I'm a mechanical engineering student and I want to go all the way and wipe windows from my laptop and install linux...

I'm a mechanical engineering student and I want to go all the way and wipe windows from my laptop and install linux. I use arch on an external ssd, but I rather have it installed internally. Unironically convince me to keep windows, do I need it for anything or should I just wipe it?

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Linux is just a kernel. Install GNU.

I'm probably going to clone my arch ssd to my internal ssd

you can use Windows Subsystem for Linux

Use dxvk and wine or qemu for anything you *absolutely* can't use on linux. Most engineering software will have a linux edition. Nuke it.

Mech eng here with no windows.
Which CAxx program are you using?

>mechanical engineering student
Alright dude, but Autodesk doesn't support Linux.

Nothing to it but to do it.

>Alright dude, but Autodesk doesn't support Linux.
lol

Solidworks doesn't play at all with WINE, so your gonna need to use a VM for it...

It's easier to dual boot

But Siemens NX does, and Autodesk was always a shitty entry/low mid level stuff, it isn’t surprising that nobody uses it in car industry (except Alias, but that’s CAS).

>autodesk
lol

I do have a desktop with windows, but I'd prefer a linux laptop, think I should to use my laptop for Cad since its mobileor should I just leave it for my desktop

Gemes

CentOS or fedora, everything else is a meme that tries to be special because they don't like red hat.
Red Hat is basically CARRYING the Linux development. Other distros are too busy with coc, trannies, being zoomer distros that ship with steam, being Jow Forumsentoomen, being obscure pony distros, and/or but not last being a one man project like slackware.
So, run a Fedora laptop like a man that needs to get shit done

>But Siemens NX
nx 12 will be the last. they officially dropped linux support on any future versions.

gaming and some mainstream apps are much better with windows but windows is shit and if linux supported all the newest games I would never use windows for anything

seriously this
it blows my mind that people on this board spend hours and hours making stuff work that nobody should ever have to deal with, things like usb automounting and other wm goofiness is pure autism for autisms sake

enlighten me further on this concept

You're going to be wasting your time.
Pretty much all ME software is windows only.

I have to say it though, Gentoo is a fine operative system.
Though, I couldn't get automount working on PCmanFM or anything like thunar.
I had to do manual mtp mounting.
I think he means that Jow Forums uses meme distros that are broken out of the box so they feel like they actually have work (their own computer).
Or snowflake distros that are not even used in the real world.
CentOS

>Never even consider those
You need to understand that everybody has different use cases and needs to accomplish different things.

they are all covered by those in the upper part, retard. As I said, those are just a bunch of forks which accomplish nothing that the original did. Or are just snowflakes trying to do things different without any practical purpose in mind.
Alpine is fine, that one with musl which can be easily embedded. You would find them if you have an specific need. But for desktop those are dogshit that needs to die.
Fuck off poojeet, you have to bump those numbers on distrowatch so get out

You're a noob.

So the idea is that some people on Jow Forums enjoy working on poorer distros and finding solutions to their problems while most people just want something that works immediately without the hassle?

You are stupid, aren't you?

Why do you want us to convince you of anything? Aren't you best positioned to know whether you need Windows or not?

Attached: confused.jpg (505x431, 31K)

Every now and then you will have to access some MS Office document, edit it, and send it back/elsewhere. With Libreoffice there's always this bit of uncertainty whether it messed up the data format. Sometimes there's not even that and you know right away that it's not going to work. With this in mind it can be scary to go full Linux and it can be good to keep a backup at least.

Personally, I deleted my last usable windows install in 2012 and I'm not looking back. I don't think I will have to put up with any of that shit anymore.

You're most likely going to be forced to deal with proprietary software, make sure it has a Linux version or runs fine on Wine. I'm in CE and I got rid of Windows with no issues, all the proprietary shit I have to use has a native Linux version.

does your school offer a computer lab with microsoft windows installed?
if so, then you dont need windows.