Why are GPUs so retardedly expensive? they cost more than the rest of a build combined

why are GPUs so retardedly expensive? they cost more than the rest of a build combined.

Attached: EMttfZeLJaxqrgnAxogiZF[1].jpg (1920x1080, 769K)

it can make you money literally 5 different ways

so can a CPU. so can a PC period. what's your point?

Cores on a CPU:
~4-16
Cores on a GPU:
>over a thousand

Attached: AMD.jpg (800x208, 64K)

>Am using pic related now (FOR 4 YEARS AND 10 MONTHS) so almost 5 years

>got a 4k 60hz display last year so i'm well overdue to buy a newer card (preferably the 2080)

>I just refuse to pay fucking €750 for an RTX 2080 cause thats insane

>"The next best thing is right around the corner, just wait!" is what they have been telling me for years now

I just want a good card that supports my needs without spending more than half my monthly salery on one

Attached: asusgtx780.jpg (3232x2472, 1.19M)

you need to go back

Used 1080ti from an upgrade cuck

go back to where?

there arent any good used 1080ti's that havent been destroyed by mining, also the price of those available equals the price of a new 2080 which is faster anyway

Why did u get a 4k display if you aren't willing to spend money for the parts to run it? Should've stuck with 1440p.

Because I do more than just play videogames, 4K is better for almost everything

especially watching 4K footage

So that's the sacrifice you will have to live with.

Because new games are so retardedly demanding that GPUs are now dedicated CPU+GPU+memory monsters with 1000 cores with multiple cooling needs, and they need to handle the whole load of work to let you dumb faggots play at 4k 120fps with memetracing and """ultra""" fur rendering.
1080@60 is the optimal spot for gaming, anything more is g-penis and RGB effects.

cope

so what is the point of owning a pc? why not just own a gpu with a monitor?

dumb /v/ poster

>comparing a cpu with a gpu

>HURRRR MORE CORES

end yourself

Because China doesn't have a tech company making GPUs to compete with nVidia and AMD for cheaper prices.

You definitely can't play 4k 120fps with any single card on the market in new games.

>spending more than $500 on a GPU for games
Why?

Attached: 1b77pc4c2cl21.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

And that's exactly why prices skyrocketed.
I wouldn't need expensive GPUs to make money of retards hadn't begun hoarding them to make digital money.

The only way you'll get their prices down is if you boycott their product and buy competitors, even if the competitors uses slightly more power but performs better and is 20-30% cheaper.

>Nvidia dictate retarded prices
>AMD announce prices that result in roughly the same price performance ratio
>hurr buy competitors
There are no other competitors, and clearly Nvidia and AMD don't seem interested in a price race.

The funny thing is that there is a company that could really shake up the GPU world and possibly crush everyone else in their sleep if they got up the nerve to make a real GPU.

The only catch is that its name is Intel. *ducks*

It’s a mini pc you retard

Big pieces of silicon that target relatively limited TAM.

because you buy new. you can get a gtx 1070 for under $200 used. suck it up and buy pre-owned.

>20-30% cheaper for more 5-10% more performance but more power usage
Nice going retard.

What GPU are you talking about now, and what GPU are you comparing it to? Because the new 57 cards are an incremental improvement in performance, cost very nearly the same as comparable Nvidia cards, and power consumption hasn't even been mentioned which makes me think it's not very good.

One is mining (which is dead) what are the other 4 ?

They are basically a computer within a computer. And they do a shit load of work.

57 cards are ~20% improvements over Vega 64 with lower power consumption rate. The 5700XT is ~7% faster and 10% cheaper than RTX 2070.

5700XT TDP was 225 W if I recall right. They increased their pipeline for higher clocks and decreased the stream processor in comparison to vega.

10% cheaper than the launch price of the RTX 2070, but the RTX 2070 doesn't cost $500 anymore. And I can't recall them showing that it was 7% faster. They've shown one World War Z comparison where you couldn't even read the frame counter.

They showed like bunch of games and comparison between 2070/5700XT. Some of them had AMD winning by quite a large margin and others AMD losing by 1-2%. PUBG was one where 5700XT was shown to be winning by a large margin. PUBG is a nVidia/EPIC game that uses unreal engine and has baked in gameworks middleware. AMD does terrible with any of the unreal engine due to default baking of gameworks/physix/etc.

>muh 3 wagecuck pajeets from R&D department are eating all our budget, i promise!

Nvidia is why
Buy an rx 580. If you're build is the price you say it is, even that is probably overkill

Used v64 1080 10801080ti or vii

1080p/144 *

Rx 570 vs 1050ti/1060(3gb)
Rx580 vs 1060 (6gb)

Navi (cheap) vs 1660ti
Navi (mid) vs 2060
Navi (bigger) vs 2070

Navi (max) vs 2080 (?) Next year

They are making xe gpu. I'm with xer

It costs what $460? It is not a big difference

because executives want to be filthy rich but demand is limited.

it doesn't matter how many cores. they literally just print them. production cost is close to nothing.

This

Because your are buying a shitty cpu for gayming. Middle range cpus are as expensive as graphic cards.

This man speaks the truth. I'm rocking a nearly dead 270x. It's time to find a new hobby, this is now beyond saving.

Attached: 1538397572528.jpg (754x1158, 85K)

GPU has more silicon area than rest of your build combined. It's also made on the most expensive node on the market.

Buy a used 1080ti, or if you want cheaper, 980ti.

Used GPU market is retarded in €uroland. People expect to get what they paid during the mining craze, not what would be reasonable based on the performance of recent cards and pricing.

What's a PC period? Does it happen every month?

I'm not but maybe deep learning, being a gamer, and not much I can think of. And this is me playing the devil's advocate. To be quite honest, it's a bunch of expensive metal to me. But I'm old (30) and I no longer play videogames, so don't mind me.

you can buy 2kg of silicon for 1$

>nvidia 10 series
>used for mining
>1080 ti used for mining when RX exists
absolute retard

Which gpu is the best?

Attached: PicsArt_06-11-05.38.15.png (2048x2048, 2.99M)

Crypto mining.

>you can buy 2kg of silicon for 1$
Too much demand for manufacturing, there's only two companies that can manufacture the latest GPUs and AMD/Nvidia have to bid against Apple, Qualcomm, all other high end ARM SoCs and AMDs CPU division.

Left is 50 dollars more than the right

Yeah, and the 5700 XT was announced at $450. Virtually the same price with what AMD claim to be better performance. I'll believe it when I see independent reviews on release.

Just hope chinks start selling their chink bootlegs for a tenth of the price

crypto miners increased demand for them and they are willing to pay quite a bit

because mama lisa and papa huang are on the same side and they do price fixing

Because Nvidia jacked the prices and AMD decided that rather than counter them with actual value, they'll jack the prices too.