What's the deal with scala/dotty?

will it be good? whats its power level?

Attached: Scala_logo.png (493x202, 29K)

The new type stuff (union, intersection, lambdas etc) is going to be amazing, still a bit unsure about their new syntax for implicits which to me seems overly confusing for some already pretty confusing concepts

Here's hoping it makes Scala popular again cos its a great language that is fading into obscurity a bit right now.

its because they announced scala 3 way too early and has taken too long

is scala worth learning in 2019? or is it dead

It is the most decent language after Haskell researched by the French chads from INRIA and designed by the real gigachad Odersky.

The principles and design chooses were sound and based, but fucking JVM was a mistake (however, twitter and coursera just work).

It has very steep learning curve and requires more brain than C++. That is why the ecosystem is quite small (retards could not survive there).

Recently it has been fucked up - they stiill cannot port Spark (a fucking mess) on 2.12 (it crashes) so, the effort to cleanup and polish the shit is ongoing and it is called Dotty. Once it will be released there will be no reason to look back.

To summarise, Dotty is the future, even if Spark will never be ported to it, and JVM is fucking obsolete crap.

If you really wanna be "invent the future" - help porting Dotty out of fucking JVM to LLVM or GCC backends.

Implicits is the one single real innovation in PLs since Type Classes you moron.

Syntax is easy to change, semantics is where all the difficulties lie

user there are literally only 3 relevant languages
legacy shit: c#/java/c++/c (disregarded)
web: javascript
new system that needs good performance: rust
everything else: python

Jesus fucking Christ

In my brief experience, it is extremely powerful, and the syntax is loose to the point where making your own domain specific language is easy. It was too much for me, and I see it as kind of an enthusiast language. But, you can keep things relatively simple and get normal work done. For the community, my impression is they love to make things way more complicated than the have to be.

haha le chad le basé

Shut the fuck up.

>user there are literally only 3 relevant languages
The two this guy actually knows and the trendy new one he desperately wants to learn.

q-quiet! and i'll making good rust programs in a few months.

Attached: pepe gun.jpg (600x395, 60K)

wtf

They need to redo SBT, literally the worst build tool in existence. Takes like 10 seconds just to start the sbt console

JVM is just a disaster in general. Scala native might one day become something good

no u lol

>They need to redo SBT, literally the worst build tool in existence
Fuck, I forgot about that. SBT is some of the worst shit I've seen. Simple my ass.

>SBT
sbt is booty

scala is based. my favorite lang I've ever used.
it's like all the good parts of F# and C# combined.

> C#
> good parts

lol

They kind of had to announce it because they did a feature freeze of scala 2.
>Here's hoping it makes Scala popular again cos its a great language that is fading into obscurity a bit right now.
Not going to happen. Scala is too sophisticated for the unwashed masses to appreciate. They would rather do their fizzbuzz in Go or Java.

I thought Scala 2.12 was going to be binary compatible with Scala 3 through TASTY? If so, then it shouldn't be a major issue.