KDE Appreciation Thread

ITT: spread the joy that is KDE and the QT framework. Share your favorite QT based software, customizations, etc. Liberate yourself from the Gnome-dev cucks.

>imagine not having full thumbnail support with firefox
>imagine actually using nautilus
>imagine being a foot

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_163226.png (1920x1080, 1.34M)

KDE is actually pretty nice, tried it out today a bit with Kubuntu
probably the second best DE after Cinnamon
just a bit too much options, was a bit overwhelming, Cinnamon is better regarding that

KDE best DE

I switched to it on my laptop with KDE Neon and I quite like it but I haven't been able to solve one problem. For some reason, using i965 Intel open source drivers, I can't get KDE to use hardware acceleration on Wayland. For X11, it works for some reason but Wayland opens up llvmpipe every time which is annoying. Other than that, it's really nice so far for my uses.

Usa Falkon nigger

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_195116.png (1366x768, 303K)

what's Falcon nigger?

Both KDE and Gnome are good DEs. There’s no need for one to bash the other.

Attached: 7178B087-B16D-4D93-A8F1-473404139C89.jpg (1080x1080, 166K)

>bar at the top

Attached: 1529365775597.jpg (598x415, 60K)

Falkon is QupZilla browser made by Czech nigger, and now it is a part of KDE project.
It uses QtWebEngine and Qt everything. It is slightly on raw side, though (no extensions (you can't load them yet), etc). But it can be fixed.

>imagine using a foot for a DE

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_200309.png (3840x1080, 1.91M)

Wrong GNOME Dev. Nobody likes your shitty DE

Damn, KDE looks like THAT?! How did you do that?

For me it's xfce

Lock your widgets.

Did the joke go over my head? He just moved the taskbar to the top and switched to Breeze Dark theme.
Takes less than 30 seconds.

If you just look at the thread most people use similar setups. Dont let that decieve you. Almost any workflow or layout is possible with KDE.
There just aren't as many dedicated ricers compared to a WM like openbox or I3wm.

Falkon and Qutebrowser are great but lacking extensions is a deal breaker.
I use Vivaldi and ungoogled-chromium.

No, there was no joke. I am legitimately a retarded Winjeet user that desperately wants to move to Linux.

>Lock your widgets.
Nah, I'm fine with unlocked ones.
>Falkon and Qutebrowser are great but lacking extensions is a deal breaker.
Well, it comes with adblock of sort, and couple others.
Idk, I only need adblock and thats it.

>desktop paradigm
are you retarded or just a masochist?

fuck you, gnome is the best de around
and feet are sexy

It's literally the built-in dark theme. I personally prefer arc-dark to it, though.
Pic rel. not mine

Attached: arc dark.png (1600x900, 955K)

give me one (1) good reason to use a DE over i3 or dwm

I'm pretty attached to some extensions, otherwise I'd love to ditch the meh font rendering on Firefox/Chromium.

>pepe
>shit taste
pick 2

>Almost any workflow or layout is possible with KDE
Any latte-dock users? I'be been meaning to check it out, looks incredibly flexible

plasma-wayland bugs are so annoying
how many of the kde devs are dog fooding wayland? fuck why doesn't a billionare just throw money at kde and finish this fucking wayland migration
if i switch to a closer to development "branch" or maybe even git, will I get more or less bugs? lol

have sex

Which extension? If they are open-source, they can be screwed to falkon no problem.

>plasma-wayland bugs are so annoying
Why the fuck OpenSUSE doesn't have KDE bugs, while KDE Neon is full of them?
Why KDE Neon uses Ubuntu as base, when superior OpenSUSE exists?

>sex
cope

Like it or not apparmor is superior to selinux. Worse is better, apparmor gives the end user less problems and its easier to fix if it ever breaks anything.
I wouldn't run an OS without any of them that's for sure. How arch kids feel safe without them I will never understand.

Thats great user
A couple tips!

When trying to rice KDE take things slowly and restart KWIN after a couple of changes.
Kubuntu is a good distro right now. Opensuse and Neon are two alternatives.

Latte dock works great but I ditched it after a while. Its just eye candy desu.
Having your open apps on a traditional taskbar is more productive as you can see what's running without moving your mouse.

Ree there's no reason to have them open and you save like 75px or more of horizontal space on your bar. That's also the reason why I shrink mine to 22-24px.

GNOME retards replaced the desktop paradigm for something even worse. The bar is a glorified clock.

Arc dark makes things less streamlined imo

Attached: Screenshot_20181022_002103.png (1920x1200, 738K)

Thanks pal, appreciated

t. Winjeet

you're 100% right, tiling-wms are a cope for incel-dom

Yes, but how it is related to plasma bugs?
>Ree there's no reason to have them open and you save like 75px or more of horizontal space on your bar. That's also the reason why I shrink mine to 22-24px.
I like it thicc. I have 1366 pixels to waste. But yeah, I'd probably make it shorter, since 768 is not much pixels.

>Why KDE Neon uses Ubuntu as base, when superior OpenSUSE exists?

