A friend gave me 50 Seagate 500GB "Pipeline" hard drives...

A friend gave me 50 Seagate 500GB "Pipeline" hard drives. Apparently these are shit hard drives that are designed for DVR boxes, and shouldn't be used in computers. Is that true? Should I throw them away?

Attached: 71I9hPigT8L._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 34K)

Sell them 5$ a piece

connect one then format it and post crystaldiskmark speeds
i'm interested

fine for basic storage solution or you could sell them and buy a beter storage solution

I have a similar problem but with Vega 64's.
I have like 20 of them that have been used for like a month or two and then all got swapped out for RTX cards.

Mine storage space crypto meme

Give me one

It's 25TB of free drives, user. Who gives a shit about how fast they are? Use them for backups and data hoarding.
(Just, uh, look at the SMART data first. You don't just get handed 25TB of fully functional storage.)

>Seagate
>these are shit hard drives that ... shouldn't be used in computers.
Absolutely correct. You could still use them, but I'd use some overkill RAID format to have extreme redundancy.

Put them in RAID0

6 should be enough, considering you'll need, like, 3 hours to rebuild it. The probablilty of 3 HDDs going down forever in 3 hours is small even with shit drives.
Lay away about 5 working drives as spares.

would be a hilarious NAS but you might spend more on sata cards than you would on some denser drives

No it isn't true at all
DVR treat drives much shitter than computers do (except windows)
retard

>A friend gave me
Give it back Tyrone.

Time to RAID. I don't know what config would be the best for you, probably something that helps with performance and redundancy at the same time.

same question, but i have around 30 500GB "Barracuda" seagates, are those any good? currently using around 8 of them for dup backups

Should I RAID 160GB hard drives or throw them out?

Man that sounds fun actually, learning how to do all and having 25TB cranking away. IMO I’d set up something like SnapRAID and use it for media server shit.

500 gigs a piece is too small to build a nas today. I'd recommend to buy USB3 external dock and use them for cold warez storage, maybe install big games on them and only run when needed, they will last more this way.

>The probablilty of 3 HDDs going down forever in 3 hours is small even with shit drives.
They seem to all be from the same batch though, I wouldn't say it's a small chacne.
What 's wrong?

They favour smooth I/O over accuracy. The idea being that if it hits a bad cluster a normal HD will try a few times, then relocate the data if possible which takes time. But in a DVR, chances are 1 cluster hardly matters and if the drive is busy trying to recover that pointless cluster it's missing a whole lot of good writes that need to come in.
tl;dr You'll be fine so long as you put them in a parity based RAID and scrub it frequently. You'll get more data errors than you'd expect, but they'll hold the data they do write just as well.

bipeline ebin

>powering them
>finding connections for them
>storing them
>maintaining their data

Sounds more like a curse than a gift. These would be useless even in the context of a server business. Do the smart thing and sell them on eBay. They are useless.

how expensive is electricity where you're from?
The ~6 Watts of power draw of a single HDD costs ~12€ a year wher I'm from. If you plan to use them in a RAID like some user recommended, you'd be looking at at least ~60€ per year and you get a whopping 2TB of data from that.
Personally I'd just get a single WD Gold/Red with 8-10TB and backup the most important data on an external HDD.
It's quieter, saves money in the long run and probably better for your data as well.

Run them through data recovery and find out if there's any cryptocurrency on them.

Attached: 1_SG-zn9S_XZgqgqUUmW1RiA.jpg (1000x484, 44K)

> and you get a whopping 2TB of data
50*500 = 25 TB, make it 24TB for parity of RAID6, or 21-22TB if there would be some spares.

On hard drives made for DVR boxes? Holy shit you're retarded.

yeah, but that would be 600€ A YEAR of electricity if it runs 24/7, so I decided to go with a more sane amount of 5 HDDs.
For an American that would be less important, but in Europe electricity is expensive AF

300W is 600 EUR?

Attached: 1560175153631.jpg (501x373, 42K)

sell them
buy a hp micro and 4 of the biggest NAS drives you can

Attached: T2.jpg (630x810, 87K)

Yeah, if you run them 24/7 it's 600 buckeroos. 300W*24h = 7200 Wh
7200Wh*365 = 2628 KWh
2628KWh*0,25 cent/KWh = 657€

If you live here you really need to watch all that stuff when you want a connected home, or a NAS.

>$0.25/kwh
>the absolute state of Eurabia

Attached: no.png (853x480, 267K)

Gibs one for cheap fren

Build a crappy wooden case and make a server, like that old pic with the lord of the rings quote that used to be post all the time.

>0,25 cent/KWh
no wonder you guy's don't have air conditioning.

I pay $0.03/KWh.

Reference?

yup, all blower coolers.

Pic related

Attached: IMG_20190610_115447.jpg (2048x1536, 1.41M)

give them back Jamal

At this point is it evem worth setting them up to mine crypto since you got them for free?

Could be useful for Mac Pros, references are usually reflashed in that fashion and then sold as "mac editions" for a nice markup to mactards. That was the case with Terascale GPU, don't know how it is now.

That sounds interesting.
Do Mac's still need their own style video rom/bios?

I haven't had any real apple hardware since the G3 days.
Hackentoshed since 10.5 though.

Here is 10.9 on a wolfdale Pentium dual(775) because apple doesn't make xserv's anymore.

Attached: 15601889143187838559993189613847.jpg (2048x1536, 769K)

this is why raid was invented. to push big single objects at an acceptable data rate from shitty hard drives.

Those are not made for any regular DVR but for surveillance systems, they are designed to skip through write errors so you always have a continuous stream of data even if it gets corrupted.

That sounds like a bad idea to use as a backup drive.

use it as cold archive

fugggg

search for nudes