Genuinely wanting an actual Jow Forums answer here so firstly let me apologise for it only being half about technology...

Genuinely wanting an actual Jow Forums answer here so firstly let me apologise for it only being half about technology. I don't want to post this in /v/ because I know the retarded sorts of answers I'll get; I also rarely lurk there.

Anyway, what is it with gaymers getting their knickers in a twist about the Epic Launcher? Are their complaints well founded enough about some Chinese fucks harvesting some innocuous data? Is it because they are slaves to Steam after so many years? Not trolling, genuinely want an answer to this. I trust the opinion of Jow Forums more who actually at least know something botnets and privacy.

Attached: file.png (1200x800, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/fuckepic/comments/bs4kh6/rfuckepic_for_dummies_a_quick_breakdown/
nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/19/epic-in-hot-water-over-steam-scraping-code/
forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/01/16/new-fortnite-vulnerabilities-put-80m-player-accounts-at-risk/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For one, EGS has already had multiple serious data breaches (Steam had one a few years ago, but the info leaked was benign). For two, EGS basically tells Linux users to fuck off. For three, their practice of buying out already-finished software is highly unsustainable and will eventually kill the platform once their cash cows dry up.

Breaches of what? You say serious but what does that involve exactly? The company would be liable if it was actual "serious data". EGS almost tells Windows users to fuck off, go figure. It still doesn't inhibit you in any way from playing the games they sell. They're accommodating for the highest market share OS; would you focus on Linux as well as that kuch of a priority? People seem to forget how long it took for Steam to come to Linux but I digress. Finally, what makes you think Fortnite is gonna stop pumping money anytime soon?

It's because EGS wants to end consumer reviews and offers less features than Steam. EGS also use stupid arguments to shit on Steam and stupid arguments to defend EGS but you already knew all of this, didn't you faggot?

Most of the complains you heard about are most likely true, but the actual reasons why so many people are mad, are
>muh brand loyalty
>muh another launcher

It's a shit launcher with no user friendly features, a shit store with no features, and instead of persuading you want to use their shitty shit by actually making it not shitty, they instead try to force you to use them in order to play the exclusive titles they paid for. Of course since they shat out an assload of free games, zoomers and other retards love them and immediately bought into their bullshit, thus ensuring this shit show will be prolonged well into the future. A future of nothing but pure shit.

I don't want to use another launcher. If the game ain't on Steam, it ain't worth my time.

It offers nothing over Steam and GOG and they are trying to force themselves into the market by buying bullshit exclusivity deals.

No they don't lmao where the hell are you pulling this from? I'm not for Epic Games remotely, let me be clear about that. The point of the thread is for some clear and objective facts; you haven't stated any so you're not contributing anything.

I only use this Epic thing for the free games lol. Never gonna buy shit, I only buy for my Switch.

>Breaches of what? You say serious but what does that involve exactly?

Credit card numbers, billing addresses, plus their refund system regularly sends info to the wrong people. As for Fortnite, interest is starting to wane. It's not going to disappear overnight, but within 2 years it's going to be around the same popularity as SC2

This is exactly my point. My friend and I roll our eyes to the backs of our heads every time some new outburst hits Jewtube or so called journalist articles.

People invest too much money and time into steam. And when strong competitor appears it make them realize how fragile and ephemereal their DRM games library is.
All complaints about EGS it's what called rationalization in psychology. Thereis no real issues with EGS

There's nothing wrong with liking another brand more if they offer a better service, which steam and gog do by leaps and bounds. And not wanting to have to use yet another launcher is a perfectly valid complaint as well. If you had common sense you would realize this.

I mean again, it's this sort of shit that I find hard to comprehend and digest properly because you just sound like an angry kid going with the mob and complaining over very very trivial things. You make it sound like they're inhibiting you from playing games on their platform. You're complaining about features in a store when it doesn't impact your gameplay remotely. Exclusivity isn't a new concept, and again, it doesn't impact you as a consumer; why the fuck do you give a shit about any of this? Are you in your twenties or something or did you forget that Steam used to be just like the Epic Launcher when it was starting out?

To conclude, this is why I made the thread. What is the objective reasoning behind people crying over nothing of any real relevance?