OpenSUSE uses Apparmor as default, and you can select SELinux if you like NSA backdoors that much.
KDE Neon - idk, never bothered to look, probably AA too...

I'm retarded, for some reason I assumed they used SELinux because of rpm.
What's the best option. Switch to Ubuntu 18.04 with the backports PPA? Or is it as bad as latest ubuntu

Why KDE is better than Gnome?

Attached: 1557077102016.jpg (3024x4032, 1.14M)

Idk, Ubuntu never worked for me for some reason, just like Debian.
I'm probably too stupid not to fuck up apt-get. (Meanwhile, I changed Leap to Tumbleweed no problem)

German quality. All good stuff is made in Germany.

I've been using it for years now, I used to try out the widgets and shit but eventually I realized that a task bar on the bottom is the optimal layout. I appreciate that multimonitor support just werkz, but I rarely think about the DE itself anymore except when I run applications that don't respect my theming i.e. gnome shit.

too bloated, use a tiling/stacking wm

Attached: dwm-20100318.png (1280x801, 189K)

You convinced me! i will give it a shot.

Attached: 1557248890629.png (1000x800, 451K)

I fucking love KDE but Falkon is not ready for prime time yet. Zooming sucks ass. Change your zoom level, open a link (on the same site) in a new tab, standard zoom level. It's also slow. I hope its various issues get resolved soon though because I really want to get off the firefox train.

>watching rcr

MMMM COCKS DAILY

Arch users btw, if you're running KDE-Unstable or stable, and WAYLAND. Can you confirm that you also see tons of bugs?

Idk, it just works™.
Out of the box it is pretty close to Windows. Bar looks identical to Windows 10 bar. Menu (pic related) is not like in Windows (well, it is mix of Windows 7 and Windows 95 menu), but pretty easy to get used to it. Settings thing is more of a Mac OS X thing.
You can basically put person who never dealt with GNU/Linux, and he (or she) will be able to get shit done with minimal amount of pain. My mom didn't even notice difference between KDE and Windows, lol.
If you're into ricing - you can make KDE look like anything, with minimal amount of fuckery, since everything is pretty adjustable, unlike GNOME.
KDE uses Qt, superior toolkit designed by a company, not some bunch of freetards, which only remove features. Sure, it is not GPL, but rather LGPL, but c'mon Richard, they could have kept it closed source...
I agree, Falkon is kinda raw, and has couple bugs and uncertainties (like you need to close history with Ctrl-H, otherwise it will show history on next startup), and I would like to see option to remove bar on top in browser, not in KDE theme.
Again, no extensions yet. No PDF viewer (probably most annoying thing).
And luckily, it uses QtWebEngine, which means, that even complete retard can change shit, since it is basically a wrapper for it, which is like only 2.8 mb source code. (since all dirty work is done by Qt enginiggers)

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_215523.png (347x542, 46K)

And yeah, it isn't slow, actually. It is just as fast as Chrome, since they use similar engine.
But yeah
> open a link (on the same site) in a new tab
This is most annoying thing. I have a habit to drag link onto "+", and it fucking googles it instead of opening URL.

sick projection bro, how many chicks did you pick up after showing them your GNOME 3 desktop? oh wait LOL

>otherwise I'd love to ditch the meh font rendering on Firefox/Chromium
only Chromium and Chromium based browsers ship their own version of Freetype - Firefox uses your config to its fullest. if you're getting bad font rendering with Firefox then you simply haven't set up things correctly.

Thumbnails in the file picker. GNOME users have complained for more than 12 years without the devs giving a shit.

On laptops I try to save as much space as possible for maximum shitposting real estate.

>if you're getting bad font rendering with Firefox then you simply haven't set up things correctly.
GTK apps refuse to hold any configuration, even the basic font and size. QT apps look fine, hence why i'd rather just ditch fiefox/chromium completely.

probably just not setting up things in the correct area, i don't have any problem making GTK apps respect my configuration.

make sure your Xresources, and your home folder's fontconfig stuff is set up right.

I love me some KDE

Attached: Screenshot_20190608_210247.png (1366x768, 596K)

KPuke

>doesn't deny he's a virgin
>hasn't had sex
this is a KDE thread, no incels allowed. please return when you're not a virgin (and more importantly, want to actually discuss QT/KDE).

btw have sex.

How usable is KDE on a touchscreen?

You can look, but you can't touch.

what's the best bittorrent client? do y'all use qbittorrent, transmission-qt, ktorrent ... ?

>ransmission-qt,
this

why not use a tiling wm, then?
its fsirly simple to underorate kwin, use custom tiling scripts, or replace kwin alotogether while keeping the plasma desktop

I feel Kwin is too intergrated with plasma to replace. i3 + plasma looks goofy desu, but Ill try it again soon. Also the tiling script I found on github a bitch to setup.

Most recently I ran a custom theme based on FormArcMinimal which shrunk the size of window decorations to patrician levels.
Add some sensible keyboard shortcuts and youre good for launch.
picrelated is FormArcMinimal

>picrelated

Attached: 97115cc8cbc7b5fe7da28474756b695ae84c.png (1280x800, 1.01M)

This thread inspired me to make the switch.
What should I install, boys?

