Is this kill?

Just bought a vintage drum machine second hand, opened it up and saw this. I have ~0 electronics experience, can you tell by looking at it if it's kill?

Attached: foto.jpg (528x720, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

erichizdepski.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/roland-human-rhythm-composer-r-5/
archive.org/details/roland_R-8_SERVICE_NOTES
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the capacitor in the dead middle looks like it let out all the magic smoke

yeah it's dead, might as well just trash it buddy.

Assuming that's just dust and not actually cooked board then it should be fine. I think its not dust though.

don't listen to other anons looks like some dirt clean with iso alcohol let dry for a few hours should be ok none of the components look damaged.

So could I replace that capacitor, and anything else that looks charred to potentially get it working again?

Don't think it's dirt, here's a photo of the surface directly above it

Attached: foto2.jpg (528x720, 74K)

Bump with another photo

Attached: foto1.jpg (528x720, 99K)

RIP

Yeah you've got a cap to replace

Do you know how to use a multimeter?

Which capacitor? I've briefly used one before, what would I be measuring with it here?

I would suggest trying to find a diagram of that particular board. It does look to me like a horizontal capacitor completely vaporized off that board.

I think those caps are just victims of the magic smoke. I think pic related is where the magic smoke came from and it basically destroyed whatever was there.

OP, can you upload a non-potato-resolution photo?

Attached: 1560150880651.jpg (528x720, 141K)

wild guess from is a component got vaporized and isn't there any more. Was there any rattling around crap in the case when you opened it? Anyone been in there prior? Could be a cap or a resistor.

It's usually like that unless some IC got wrecked, some of them can be uber rare chips that are impossible to find
You might want to ask /diy/
This, it really looks like there's more than one component that came off the board

Judging by the smoke and the revealed traces, a large component, possibly a transistor, overheated for quite some time. Highly doubt it's a cap explosion, those leave no smoke.

No rattling when I opened it, but there's also no guarantee that it hasn't been tampered with as I bought it second hand

The power supply for these is quite rare, its a +10V/-10V dual PSU. Is it possible that someone tried to run too much power through it and blew the components?

If not less potato, more closer

Attached: foto3.jpg (528x720, 95K)

You can see the traces ripped up next to the diode on the bottom right.
It's shrekt.

Another. I accidentally nudged that part where the metal is now shining through and dislodged the plastic coating

Attached: foto6.jpg (528x720, 92K)

There was a third diode and it blew the fuck up. You can see the leg still stuck in the hole.
A diode doesn't violently explode on its own, so there is a bigger problem on your hands - probably some other component(s) went to shit and let too much juice flow through the diode which killed it. Even if you replaced the diode and bridged the trace, it will just happen again.

Of course. The big black component in the red circle looks like a completely depleted sand fuse.

Throw it out, it was probably hit by a spike or lightning. Zero salvageability.

Not even the chips? Would there be any point in testing it with a multimeter?

Only if you have the diagram with all voltages written on it. You'd also need to test capacitance which most multimeters don't do, or do badly.

Last bump in hope someone can give me a definitive answer

Attached: foto4.jpg (528x720, 106K)

As you've possibly worked out by now pic related shows where the component that turned into magic smoke likely was.
Google the model number of the drum machine and you might find service manuals, schematics and part lists - manufacturers were pretty good with these back in the '80s Roland made some pretty iconic gear, so it's probably worth saving. What model is it?

No one other than an electronic repair shop will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Attached: 1560154164197.jpg (528x720, 132K)

It's the R5, they're quite popular with vintage gear collectors. I'll keep looking for guides / manuals etc., so far I haven't had any luck

Did you fine this website: erichizdepski.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/roland-human-rhythm-composer-r-5/
There are photos of the power supply stage of the schematic which includes the area in your photos. FL3 is a ferrite core filter that is on the other side of the board and the solder is definitely missing from one of the wires that goes through that filter.
It looks like the service manual is known as "service notes". The R-5 notes are available on eBay but the R-8 notes are available on archive.org - not sure how much help they'll be: archive.org/details/roland_R-8_SERVICE_NOTES
I assume you found the owner's manual.

Thanks for having a look. I'll try and get the blog to send a copy of the schematics, but to be honest this sort of repair is beyond my level