There's your "muh brand loyalty"

t. Tim sweeny

This is a perfectly reasonable action to take. I have no qualms with this as it's my own prerogative too. That said, I wouldn't bitch and moan about having to buy a game from another store and using a different launcher, it's not that big a deal. Many other companies do this for their own games like Origin, yet people don't seem to batter an eyelid about them.

Have you got any citation for this? I wouldn't mind reading how this went down. I mean the great thing is, leaked credit cards aren't that big of a deal as you're covered by the CC company. Billing addresses are filed under the "Who cares?" tab again, and if a refund was sent to the wrong person, then they'll just reissue another one. It's Epic who would lose out in that regard.

I do agree with you that Fortnite won't last forever but it hasn't shown any signs of dipping in several years now and is still very strong thanks to its almost cult following.

That's because they're using their stores for games they created in-house. Nobody bats an eye at that because that's just how it works. What people are taking issue with is Epic taking games that would have been multi-platform and paying publishers to only push them through the EGS, despite Epic having no actual hand in the development process.

I agree with your first point, that's exactly part of the reason this thread was made.

Not wanting to use another launcher is not a perfectly valid complaint though. You make it sound like pressing 1-2 buttons is a huge chore. Your hurtful comment solidifies my point further about how mad the mob mentality is.

Retarded questions deserve retarded answers.

You're being a proper cunt pretending to ask in good faith and the ignore the answers to start an argument, so maybe ask /v/ next time.

I'm still failing to understand how in any way that is a consumer issue though.

They seem like perfectly understandable reasons to want to keep using the service I already use when there is no advantage to start using a new service with less features. If they don't seem like good reasons to you then go ahead and use epic if you want, no one is stopping you, gaylord. It's not my responsibility to give the benefit of the doubt to a new company I have no stake in just because they might be better later on.

It is an inferior store by all margins compared to steam and gog and people already have most of their games on those platforms.
Why is it hard to understand that people might not like being forced to use it?

Having your games tied to multiple accounts and stores is not convenient. Also this

I'm not pretending about anything. So far, I've read some informative posts but some have lacked any real substance, like yours for example. I'm not ignoring the answers, I'm responding in regards to how innocuous and trivial they are. That is my point. I'm struggling to see what the big deal is. Apologies if the discussion is upsetting you user.

>Have you got any citation for this?
search engines are not your enemy

It's funny because I agree with you. There is nothing stopping these people from using both; with that said, why are they throwing so much hate towards Epic Games for competing?

I'm also not defending EGS. Their launcher is a piece of shit that does indeed lack features. Does it really matter though? You purchase the game, you play the game. That's it. That is the crux of my lack of understanding why gaymers are complaining. There just isn't an issue, yet they're complaining just for the sake of complaining. Maybe it's the cool thing to do in this day and age...

For the record, I'm hetero. Good effort staying calm in an online discussion though.

Again, I agree with your post.yoyr response was very loaded though. "People might not like being forced to use it" What do you mean by this? You're not going to try telling me that using a different launcher is some harrowing experience or something, are you? Not trying to be confrontational, it's just that no sane individual should give a solitary shit about having to use a different launcher.

>search engines are not your enemy
So no then, you don't. Thanks for stopping by user.

EGS offer no consumer reviews nor a consumer rating system. DOA shit chinese botnet launcher

>I'm struggling to see what the big deal is
>inconvenient
>insecure
>no linux support
>exclusives
proprietary software at its finest. i don't play games apart from killing floor but at least steam are not run by huge faggots.
not gonna do your job for you, lazy faggot. if you actually cared about knowing why people hate that trash you'd do your research instead of playing dumb.

Attached: Felli_3.png (1000x1173, 1.2M)

That store it's a bloated piece of crap. Why would I want to install chinese spyware?

If you don't mind installing a new launcher for each game you buy then good for you. People are getting really tired with uplay, origin, battlenet, bethnet and now epic being their own launcher for no reason and continue to offer worse service than steam and gog.
A lot of people like to have their games in one place which seems to be an alien concept to you.

Thanks for the post, genuinely. I agree that no reviews is a negative thing but I don't believe that inhibits people from doing their own research on whether or not a game is good by store reviews alone. People don't buy things right away anymore because of such a rich tapestry of online media available at their fingertips.

As for the Chinese botnet launcher thing, I see this as a crutch for most gamers a lot. A friend of mine used this excuse but hasn't got an answer when I question what important information they'd be harvesting. Are the Chinese interested in somebody's Fartnight scores?

