/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 7I25VyB[1].jpg (1100x866, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mensfeld.pl/2018/07/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-2018-review-sad-story-of-a-potentially-great-ultrabook/
ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SB10K97578-01AV421-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-T480-01AV419-01AV420/113721541287
i.imgur.com/7lVktT4.png
i.imgur.com/LXqaV3n.png)
i.imgur.com/PySOD8T.png)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your advice is greatly appreciated, /tpg/ !

T420s with I5 2520M, 1600*900 HD+, 4GB, 128GB SSD
or
X230 with I5 3320M, 1366*768 IPS, 8GB, 128GB SSD, wireless Thinkpad mouse.

Both are NOS, unopened in box and I am allowed to buy only one for a symbolic price of $1.
Only thing is that the T420s has a slavic keyboard layout while the X230 has the standard US-international one, meaning I would have to replace the T420s's keyboard what would cost me around $30.

It will be mainly used for youtube/Jow Forums in bed/garden/etc, I am not the guy that is able to upgrade cpu/panel and such so upgradeabitity of the device is not really important for me.

So what do you think /tpg/, X230 or T420s?

Attached: IMvrqPf[1].gif (320x320, 905K)

It seems to me these are the best thinkpads:
x200 (if you like libre boot)
x230 flipyaroundydoo touchscreen (if you like resources
ws series (if you want to replace your desktop.

is there a way to get cheap thinkpads outside of usa?
t410s are $140 the cheapest where i live

X230. Much comfier to use, significantly better iGPU and cuter. If you dislike the chiclet style keyboard you can swap in an xx20 keyboard with a simple EC flash

is 1599€ (1800$) for a 6th gen X1 carbon 1080p, i7 8550u, 512gb ssd and 16gb ram a decent deal or not? never looked into thinkpads before so i cant tell

>X230
>$899
yikes..

>I am allowed to buy only one for a symbolic price of $1.

get a pie and a clip and buy bios locked pads then libreboot

my bf gay

1 USD? I don't get it...

why the fuck are thinkpads so expensive where i live holy shit im so mad

Europe?

I don't know where you're getting 900 dollars from but he's buying one of the laptops for one dollar

I didn't say anything about 900... Read it again, dipshit

>>X230
>>$899
>>yikes..

??? Not me, asshole!!

Are you nigger or just retarded?

HP Elitebook 2560p
Intel i5-2540M 2.6 ate 3.3Ghz
8GB Ram (up to 16Gb)
SSD 250Gb

240€ (~271,55$)

Do you think it's worth it ?

For what?

Just programming and pentesting

Depends what kind of programming, but to ma after a while old processors grew annoying.

Right now chilling with T460s and coudln't be happier. Well, almost.

My IPS screen is faulty and on some solid colours (ie. light gray) there are vertical lines. Not too anoying, but I know it is there

Does anyone own an A series? Is the build quality on par with the T series?

How much would it cost to ask a repair shop to open and clean my laptop from dust since it keeps overhearing? I don't have the time to clean or manpower it and I'm in NY

They're literally T or X-series with AMD CPUs

t440 yay/nay?

>can't open laptop to clean out dust
The absolute state of Jow Forums.
Nay, T440s or T440p only.

Attached: left the gpu in the oven again.png (199x283, 65K)

Need some advice Jow Forums!
Looking for a workstation to do some CAD work.
Torn between W541 and Precision M4800.
Read some reviews telling that W541 is less robust and heat management is subpar. Also M4800 is rumoured to be very loud when fans spin up, but on the bright side I heard it can use quadro M2000M with some mods. 3K display is nice on the W541 and easy to come by, but I havent seen much M4800 with high res display. They cost about the same in my area. Please help to decide!

That's what I was almost certain of. Thanks.

Attached: 1538568832800.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

I got a well specced P52 from work, I've been a MacBook man for a while, but i'm really impressed with the thing. I wish they didn't slap RHEL 7.6 on there though.

The keyboard is really nice, and the blinding amount of LEDs on it are kinda cute. I thought I wouldn't like the plastic finish, but it isn't that bad really. I just wish it wasn't so thicc! Worth it for the 6 cores and 32 gigs ram though; it helps with the massive gradle project i've to work with.

Get something with a quadro card if you can afford it, something from the P line. It really helps with bigger projects, but something else will be fine if you are only working with parts and small assemblies.

Please respond, I live in a ghetto area and work full shifts. By the time I come home, I'm spent and the people that live with me won't stand me taking my laptop apart

Help a Jow Forumsuy out

ugh
Probably like $50 if I had to guess.

Both have Quadro K2100M but some guys could make the precision work with quadro M2000M (from HP Zbook G3). Unfortunately the newer Thinkpad P-series are over my budget,

I fucking hate the unecessarily asymmetrical thinkpads like the widescreen 15.4" t60, but i noticed that there is an obscure model of it where it is as far as i can tell fully symmetrical. Pic related. My question is, is there there a t61 14" widescreen that is symmetrical.

