump

shut the h*ck up

>Xfce is the only good DE on linux in general.
also Cinnamon

LXQt obviously

It uses a shitty filepicker. The filemanager pcmanfm is okay, but why not use Kdialog?

if anyone knows how to get thumbnails in the filepicker on lxqt I would really appreciate it. Its the only reason I use KDE over lxqt.

a window manager, formerly i3, now dwm is the newest meme

This.

why wouldn't it support wayland? Isn't that the whole point of using qt?

Why do brainlets keep saying this? Surely not just because they share the QT toolkit.

its openbox

LXQt is supposed to have full support for Wayland by this time next year, yeah. It was always their eventual goal.

You're retarded and can't understand english so this falling on deaf ears, but so everyone knows: LXQt is a Qt port of LXDE that was started to be more cohesive and modern, and become the first truly lightweight DE with its own implementation of a Wayland server. It is not a KDE project, it is not attempting to be a KDE clone.

You're absolute garbage.

le epic toaster meme

Idk what the binding is for lxqt, but my window managers let you move windows by doing something like Meta+left click and drag.

LXDE, I don't know how anyone can shill Xfce with a straight face.
Ristretto lacks send image to printer.
Thunar lacks recursive search and keyboard shortcuts for view style, terminal, and order of view.
And xfce is even more bloated. Lol, what a joke desu

I've tried them all and cinnamon is still the best

Attached: file.png (297x144, 8K)

>no u
Kill yourself, autist. Compton is outdated and wastes CPU power.

I prefer Xfce because it has a better panel and Thunar has customizable actions on right click. But Cinnamon is close to being perfect.

>Ristretto lacks send image to printer.
The default image viewers and media players of all distros are garbage. mpv/VLC > anything else. Nomacs > anything else. If you're too lazy to replace a single package then no DE will ever be good.

a WM

xfce or lxde based on your preference for not too ancient machines.

Consider IceWM for literal toasters.

Fluxbox

De? Are you still kind of delusionist freak?
Haiku, ofc.

LXDE for complete toasters.
Otherwise LXQt for modularity and Xfce for stability and more features.

Attached: DE_Memory_Benchmark_512MB_2018_07_28.png (1280x720, 448K)

Cinnamon is quite nice, but it suffers from inadequate testing before big updates, some legacy issues from GNOME and the devs not caring about resource usage at all.

But I DO HAVE to do real things, and that's why I choose Windows 10 LTSC

>100mb

Bullshit last time i booted lubuntu it ate half a gig.

Specific distros add various degrees of "bloat". This comparison is supposed to show what the vanilla DE roughly uses.

Also the total RAM usage scales to some extent with the amount of available RAM.

Xfce's compositor is old. So what? If it works it works. LXQt is measurably faster and less resource intensive than Xfce, so your complaints of wasting CPU are unfounded and hypocritical.

Xfce compositor gets updated. Compton is inefficient abandonware. Stop posting.

I don't fucking care, he's right, the result is a fucking shitty KDE clone. KDE already works great on toasters, there's no need to make another shitty pajeet DE, waste of resources if you ask me.

It shares some low-level KDE libraries and their commitment to Qt, but their goals and approaches differ completely.
>waste of resources if you ask me
One of LXDE-Qt's (and later on LXQt's) goals was to attract new devs, so it's quite the opposite.

>ask for desktop environment
>hurr use this OS instead

>toaster
>DE
y tho

If you're using something 10+ years old? Standalone WM. Otherwise I would say Xfce>Lxde since they arent very far off in RAM usage. I'm hearing good things about Lxqt as of lately, was kinda buggy and didn't feel ready when I tried it a year ago but things could be different now.

lxde but use caja instead of pcmanfm if you need to eject devices from desktop and custom icons for folders and files.

Mine just does it. I don't really know why.

Attached: 2019-06-08-204601_5760x1080_scrot.png (750x490, 70K)

Thats the shitty qt default, have you never seen dolphin and Kdialog?
It behaves a lot like Windows explorer

Attached: firefox-portals.png (1106x640, 64K)

speaking of explorer, why the fuck doesn't that have tabs yet?

fvwm is the only superior alpha male choice.

t. Theo de Raadt

not really a DE, but kinda it is
JWM is pretty sweet. I'm dumb as shit and have been able to figure out most everything I've needed to by editing the config file, save, reset jwm. fixed? yes? good. fixed? no? edit the config file again, save, reset jwm. Fixed? probably not. repeat. repeat. repeat. ehhhhh is this really that important... I can live without the icon showing up for that program.

>Perlprogramming library for extending FVWM using Perl, scripting and pre-processing of configuration files.
>Perl

Attached: nonono.jpg (468x585, 47K)

you can turn it off easily using the GUI settings menu, retard.

Why is Qt better than GTK?

JWM. And then grab Konqueror and Chromium. And Dolphin FM. And Krusader.

unironically Plasma is better and more efficient than all 3

look ma I'm edgy

Speaking of file explorers. Which one is the comfiest and supports preview panes including .webm autoplay?
>Also, how the fuck do I replace MSOffice?

>My toaster needs a DE

Attached: 6fe.jpg (400x407, 19K)

>ctrl+f
>'enlightenment'
>0 hits
?

enlightenment is patricians only

RAM: 512GB ? Bruh

Get out

>LXDE for complete toasters.
>Xfce for stability and more features.

These

Xfce

id agree that plasma is better, but not that it is more efficient.
for that, id point you to TDE

Attached: tde3.png (1366x768, 227K)

it's been almost ten years in the making (it used to be known as razor-qt) and is not a shitty pajeet project. it's been maintained and developed mostly by east asians and anglos.

TDE is comfy. But these days people think a compositing WM is a necessity. It requires uncommon taste to appreciate an old fashioned stacking WM with its redraw quicks, but without the buffering of a compositor it feels more responsive.

ok nigga

MATE

neither

lxqt > lxde > xfce
xfce isn't light and looks like shit.
if you want something that looks good, get cinnamon. if you want something light, get lxqt