Aside from my obvious joke paragraph above, why is a random Chinese company having your company somehow devastating for the average gamer? I understand that you personally would feel strong against using it for that reason, and that's exactly why I wanted to post here instead of /v/, but why does a "gamer" care when they don't even fully understand what they're saying? ITT: Mass generalisation

I was lurking in the same threads and found this image.

Haven't had time to set it up to test and check if it's all true yet though.

Attached: 1560228026131.png (1914x4402, 1.9M)

>get a crap ton of reasons why someone might not want to support epic
>well those are not REAL reasons imo since I don't agree and I have autism so I lack the ability to understand that other people might feel different things
good thread OP

Inconvenient is just a word with no meaning without context; how is opening another launcher inconvenient? I'm not trying to be rude, unironically asking this question for an answer. I have a Steam account and about four free Epic Games on their shit launcher. I don't see myself raising pitchforks with the rest of the mob about such a non-issue.

It's not an alien concept, and I appreciate your post. It's the up in arms about it that I do not understand; how is it such a blown out of proportion non-issue?

I can't find something that doesn't exist, only in your mind user. I've done enough research and can't find shit that you're talking about.

Here's a nice rundown:
reddit.com/r/fuckepic/comments/bs4kh6/rfuckepic_for_dummies_a_quick_breakdown/

Thanks genuinely for your post. I haven't seen this picture and am also going to look into it. Appreciate you linking it here.

Steam allows me to see the state of the game without having to jump through hoops because consumer reviews are in the front page of the game. This promotes good games and good corporate behavior like not releasing broken games @$60.00. Just to give one example of how the chinese botnet launcher is a no-no.

People are up and arms about it since epic is so aggressive about exclusivity deals which benefit no one. Sweeney also has said that "developers will choose who wins the storefront battle, not consumers" which gives me a very good reason to never buy anything from him.

I will never pay for a PC/MAC game. My Switch console is plugged into my TV and that's meant for gaming. I spend money on that.

Attached: 1560269853706.png (1320x748, 1.38M)

So let me get this straight, you made this thread on v probably a few times already, then got tired of anons shitting on epic and telling you to fuck off, so you came here hoping that user would finally agree with you and say everyone shitting on epic is a moron. But instead you just got the same reasons why people don't like it, probably because they are actually valid reasons, but you can't bring yourself to accept this and are determined to continue being contrarian. Got it. You can fuck off from here too. Try reddit next.

>t. gamer
They've been a whole host of trivial reasons, yeah I couldn't agree with you more. You might have missed the point of the thread in the first place. The question is why are gaymers getting their knickers in a twist about it? Did you not read the OP user?

Attached: file.png (1300x867, 1.73M)

It's not really about the exclusivity deals but the intentional lack of consumer reviews and consumer rating system

Thanks for linking this too user. It's quite long plus I'm going to need to find my sticky-notes to cover the plebbit logo; in any case, thanks again.

people would rather just use one platform for all their games. that's just how it is. also, all of my friends use steam so if i want to talk to them i can do it all from one place.
see pic related and fuck off

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-11 22-47-12.png (799x600, 79K)

It really baffles me how publicly anti-consumer sweeney is. I guess he knows that he can't win Steam or GOG in consumer friendliness.

Perhaps I just have more patience and/or don't mind scouring through reviews before I would otherwise make a game purchase. It's a good point, maybe "gamers" just don't have the patience. I still think it's ultimately a non-issue throwing fire on to the already blown out of proportion irrational hate but it's a point well made.

>why are people that have a hobby passionate about their hobby
Gee I dunno. That's a tough question. Maybe if you weren't autistic you could figure it out.

See reading your response lets me know that you're exactly the sort of person who can give me an answer as to why this upsets you so much. You're personally complaining about exclusivity, and that's fine, I respect your feelings on that, but why is it such a big deal as a consumer where you purchase a game from?

>irrational hate
Fuck off epic shill

>t. plebbit user
No see, your autistic hateful response is the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid. There has been some decent points so far in this thread and I've given nothing but respect towards people's views. Just because I cannot fathom what the big deal is over some of them shouldn't give you credence to cry over it.

How about you reread the thread.
>but convenience is a buzzword
Fuck off.

Oh boy, another one who leaked out of /v/. If you don't have any legitimate reasoning behind a bunch of manbabies crying over nothing, then I think it's you who needs to see a Doctor for that autism, user. You're not adding anything to the thread. Get lost please.

