It actually doesn't suck

it actually doesn't suck

Attached: gnome_logo_3d_by_ilnanny.png (350x350, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xfce.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yea it blows lmao

i think the main reason people dont like gnome is that it rejects the desktop paradigm. that is, of course, a good thing, but for people already accustomed to that way of thinking, they would prefer something else.

ive been trying out gnome for a couple weeks after spending years using a tiling wm, and i have to say, it's really nice. i just don't like having to use a mouse.

It fucking blows, in fact so much that I'd actually go back to Windows 10 after spending a few weeks with fedora on an X220T
The issue here is that it heavily relies on the keyboard despite the toddler toy interface, what the fuck.

fedora should have taken the high IQ route and switched to kde as default years ago

It actually does

Never understood how such a simple DE with lackluster GUI can be so resource hungry
The only good thing to come out of gnome was cinnamon

cinnamon is even worse

A FOOT

this is true. Gnome 3 as default on Ubuntu is nicely designed and imo the most consistent DE, but it's a bit slow.
Cinnamon is pretty good tbqh, I wish there was an official Ubuntu flavor with it. It's not slow at all.

Because of all the background services it runs. No simple DE has daemons for rfkill, clipboard, display color calibration, keyrings, smartcards, sound, print notifications, graphics tablets, power management, MTP, file sharing, media sharing, remote desktop access and its own virtual filesystem running in the background at all times.

kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde kde

also good, looks nicer, but KDE is somehow too confusing to me, Gnome feels more intuitive

3.32 is surprinsingly good, runs smooth even on older hardware and Nautilus was not completely neutered. It took them 32 releases to get it right.
Pretty shure they're gonna fuck up big time soon as they did with Gnome 2. Once they make a DE stable and user friendly they ditch it try to reinvent the wheel, and once it's working they will do it again. Devs dont like stable things (that's why XFCE4 still exists)

kde is confusing because instead of dropping features every release like gnome does they actually add new things and innovate

how? if I want to connect to my bluetooth headphones, or if I want to host a hotspot I HAVE to go to settings in gnome, while in kde it's literally just 2 clicks with no lag. also kde's virtual desktop bindings are superior, makes it function like a TWM.
native programs are also superior in KDE apart from 1-2 programs like Kontact. gwenview okular are all really solid. I cannot understand people that use gnome, if you have some reasons please tell me

Attached: 1559746954604.jpg (720x720, 93K)

I dunno, maybe it's due to me having started with Unity and always having used GTK DEs like XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, Gnome
as I said I think KDE looks really nice but I'm just not accustomed to it
haven't used it all that much to be fair tho, only played around with it for a few hours maybe

fpbp

>native programs are also superior in KDE
it's actually amazing how kde not only vastly surpassed gnome in overall de, customization, and performance, but also provides a full set of amazing native programs with full kde integration. I don't use most of them but the ones that I do use are so fucking good.

I just did
chromium transmission* shotwell rhythmbox totem vlc polari gnome-music gimp evolution gnome-online-accounts reportbug gnome-chrome-shell modemmanager synaptic gnome-documents gnome-contacts gnome-dictionary gnome-calendar gnome-games gnome-todo gnome-logs minissdpd cups-browsed avahi-daemon

and now it is usable for me. Also disable gdomap and destroy geoclue2
Works great for me.

I just did purge this*

just click on minimal installation when you set up Ubuntu, then it doesn't install all the bloat

Attached: ubuntu-18-04-lts-will-let-users-choose-between-normal-and-minimal-installation-520640-2.jpg (2686x1676, 430K)

Nice. Didn't know this. I am on debian currently.

Gnome was built to not use a mouse tho? Or at least as little as possible.

honestly why use ubuntu then? why not use something like fedora?

Post the webm already.

Its a pretty solid DE. I use it because it's basically the flagship DE and the workflow is nice.

This.

I tried it multiple times in the past, using all kinds of extensions to make it mimic the kind of desktop paradigm I was used to, and it ended up sucking because of it. I didn't realize it's aiming for a different kind of functionality; once that clicked and I started using it as it's intended to be used, almost at once it became quite nice.

because Ubuntu is the most popular and most supported distro.

Because Ubuntu just werks. Tried Fedora 30 this weekend and got sick of tweaking stuff just to get basic stuff (like proper font rendering) so just ditched it and trying Manjaro Gnome, so far it's good, only tried manjaro xfce before but they did a nice job with this one.

>complains about GNOME's resource usage
>praises Cinnamon
What?

It really, really does.

Funny, because installing Debian with the 'bloat' option (aka live dvd image, installed through Calamares, had like 2300~ packages out of the box versus 1800 when installing through the netinstall) is the comfiest experience I had in Linux in a long time.
Not giving a fuck about the 'bloat' meme is good, and Buster with all these packages and GNOME 3.30 is running better than Ubuntu minimal with 3.32.

According to my memory, GNOME was like a traditional desktop, then Ubuntu Netbook Remix came out with more of an app screen interface. Fast forward a bit and now GNOME 3 looks like that by default. I can't take it seriously. It looks like a primarily touchscreen interface. How can that be a good thing with no touchscreen?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix was the first time Unity was used. It was built over Gnome 2.
When Gnome 3 dropped and it was a total shitshow, Ubuntu wisely chose to keep Unity as a default desktop since gnome-shell was unusable until many many versions later

>it rejects the desktop paradigm
How? You have an app menu that displays all all of your apps. The dock might be a bit hidden but it's there. I don't like that top left activity corner though.

Windows 7

kek I have a touchscreen and even then the experience is completely worthless
among countless issues plaguing it is that the virtual keyboard is completely uncontrollable, you'd need a javascript extension just to disable it
that's how garbage this freetard DE is

people on Jow Forums hate the default which is gnome, they have to make it feel like they are on windows. Because guess what, nu-g is full of people who just have fallen for the linux meme and feel offended that not all computers work like windows. It works for 99% of people who just install non meme distros that actually work.
It's like a window manager with a tool for finding programs and that's it, pretty minimal and the default applications are well integrated, the settings for printers, screens, sound and so on are also well integrated like you would expect in any decent operative system like android.

Sage in all fields
fpbp
/thread

xfce
simplicity & efficiency
xfce.org/