What's a good chat platform akin to Discord which is both popular and has better privacy?

What's a good chat platform akin to Discord which is both popular and has better privacy?
I heard Tox and Riot are good.
Which one is the best one?

Attached: brain_nuclei.png (332x289, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sweet32.info/
controlgap.com/blog/nist-moves-on-sweet32/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IRC

IRC is not very good for privacy. It is not P2P, and it often stores logs.

IRC servers don't store logs. Individuals can but that's with every messaging platform. You can use OTP or pretty much any other form of encryption because all it is is text.

IRC doesn't support end-to-end encryption.

OTR

Just because there is no client implementation does not mean IRC does not support it. The protocol will pass along text just fine.

>popular and has better privacy
doesnt exist

Personally use Riot, :matrix.org server for general communication and a personal server for work.

>there is no client implementation (of end-to-end encryption)

Not to mention the possible IP leaks.

Sensible networks such as rizon.net do not leak IP addresses but instead mask them by default.

raises a good point with OTR. I use it often on IRC and it's pretty painless to use.

>IRC servers don't store logs
Depends on the server
Some probably do

>OTR
If you can be arsed to set up OTR with another person, you might as well just use some platform that makes it less painful and, ideally, also uses a better protocol (e.g. OMEMO, Olm/Megolm or any other Signal-style E2EE protocol)

Additionally, IRC doesn't support multi-device use, requires you to be always online, has no offline messaging, no server-side history and seldom supports remote echo and protocol message receipt acknowledgement
Matrix is probably the closest to the proper (open protocol, good E2EE support, decentralized) chat protocol we have

It's a shame that the matrix project is driven only by their investors as opposed to being truly open. Personally I'm a big fan of Jabber as well since it is pretty mature at this point.

Community can contribute to both code and spec
They probably wouldn't try to fight any compatible extensions to the protocol, even if they wouldn't always get into the official spec
Also, there's still that one protocol fork (The Grid) where some dev got into an argument with New Vector about how to implement certain stuff

They can, but it's pretty much guaranteed that features coined by investors get prioritized and that's a bad look for an open source project if you ask me. It just invites needless politics.

Yeah, they get prioritized by the New Vector devs
Nothing is stopping other contributors from focusing on any other features
There's nothing strange or wrong with devs being paid to work on specific parts of FOSS projects

Mumble, IRC and XMPP
Speaking of Mumble you should join our server
iswc.pw 64738

Why does no one talk about bbs servers?
Can't you just encrypt those babies and just hand out hashes to your friends.
Set up a private block chain?

IRC.

Which is literally the last bastion of free speech at this point.

>is literally the last bastion of free speech at this point.
What about 4ch*n and 4channel

>centralized service
>free speech
That's not how it works.

Literally any idiot can set up an IRC server.

> what is SSL?
> what is blowfish?
proceed to kill yourself

And talk to themselves? That's not quite the same as email, XMPP, Matrix, Tox, etc. where you can talk to anyone on the network. With everyone in the conversation being on a single server, it's only as free as the server owner permits.

>SSL
>end-to-end encryption
>Blowfish being relevant in 201X
You aren't very smart, are you?

> i have no idea what im talking about!
and nobody was surprised

> he thinks blowfish isn't used daily in 2019
my sides. blowfish is still used and still uncrackable. thanks for playing: im just pretending to be retarded. now, go back to your tranny discord and fucking stay there, you dumb cunt.

SSL is not E2E encryption.
The Blowfish cipher isn't regarded as very secure these days (assuming you're not actually talking about Twofish). Also, ECB mode is not very secure way of using it in general.
Stop spouting nonsense. If you want to suggest an E2E plugin, at least mention OCR or something else that's sane.

sweet32.info/
controlgap.com/blog/nist-moves-on-sweet32/