The fact I had to explain that to you means you are a fucking retard. You want gamers to spend days researching a single game? Only a NEET have that time. A non-issue you say? Retarded NEETs can also have an opinion even if is an opinion only a retarded NEET can come up with.

I get that. I agree that it's annoying. It's a perfectly valid point and again, I totally agree with them. Why are gamers getting so pissed off about it though? Boycotting in masses, mob mentality, just why?

>game is on epic and steam and gog
cool
>game is on epic only for a year, often out of the blue being pulled off of other storefronts, forcing me to use an insecure piece of software to play a game legally
not cool

it's like if a chinese grocery store bought exclusivity on milk
i don't NEED milk but i don't want to shop there in the first place

>tfw can't tell if this is bait or a real turboautist that doesn't understand that not everyone thinks like him

No it is irrational. I don't particularly like Epic in any way. I use Steam mostly for my games. It's just that there's some stupid "news story" about the issue, if you can even call them that.

Reminder that all egs haters are also chronic steamtards which automatically invalidate their opinion. Their only complaint is that games aren't available on drm platform of their choice

Where did I post it was a buzzword user?

DAYS? I think even at 10 WPM, you'd struggle to even come close to an hour for finding reviews for a game on Google.

>Boycotting
not sure about that. well, i think they got exclusive rights for borderlands which pissed a lot of people off. i mean gamers hate anything that you can't get on steam (or gog).

>why are a lot of people upset about these things that might make a lot of people upset
Do you have downs or something?

My guess is it could be similar to catching your wife cheating on you.

There's an implicit trust that you don't have to constantly vet what they are doing is legitimate and in your interest and that it's neutral at worst.

But once you catch them cheating you assume that it's not the first time they've cheated on you, just the first time they've been caught.

The hate the chinese botnet has generated is well deserved. Your opinion is discared, shill

1 click > 10 WPM. Fuck off epic shill. Steam is superior.

>500 games in Steam Library
>3 games in EGS
This is why no one wants so many launchers. Everything in one launcher is the best

I don't think the milk analogy works but I get what you're trying to say. It keeps leading me back to why it's such a trivial matter. No amount of complaining is going to change anything, especially in regards to how a company runs. Companies only care about making profits, it's common knowledge, yet these outbursts are continuing and futile in the grand scheme of things.

Milk or games, the constant screeching outbursts about how rustled gamers' jimmies are isn't going to change anything. It's pretty pathetic that there's such a large amount of them with the mob mentality.

>why are they throwing so much hate towards Epic Games for competing?
Bribing people not to sell their game on any other store is the opposite of competing

This has been one of the only reasons I do understand.

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.11M)

it is manipulative. Create a bubble most wont bother to look up reviews when ad pop ups.
Launcher is pushing game marketing on home page. Gives constant sales and profiles inviduals to sell customized for You sales (in the future).

google stadia game streaming is bad
epic games store is bad
steam is bad stopped making games bc holding store gave enough without risks.
gog is good no drm not perfect
games as a service, live services without dedicated servers are bad.
grey key sellers are scamming people and support credit card scammers

>bugmen trying to understand western mentality
You will never understand our superior ways, bug. Your primitive brains are the result of constant subjugation at the hands of your conquerors and after thousands of years of being everyone's bitch.

This has been the other side of the argument I've read through the grapevine. I understand that people love Steam, and that's completely fine, but why the mob mentality uproar? It's not like someone has inhibited them from playing any specific game whatsoever.

It's hard to let go of something you're so familiar with, some might even call it autistic. I understand as I'm a bit of a creature of habit with OCD and hoard everything. Personally, I'd only see a reason to get upset if a marketplace inhibited me from purchasing/playing a game, such as for living in a specific country. That would be a legitimate reason to get annoyed. These other matters however, albeit annoying at best, are just dumb.

You're just more cool, calm and collected than everyone, user. Is that the answer you wanted? Can you please fuck off now?

Has been shown to scrape data of other programs running without consent, it's owned by the chinese, you can't go a day without someone attempting to get into your account, and it's missing general consumer stuff like carts, reviews, forums that Steam and GoG do have.

I don't think they care about changing Epoc, I definitely don't.

It's more about raising awareness that this business is harmful to the industry among mainstream users who are the bulk of any income.

