MONITOR THREAD: IPS/VA/TN TECH EDITION

which of these technologies is best for your eyes?

does refresh rate and contrast ratio have an effect on your eye health?

what's your experience with IPS/VA/TN monitors, and 144Hz monitors? was it worth it? was it bullshit?

blog post: i'm looking to spend $300-$1200 on a good monitor; gaming and video production/editing. 2 monitors is a possibility, but mobility is also important. any suggestions or reference links?

pic related: it's an entry level 144Hz monitor. Asus VG278Q.

Attached: VG278Q.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ENDXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/gp/product/B009S750LA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
techspot.com/review/1681-asus-rog-swift-pg27uq/
4kmonitor.com/best-ultrawide-monitor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

TN panels have horrendous viewing angles. is there any benefit to using them over like, an amoled?

different panel types for different duties

I've got a 43" 4k 60hz IPS panel, and a 27" 144hz VA panel.

>which of these technologies is best for your eyes?
They're equally terrible

>does refresh rate and contrast ratio have an effect on your eye health?
No

>what's your experience with IPS/VA/TN monitors,
TN has shit viewing angles, ok meh contrast and shit colors.
VA has average contrast, slighly less terrible colors and extra LCD blur.
IPS has shit contrast, bleeding, acceptable colors and ok viewing angles.

>and 144Hz monitors? was it worth it? was it bullshit?
Not many things run at 144Hz and even if you just use it for browsing, you'll never want to go back to 60Hz so in a way that's bad.

My recommendation.
Get a CRT for gayming.
Get a good IPS panel for meme editing/production.
Ignore 144Hz and curved gimmick memes.

Attached: lzexsrWTe31r6uf1uo1.gif (500x375, 204K)

Legit looking for CRTs from Goodwill

Look for Sony Trinitrons, Viewsonic and NEC.
Avoid "flat" ones unless you want a distorted image.

Attached: IMG_20161224_183046.jpg (1944x2592, 2.73M)

2small

144hz makes 60hz look choppy. It's hard to believe until you use it yourself but the difference is as clear as 60hz and 30hz

I bought two of these last year
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ENDXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are pretty great for gaming. 0 input lag, 2k res, 165 refresh rate. Absolutely worth it. Just make sure you got somethin like this cause the stands are beefy
amazon.com/gp/product/B009S750LA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached: IMG_20190611_224734.jpg (4032x3024, 626K)

>4k
>144hz
>quantum dot ips
>hdr
>1000 nits brightness

is there any other monitor that can match this without the rgb lighting shit? i was looking at this for 3d animation mostly.

Attached: 171789-632310-full[1].jpg (1330x1000, 122K)

Not sure where and when you've seen 30 Hz monitors, so I don't see how you're making the comparison.
>144hz
Well, it was hard for me to believe that 75 Hz makes a difference, but some games for example feel like they're running at 60 fps even if they're not purely because of refresh rate. And responsiveness is improved in some that do run at 60 or above. Other than that, I didn't notice much difference.
Also, don't you need a top tier GPU for such high refresh rate monitors as well as spending a good amount of money on one to begin with?

Perhaps something that doesn't cost 2000 dollars. I guess you'd also have to spend close to that on a GPU to actually make this thing run at the resolution and refresh rate it is marketed with.
techspot.com/review/1681-asus-rog-swift-pg27uq/
It also has a fan which is mandatory to use and is audible... Not sure about that one for 2000 dollars.

144hz on budget PC is only worth if you only play esports games. If you play normal games on budget PC choose 75hz. If you got that money then go for what you like

Is WQHD still a meme or not?

It was never a meme, 4k was and still is the meme, for gaming at least. WQHD is a still a sweet spot for price, fidelity and performance.

Okay, thanks user.

I'm going to get myself the LG C9. Convince me otherwise, Jow Forums.

Will be frequently used as a PC monitor.

LG 27GL850 officially launched, which means available soon hopefully
It will be the first monitor with those specs that's not a QC nightmare and a bad, prototype-tier product

dual 4k 27" vs ultrawide 38" for productivity?

VA on a budget, IPS if you have money to burn

Waiting on those AUO IPS 1080p 240hz panels.

>inb4 CRT shitters swarm the thread

I too enjoy non integer scaling for my blu rays and UHD blu rays.
At least you can get integer scaling of NTSC DVD shit with 400 horizontal pixels free, but still.

There is asus and acer. There are already eol and new models was announced. Knowing how bad haloing is on these monitors, new ones could be significant upgrade considering they will have 50% more dimming zones. Also there are tvs that are just as good or better, but they either dont have 4k/120hz input or cant use it anyway, because there is no gpu with hdmi2.1 and wont be for quite some time.

just fyi 144hz on these monitors can only run with reduced chroma and 8 bits (also reportedly adds input lag), so if you are thinking hdr, it is effectively 98hz monitor.

>Not sure where and when you've seen 30 Hz monitors, so I don't see how you're making the comparison.
Old hdmi ports can't go past 30 Hz on 4k. It's noticeable.

Daily reminder the cheaper one without the FALD can run 10bit at 144hz

4k on monitors are still a meme no matter the screen size.

Pic very related: 4k 32'' IPS monitor on Windows 10 with scaling enabled.

Attached: nazi_win10.png (428x389, 77K)

I'm waiting for them. Kicking myself for throwing all mine out over the years... need tips on which to get/where to buy

>Old hdmi ports can't go past 30 Hz on 4k. It's noticeable.
Well, fair, but it's not like this is ubiquitous and everyone and their grandma have 4K monitors.

you can't use 32 inch 4k without scaling?

you can but depending on your distance to the monitor it's still small especially if you are coming from an old 23'' FullHD.

The thing is that i'm actually on a 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor that i would like to upgrade to a 32 inch (i prefer one single big monitor than dual monitor setup)
The only reasonable resolution for 32inch monitors seems 4k, but, I don't like to deal with scaling and font sizes to much.

I would stay at 27'' 1440p with either 75Hz if you are on a budget or 144Hz if you plan to upgrade your GPU within the next two years or are already on gtx 2070+

If you plan on dumping 2 screens for one ultra wide screen check out this guide to get an overview of what's on the market.

4kmonitor.com/best-ultrawide-monitor/

240hz tn, couldn't be happier

>TN
>couldn't be happier
Pick one and only one.

Attached: 0.png (862x459, 218K)

>viewing angle
>at home

Attached: 1509348532477s.jpg (224x250, 8K)

>hilariously bad viewing angles are good
Cope fucking harder, I don't know what else to say.

>viewing angles
>at home

Attached: 1527735517752.png (880x1232, 96K)

>green text

> viewing angles

How many angles do you view your screen from? I tend to sit in front of my monitor and look at it, but maybe I'm autistic.

Supposed minimum response times. The picture quality just isn't good enough compared to IPS panels. I don't see any reason to get them really. You're deluding yourself if you think you can differentiate milliseconds.