Is self taught programming a meme?

Is self taught programming a meme?

Attached: 1550977064117.jpg (740x784, 363K)

No. Only autists and college bootlickers need a degree to program.

All meaningful learning is self-directed, meaning self-teaching is the only way to retain information.

Ideally, you'll use your newfound skills to create your own source of income instead of sucking up to existing software companies expecting a job offer.

What about getting into a field that needs the degree such as theoretical computer science, bioinformatics, cryptography, etc.

Sorry, mixtapes there.
Sage.

even at college you will be mostly self taught. but not having a degree is a bit of a meme, a college degree gets you really far ahead in life. you can do well without one but it will hold you back.

>you can do well without one but it will hold you back.
Isn't this a self-contradictory statement?

You can do well without one but, in all likelihood, not as well as you'd have done with one.

not really. what I mean is you can have quite a good career without a college degree, but with a degree you would be further ahead and better off. if you're the kind of genius who can get a great job without a degree, with a degree you can get a better job and easier.

Wouldn't be better to have a good portfolio than a degree?

How high must that degree go. Is a BSc sufficient?

All of college is 80% "self-taught" meaning knowledge acquired from the book. Lectures are mostly a meme unless your professor is really good.

College is about testing and accreditation.

You don't even need to know a language to program.

Attached: 1555763749637.png (378x320, 303K)

It highly depends on your field

This

College is about cultural marxism and getting you in debt.

the thing I found with lectures was that they were mostly useless unless you already read what the prof is talking about and are familiar with it, otherwise they tend to be too fast

That as well.

Also, other than the accreditation, college provides a road-map for acquiring the knowledge that, at least in theory, is enough to do a job. That structure is really beneficial for a lot of people.

i think it's fine to teach yourself, all the shit you learn in uni you can learn using the internet, but for some people the pressure uni gives makes it a more viable option if you don't already have the drive/motivation to put in that GRIIIIND yourself, since when you're teaching yourself you get to skip the shit you don't care about even if it might be useful info

that said i still prefer self taught programmers mostly as a mindset thing, they're the ones who actually give a shit about what they're doing. the compsci degree guys who have literally nothing on their resume/portfolio and just the degree, they tend to half-ass things. this is also why the fuckin "hey let's teach 5yos to code, everybody can CODE!" thing is fuckin stupid like no let them get into it on their own if they genuinely enjoy it, the more shit you teach kids in schools the more likely they are to hate something they otherwise would've loved. it's kinda like that AR shit and what it did to make children hate reading

Self taught programming can work if you have a plan for what you are going to learn and a roadmap of the topics you should cover to understand what you are doing. A lot of people end up paying for this in addition to getting feedback on how they are doing and an enforced schedule by going to college and getting a degree. If you self teach but end up meandering through topics that interest you, it is likely that there will be huge gaps in your knowledge, whereas someone with a degree probably does not have these gaps. If you self teach while sticking to the textbooks and curriculum guide of a decent program you should be good to go.

not going to comment on the others but good cryptography usually requires a strong maths background which generally implies being smart and/or or receiving a good education from either school or home while growing up, if you had such a background you likely had an easy path to university with a good chance for scholarship options
you can get a job in crypto without a uni degree but if you weren't good at maths before 18 and you have to learn computer science on top of that you'll be around 25 and will have been competing with people that have a good decade head start on you

a college degree is necessary to get a foot in the door at some places where non-technical hr staff use it as a litmus test for being qualified to do the job regardless of anything else on your cv, getting jobs without a degree becomes harder as a result but not impossibly so
it's often said that university is mostly for industry contacts, you can get contacts and friends working in places that will let you bypass the rubber stamping

A university degree isn't just about learning.

A college degree increases the likelihood of a candidate coming from a good middle-class or higher home where he was raised in a manner that makes him a reliable and responsible person.

It's basically a pedigree stamp for humans. Also the closest thing to an IQ test since actual IQ tests are illegal thanks to niggers.

>needs the degree

You only need a degree if the government requires you have one for certification purposes.

IE Some kind of regulated profession.

i can't tell if these are balls or ultra phat lips

Holy cringe. This isn't true in the least. Some past projects on github are a better test than a degree.

Never EVER do more than 4 years of school.

puffy!

It's up to interpretation.

Heh.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 23.29.42.png (530x517, 309K)

why does Jow Forums deter others from pursuing higher education?
college was the best 4 years of my life
it really opens you as a person
you can totally tell when someone didnt go to collage. they usually have poor hygiene, poor communication skills, are close-minded, and empathy.

When has knowledge ever needed a degree.
>I took the same course but all the information I gained is encrypted until I pay tuition

>close-minded
The irony of putting this in a hasty generalization.

what do you consider being open-minded is ?

>college was the best 4 years of my life
>it really opens you as a person
lewd

I don't know about others but I don't want to "deter" anyone from going to college if so they wish. I myself did it and I don't regret it.
However, I feel that its actual, intrinsic value is grossly overestimated by contemporary society. A university degree should not be de facto almost mandatory for many jobs as it is now.
That's why I encourage people to pursue a career without a degree if possible, and if they succeed, they have my respect.
The current absurd demand for college graduates is not backed by an actual need. Hence, if supply decreases, so will demand as well.

I think it has to do with being fed the lie that higher education is the only way to not be stuck in dead-end blue-collar till you die, and then being fed that lie by everyone in your life from a very young age, and then going into debt pursuing the lie, wasting 4 years in High School 2: electric boogaloo, discovering that your piss easy degree is as worthless as a high school degree, everyone else has one now, what makes you special or more desirable from any other applicant?

>What about getting into a field that needs the degree such as theoretical computer science, bioinformatics, cryptography, etc.

Depends, are you actually good at those things? The answer is "if you can do it and can prove you can do it, sure".