Unless you're one of those compulsive idiots who build a new pc after two years

because insecurity and various other reasons
the wise and sane thing to do is to have patience and in the the right timing purchase a mobo that supports emerging technologies such DDR5 & PCIe 5.0
that would be aprox 2021-2022

Attached: bade18ef-b762-461f-940d-9f0e3074e564.gif (640x352, 822K)

>insecurity
exactly, older hardware are more vulnerable so you should buy new hardware

> falling for memes before they're even memes
the absolute state of turboautism

no actually I think now is a better time to replace my Nehalem system than three years from now

There is nothing new that DDR4 brought compared to DDR3, and PCIe 5 is at least 4 years away. There is literally zero reason to wait for DDR5. The same bandwidth will be available on higher end DDR4 sticks. The only difference will be that DDR5 will be more expensive and will have more loose timings.

>DDR5 & PCIe 5.0
Neither of these mean shit. Just get a CPU* with as many cores and the motherboard that can handle the most RAM as you can afford, wait 5 years and wash rinse repeat.

*Obviously either Intel Core series or AMD Ryzen, not some meme shit CPU

Mr Delid this,
I'm exactly doing this, holding out since i5 2400. But for anything that isn't browsing internet and other braindead normie tasks the CPU is useless? Also HDD is nearing its death, win7 is almost dead too, and so on, and I don't want to get new licenses or waste money for old parts for the current stepping stool computer.

What am I supposed to do?

> purchase a mobo that supports emerging technologies such DDR5 & PCIe 5.0
This desu. Zen 2 is good, but it won't become worse, right? These CPUs don't have a DDR5 controller, so it's gonna be a new socket incompatible with old CPUs. I'll wait a year or two.

> What am I supposed to do?
Buy a Xeon 1230 and an SSD from chinks. Honestly should've done it three years ago, it's just $100.

>he doesnt wait 50 years of PCIe 68.2 and DDR35

>*Obviously either Intel Core series or AMD Ryzen, not some meme shit CPU
LOL

Attached: 1533917294091.png (2027x1524, 2.04M)

Yeah, I'm not waiting any longer. Pic related. Zen 2 can't come soon enough.

Attached: Speccy.png (492x285, 15K)

same cpu gpu and ram over here
gonna spring for the 12 core ryzen in july

>DDR5
literally does not have a spec yet
>PCIe 5.0
just got a spec meanwhile implementing 4.0 for consumers has taken 2 years since spec release and bumped the minimum cost of mobos up so hard that budget boards are restricting it to a few slots and using 3.0 for the rest
>12 core ryzen
seems to be the sweet spot imho gonna do the same and grab the 5700, hope there are package deals/bundle n save from the mobo makers

>literally does not have a spec yet
What? Manufacturers have already begun volume productio for server markets in 2020
We'll get it in 2021 in time for ryzen4 and intel's 10nm

>Manufacturers have already begun volume productio [of DDR5] for server markets in 2020
>We'll get it in 2021 in time for ryzen4 and intel's 10nm
Unless you have a pathological workload that bottlenecks hard on memory bandwidth, it doesn't mean a whole lot. If you could magically replace everybody's computer running DDR4 with an equal amount of DDR2, most would barely notice, if you subbed in DDR3, a fraction of a percent would be able to tell any difference.
What we need is a new paradigm in CPU design to really get us to where we can all agree "this is the future". More cores are great but cluster computing has been a thing since Amdahl led the way in 1967 so while core counts in the double digits are great, it's not revolutionary. Faster memory and faster busses are great but that's the tail wagging the dog and it just isn't that exciting after the decade long stagnation in desktop capability.
I mean, there is practically nothing my computer can do now that I couldn't do reasonably well with my core2duo e7400 with 4 GB of DDR2.

Building bew PC's is quite educational and even enjoyable when they actually work. Which mine do.
Sometime I use second hand components but most of the time my built boxes have the latest brand-new parts (SSD, GPU card, lots of fans, PSU, RAM sticks, etc.) in them.

Attached: working.jpg (250x250, 46K)

I cant, half my computer is 8 years old.

I'm happy for you, user. Wish I could afford it too.

>Rocking Gen 3 i5 3.4 ghz with DDR3.
>People think that is crazy for a gaming PC
>Know something big is coming so not upgrading shit
I survived the AGP to PCIe jump perfectly. I can weather this out as well to get to the next big tech jump. Right now a lot of it is flat per cost really.
Though I do admit a 16+ core CPU is tempting for my virtual host on the DMZ. Toss in enough RAM and some SSDs and you are set for hosting tons of games with the right broadband access.

Attached: 1558632429847.gif (400x285, 1.87M)

>I survived the AGP to PCIe jump perfectly.
Yep, I had no problem gaming with the Nvidia 6800 in my Athlon 2800+ back in 2004. My buddy had a similar computer except with PCIe and a 6600GT. I still got better framerates in Half Life 2. If you don't have a very specifically bottlenecked workload, it takes years for the peripheral makers to saturate a new bus speed jump.
Of course the flip side to that is when they do start making good use of it, the kit you waited to buy will be headed toward obsolescence so you'll probably be thinking about upgrading anyway! c'est la vie

Why do you niggers need so much power?

I used an Athlon 3000 XP with a ATI 9600, eventually upgraded it to 2gb up until 2013 where I switched to a Q6700 and a GTX 460 that I'm still using with 8gb ram.

I just bought this M4800 with everything but the 2k/4k screen for $280 and it blows it away, running VM's and games at the same time, 20+ tabs.

The hell are you all doing where you're running out of hardware resources?

Attached: zFZ9uOw.jpg (3296x2472, 1.56M)

>just wait forever, bro!

The young man at Best Buy said I need it for multimedia and HD. I upgrade every year to keep the viruses away

Attached: 1558613374012-g.jpg (895x653, 59K)

You guys are fucking crazy. I'm still using AM3+ shit, and my laptop isn't even 64 bit. I have no desire to upgrade.

Attached: Untitled.png (503x352, 12K)