Attached: wtf.png (2524x1198, 1.46M)

whats the highest resolution t60 15" 4:3 display, flexview of course. I could have sworn there is a 2.5k ips one that even came with led backlighting from the factory, i dont mean the 2048 one i mean 2500 or so.

dont worry, i have the p51 fully specced, its powerful but kinda ugly, no screen latch, no structural integrity to the screen (its got a pressure damage mark on it from being in my bag with a little weight on top of it. Idk why but they removed the strong frame they usually have around the display, they did this around the t440~ model, before this one they still had the boxy strong metal frame for the display. Also you can fucking twist the newer displays because how thin and un-reinforced it is.

i should say i believe i heard someone found one they could get to work.

W500 powerful enough to watch muh youtubes in 1080p? My X200T shits the bed on anything above 480p

Attached: 1530004899935.jpg (1030x1060, 160K)

Hey guys, looking for a thinkpad that I can use for work that runs Windows 98, preferably shipped with it. A USB port or compatability with a dock as well. I'm looking at a 770 or 600e. What do you guys think?

Attached: image.png (428x625, 730K)

Yeah

Attached: LINE_1559959540139.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

Thanks, friend.
Nice 2hu, give her plenty of sips from the monster to keep her healthy.

Can a T420 run 1600Mhz RAM? Or only up to 1333Mhz?

Hello guys

Attached: IMG_1158.jpg (4000x3000, 1.54M)

>My X200T shits the bed on anything above 480p
wut, my x61t works fine with 1080p jewtube as long as isn't 720p60 or 1080p60

wat? Wasn't DXVA or VA-API supposed to make HD playback smooth?
>inb4 10-bit playback
just get 8-bit video user.

would anyone happen to know where i could get the 44c3926 motherboard?

also anyone do the quadcore QX9300 mod for a t60?

mensfeld.pl/2018/07/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-2018-review-sad-story-of-a-potentially-great-ultrabook/

don't do it senpai. I almost bought the sixth gen for $1349 during americlap sale it was so tempting.

*sips*
Yep. They just dont make em like they used to

My first ever Thinkpad X200 arrived today.
It's the most beautiful thing I've ever owned.
I haven't even been able to boot it yet (no battery or charger) and I'm already looking at others with the same specs.
This is the slipperiest slope I've ever found myself on, holy shit - Worse than opiates. There should be a warning in the OP.
I need to collect as many of these as possible while they're still in decent working order.

Attached: amazing.jpg (344x256, 72K)

wait, i thought thinkpads were good? what is this general even for then?

Thoughts on Xeon p72?

Is this battery legit?
ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SB10K97578-01AV421-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-T480-01AV419-01AV420/113721541287

Thanks

no the t61 model had an Arial there for the sim card near the battery

check if yours has one

I enjoy the cold metal feeling when they arrive in the post

hello /g annons i wanted to buy X200 for a while but i dont trust egay how do i get them in Serbia??

I just bought a T430 with 8gb of ram, a 256gb Samsung SSD and an i5. It should arrive tommorow or the day after tommorow. Did I do good or fuck up?

The point is to get old ones–they are better and cheaper

but i dont want it to be cheap. i just want the price to be reasonable, thats all.

I have 1000€ to spend on a laptop for my gf.
RULES:
1. The money needs to be spent on one purchase, so buying parts is out of the picture!
2.If I buy a 300€ laptop the rest of the money is unusable!

She has been using a MacBook for 10 years, anything will do, I'm just trying to squeeze every last drop of this money.
Only request 14'' preferably maximum 15.6''
Wich thinkpad should I get?

Attached: ideal_gf.jpg (640x852, 344K)

The old ones are also more durable, have more ports, better keyboard, more modifiable, etc. New thinkpads aren't really any better than any other new laptop. I guess they're good, but there's nothing really great about them.

wow thats kind of sad

X220 Tablet.
What should I do on alpine to make my volume and brightness keys work? I'm using awesomewm, as well. I've read a bunch of different methods, but I can't tell what the meaningful differences are.
Also, I currently don't have pulseaudio installed--alsa has done everything I've needed so far.
What am I missing out on if I don't have pulse?

If you have to get her a practical laptop, get her a lightly used HP from last year or something. Thinkpads are about as feminine as a Glock, and she would be humiliated to use one in public.

Does anyone know when ThinkPad with Ryzen Mobile 3000 series will hit the shelves?

>fell for the linux meme
It works on Windows by default... dunno... maybe the OS that was developed by traps in their moms basement isn't that great?

Hey ThinkPadBros is the T450s good for 290$? It has 1080p screen with i5 and 250ssd and 8gigs ram.

Should I sell my E580 for a 500$ and buy the T450s and save money? I need it for studying.

How do new ThinkPads compare to other Lenovo laptops like the Yoga?

There are ThinkPad Yogas and non-ThinkPad Yogas. ThinkPad is better business quality.

I use the T450s for uni since 3 years and it has been pretty good. Screen Brightness is OK for modern standards, good battery life. I have one with same specs except mine has touchscreen but I never use it, just makes the laptop thicker and heavier, eats battery and shines in sunlight. It also scratches on the keyboard when lid is closed. I would get the non-touch version IPS. Imho it will last through uni.
290 is a bit much tho.

