Anyone else using microG? I have been using it for over a year now and so far I am pretty happy with it...

Anyone else using microG? I have been using it for over a year now and so far I am pretty happy with it. I am just waiting for the moment I will need an app with GSF to punish my autism.

Attached: microg-640.jpg (640x360, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microg.org/
lineage.microg.org/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/questions-abound-as-malicious-phpmyadmin-backdoor-found-on-sourceforge-site/
gerrit.aicp-rom.com/q/status:open
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

never even heard of this shit, what's it supposed to be?

what is advantage of using microG over the stock one?

no, nothing i have needs googleshit to work
even whatsapp works fine

Isn't that deprecated now? It hasn't been updated in a year.

If you mean the app it was just updated but yes, the versions before that were quite old.
When it comes to the project github is active.
The project apparently even got some funding.

microg.org/

I use it.
Shit's great. I get more battery life and less botnet. What's not to like?
>pico gapps over 100 mib
>microg about 10 mib

LineageOS for microG is pretty good, user lineage.microg.org/

Was going completely gapps-free from 2015 to 2018. Currently the most polished custom ROM for my phone has gapps included so whatever, decided to check them out. Google lens is pretty cool, as well as NFC payments, other than that I won't miss anything when I find a better ROM.

So far the maps is buggy, so I can't use Uber. But so far, it's good enough.

Unfortunately I need Maps and Auto. Otherwise I'd switch in a heartbeat.

nope

last time I've checked the repos were filled with issues and pretty dead
I wish there was some heavy backing behind it, like an open source foundation that companies depend on it so you get that boring money coming
unfortunately in my line of duty a phone is too important, if I can't open my banking app because microG broke I might lose a leg

how do push notifications work without googledad? background pulling?

>can't use Uber
That's a feature

I don't understand the advantage. Aren't the majority of sensitive things (maps, push notifications, etc.) still going through Google servers?

no idea
i don't have any gapps shit but whatsapp notifications still work fine

You should try that again, because Maps work perfectly and surprisingly fast for me.

MicroG doesn't break bank app functionality, it can only trick them to think Google Play Services are present. You also use Magisk Hide for that. Look into this, it should work.

If you have microG installed, you don't even need a Google account to use your phone, so your phone doesn't touch their servers.
Everything works fine even without that - see pic related.

Attached: 5225.png (997x462, 43K)

I'm from a 3rd world shithole. Here a lot of banks use the same company for security (ironically they're from the US) and they check every fucking thing. Like even if the gstore app isn't installed it refuses to open. It constantly adds new checks, even filesystem and makes you revalidate your account on any error. I know it's my problem not microG's but I don't want to install Magisk or a lot of XDA shit because I'm very paranoid. Trusting microG and Lineage is already too much for me.
The point is, I'll probably won't have the time to fix it or play cat and mouse with google and all the retards in this world.

>I know it's my problem not microG's but I don't want to install Magisk or a lot of XDA shit because I'm very paranoid. Trusting microG and Lineage is already too much for me.
But there's nothing to blindly trust, it's a FOSS project. You can see the source of everything and verify that your device indeed doesn't touch Google servers if you so choose.
>The point is, I'll probably won't have the time to fix it or play cat and mouse with google and all the retards in this world.
No, microG itself functions by installing two apps after you boot your ROM without gapps flashed and turning on or off a few toggles.

>If you have microG installed, you don't even need a Google account to use your phone, so your phone doesn't touch their servers.

That pic implies it still touches Google servers. While you don't need a Google account, they still can identify you by your device.

But how when you can turn the toggle off and still not add a Google account, but have notifications and Google Play Services dependant software working?

Only cucks use Google Play Services, roll like a real G and use GrapheneOS. Fuck having that Google borg dick shoved up your asshole.

Sure, it's not tied to a Google account, but it's still tied to your device; and probably IP address, and browser finger printing, and a million other data points Google has.

That's not how it works, read about it. Also, what browser fingerprinting? It's not like you're forced to use Chrome or anything. Kiwi Browser has full extension support and if you use Canvas Fingerprint Defender among other extensions - you're golden.

Facebook programs have their own services actually.

I rushed and got myself an unrootable phone.
I can only disable google shit.
If anyone knows any rooting solutions for the lg h635(lg stylo 1) please do tell.
I dont really use anything fom google's store though. Except steam i guess.

Yeah. Apps like telegram, signal, tuta create a persistent notification so they can run in the background.

Haven't used it. Keen to know any problems people have seen though before I do

I've been using it since early 2017, there are little issues with maps but overall it's working fine.

Unless you are reading and fully understanding the source then you are blindly trusting. user probably doesn't have time or skill to do this, I know I don't.

No idea about that phone, but if you find a way to install LineageOS, you can be Google-apps free and use Yalp to install apps from the play store.

>Unless you are reading and fully understanding the source then you are blindly trusting.
Do you not see how these two statements are contradictory? And no, no developer can just push possibly malicious features and have them make it into a ROM without approval and testing. So, one more reason you're not blindly trusting anyone (as you can see the source code of possibly malicious commits as well).

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/questions-abound-as-malicious-phpmyadmin-backdoor-found-on-sourceforge-site/

First Google result. Custom roms are much less audited than this stuff. It's also quite common to be sent to some 2shared or androidfilehost mirror when following a guide, anyone can control that specific mirror. I imagine if I felt like writing a guide I could do so in php, have it serve up a different link one in every x views and reduce the chances someone would see it as malicious. For the most part people are fine if they follow some guide directly from xda or from the tool authors website but there isn't really a chain of trust like is aimed for with formal distribution.

>2012
>sourceforge
Come on. Everyone knows they aren't trustworthy and haven't been for a long time. I think most developers have dropped sourceforge a long time ago, you can also check MD5 and see all commits on github anyway. AICP has a great solution for example.
gerrit.aicp-rom.com/q/status:open

Been using it for years. Great project, fuck Google. Along with Yalp/Aurora I have minimized the botnet capabilities of my phones and reduced battery usage too