They will be able to continue doing it because they are bankrolled from Fortnite and Tencent/CCP but developers may listen when sales drop massively compared to games released normally on Steam. They might just suck down the big cash bonus from Epoc and call it quits though so who knows.

>why the hate
Because we don't want your cancerous ways to infect anything else. We want you and your cancer gone yesterday.

The reason you can easily research games now is because of user reviews and steam forums. Any epic exclusive game will not have this
Also shit like this
nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/19/epic-in-hot-water-over-steam-scraping-code/
and this
forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/01/16/new-fortnite-vulnerabilities-put-80m-player-accounts-at-risk/
and of course the crap they're pulling with buying games that were supposed to launch on steam

I would not give EGS any of my money now or ever.
Given the current Shenmue 3 whodunit, it is a foregone conclusion that state AGs will have to look into this now.
Shenmue just pulled a total bait and switch, and EGS has already been exposed as dating mining all things steam related on users computers.

Epic is showing us how not to launch a games distribution platform

Attached: Carl.png (610x780, 127K)

No, do you hate people with Down Syndrome or something?

This is a great little analogy, thank you. Just curious though, is the wife Steam or Epic?

I already stated that I don't particularly like Epic in any way, their launcher is a piece of shit that lacks features. This is an objective fact. Is calling me a shill the only thing you have to contribute user?

See above please.

Quite, but we all don't live in some sort of super nirvana-esque utopia where we get everything we want. It's not something I'd go out of my way to plaster stupid ASCII art everywhere over.

But is the consumer paying anything extra? How does this impact them?

>It keeps leading me back to why it's such a trivial matter.
not to be a fag about it, but it's far from trivial when you're talking about art (by which i mean games as mechanics sets rather than collections of visual and audio art)

>No amount of complaining is going to change anything, especially in regards to how a company runs. Companies only care about making profits, it's common knowledge, yet these outbursts are continuing and futile in the grand scheme of things.
don't care, still going to complain because it's bullshit masquerading as free market competition, and is often grabbing kickstarter projects that originally promised steam keys as well which basically boils down to a kind of fraud

In the comtext of the thread the wife is Epic but in this industry it could be pretty much anything.

E.g. video game journalism was the wife during Gamergate

Why is it wrong for developers to prefer the Epic brand when they offer them a better service then?

10/10 post user. I'll personally concede the game reviews thing is a good point now. I guess those of who are well versed in knowing what to look out for aren't impacted much in the ways of being manipulated so from a gamer perspective, that would be quite useful.

What is your opinion, relatable to your reviews post, on gamers plastering review pages of Borderlands with negative reviews?

I'm not sure why you decided to take your concern trolling to Jow Forums. /v/ will not only give you more replies, they have no fucking clue what they're talking about and will actually get mad.

This did make me chuckle user.

Attached: file.png (848x1227, 1.28M)

That picture reads like some retard just discovered Process Monitor and assumed he was a security expert as a result. The program is accessing the certificate store and Internet Explorer components because that's what happens when you use the Windows API for internet connections. Also the reason it looks like it's accessing a DLL in Fiddler's folder is because Fiddler puts its installation directory in PATH. The Epic launcher is then loading a DLL by name, which causes Windows to scan every directory in PATH. Also 8888 is Fiddler's default reverse proxy port, so the bit about the launcher "talking to itself" is wrong too.

Literally the only thing of interest there is the tracking script. The steam scraping seems to be bullshit too, as I can't see it doing anything notable unless I try to add friends from my Steam profile.

Attached: 1361408896832.gif (300x192, 862K)

For fucks sakes this is worse than inviting a baptist minister to a PBS documentary on evolution. Why do you guys keep responding.

The client itself is shit compared to others, but the big reason I can see people getting upset over is Epic's attempt to force a dominant market position by purchasing exclusivity.

Attached: 1438059713600.webm (350x350, 611K)

you seem to be confused.

Epic isnt offering them a better service. they are offering them money to NOT distribute on steam.

Okay chang.

Feel free to prove anything I said wrong. I won't hold my breath though.

>but why the mob mentality uproar
because strong competitor devalues their steam library

steam isn't just a digital store, it's a clever skinner box with all these sales, minigames, market, cards, levels, badges all that shit. it hooks you up and make you feel personal about steam.
And something other appears and try to forcefully disconnect these junkies from their drugs. Of course they become mad