I have a thousand euros to spend. I'm not buying used

With financial acumen like that, you're surely going places.
Sent from my 2000 euro Elitebook bought for 400 when it was less than six months old.

Hello, I will receive my first thinkpad in a few days (a T430 with 900p display, forgot wich i5 ,4GB and 120GB SSD) and was wondering
if these RAM I want to order will work with the T430? 2x8GB DDR3L: i.imgur.com/7lVktT4.png

Also I'm thinking of getting a HDD caddy tray because it's cheap AF ( i.imgur.com/LXqaV3n.png)
and this backlit keyboard (i.imgur.com/PySOD8T.png) as the one in the T430 is in Swedish or something. (i've read you guys don't like the chicklet keyboard, I have no problem with it tho)

Now, I've heard/read the T430 can get quite hot and people 'fix' that by installing a different Thinkpad model's CPU cooler/fan, can anyone tell me what cooler/fan that would be and/or if that will really be necessary for a T430 that is only gonna be used as a win10 youtube/internet machine?

Attached: KRP9p4V[1].png (500x386, 46K)

>bought for 400 when it was less than six months old
Enjoy the crumbs I leave you, poorfag.

Do you have anywhere to buy it for 300$ or less? I'd love to get one to my sister as well.

I am thinkng about buying T440s that has FHD-display. It's IPS right?

Hey guys

Idab here

I just got a t440p in mint condition

Ama

I'll post pics soon.

The LAST good thinkpad ever made.

So I bought a T430 with the i7 3520m

Haven't swapped anything out yet, but I'm getting a decent pay check and i'll be able to next week

What should I upgrade first?
I'm most likely going to swap the CD drive for another HDD bay and swap out the 2 4gb 12000 ram for 2 8gb sticks. I opened her up to do that and I could only find one stick

Attached: thinkplaid.png (1366x768, 155K)

I have a T430 and use it for light gaming

It's pretty good out of the box, but can't play anything made after 2015

yoga is shit

if i unplug the computer, it loses internet

if i bend the computer, the mouse clicks

stick to a thinkpad

I've bought 2 laptops from Ebay and they both stunk like shit. Bad luck or is this typical.

What the fuck? The only thing I have ever bought online that had any odour was a Japanese model Sega Saturn wrapped in 4 year old newspaper and even then it was just the slightly rotted newspaper that had a slight odour.
Are all my fellow ThinkPad owners really smelly neckbeards?

On reading much more I realize I should have bought a W530...

The air of the area must have been polluted. That's what you're smelling more than anything. The people on the other end might not even smell it because of the smell literally being on everything.

This is part of the reason fresh packs of pokemon cards always smelled weird

Attached: 1530929317267.gif (500x396, 1.36M)

I get the feeling that it was in the back of someones Attic for years before they sold it to a retarded /vr/Jow Forumsin gaijin who had watched the Segata Sanshiro commercials too many times and wanted a white Sega Saturn.

Does anyone know what thinkpad model this (see pic) could be?

Ad says only "13.3" screen, AMD CPU/GPU, 8GB RAM, HDMI, 180GB SSD, 3G/4G, 2 batteries "

Attached: slika-1406212-5cfec3658f62d-velika[1].jpg (800x451, 91K)

what distro for my X200 libreboot?

1 more pic

Attached: slika-1406212-5cfec37e591b4-velika[1].jpg (800x1419, 214K)

Gentoo

Attached: 1533163783376.jpg (480x478, 56K)

Oh, it's only $80 (what is really extremely cheap over here) and I just saw it says it comes with 1 same model thinkpad for free for spare parts. But the fucker didn't write down what model and CPU it is..

No 13.3' inch Thinkpad uses an AMD CPU and also has 3G/4G so it must be an older model with an upgradable CPU socket upgraded with an AMD CPU which means no one here will be able tell you if its a good deal.
You need more information but could be getting a cool custom machine. I'm inclined to think $80 for a working ThinkPad and one for spare parts is a steal though. Message the seller

What about the HP ones?

Sounds sketchy as fuck, user

>East Euro
We literally just parted a pile of T420 at 80€ a piece and T430 at 120€ a piece (HDD, 8GB, 900p, 9cell).
Mind you that's still close to a week's wage around here, but pretty cheap in absolute numbers.

I'm thinking it's a ThinkPad X120e or X100e and the 13.3 inch thing is erroneous

Attached: ==.jpg (775x500, 75K)

definitely not since it has lid latches

no latches on those...I'd say worth it for $80 if you can pick it up in person and check it out before handing over the $$$...

given everything i'd told you do you think that i just collect those pieces of shit for a good time or something?

Neither of which have fingerprint scanners which seems to.

>$80 for a working ThinkPad and one for spare parts is a steal though

I know, but it somehow sounds too good to be true. I messaged the seller, but I think it's some kinda scam. I mean, in my country only those 8GB of RAM and 180GB SSD cost $80 (if not more).

Very sketchy even. Especially since he/she did manage to make (crappy) photos but none of a open laptop so one can see the model number. But I've sent them a message, just to be sure. The seller lives in the same city as I do BTW, so if it turns out to be something nice, i'll go and pick it up after checking the specs in front of him.