Why the fuck haven't they replaced this outdated garbage...

Why the fuck haven't they replaced this outdated garbage. Fuck this piece of shit feels like I'm going to rip my motherboard apart every time I try to plug or unplug one.

Attached: atx-24-pin-connector.jpg (500x348, 35K)

never change working shit.

Find a connector that does 600 volts, 8 amperes maximum per pin this small.

This

It shouldn't fucking be a pin. It should be a proper connector that clicks on nicely.

It does click on nicely though.

No it doesn't, you have to force it on and it can potentially flex the motherboard. It's not the same as connecting a SATA cable, that's an actual click.

>Fuck this piece of shit feels like I'm going to rip my motherboard apart every time I try to plug or unplug one.
maybe you're just impatient or dangerously incompetent? the connector is fine. can't say the same about you, op. seek help.

molex may make a 600 volt rated connector but these aint them

use one of these then you dumb cunt

Attached: csm_GEDORE_Gripzange_d6be294372.png (1600x1103, 1M)

Agreed, OP. These guys are treating you like a retard just because they know how to plug it in, but that's beside the point. Everyone here has probably plugged one of these in. It works, okay, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved or replace. We should strive for progress and improvement whenever we can.

The motherboard is made to flex.

Stop buying chinkshit.

>It works, okay, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved or replace
No thank you, we'd probably get some idiotic shit like USB C.

Attached: 1489697583028.jpg (412x519, 61K)

fuck
those
sharp
edges
MAN

Attached: FINAL_cartoonfingerpain small.jpg (255x206, 15K)

Yeah, you go ahead and destroy your motherboard with that shit.

t; just finished building his first PC

>the year is 2025, every connector is usb-c
You open up your new psu, it only has usb-c out.
It comes with a bag that contains 30 usb-c cables of varying lengths, each with a little tag telling you what kind of usb-c.
Usb-c-pd12 is for twelve volts, and five of them is used for the graphics card, nine for the mobo and three spare for accessories.
Don't confuse it with the 3,3/5 volt variety, it could wreck your system, and don't plug it into the wrong port on the psu.
It's all rgb though

Thats just the manufacturers being jews

Basedbois who can't apply adequate pressure with their little noodle fingers.

Am i the only real gamer here that used sleeved extension cables?

They make it looks so much more nicer

Attached: sleevedcable.jpg (1116x800, 177K)

that additional resistance costs you at least 3fps

If your PSU is old, the plastic would be even more sturdy and harder to press on to. I've dealt with plenty of older plastic clips from older PSU and those things are rock hard(probably brittle too). While the newer/more expensive PSUs have softer plastic that can be pressed more easily.

I'm not sure if its just how plastic ages with heat or if its material quality difference.

My RM750x was a huge pain, at least.

Bruh with 8A at that voltage, you should be using faston tabs

Attached: 6-Way-Multi-Connector-500x500.jpg (500x500, 35K)

I'm not saying we can't improve on it. But it does have like 20+ years of perfect backwards compatibility, so I don't want it to be "upgraded" to some shitty standard that's going to change every 5 years and force us to buy more power supplies.

Also, that same amount of compatibility means that there are few surprises for engineers. All the kinks have been worked out.

Again, not saying no to upgrades. But throwing away all that because for 2 seconds you slightly flexed your mobo seems a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

They're meant to be hard to remove. It's so you are guaranteed to know it won't get loose and isn't going to be the problem. So you won't be calling them up, lying about the psu being broken when you're really just retarded.

Lmao modern connectors are fucking baby fisher price tier. They used to be the same shape but tighter and worse. When I built my last desktop last year the connectors just slide in and out. when I pull apart old PCs I seriously consider wearing kevlar gloves so I don't lose more pieces of skin to fucking PC cases.

I get that you're on the fence, but you have to remember, virtually every major component in motherboards have changed in the last 20 years to a newer standard.

Yes, and for each change we saw a tangible benefit. Do we get a benefit from a new power connector?

That's my experience, but see . I don't know if its plastic aging with heat/time or if modern plastic are more "fisher price" like soft.

My own experience with car parts lead me to believe the "fisher price" softness of the new plastic will harden with time and become hard as fuck. This causes major issues with clip ons as it requires blood sacrifice from your finger to unplug it.

There's no backward compatibility with the new changes via DDR4, new sockets, new VRM phases, new display connectors, new M.2 interface, etc.

The benefit of changing to a different connector for 24 pin would simply be ease of connecting/disconnecting. Once you get past the "oh noes we can't use my 20 year old psu connector" mentality, the minor benefit of ease of changing motherboards (not done often but still takes time) will be enough. After 5 years of change in standard, no one would look back to the "old and bulky" standard. The 5 year period is simply to bypass the old status quo bias.

Attached: 1559339703653_0.gif (478x298, 3.38M)

I can definitely see the benefit of switching away from this connector. The fuckers take so much force to remove once plugged in that I always worry I'll crack the motherboard or ruin a solder joint while removing one, even if I try to hold down the board near the connector itself. A more modern connector which latches in place but does not actually grip so hard on the contacts themselves would be nice for my peace of mind whenever I have to work with them. Hell, I think simply breaking it down into multiple connectors which can be handled individually would help, PCIe and 12V CPU power connectors are never as obstinate as the 24pin, simply because there are fewer pins per connector.

it's better than the predecessor, but it was easier to install/uninstall back when it was 20pins

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif (356x338, 55K)

>yfw the connectors get's installed reversed and fries the motherboard

remember kids, brothers stick together

We're all laughing at this dumb shit, but I honestly won't be surprised if that's how it will actually turn out to be.

Also hate front panel connectors. Steady hands and good eyes are needed.

Attached: fpc.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

BS

This would be a more sensible improvement than the power socket one IMO

>The benefit of changing to a different connector for 24 pin would simply be ease of connecting/disconnecting.

But it's already trivially easy

Can't the case manufacturers just ship a 2x5/2x4 block plus extender cables for the individual connectors for those that need them separate? Why are they like this anyway? Seems to me that nowadays all mobos come with 2x5(-1) pins anyway.

fucking zoomers

>Seems to me that nowadays all mobos come with 2x5(-1) pins anyway.
They do, but they don't have a standardized layout.

>Can't the case manufacturers just ship a 2x5/2x4 block plus extender cables for the individual connectors for those that need them separate?
That would be swell.

Gigabyte mobos have a connector that you can put all your front panel connectors inside and that entire thing plugs into the board, which is very nice.

>DDR4, new sockets, display connectors
Those things were changed because improvements necessitated electrically incompatible interface, you dumb nigger. The 24 pin does what it's supposed to do perfectly fine and there's no reason for similar change. The only thing you maybe could point to is DVI-D and HDMI, but that's an external interface and there were other changes then just the connector looks; also some of Intel's socket-a-year changes, but those are almost universally considered to be dumb.

Not only Gigabyte, my Asus board came with one of those things which made the process less frustrating for me

positive to the outer side, power right beside the "key" empty pin and reset under it.
Power led to the side of the power and hdd to the side of the reset