Browsing this thread makes me glad I use gnome.

>thinkpad of the lake, tell me your secrets

Open Suse Leap.

>use gnome lol

I like your icon on the top right, what theme u got user?

Manjaro kde best distro, fight me

Best distro with kde for wincucks?

The theme is FormArc, Ive said it three times lol.
Screenshot is not mine. Im away from my desktop rn.

Manjaro is just a worse Arch. Which btw is also trash.
At least you can reinstall Manjaro a lot quicker than Arch when SHTF.

Try: Kubuntu, Neon, OpenSUSE
Avoid: Fedora, Manjaro

Fedora heavily neglects its KDE spin. Manjaro will certainly break on you.

>is this how you ended up in the lake?

I wanted to use KDE with i3 but that's too bloated, I'll just keep using just i3 and endure the hell that is the GTK File Picker.

Phone pic of my desktop

Attached: 20190608_161119.jpg (4032x3024, 2.38M)

>blur transparency
>Latte dock
>Papirus icons
My nigger

... oh wait you use Arch - nevermind

God I fucking hate Arch niggers

I'm on Debian buster using xfce but KDE seems to have improved a lot in these last 2-3 years. I guess i'll install the minimalist version(kde-plasma-desktop) or I can go for the kde-standard which is a bit more complete but without all the bloat.

Attached: 3VAH X32.png (1366x768, 1.02M)

just use debian or devuan with the trinity desktop, nothing else compares

Attached: classic.png (1920x1080, 1.68M)

>Manjaro will certainly break on you.
Yeah no joke lol. First and only time I've tried manjaro was inside a vm. I did a full update and on reboot everything was broken, so I fixed sddm iirc but the session itself was broken too lol

That's pretty much my experience too.
Literally the first update broke WiFi and I knew that the pain wasn't worth it so I went back to Fedora before I got too invested.

If I want to fix shit all day then Id rather use Void, maybe Arch or Artix.
Void Linux is barebones yet has a great graphical installer.

>Neon
What bugs are you experiencing? X or Wayland?

Konqi a qt

>Share your favorite QT based software
fresh from the oven.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-09_22-27-39.png (1414x648, 207K)

Debain bros
Why not just use NetworkManager?

Attached: Screenshot_20190609_123529.png (392x127, 49K)

>lacking extensions
>what os greasemonkey, oh jeez idk im dumb an also cant into scripts

F U C K I T
I'm going to install Fedora 30 KDE.
What problems do people have with SELinux? I don't care about the ideological nsa botnet stuff, I just want to know from a desktop user point of view. Does it breaks often? What else should I know before going to fedora from ubuntu?

Bain?

Attached: cmipk.jpg (451x622, 30K)

KDE's real competition is MATE.

Every month I throw a rock in a box, fart in it,seal it, and mail it to KDE headquarters. The joy I get knowing they're breathing in my shit particles, is indescribable.

fedora kde defaults are so bad.. the user avatar is literally a clown

I don't remember, honestly. I had couple Krashes in like 2 weeks after install, while OpenSUSE had its first Krash after 4-5 month.
Maybe I wasn't lucky, idk... But from my experience, all Debian-based shit breaks on me.
Try something OpenSUSE, since I'm pretty retarded, and it works for me.

>Usa Falkon nigger
the moment it has extension support or at least decent content blocking I will

Well, it needs some bugfixed, before they can add extension support.
At this point it has OK adblocker... But it lacks "block element" feature badly

can confirm fedora kde sucks donkey dick.
im thinking of debian/devuan. maybe with tde, xfce, or dwm instead.

Dolphin - best file manager
kdenlive - best video editor
Krita - best image manipulation & art software

I don't use the settings manager or taskbar, but pretty much all of my applications are qt based and I use the breeze theme and icons. i3 + qt apps + polybar is the patrician choice.

How good is KDE at Japanese input? In GNOME ibus crashes all the time.

You meant KDE and XFCE, Gnome it's just a sad joke

>can confirm fedora kde sucks donkey dick.
I said the defaults are a joke, not the distro

Fedora really neglects KDE
Not only are the defaults trash but it preinstalls old shit, and stability is a joke

>defaults trash
I'll copy my own config
>it preinstalls old shit
I can just remove them with my provision script
>stability is a joke
what problems did you experienced? in what kind of hardware and was it x11 or wayland? kubuntu is already a joke I don't see how fedora could be worse

RH niggers are just jelly nobody likes their Gnome 3.

A lot of my issues were hardware related (ryzen). Kubuntu 18.10 wouldn't even want to install. Fedora did but the compositor would randomly crash every five minutes. Putting load on my GPU caused the whole system to freeze and never recover.
On that PC I rarely had those issues with Void.

On my Intel notebook I never had an ideal setup with KDE. Fedora 30 gave me the most headache overall but I cant really think of anything specific it did. IRRC it didn't want to save my gtk configurations. The same issue had.
Gecko Linux (OpenSUSE based) and Kubuntu oddly enough were the most enjoyable.